Catch of the Day

Story Info
Man saves transforming dolphin girl, she repays him nicely.
6.1k words
4.45
15.3k
34
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

(All characters are adult aged.)

"Here is your forecast for today; partly cloudy, a twenty percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, winds east at five miles per hour, high of eighty-five," the weather radio's monotone voice announced. I tapped the radio off and finished my cup of coffee. Today was going to be a good day.

I tossed away a junk mail letter which screamed in red letters WILLIAM MORELAND, YOU MAY HAVE ALREADY WON! The electric bill was important, so I threw that on top of my closed laptop and headed out the door. No worries about electric bills today, no worries about the office, no thoughts of that bitch Mindy who broke up with me two weeks ago. No; today was about fishing, and the weather was going to be just perfect.

Chirp-chirp greeted my truck as I used the fob to unlock the doors. Damn, the seat was already warm. Such is life in Florida. At least I didn't have to worry about defrosting the windows! My 16' aluminum boat was already hitched on the trailer attached to my truck, and in no time, I was cruising down the highway, thinking of bluefish, groupers and red snapper.

The seas had only the slightest chop, and the breeze felt refreshing, rewarding the senses in ways that only salty air can. After getting the boat in the water, I moored it, parked my car and checked my gear.

"Ok, I got my rods, my tackle, two pounds of frozen squid, life jackets, flares, radio is good, got my Leatherman multi-tool, a filet knife, and a cooler full of Squirt and ham sandwiches. I'm golden," I said to myself. I untied the rope attached to the dock and started the 250 HP outboard engine. It roared to life with a coughing growl which spit bluish-gray smoke in the air. The marine attendant waved as I slowly backed my boat out of the harbor. I gave him a polite nod in reply and headed out.

I guess it's not very wise to head out to sea alone, especially on a Thursday, when traffic would be lighter and help would be fewer and farther between, but I liked the thinned crowds. There's nothing more irritating than having an enormous ocean and feeling cramped by the ten thousand jerks crowding over the same fishing hotspot. Today, though, it was just me, the wind, the water, and the fish.

My fish finder was already getting hits, so I set anchor over the rock pile. I rigged up my rod with a large jig-head and a chunk of still icy squid. Dropping the line in the water, I was rewarded almost instantly by a sharp tug. I set the hook and reeled up a keeper sized red snapper. My mouth watered as I envisioned grilled fish, boiled new red potatoes and ice cold beer for dinner. Just my luck, I knew that every time I catch a fish on the first cast, the rest of the day will be mediocre. The first fish bit willing enough, but his buddies skedaddled from the reef.

"Little bastards," I cussed. I was hoping to catch at least a few more fish from this rock pile before moving on, but the fish make the rules, I just play the game. I started the outboard again and headed toward my second target. Along the way, I noticed a large thrashing commotion in the water.

"What the hell?" I muttered, turning the boat in the direction of the disturbance. As I approached, my mind went from curiosity to horror. I saw a dolphin caught in a mess of line and rope that somehow attached itself to a marker buoy. The dolphin was panicked, but I could see the beast was beginning to tire from exhaustion. The nearest conservation officer would probably be half an hour away, and the marine mammal did not have that kind of time to spare. I crept my boat up alongside the struggling animal and assessed the situation. Its mouth and pectoral fins were caught snuggly by the rope. Taking out my filet knife, I leaned over the side of the boat and cut the line by the dolphin's pectoral fins first. I figured if it panicked and tried to bite me, its mouth would still be caught by the rope for now.

"It's ok, I'm not going to hurt you, just lie still, easy, easy," I said. Strangely enough, it almost seemed as if the dolphin understood my words and tried to cooperate with me. I knew the creatures were smart, but I never thought they could grasp a situation like this. Working the knife, I freed its fins, then made my way to the snout.

"Now don't you bite me, I'm just trying to help," I said calmly. I ran my hand across its smooth, silky skin. It gave an audible gush of air from its blow hole. The dolphin's eye stared into mine almost sorrowfully. I had seen countless hundreds of dolphins while fishing or even just driving along the coastal highways, but I never touched one before. It was a cool experience, and I hoped I could do something to help the magnificent creature.

Within no time, I managed to free the dolphin from its bonds. It seemed to rest for a moment or two next to my boat, then it swam off, but not before kicking a large splash of water from its tail all over me and my boat.

