Ch. 01 - Feather and a Knife

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stopped in her tracks as the bullets continued bursting through the steel toward the head of the car. The rapid fire rounds started tearing back through toward her, only to stop just as quickly. She could hear shouting and commotion from beneath, sure that Sidewinder was making his way though. Fox hesitated only a moment before rushing forward again. She felt the train forced to slow as they neared the bend around English Canyon, stumbling over coal carried in the tender, and dropping to the platform to try the door. Locked, of fucking course, they know we're here! She scowled, looking up before quickly and clambering up to the roof of the steam engine. Surely enough there had to be a window?

Fox wasn't wrong. She leaned over the edge of the cab roof and craned her head down, her long braid whipping in the wind. The absolute shock and horror on the face of the engineer inspired her to grin devilishly and pull herself back up. She moved rapidly to the other side, took a deep breath, and turned around.

In seconds the teenager dropped from the roof of the engine cab, grasping the ledge and swinging her legs gracefully through the window. She dropped down into the engine cab, and the engineer moved quickly for his sidearm, but not nearly as quickly as Fox did. She snatched the .22 LR revolver from the holster at her lower back, shaking her head with a sly smile, tendrils of her tawny red hair dangling before her pretty face. "Aht-aht—I really wouldn't if I were you. Come on, friend. Put the brakes on."

"I--I can't do that, girl—do you have any idea—" Staring down the slim black barrel of the gun silenced the older man in minutes, her thumb slowly drawing back the hammer in what was very likely the most terrifying sound in the world.

"There's cars blocking the road around this bend and explosives set to send us all to Hell if you don't stop this fucking train. So what's it gonna be, huh? Put on the breaks, or I'll shoot your ass and figure it out myself." The playful mirth over the teenager's face faded, her pale green eyes sharpening as she advanced and pressed the muzzle of her revolver against the center of his forehead. She watched his chest rise and fall rapidly, his expression torn between fear and pain as he manipulated the train's mechanisms and reached for the brake lever. He hesitated, only for a moment, before the train started to slow before coming to a complete stop. Not a minute too soon. The rundown cars blocking were almost directly in front of it.

The sound of a knife drew her attention and she slowly backed away, keeping her barrel trained on the now very panicked engineer, nodding toward the door. With the same reluctance, he moved to unlock it. Sidewinder stepped inside, looking winded and slightly worse for the wear. A busted lip wasn't bad considering the fresh hell he waded through until Envy and Bandit joined him as he made his way to the Engine. His chest heaved from the effort, and motioned for the engineer to turn around, looping his wrists tightly with a black zip tie.

"Envy? The merc?" Fox questioned hopefully.

"Securing the crew in the last passenger car. I only had to pull the trigger on one of 'em, the one trying to shoot you through the roof. Bit of a scrap... nothing broken though, Envy and Bandit came up from the caboose while the others were trying to box it out with me. " He paused and glared at the engineer. "The boys said they're freight in the back. Smells like diesel, coal... probably carrying grain, feed, rations and guns too. They've got a cattle car with women inside behind the passenger cars—"

"Y-you're making a mistake, a huge fucking mistake! Just let us move on—W-w-won't... won't mention it when we get there—this railway is protected under the Conservia Regime! If you do this... you're all going to die." The stuttering, bumbling young engineer seemed frantic in his pleas. Fox rolled her eyes. Sidewinder ignored him entirely.

"Bones will be riding up soon with Moxie and Noir. Let's go on back and meet the rest of these pieces of shit—shut up, move. Move!" Fox dug the barrel of her revolver against one of the engineer's kidneys, forcing him to step toward the door and hop down from the engine cab.

Most of the armed security men of the train were positioned with their hands bound at the wrists behind their backs. It wasn't long before the sharpshooters rejoined the group, along with Bones leading the horses that had fallen back after the gang boarded the train with him. There were ten or so well dressed, well-fed individuals kneeling in the sand, including the engineer. Gunner kept watch of them with Smiles mounted up at his back, his bow at the ready and a cool, pleasant curve playing over his lips. Bandit's men waited, impatiently pacing the sands and staring down the bound men with obvious distaste for the polished look of them all.

