Chapter 14: Carryover

Story Info
Lindsay finds out Carak's past and her own feelings.
3.5k words
4.67
527
00

Part 14 of the 25 part series

Updated 04/14/2024
Created 12/22/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A Prince of the Nobillo

Chapter 14: Carryover

"Good evening, your highness," Yasolina said, a serious expression on her face.

"Good evening, Yasolina," Lindsay replied. She crossed her legs in the mildly uncomfortable set chair. She wished it had a real back and not just one long piece that travelled up the spine between where the Nobillo's wings would be.

"Thank you for giving us this exclusive interview. I know it must have been devastating for you and your husband to find out your most intimate moments had been exposed to the public. How are you and Prince Rivuk holding up?"

"Well, we're pretty sure we got all the cameras. I suppose we'll find out if there's a sequel this evening." She gave her most winning smile.

"But were you able to catch the culprit?"

"We know who it is," Lindsay said. "Don't worry. He's already being dealt with."

"That's a relief."

"So..." Lindsay leaned forward, raising her eyebrows. "Did you watch it?" she asked in a conspiratorial voice.

"I... ummm..." Yasolina stammered.

She smiled. She'd caught Yasolina off-guard. The anchor had clearly expected a serious interview.

"My husband's pretty damn hot, isn't he?" Lindsay continued.

"Quite attractive. The both of you," Yasolina was catching on. She smiled her plastic interviewer smile. "There were rumors that you and the prince hadn't actually consummated your marriage. This video puts those rumors to bed, as it were."

A rumor Boz had probably started. She'd ruined his plans twice, now she was going to make it three times. Lindsay grinned. "I would say so."

"There is a rumor you put it out yourselves. Any truth to that?"

"No. If we'd put it out, I would have chosen a more flattering angle."

Yasolina laughed in that fake news anchor way. "Of course. But you don't seem particularly upset about it."

"Well, it's hard to be too upset given we haven't always been the most private in the places we've done it."

"Like where?" she asked, clearly eager for a racy answer.

Lindsay wouldn't disappoint her.

"The balcony, the roof of the tower, midair. I suppose we should just be glad there's only one tape." Lindsay mugged for the camera.

"You'll have to forgive me if I say your relationship makes most of us a little envious."

Lindsay blushed. "We just really like being together."

"But to be so open about it," Yasolina said.

"Well, I suppose I've never been very private in my sex life, and spending the last year in a tent with both a husband and a wife really didn't help." Lindsay gave a disarming smile.

"So, you really did live in a tent?"

"Yes. Everyone did in the encampment."

Yasolina was hooked. "What was life like in a Bonat camp? I know my viewers are dying to know."

Of course, back to the Bonat. That's what the people were really interested in. The mysterious savage race that lived in the woods. Good. If they were taking the conversation away from a sex tape, the Nobillo must really be into them.

Lindsay smiled, letting the conversation flow naturally. "Well, the camps have a large central tent where we would eat. And then there's the Corsar's tent. Every camp has one of those. In my camp's case it was the Bona Serat Corsar's tent. But we did have a Corsar as well, Nol, but she lived with the soldiers. Nol is amazing! She's so confident and tough, I wish I could be like her. She's basically my sister from another mister. You'll never believe this, but the first time I met her was my first shower, and she walked right back into the camp completely naked!"

Yasolina appeared momentarily distracted, no doubt thinking about Nol's naked body. "Completely naked you say?"

"Yes. She was also the one who warned me that Sirix was charming. She actually used to date my wife when Donil first arrived. It didn't work out (obviously) but they're still good friends."

"So, she's a lesbian?"

Lindsay shook her head, recrossing her legs. "No, she's bi, like me. I imagine she's a lot of fun to date, though."

"I'm sure." Yasolina replied, vaguely, smiling at something only she could see.

Lindsay grinned. Oh yeah, Yasolina was definitely fantasizing about Nol. "She was the captain of Unit 2; I was the captain of Unit 1."

"Oh- Oh yes! I heard Prince Rivuk gave you partial control of your own military unit."

Oh good, Yasolina was out of the woods.