"Gee, thanks," I said sarcastically as the dolphin swam away with more vigor. I hauled up the remaining line and rope, trying to prevent another hapless creature from falling victim to the mess. I looked behind my back, and what were once puffy cumulus clouds now looked more threatening.

"Twenty percent chance, my ass," I said as I heard a very distant rumble of thunder. I was pissed. I had only one fish to show for the day, spending a long time freeing the dolphin. One fish would be enough for dinner, but I was hoping for a freezer full. The storm began to encroach as I started back for shore. I'll admit the cloud cover felt refreshing, but the prospect of being electrocuted by a lightning bolt was not too appealing.

As I headed in, I rode parallel to a beach. I saw a woman swimming way too far out, much further than the marker buoys. Even an alert lifeguard would be hard pressed to see her from such a distance. She appeared to be struggling.

"Help!" the blonde haired girl shouted. She seemed to bob up and down, struggling from the now choppier sea.

"Shit, what am I, a lifeguard today?" I asked myself as I veered the boat closer to the struggling woman. She saw me and flailed her arms wildly, screaming and taking water in her mouth. She seemed to disappear under the water for a second, then reemerged, gurgling and panicking.

I reached for her hand, but she went under again.

"Damn it, we'll I'm already wet from the dolphin," I thought to myself. Luckily, my pockets were empty, I was already barefoot, and my multi-tool was sitting on the boat dashboard instead of in my belt sheath. I shrugged and dove in the water. The water was somewhat murky, but I could still make her arms out. I dove deeper and grabbed her hand, pulling upwards with all my might. I wasn't the greatest swimmer, and an even lousier diver, and my lungs ached for air as I pulled the woman to the surface. She was unconscious.

I lurched over the side of the boat and got back on board, then managed to hoist the woman onboard as well.

"Mayday, mayday, mayday, this is Amber Jack III to coast guard, declaring an emergency," I shouted in my two-way marine radio.

"Amber Jack III, Coast Guard, declare your emergency," a woman replied.

"I'm 1.5 nautical miles from New Smyrna, I just pulled out a girl who swam passed the barriers and now she's unconscious, I'm beginning CPR," I announced.

"Roger, would you prefer an airlift or an EMT at the port?" she replied.

"EMT at the port, notify them I'll be there within five minutes," I replied.

"Roger, Amber Jack III, Coast Guard copies." she said. I began CPR on the now blue woman. Had I not been in an adrenaline fueled moment, I would have noticed she was absolutely gorgeous. Her body was the type shown off on those Spring Break Gone Wild type videos. Her hair was just a shade lighter than wheat-gold, and had a crimped or wavy style about it, even when wet.

I began CPR with chest thrusts and breaths. After only a few repetitions, she coughed back to life, spitting up water. I grabbed a blanket from my emergency kit and wrapped it around her. She looked up at me with eyes bluer than the sea itself. Her big, pouty lips shivered in shock, even though it was still balmy outside. The storm began to get nearer, and I gunned the engine to race back to shore.

An ambulance, fire engine, and two police cars were already waiting at the dock, along with an expected crowd of onlookers. Throwing my rope to a firefighter, he docked my boat while two other first responders helped the woman onto a stretcher.

"I stabilized her, she's breathing, but she's in shock," I told the medics. They nodded, applying an oxygen mask to her face and wrapping her with more blankets. They did a vitals check and rushed her into the waiting ambulance. The ambulance raced off toward the hospital just as the story hungry media arrived.

The officer questioned me and I gave an account of what had happened, starting off with the dolphin.

"You're a regular hero today, aren't you?" he said.

"Huh?" I replied.

"Saving a dolphin, now saving a woman, you gonna rescue a cat stuck in a tree next?" he kidded.

"I'll leave that stuff up to those guys," I said, jerking my thumb towards the departing fire engine.

"Fair enough, so can I get your contact details?" the officer asked.

"Can I remain anonymous?"

"On the report, yes, but we need your info in case we have follow up questions," he said. I reluctantly agreed, and noticed one of the reporters was standing within earshot of the conversation. The reporter busily jotted down notes as I tried to give my contact info as quietly as I could. I didn't want to be bothered by the press.

"Well that'll about do it, Mr. Moreland. Good job today, great job, even. You did good work on the rescue and CPR," he said, patting me on the back. The rain began to fall.

"Yeah, but I only got one fish," I replied.

"Seems to me like you had the catch of the day," he said as he entered his squad car.

"Mr. Moreland, Mr. Moreland, how does it feel to be a hero?" the nosy reporter asked.

"Wet," I replied.