Inside of the heading passenger car Fox and Sidewinder easily identified the conductor handling the locomotive's crew. A solid, graying older man in a crisp dark suit, the conductor barely seemed phased when they entered the private coach. Even as Fox pressed the barrel of her revolver to his temple he leisurely guided a fine white tea cup up to his lips.

"You're the man in charge right? We need to have a little chat." She murmured darkly.

"Hm. It would seem that way. I'm feeling generous after a very long trip, girl... So I'll keep it simple—" The hint of a European accent in his words was silenced as she brought the butt of her gun smashing into the side of his head, grasping a handful of his salt and pepper waves and shoving his head viciously against the tabletop. The bridge of her nose wrinkled as she leaned in, her green eyes fiercely bearing into the mellow blue of the older man's gaze.

"No. You're not the one running shit here, and I only have one... fucking... reason... to keep you alive. So shut the fuck up and listen, and maybe I won't empty these bullets into your brain." Her voice was deadly calm. Sidewinder stood behind her, crossing his arms slowly. Soon after, Envy came to join them, standing placidly at Sidewinder's side. The amused chuckle of the man's voice ignited a fury in the wild redhead like no other. She was so fucking tempted to squeeze the trigger and be done with it... but she needed him alive. He said nothing, watching her with a hard gaze as she arched her eyebrows.

"A year ago this train came through the town just up ahead... you took women from there." There was a quiver of anger in her voice as she pressed the muzzle firmly against his temple.

"We take women from across the United States, my dear. I can't keep track of every meager town the locomotive travels through. You're going to have to be more specific." There was an almost bored lull in the much older man's tone as he chuckled warmly.

"You stopped at this town. Caliente. You hung the peaceful people who were there, shot the ones who ran in the back of their heads, then burned their homes." Anger shook her voice as she fumbled with her free hand, ripping an old photograph from the back pocket of her jeans, holding it up before his eyes. The twin girls were pictured there, younger than she was now, but very much recognizable. "The other girl in this photo, you took her! Where?!"

The smile pulled wider across his lips, and he laughed, "Assuming that girl in your photograph is still alive, you aren't ever going to find her."

"You son-of-a—" Fox felt Sidewinder rip her arm up before she could squeeze the trigger and pull her back and away from the man, who slowly righted his posture, and raised his graying eyebrows.

"Spirited catch you have on your hands, sir." He straightened his tie, and carefully shifted his tea cup to sit on the small saucer accompanying it, sliding it to the side as he watched Sidewinder move to the front. His expression was brooding, his gray-blue eyes sharp as he stared down the stranger, and without warning cocked back a fist to punch him squarely in the jaw. Following Fox's lead, he grasped the conductor by a fistful of his hair and slammed his head against the table once. Twice, for good measure. Fox grinned in wicked delight and slowly returned her revolver to its holster as the now bleeding and battered man coughed and grimaced with his bloody face pressed to the tabletop.

Sidewinder released his grasp on the man's hair sharply, but only to take his wrist and slam his hand down beside his head. "The miss asked you a question. I suggest you start talking."

The Peacekeeper drew his hunting blade from the sheath strapped to his thigh and slowly brought it into the man's line of sight. He felt him jerk sharply twice, attempting to free himself as the edge of the blade pressured against the joint of his pinky. "Every minute of time you waste, I'm going to cut off a finger. After that, we'll move on to other pieces of you. And trust me, friend... they're going to be pieces you'll miss."

The knife bore down a bit heavier and Sidewinder counted slowly. Fox's enjoyment of the moment was far too apparent. Envy couldn't help but to watch her in dark fascination. The younger wards of the ruthless Peacekeeper stood by as the gang leader tortured information out of the now blubbering man, whose brave facade crumbled the second the blade bit into his flesh.

"N-Now wait a minute, hold on—the women, those taken within the last twelve months, were all sold!" The conductor blurted.

"Where?" Sidewinder's voice was calm and collected as he dug the knife in a bit deeper and heard the man suck desperate breath through his teeth.

"A-Angels! In California—the Baron's Company—argh! I—I'm talking! Is this really called for?!"

"She's enjoying it." Sidewinder tilted his head gently to Fox standing at his right. "The other girl in the photo?"

"She was sold—ah-at auction! I don't know to whom. I don't have access to that kind of information—Ssss! Arrrgh! You fucking git, I-I've told you what you've asked!" The whimpering cries of the bleeding older man did not inspire mercy. At the light touch of Fox's slender fingers against Sidewinder's shoulder, he drew the knife up rapidly. A slow pool of blood formed around the conductor's hand.