"Yes, the Birds of Paradise. It's an all-female Nobillo unit. They'll be helping with disaster relief, like the Western Plateau floods a few iuna ago. We're hoping to have the unit trained by the start of the dry season."

"We'll be looking forward to it." Yasolina leaned forward over her tablet. "I was worried when you first arrived but, I must say, you've really been adjusting well to our way of life."

"Yeah. If you'd have told me five months ago my closest friend would be a Child of the Immortal, I wouldn't have believed you." She shouldn't have said that. She'd gotten too relaxed.

"A Child of the Immortal?" Yasolina asked, her interest clearly piqued.

"Yes." She'd started it, she might as well go through with it. Princess Lindsay, Friend to the Children of the Immortal. "When I lived with the Bonat, I remember being terrified of the Children of the Immortal. They haunted my nightmares. I watched them do horrible things, things I won't describe. I watched them kill so many of my people, I felt like I couldn't forgive them for the things I'd see them do. I fought them and I killed them and I taught others to kill them. I thought they were irredeemable monsters, even though Sirix told me otherwise. It was a war and they were the enemy."

"So, you're saying you don't regret killing them?"

"I regret that any killing was done at all. I can't regret my actions because they were to save the lives of myself and my people, but I can regret that they had to happen. The Bonat don't want to fight the Children of the Immortal."

"Of course not, they're the finest fighting force in Okeshi."

"To the Bonat they seem like vicious monsters who drop down in the middle of the night and kill without mercy. And I thought that too, until I met Carak."

"Carak?" Yasolina seemed shocked.

Lindsay could tell she recognized the name. "Why does that surprise you?"

"Major General Carak of the Flying Forces?"

"I suppose."

"He's your friend?" Yasolina's shocked face didn't looked so fake anymore.

"Yes. He's Prince Rivuk's hest." She tried to sound nonchalant as she said it, like why wouldn't he be her closest friend? But she could tell something was wrong.

"I must say, that is the biggest surprise of the evening."

"Why?"

Yasolina pulled up a few holovideos and started the first one.

It was Carak, much younger than Lindsay had ever seen him and in uniform with eight snowy white wings framing his impressive body. He stood in front of the Temple of the Immortal, a large crowd of Nobillo and Children of the Immortal before him. "With this push we will cripple the Bonat once and for all. We will crush their Bona Serat Corsar and destroy their supply lines. It will not be long before these vermin are wiped from the face of Okeshi in the name of the Immortal!" There was a loud cheer from the crowd.

Suddenly, all thought of the sex tape vanished from Lindsay's mind. She stared at the screen, transfixed. "What...?" the word dropped from her lips.

The next video began. In this one Carak was lying on a stretcher. He was covered in blackened sangria-colored blood and emaciated. She could see the bleeding stumps with feathers still clinging on where his wings had been. Her fingers reached out to touch the screen, but she caught them, holding them down with her other hand.

A headline ran across the screen screaming Major General Carak Found After Eight Bil's Lost in the Forest. Yasolina's voice intoned, "This morning, Major General Carak was found just outside the southern border of the woods after going missing during the Midnight Massacre. He was presumed dead. We'll be following this story as it develops."

More videos, more headlines. Major General Carak cut off his own wings to survive. Major General Carak reports the death of Second Prince Adir. Major General Carak says they used gas attacks to bring down his men. Major General Carak says the scourge of the Bonat must be eliminated at all costs.

A young Yasolina stood at the bedside of a still bloody Carak. "What happened to you?" she asked.

"The Bona Serat Corsar attacked me from behind..." he managed to gasp before passing out.

Yasolina turned to Lindsay. "No one has been a bigger supporter of the efforts to exterminate the Bonat from Okeshi," Yasolina said. "I must admit, I'd never think he would be friends with the avowed wife of their leader who cost him his troops, his prince, and his wings."

Lindsay fought down vomit. She plastered on a smile and quickly finished the interview, excusing herself to use the bathroom.

After the interview was over, she calmly walked over to Carak. She told him the same lie she told Yasolina about the bathroom, waiting until they were alone in the hall to turn to him and hiss, "Why didn't you tell me?"

He sighed. It looked like he was in some sort of internal pain. "Because I don't like talking about who I was back then. You already despised me and my people enough, I didn't want to give you more of a reason."