"What was going through your mind when you jumped in?" he asked.

"I hoped I could get back in the boat," I replied honestly.

"Were you frightened?"

"Of what?"

"Well, you know New Smyrna is the shark attack capital of the world," he replied.

"All I saw was a dolphin today," I said.

"A dolphin?" he asked.

"Yeah, it was tangled up in some rope," he said.

"Was it dead?" he asked.

"No, I cut the lines and set it free," I said.

"You saved a woman and a dolphin today?"

"I guess so; look, you've got enough to run your story, if you don't mind, I'd like to go home and get into some dry clothes and a wet beer," I replied. Heading toward my truck.

"The public loves these kinds of stories, Mr. Moreland. Gobbles it right up; you're going to be an overnight celebrity," he said almost licking his chops.

"I'll be yesterday's news tomorrow morning," I predicted. The dock attendant secured my boat to my trailer, and I left the rapidly dispersing crowd and the still hungry media.

On the way home, I stopped by the liquor store. I grabbed a case and headed towards the register.

"Hey, did you hear? Some dude saved a dolphin and a girl from drowning today," the cashier said. He had a thick Cuban accent and chomped down on an unlit cigar. I grunted my response.

"Hey, he kinda looks like...wait...it is you! You're the dude!" he said extending his hand to shake. I still had squid slime on my hand and deposited some on his hand; hey, he asked for it.

I went home, cracked open a few beers, and relaxed playing video games. It was Friday night, and here I was drinking beer in my living room, playing Halo Reach against what were probably ten year olds. Such is life.

Another day, another chance to go fishing, though I hoped to stay far away from my usual port so as to avoid contact with well wishers and excited crowds. I just wanted to catch some fish. Parking my truck and getting on the water was almost therapeutic. Gone were the throngs of idiot reporters, gone were the calls past two in the morning asking for interviews. Even Mindy, that bitch, called me up wanting to get back together again. Sure, all I have to do is show my mug on TV and she'd lay me in a heartbeat, the cold bitch.

Today was better than yesterday, catch-wise. I hauled in three sea trout, a decent flounder and a big bluefish. I was a good fifty miles farther north than yesterday's location, safe from the publicity (though I'm sure they had TV's this far north, too,) and generally left to my own devices. I hosed down the grime on the deck of my boat and began to scrub the rail.

I saw feet at eye level, make that feet inside a pair of sandals. I looked up and my heart skipped a beat; it was the girl I saved yesterday. But how, how could she be here? She wore the shortest jean-shorts ever known to man, and her button down shirt was tied in a knot, exposing a slender, tanned belly. Her hair was shimmering in the sun, amber as a Blue Moon beer, and those deep blue eyes. I couldn't believe how she looked, her breasts were perfect; sizeable but not grotesquely large, and if she wore makeup, she did it so well one could never guess.

"Hi," she said cheerily.

"H-hi," I stammered back.

"You're the guy who saved my life yesterday, aren't you?" she said, her hands were clasped together behind her back, and she flirtatiously rotated her right leg on the tip of her toes.

"Yeah," I replied.

"I wanted to thank you," she said.

"You're welcome," I said warmly.

"No I mean more than just words," she said quickly.

"Oh, that's alright, I'm sure you would have done the same in my situation," I said.

"Let me take you to dinner," she offered.

"I uh..."

"You're not married, are you?" I shrugged no. "Not seeing anyone?" she asked. Again I shook my head. "So where would you like me to take you?" she insisted.

"Really, I'm ok, really," I insisted. I had just gotten out of a bad relationship with a woman who was attractive as a model but as cold as an ice sculpture. I didn't want to start a relationship with a woman who would hero-worship me and lead us both down the path to heartbreak.

"I heard you also saved a dolphin," she mentioned.

"Yeah, that was no big deal either," I replied.

"Well if I can't thank you, could the dolphin?" she inquired.

"What?"

"I'm sure the dolphin was very happy you saved her," she said.

"Who said it's a her?"

"Oh, well I just assumed you were in the business of rescuing damsels in distress," she giggled lightly. Her laugh was intoxicating. Picture Bo Derek from the movie 10, and increase the sexiness tenfold. She was wearing me down. I sighed.

"Do you like seafood?" I asked.

"I LOVE seafood!" she exclaimed.

"Good, because instead of dinner, would you like to meet at Platt's Park for a seafood barbecue tomorrow at noon for lunch?" I offered.

"Not at your house?" she asked with a hint of disappointment.

