Catherine Ch. 31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Alright, alright!" Coming from Alice. "Now that ya'all finally got ya'alls butts out here, anybody for blueberry pancakes?" Alice looking around at the three of us.

"Me, me, me," from Erin, releasing her strangle hold on me. "Want to share a stack with me," asking Erin. To her, "Yeah..., I, guess." Not to much enthusiasm in that I hear. Is followed with my, "Erin and I will share a double stack, Alice," telling her. "Double blueberries too!" Where it's, "YEAH!" From Erin.

All of us sitting around the kitchen table, all of what was done or said, put aside to enjoy the moment.

The auditorium and I'm amazed at the turn out! Both seventh grade classes from Erin's school are here with their parents where it's been non stop series of introductions, well wishes and questions, being in uniform brings on other questions I politely answer.

Erin, with a constant stream of school mates she brings over to introduce; 'This is my dad," To my, "Nice to meet you," repeating the name of the boy or girl and parent standing next to Erin at the moment. I'm very impressed with my daughter's poise, manners and self confidence, saying the same to Sally as the last couple with son or daughter leaves us.

A general feeling of relief as every one now is making their way into the auditorium where Alice is already sitting in the same place the three of us were seated the last time. Her bad hip making it difficult for her to stand in one place for long. But it's Sally, me and Erin going down front to meet the judges and family's of the two boys that were selected from the last recital for the final return.

Two boys, one I call the, 'shy one,' who lights up when he sees Erin, I think he likes her. The other I've nicknamed the, 'entertainer,' he's a little to animated, maybe even to cocky. Both boys Sally was very impressed with the last time we were here -- music wise, different in style and presentation. But, who goes first to which the others are compared against. The order was determined by picking tightly folded pieces of paper and what ever number was written on that paper was the order in which the three would perform. Erin..., her number was three; damn the wait. But she seemed fine with it.

Shy boy is at bat, and Sally is totally focused in on him. And like the last time, a stroke mark or music note over something she hears, or sees. To me, it all sounded fine although the only time I've heard it played was my daughter practicing in Alice's music room.

The 'entertainer,' is up next. And like the last time, I thought to animated. Hand movement, facial expressions, posture but to me the music sound fine. Sally though, her very practiced ear, picked up something twice; two stroke marks after his name and notes about presentation.

Erin at bat. Being the only girl..., but she's my daughter! It was like night and day from the previous two. It was like..., she was the only one in the whole damn room. Sally commented on it the last time, "Erin was in the music, not just playing it." You could see in her face, every movement of her hands, the music wasn't just in her mind it was in her hands.

Over! I hear a sniffle, looking to my left, two women, tissues to their eyes. me, I have to look away so they don't see me trying to choke down the lump in my throat, or my deep breaths at trying to relieve the tightness in my chest.

The audience was asked to hold any appreciation acknowledgments until after all three had completed their performance. It wasn't subdued now; Sally sobbing her heart out. Dad, having to acknowledge the wetness in his eyes now. But it's the wait now.

Waiting is the worst part; I know! Hours and hours of boredom punctuated with moments of stark terror. How you handle it determines your out come; I know!

Refreshments in the area outside the auditorium seating. Coffee, soft drinks, bottled water, the murmur of people talking softly, Erin close to me, her classmates that were like groupies before, now politely hanging with their parents except; shy one. Who has come over to shake her hand; what a gentleman. I just better not catch you pawing my daughter any time soon; I know how to make people disappear.

The call at last to return to our seats; the three performers to their seats near the judges table. Then the announcements; Sally can barely contain herself. Dad.., if he could have thrown his hat in the air it would have hit the ceiling.

Congratulations, hugs, kisses, hand shaking, ecstatic mom, proud dad; part of me must have done something right. Three budding artist getting their picture taken together; I thought that was great, the togetherness. Dinner tonight will not..., be at the pizza and game place. This is big time.

Riding in the back seat of Sally's new car, Erin turning the envelope over in her hands; does she realize what it means what is in there?

My phone's vibrating buzz in my inside jacket pocket breaks into my thoughts of what is in that envelope and what it means to Sally and me. But it's peaking at the vibrating phone in my hand; I can't answer to it now. The phone going back into the pocket it came from along with seeing Sally's eyes in the rear view mirror looking back at me. To her, any call to me was, 'please don't let it be again.' Turning my head slightly from side to side letting her know it was nothing to do with the uniform!