"Did Sirix really take your wings? Is that why you hate him so much? Why Rivuk hates him? Tell me what happened!"

"Is that an order?"

She wanted to say yes, to make him talk, but no, she wasn't going to treat him like her slave. She couldn't. She let out a sigh. "No. And it never will be. But I want to know."

Carak looked from side to side. "Not here. I'd rather do it where we won't be interrupted. Can you wait until we get to the tower?"

"Fine," she said. But it wasn't fine at all. Nothing was fine.

* * *

An hour later they were sat on the couch in the tower, close, but neither touching the other. The distance of inches felt like a huge gulf between them. Lindsay glanced up at Carak. "Tell me what happened," she said.

Carak took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, staring at his clawed hands as he began. "We call it the Midnight Massacre. It was supposed to be our night of glory. Instead, it was the night we lost the king's brother, the second prince, Adir and half of our fighting force. It was the last night Nobillo soldiers fought beside the Children of the Immortal."

He looked away from her. "Our scouts had located a large encampment we believed to be the Bona Serat Corsar's. This was back when there were still many Bonat living in the forest. We'd hoped to make it a decisive victory, a celebration of our military might on the day of Jericho's Fall. It was to be broadcast over all of Kirith.

"Prince Adir and I planned the attack down to the smallest detail, but, somehow, they were ready for us. We were to start with a gas attack, as we'd been doing, and when the smoke cleared, we'd swoop down and finish off the rest. But when we came down, we found they were wearing masks to stop the gas. They threw their own burning gas from the trees. I remember being blinded by the pain. I tore my shirt, drenched it in water from my canteen, and used it to cover my mouth and eyes.

"Prince Adir tried to intervene, but he was distracted by the pain from the smoke. I watched through the torn fabric as he was struck through by one of their harpoons and pulled in. And that was the last I saw him.

"In the burning fog, they jumped down from the trees onto my men. I called for a retreat." His head shook as did the rest of his body. "I might as well have been shouting into the wind. They were blinded, confused, they couldn't find the sky. I flew down to marshal them, and that was when a Bonat landed on me and sliced me across my back, hammering at my wings with his harpoon. I knew they were broken beyond repair. I cannot begin to describe the pain. I tumbled to the ground, making sure to land on the Bonat, hoping to crush him. But he jumped off before I hit, slicing my calf muscle in the process.

"I fought to get up, but my leg was useless. It was all I could do to stand."

Carak's gaze flickered to his bad leg before moving to the space on the floor between his feet. "When I turned to face him, I recognized him as the Bona Serat Corsar. He was relentless, and I, without my spear. From the screams, I knew the night was lost. I had to return home to warn them of the burning gas. But I could see the Bona Serat Corsar had no intention of letting me go.

"With my wings broken, I had no chance but to make for the woods, but I'd only been able to land a few scratches on him and even if I managed to run, he would know the forest far better than I. I had no choice. I allowed him an opening. I felt the harpoon go into my chest. I tore it out and yanked the rope in. In that moment, he was close enough for my claws to reach his face."

"You're the one who gave him his scars," Lindsay said.

"I ran while he held his face, I remember his hands covered in golden blood. And he was shouting. As I ran by him, I remember raking his body with my claws, but he was wearing some kind of metal armor. I doubt it even scratched him."

His eyes turned upward as though looking up at something she couldn't see. "I remember the woods. My wings made it hard to move quickly and they were too big to hide. Every so often I would hear the screams of the other survivors who had made it to the trees. The Bonat were hunting us. I did the only thing I could. I found a sharp rock and lay down with my wing resting on a large, flat stone, and I smashed my wing with the rock until it finally cut through. I did it eight times."

Lindsay winced at the thought of the pain he must have been in. She couldn't even imagine. And to do it eight times!

Carak continued, still staring at his hands. "It was everything I could do not to pass out, but I knew if I did, or if I screamed from the pain, they would find me. I vomited four times. But I kept going until the last one was gone. Not that I was much better off. I could barely walk. I made a walking splint from branches and strips of my uniform. I remember my vision going red every time I stepped down on the crossbar.