"There are nice palm trees, street performers, and I'll let you buy me a gelato and we'll be even. By the way, my name is William Moreland," I said, extending my hand.

"Meredith Meris," she answered.

"Pleased to meet you Meredith," I replied.

"Very pleased to have met you," she said, smiling warmly and staring into my eyes. She reluctantly let go of my hand, letting her fingers brush mine as they departed.

"Tomorrow at noon?" I asked.

"Tomorrow at noon," she agreed. I dropped my sponge out of my left hand and fumbled trying to grab it. When I looked up, Meredith was gone.

"Weird," I mumbled.

I could barely sleep that night. I kept thinking of Meredith. She haunted my dreams, even awake I closed my eyes and saw hers.

"Oh come on, she's not even that good looking," I said aloud, but my heart responded "oh yes she is."

***

The next morning came and I gingerly snacked on a donut, thinking of my upcoming lunch. I'd probably blow it. I'd say something stupid, and that would be it. With a feeling of self-defeat, I packed up the necessities for the picnic and headed toward the park.

Meredith was already waiting for me. She had a park bench set up with a fancy table cloth and a bottle of wine on ice, but none of that mattered, I saw only her. She wore a sky blue dress which revealed much of her perfectly smooth legs, her lips were a luscious, shiny, cherry red, and she wore a wide brimmed hat that made her look dainty and naughty at the same time. Luckily, I held the cooler of fish in front of my crotch, hiding the wood I was now sporting.

"Would you like some help with that?" she offered.

"No, no, I'm good," I quickly answered.

"Then perhaps you'd like something to drink?" was her next suggestion. She waved an empty wine glass.

"Sure, why not?" I responded, standing behind the cooler, hoping my cock would behave long enough to make it to the picnic table. I caught her staring at my crotch, and my boner had not fully subsided. She looked up at me and smiled devilishly.

Sitting across from Meredith, she poured the ice cold wine and handed me the glass, letting her warm fingers bump into mine. She got up from her side of the table and sat next to me.

"I'd prefer to get a better view of the ocean," she said. She let out a somewhat forced sounding yawn, stretched her arms and let her arm rest against my back. Fucking hell, she's putting on a move only a sleazy guy would attempt on his high school sweetheart.

"So talking about the ocean," I said, trying to ignore all of her advances, "what was with you swimming so far from shore? I mean even an Olympic swimmer would think twice venturing that far into shark infested waters."

"I don't fear sharks," she said confidently.

"Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they're not there," I said.

"Oh, I know. There are lots of sharks in the sea. But they won't bother me," she said matter-of-factly, and it irritated me.

"Well you almost became fish food," I responded.

"I didn't, thanks to a brave, selfless, handsome young man," she said, scooting her knee up to mine.

"I uh, better start the barbecue," I replied, and I think my nervousness irked her, but didn't readily discourage her. I filled the grill with charcoal briquettes and doused it in starter fluid, then flicked a lit match on the fuel soaked coals. The flames ignited, at least on the grill anyway; I believe Meredith was hoping to ignite a different fire.

The fish cooked up nicely, and we enjoyed more wine, potato salad and cookies for dessert. The chat was mostly mundane and mildly flirty, but not nearly as steamy as it appeared Meredith wanted. We finished our food and continued talking.

"William, I uh, usually don't have to put this much effort into uh, attracting someone. Can I ask you something serious, are you...?"

"No, no," I chuckled, "no, I'm not. Look I recently got out of a bad relationship, and I just don't think I'm ready for another one," I said honestly.

"I can understand that, but whatever was between you and your last girl is water under the bridge. I can guarantee you, I'm like no one you've ever met before," she said. Little bit full of herself, but ok.

"I don't know, look, you're very nice, you're very pretty, and you're...well, you're very, very pretty, but I honestly think you might be still a bit traumatized by the near drowning. I think you look at me as some hero that saved your life, and the thing is, that'll pass. It's just an infatuation. I'm not your type," I said. She looked a bit sad when I said the words, but as brief as a Florida summer shower, she brightened again.

"William, may I make just one request of you?" she pleaded.

"What?"

"Tonight, meet me at Cooper's Beach, meet me at midnight. I will show you how I'm not like every other girl you've been with. I can tell deep down inside you're looking for the right person to be with. Perhaps it was fate that you saved me from certain death, and that we were meant to be together. Give me just this one chance at the beach tonight. If you still don't want to be with me, I'll respect your wishes and you'll never see me again," she said.

12