A deep, nervous laughter poured from the conductor's lips as he nursed his injured hand, and brought his head up slowly from the table. "It won't make any difference, this train is on a schedule. If we don't arrive at our next destination, you fucking dust rats are going to have Hell in every sense of the word raining down on you—Why, robbing the train alone is a death sentence! Do you have any idea who the Baron over Angels is? He'll have you hunted from here to fucking Canada. There's nowhere you can go, he'll find you!" He quickly drew a neat handkerchief from his pocket with trembling hands, pressing the deep cut to his pinky finger. Sidewinder raised his chin to Envy.

"Tell Bandit and his boys to sweep for their wares and be quick about it. Fox, have Gun get the men on the train to move the vehicles off the rail and cut the lock on the cattle car. Let those girls free." The young blond nodded wordlessly and moved out of the car at Sidewinder's command.

"You backwater scum, you have no fucking idea who you're fucking with!" Anger radiated from the voice beside them, triggered by the thought of freeing his cargo before anything else. Sidewinder passed the conductor a deadly glance and squeezed Fox's shoulder before sliding the hunting blade back into its sheath.

"I'm tired of your voice, and you don't need your tongue anymore." The warning caused the pale older man's face to burn red. He seethed, breathing heavily, but falling silent. Fox hopped down from the door of the private coach and relayed the commands quickly, watching as their men herded the captives a short distance ahead to the crude barricade they constructed. Two by two they struggled to push the decaying vehicles off of the railroad and down the sandy embankments. Fox set her sights back on the coach, pulling herself back up and starting into the car.

"We're done, kid, we've got our heading." Sidewinder shook his head as she approached the unarmed conductor, raising his hand to halt her. He rested his palm against her chest and felt her heart racing. The sour expression she gave him was defiant.

"He knows where she is, Es," Fox pleaded.

"We know where she is. We'll get out there. We'll find her. We can't do that if we're dead... Leave him. Coward won't move an inch 'til we're well on our way." He took Fox's hand and slowly started toward the ajar door, only to stop sharply in his tracks.

The long barrel of Bandit's pistol was trained on his head as the lanky mercenary nudged them back into the car slowly. Sidewinder brought his hands up, keeping himself between the turncoat and the girl behind him.

"Hard to make friends these days, ain't it, Hoss?" Bandit winked at him.

"I figured as much, but not so soon. Thought we'd at least get the train going before you tried me." Sidewinder's dry retort was matched with a deadly stare.

"You might not know who the Baron over California is, but I do. He's the damn Devil incarnate, that man. My boys are pulling back. The deal's off. We touch anything on this fucking train we're as good as dead." Bandit's sickeningly wide grin spread over his lips as he nodded to the seating of the coach, and Sidewinder could only pray the nineteen-year-old behind him didn't get any stupid last minute ideas. He didn't expect Envy to climb up into the cab next, however.

"You got a good boy here. Shame you're whipped. Not that I blame ya, Hoss, she's a damn beaut." Bandit chuckled dryly.

"No hard feelings, Es. I'm just not trying to die, or see our boys get killed..." Envy sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

Fox gasped sharply, the sudden unexpected force against her back taking her off guard. The conductor had taken the opportunity presented, moving to stand and snatching her revolver from the holster at her back, pressing it against her temple. Sidewinder tensed visibly.

"Get this fucking scum off my train before you shoot him! I'll not have the mess." The conductor growled against Fox's ear.

"Now hold on, friend. I'm not doing a damn thing until I have a good word. This has all just been a big misunderstanding, huh? I'm not trying to get on Lawless' shitlist... You understand, yeah?" Bandit didn't turn his eyes from Sidewinder

"Quite, well, go back the way you came and I'll consider it. You lot have afforded me a lot of headache and discomfort." The conductor wound his uninjured hand around Fox's long braid, growling as she struggled against him.

"Let go of me, you fucking posh pig!" The sharpness of him gripping her braid caused her to wince painfully. Bandit moved away from the door of the coach, motioning for Sidewinder to step down. He hesitated with his hands raised at eye level, turning his hard eyes to Fox. She was forced to settle down with the threat of being shot with her own damn gun and the hand drawing her head back painfully by her long hair. She pulled a shuddered breath as Sidewinder crossed to the door of the car and stopped, looking over at her.