"The days after are a blur. I remember hiding, nearly being found so many times. I would stare at the canopy and pray to the Immortal that I would see the stars again. And then, one day, the forest ended and I was on the green grass of the Immortal's Plain. That is where the Korsuch found me.

"I told them what had happened. Of course, they'd seen the broadcast by then. But I hadn't. It was horrible to watch. Jericho's children leaping from the trees in their black masks, spearing my poor, blinded men with their harpoons. Of three hundred of our best men, I was the only one to make it back alive. I was the only one who could tell them what happened that night."

"How did you ever... I mean, how could you join Rivuk in fighting for them? I'd think you'd hate them! I'd hate us," she said, looking at his hands.

Carak looked at her. "I did hate them for a long time. If I am to be fully honest with you, I still do, though much less than I did."

"Why?"

"Because, even though I may hate them, they deserve to live. And, because, since that day, the king decided no Nobillo would ever serve in the Flying Forces again. Nobillo lives were too precious to sacrifice to fighting -- Children of the Immortal weren't. They made tens of thousands of us, sending us to die in the forests in overwhelming numbers, grinding down the Bonat people through the sheer amount of Children they were willing to send to their deaths.

"There was talk of the mercy of putting me down, but Rivuk, though he was young, argued that I might still be useful, both for my genes and for my knowledge. I'd only known him in passing. I'd once played boats with him in his second lanc. From then on, whenever I visited the palace, he always tried to come see me, at first to play, then to talk. I rarely had the time, but, of course, what I had, I gave to him -- he was my prince, afterall.

"I thought he'd grow out of it. I always thought that my next visit would be the one where he treated me as my station demanded. But he never did. When he celebrated his fourth lanc, he chose me as his hest. The first Child of the Immortal to ever serve in that role.

"When Rivuk took control of the military, he swore to me he would put an end to the senseless killing of my people. He cut the breeding program in half. He leaned on me for strategy. But I knew he had no desire to kill the Bonat. He often told me peace with them was the only way to save my people. He truly believed in saving the Children through peace with the Bonat."

His expression grew sorrowful. "Somewhere along the way, he gave up on his people. He began to feel they weren't worth saving. That it would be better for Okeshi if they died off. He'd been looking for a way to do it for over a lanc, then Boz handed him a plan. And that was when he met you. He saw something in you that gave him pause. When he found out you'd become the wife of the Bona Serat Corsar, I think he began to have hope again. Since then, you've been all he can talk about, you and the new plan. How we can save everyone. For that I am eternally grateful."

"But you still hate the Bonat," Lindsay ventured.

He heaved a heavy sigh. "You've been helping me let go of that hatred. It is very hard for me to hate them when you love them so much. And when you look at me the way you do and treat me like I'm a person of value, I can't help but think that perhaps... perhaps a race that would have you as their leader, might... Might be a race worth forgiving."

It sounded like a romantic confession. Looking into Carak's eyes, she found she wanted to rest her cheek in his clawed hand. Again, there was that wave of affection, so much stronger this time. In her memory, she heard Rivuk's voice taunt, "Could it be love?"

She swallowed hard. Yes. It had probably been back then, too, but she hadn't been open to accepting it. Now, there was no question. She'd fallen in love with Carak. She felt the urge to kiss him, not on the cheek or the brow, but on his narrow lips. But that was almost certainly a bridge too far.

For all of them.

Sirix would never forgive her, Rivuk almost certainly wouldn't. And Donil? Donil might be willing to understand it, emphasis on the might. And what about Carak? He'd never forgive himself -- that was if he had feelings for her and they weren't just her own wishful thinking.

Just because she had feelings for him didn't mean she had to act on them. This wasn't like with Donil, where Sirix had completely supported them and she and Donil were clearly bursting with desire for each other. No, this could only be destructive, and for Carak more than anyone.

Lindsay reached out, laying her hand on his large forearm. "Thank you, for trusting me."

He put his hand on top of hers. She felt a bolt of electricity shoot through her. She shouldn't have done that. She should have him call Rivuk. She should go back to her husband's room. She should... "Read me a story, Carak."

"Of course." He took their book from the side table and opened it. Lindsay scooted in close. Carak wrapped his arm around her and pulled her in, then began.