How do you properly savor a day like this has been? Maybe by picking up my phone and scrolling through the dozens of pictures I took today. Proud mom, beaming daughter, proud dad too in a selfi of us three? Damn right!

Alice interrupting asking if I'm spending the night here. Telling her no, my room is paid for. Plus hoping a phone call John Wearing about a successful turn up, but I would be back early; Erin and I are going relic hunting in Alice's leased out farm fields. A muddy business this time of year with a early thaw and rain. My hope with my research into the skirmishes and battles that took place in this area will yield some interesting finds.

A kiss on the cheek from Alice, a tight hug and a long kiss on the cheek from Erin, she doesn't need dad to tuck her in. Sally, "I'll walk you out to the truck," she says. No awkward moments like in the past -- it's a warm tight hug with a long kiss good night and, "Drive carefully it's Saturday night," she says.

"Of course," telling her through the rolled down drivers side window.

Its Saturday night, my sudden reminder. Pushed back by all that has taken place this Saturday! That call earlier I left it inside my coats inside pocket.

And nothing since and just as late there as it is here. And what did she call it, "Clubbing? Dressed to party? Women expressing their inner selves..., other things too? Plus a hotel room -- what part of your inner self are you hinting at, Catherine?" Crossing my mind now.

Room TV on, not really paying attention to the movie, a check of my watch and the buzzing of my cell phone; it's John.

"What's up," my answering it.

"It didn't go." I hear. "Why, " asking him.

"You know that feature that caused so many lines of red data, they thought they had fixed and ran well under test in the lab," John's telling me.

"Yeah," my reply.

"Well not so good in the real world," John tells me. "So the decision by the powers that be was to go back to the old and let the lab sort it out..., again!" He tells me.

More questions and answers, John wanting to know how Erin made out. "WOW!" From his end when telling John all about it. To his dig of, " Your daughter must really take after her mother and you, who can only do left, right, left. And that's your feet!" He jabs me.

"I won't dispute that John." replying. "Her mom lives in her and she'll be just like her mom; I see it more and more."

"No Swaggart," John replies. "I bet she's a daddy's girl, through and through, with her mother brains of course!" He jabs me again.

"Good night John!" telling him.

"Oh and Swaggart..., are you still there," I hear before almost dropping the call.

"Yeah John, I'm still here," telling him.

"Expect a call from Howard too, I'm pretty sure we're going to be back down here Monday morning; it ain't over yet." He tells me.

"Thanks John, I'll leave my phone turned off; battery went dead or something." Telling him.

"See you..., again, Monday morning, Swaggart," John's last words before the call ends. Two reasons to be down town; a bit apprehensive about the second.

My phone buzzing again almost as soon as the call from John ended. The number and name..., and the time there the same as the time as here. Bail money -- my joking about it. Any other time I'd love to hear what may be going on there, but not now! To great a day for that, so her call goes to voice mail again.

Two more times this night my phone buzzing, two more times checking the number and name, two more times letting it go to voice mail, I'm surprised my phone hasn't melted; she doesn't like to be ignored.

Erin is already waiting for me as I pull to stop at Alice's back door. And just like yesterday Erin is waiting to greet me as I'm getting out of the truck. And again just like yesterday it's her leap into my arms to a big wet kiss to my cheek.

"I hope those are old clothes you wearing," asking Erin as I'm letting her back on the ground.

"Yep," she replies. "Mom helped me with these old things," she tells me.

"Good, " telling her, "It might get pretty muddy in some those fields we're going to.

With Erin and me making our way to the back door where Sally is standing there waiting for us. "You look very nice this morning." Complementing her on the way she's dressed. And not in the short terry bath wrap she greeted me in yesterday.

"Going somewhere," asking her.

"I have date," Sally replies.

"Well I didn't didn't think you were dressed for tramping through muddy corn fields; so who's the lucky date?" Asking now.

"Just a friend," She says in return.

"Lucky friend!" My return.

"He will be!" Where she leans into me with kiss on the cheek along with a squeeze of my right hand. Ends this little banter.

"Hey you Old Bat, I'm back! I hope you had a comfortable rafter to hang from last night." Saying to Alice as I walk up to her and place a kiss on her cheek.