"Felicity... I've got you."

The pressure of Bandit's firearm against the back of his skull was a sharp demand that he move. Fox clenched her jaw, her heart racing in her chest. She watched Sidewinder hesitate as Bandit pressed the muzzle to his head once again sharply.

"C'mon, lover boy, get on down—"

"Seth!" Fox raised her voice sharply over Bandit, drawing all the eyes in the small space of the coach, wincing as the conductor tightened his grasp on her hair. There was fire in her eyes. She pushed a sly smirk over her lips and uttered a single phrase. "Kill 'em all."

The tension skyrocketed the moment Sidewinder stepped from the train, leaving her alone with the very hostile, very pissed off train conductor and the slimy son of a bitch who had turned out every bit of the two-faced coward he appeared to be. Fox's gaze stared daggers at Envy, whose snide smirk curled across his lips. He made no move to draw down on Bandit or the conductor still holding her with her own gun against her temple. She felt the sharpness of his polished loafers press the back of her knee and force her down to the ground. The sound of the hammer drawing back on her revolver echoed in her ears. Slowly she brought her hands up and turned her head to see the heavy set man grinning down at her.

"Well, little miss. It's looking like you're about to get everything you came here for."

"No sir. I'll be taking that pretty little bird." Bandit sneered and trained his pistol on the man, who blinked in surprise at how quickly he went from double crossing an ally to threatening him. At that, the conductor could only laugh aloud. He didn't bother to turn the pistol on Bandit.

"With the trouble you and your thugs have stirred up for me, no, sir. She'll be put back with the others. We'll call it compensation for your little... 'misunderstanding'. I might be a bit less inclined to mention this inconvenience to my superiors on our return." The deepness of his proper accent accompanied by a smug look of superiority was nauseating.

Bandit sighed heavily, and let his eyes drop to Fox, whose eyes burned with hateful intensity. She tilted her head and spit at his boots. With a wicked grin and a dark chuckle, Bandit licked his lips.

"That wasn't the plan, Bandit. She stays." Envy spoke up at last, despite the fact that he would have very much liked to send her off. If Fox didn't get off this damn train, Sidewinder was going to wage fucking war over it. Bandit waved him silent, but Envy shook his head. "You let them take her and he's going to come for her. Not before he kills you and me. She has to stay."

"Plans change, kid. You either adapt or get lost. Your choice." Bandit shrugged absently, casting a look of longing down at the teen. "I'll swap her out with a different girl. Pretty dark haired piece, nice and docile, too."

"This one isn't going anywhere. I think it'll do her well to have her nasty attitude adjusted. Like it or not, the women on this train are worth more than the entire cargo, with the human race on the brink of extinction these days. Bring the other along, put them both in the cattle car, send my fucking men back and I'll forget your face, thief." The conductor's matter-of-fact tone didn't betray his casual air. "Now, if you were to consider inducting in Angels under the Regime and enlisting, I'm sure even a man of your, erm... ambition... might find yourself a pretty thing or two like this one. I am short a few men after—"

Bandit tipped his hat promptly, and interrupted him. "Come along then, boy. Man's about his business..." The roguish mercenary hopped from the car to the ground, and Envy hesitated, avoiding the harshness of Fox's glare. His eyes shifted to the conductor, who arched his brows.

"Impressive to pull something off like this, young man, troublesome as you all have been. Angels is a fine community. Don't waste your life with these sorts of riff-raff... They'll kill you quicker than the dead will these days." He winked, as if tempting the youngster's seemingly wavering loyalty. Envy dropped his eyes to Fox, and then brought them back to the conductor.

"What would they have me do?" he started slowly.

"Well, I'm sure you've got a skill set, don't you? To be alive and have the gall to try and rob this train is testament of that. Wouldn't be any trouble at all to have you placed in militia. Young people find ample prosperity in Angels... You think it over, hm?" The conductor grinned.

"Bring her on, boy, we ain't got all day." Bandit called from behind. The mercenaries cut the injured and angry locomotive crew loose, who made their way back to their designated passenger cars. Sidewinder's gang pulled back, guns drawn at the ready, as Rooster trained his sniper rifle on their leader's head. The tension was thick in the hot afternoon air.