"I'll bat you..., you..., rascal," she calls me again. "Now get some coffee and sit down and shut up!" Alice turning to me waving a spatula.

"A bit feisty this morning, she is!" Saying that as I look to Erin and Sally standing by the already set kitchen table. Erin laughing, Sally turning her head side to side offering nothing in reply.

Breakfast is always filling on Sunday mornings in Alice's kitchen.

"Thank you Alice, that was delicious as always. Erin and I are going to have to do a lot walking to work all that off; gesturing to all the empty dishes on the table; what do you think pumpkin?"

"I'm stuffed!" Is all I get back.

"Well I guess we better get our butts in gear and get out of here; what do think?" Asking her.

"Yep!" She replies.

"Old jacket, jeans boots; right?"

"Yep," I get again, as Erin is out of her chair heading for shed as Alice calls the addition off the kitchen.. Now a look to the two women still seated across the table from me. "See you two later," telling them, as up and out of my chair to walk around to give Alice a kiss on her cheek along with another thank you.

And now it Sally with her, "I'll walk out with you Bob," she tells me.

But as we're both just out side Sally takes my arm stopping me with her, "I won't be here when you get back," she's telling me.

Where it's my telling her, "Be careful and have fun!"

"I always am and always do!" Is what she tells me in.

return.

But then it's Erin with her, "Dad..., are we going today?" Her standing there next to my truck a hand on her hip.

"Sure pumpkin; I'm on my way."

But as I start to walk away it's Sally, "Bobby wait!" She tells me. And with that she steps into me with a light kiss to my lips is followed by, "Thank you..., we were always good together." She follows with.

"Yes we are," telling her in return. Then it's into the truck and a wave to Sally before I do a turn around to leave with Sally I see waving as I look back in the rear view mirror.

Saying good bye to my daughter is the hardest thing I ever do. And I've done it to many time in her young life.

But today was a good day for the two of us. It wasn't till that last field that we really started finding things; my metal detector beeping almost every where we stepped. Nothing of any significants, just things you would expect dropped or lost in the heat of a skirmish, two scouting parties suddenly stumbling into each other, moving, maneuvering in the early morning mist and fog that settles in these valleys and hollows; never a conclusion; just a fade away until another time and place to pick it up again. My ToPo map is marked with GPS coordinates of each little thing Erin and I found.

Alice wanted to fix me something to eat before I left; but I told her no; I would be okay till I go home. Erin with a long hug and a smoochy kiss on my cheek just before I got into the truck. A last wave to both Alice and Erin as went down the long driveway to make my turn that would eventually get me back to here on the interstate. The long drive home always seems longer going home than it takes to get here.

My phone buzzing several times as Erin and I made our way around the fields. I always check to see who, which I let them go to voice mail. The one I needed to answer was to tell me to be in town tomorrow to pick on what Wearing had already told me to expect.

Phone buzzing again in the cradle; Catherine's number displayed. Swiping the screen this time along with, "Hi me; whats up?" To her explosion of, "WHY THE FUCK HAVEN'T YOU ANSWERED MY CALLS?"

"I've been busy..., like you I guess.

"Fuck you!" The call drops.

Laughing out loud thinking at least she knows I'm still alive. And she definitely doesn't like being ignored. But I'm in her blood, and she hates it; how many times has she told me..., "I hate the way you make me feel!" To my reply of. "I love knowing how I make you feel." And damn if I don't!

The phone buzzing again, noticing the time too because it's Sally. " To answer with; "Hi, what's up?"

"Where are you," Sally ask. "I'm just about to get on the turnpike," telling her. "I had to stop to take a leak and get some coffee; and you?" Asking her.

"I'm at Alice's," she replies. "Okay," telling her. "Did Erin show you some of the stuff we found today?"

"Oh yes,"Sally replies. "As soon as I got in the door, with the mud in the laundry sink where she had been washing them off all evening; according to Alice,: she tell me this.

"Well tell Erin not to scrub to hard, there may be marking of historical value, " telling Sally.

"Yes, I already reminded her. You, reminding me from times tramping through fields with you and pregnant with Erin too." Sally reminds me.

"Yeah, you were a trooper, girl!"

"Anyway, when you get Erin cleaned up, have her call me. And I should be home in less then two hours; I've already bumped up the cruise control; okay." Telling her.

"Sure Bobby, and I won't have to remind her; bye." With Sally dropping the call.

Shit! Lights are on in the house and I can bet I know what's parked in the garage too. And it's not Ryan, she's on another assignment. Carly..., no. The team is still on tour. Alex or Jen, or both? No, not on a Sunday night with their boys and school tomorrow for all four of them. Leaves only..., yep, Porsche, as the garage door rolls up.

Ohhh yeah! I like being in her blood!

The door from the garage into the laundry room makes a pretty good thump when it closes, which, lets anyone on this side of the house says someone has either come I or gone out by it.

But, like others times she's been here I can smell her cologne, light, fresh and sexy; my pulse rate up all ready. But why is she here?

But as make my way down the hall past what is Erin's room, the shared bathroom with the guest room I can see all the way down the hall to the master bedroom, the door wide open and lights on in it. The master bath, as get further in, the door is closed but not completely -- light from the bathroom showing between the door and the door jam. But from where I am, I can't hear if the shower is running.

Another thing I noticed, and almost right with the cologne is the aroma of fresh brewed coffee. Thank you Catherine, I'm sure I'm going to need it, your intention for it; I'm sure!

Laying my garment bag over the back of a living room chair, my case with my hat and shoes, setting it on the floor, along with my overnight bag And now it's back to hang my leather bomber jack in the closet.

Coffee! My liquid life saver. Filling one of the two mugs she set out, some half and half, and sugar she set out with them. Then a short sip followed by a much longer taste..., Oh Yeah! She makes good coffee too.

Taking a bar stool on the opposite side of the island, my vantage point to watch and wait for Catherine coming into the kitchen. Where it's only a half cup consumed when..., there she is standing in the arch way to see me looking back at her, where it's only a few seconds more until, "How long have been here," she ask.

"Fifteen minutes, give or take; and you?" Asking her.

"More than a hour, I think," her looking at the digital clock face on the stove as she says it. Her tone of voice a slight bit of irritation in it. "And why haven't you answered my phone calls?" She follows right up with that. The tone of irritation in her voice more pronounced.

But with that, it's my phone I laid on the island top buzzing; it's Sally!

"Hi there," my answering it, putting it on speaker.

"Your home now; I guess," Sally's question.

"Yes I am; just in the door about ten or fifteen minutes ago," telling her.

"You made good time then," she ask.

"Well with no truck roll overs to contend with and fudging a bit over the speed limits it was a easy drive home. "And how was your day?" Asking her, and not sure what to expect back.

"Very pleasurable and very exciting and the lunch and dinner were good too." I hear in return.

"I'm glad to hear that on both." telling her. "Is Erin still up," asking Sally, my follow up.

"Of course she is." Sally's reply. "She wouldn't have gone to sleep without knowing you were home okay." Is followed by her calling to Erin telling her, "Your dad is on the phone. To only a few moments later it's, "Hi daddy!"

My beautiful little girl, with her beautiful voice coming to me out of that three by five thin box right in front of me putting knot in my throat. Where it's a glance over to where Catherine had been standing. That annoyed stiffness in her posture just minutes ago, now softer more relaxed as she moves to sit on a bar stool on the opposite side of the island from me.

"Hey there Pumpkin; what' cha doin?" Asking her.

"I was just getting ready for bed and watching the TV a little bit."

"Okay, I'm throwing you kiss good night," a smoochy sound I make into the phone. "Love you girl!" telling her right behind it.

"It's the same sound I get back from Erin along with her, "Good night daddy; love you too! Followed with her good might, daddy."

"Bob, are you still there?" It's Sally.

"Yes Sally I'm still here," replying.

"Well I'll wish you a good night too, and glad you're home okay." She tells me.

"Oh, and Bobby I will remind Erin to go easy on those things you guys dug up today but; I don't think I'd really have too." Sally telling me.

"And thank you again, Sally..., for everything!"

"It was my pleasure too," I get back from Sally.

"Oh, and Sally, give the 'Ole Bat' a kiss for too."

"I will and bye" back from Sally along with her laugh mixed in with the call dropping.

And me, it's running my hands over my face to a deep breath and letting it out slowly.