Chapter IV: The Good of the People

Story Info
Maureen returns to her home, and life changes for the birds!
5.3k words
4.33
1k
00

Part 4 of the 9 part series

Updated 11/04/2023
Created 12/18/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For the Good of the Village

A small pine marten kit crawled across the ground, babbling softly as his mother watched.

Another small one crawled toward the other infant, this one a small blue jay chick.

Maureen and Kali both sobbed happily, hands clasped together as they watched their children.

Caryn was there too, with little Ruby bouncing on her lap.

The wide-eyed cardinal chick nibbled on her mother's thumb while she watched the boys play.

Maureen smiled with some pride, her people used to walk on all fours, so her son was already at an advantage there.  She even joked about such things with her tribal sisters.

Kali was ready with her comebacks, "Yeah?  Well, wait until my Justin starts to get muscle in his little legs, he'll be running circles around your boy."

Maureen snickered, "I bet he'll do a lot of running when he's old enough to chase the girls."

Kali swelled her plumage, "Well, he'd take after his father then.  My Justin will be batting at all the pretty hens with a big stick!"

Maureen winked at her friend, "You really think he'll be that popular?"

Kali cocked her head at the pine marten jill, "Sometimes, a mother just knows... And I bet your Iomer's gonna be a hit with the girls too!  Not too many furry fellas living in this village after all, permanent ones at least." She hesitated at the last part.

Almost as if on cue, a horn sounded outside their hut.

Caryn shuddered, she'd grown to hate that sound over the weeks since it had become a staple of life around here.

...

Weeks ago, when Maureen had departed to the towns to advertise her village's open invitations, promising food, women and a place to sleep, she had at first met with aversion.

They did not find the forest rangers as Nestor had advised them, but then it wasn't necessary.

Maureen, being from the towns herself, she was able to lead her small trio.  She could recognize things she had seen when she'd first left almost a year ago now.

In due time, they were able to make it to the nearest town, her hometown, Wiesel Stadt.

To the two birds who had come with her, seeing all of this big sturdy buildings, these stalls lining the street, people buying and selling, hurrying to and from places; it was a mind-twist for them.

For Maureen, it was a rush of memories hitting her like a lightning bolt.  She looked up and down the cobblestone street as she walked and could see a younger version of herself skipping along, paw-in-paw with her father.  She hadn't seen him since running away from home; she hoped he was well.

She began to notice people around her, looking at her.

People found it strange that a grown female like her would walk so scantily dressed in public, most assumed she were a prostitute begging for coin.  Some were also distracted by the two avian fellows who had accompanied her, themselves only dressed in armbands and loincloths.

The old pigeon was equally aghast at how overdressed these mammals and reptiles were, especially under this bright, hot sun.  Didn't they get too hot?  He bumped into a fellow avian, a feisty young crow and couldn't believe how much clothing she wore.

"Oi!  Watch where you're steppin', granddad!" she spoke with a cockney accent.  She saw the minute clothing the pigeon wore, "Err, your trousers are in the wash, I see."

The pigeon stepped back, no hen had ever spoken to him like that before, "I'm sorry?  Don't you feel hot under all of that dried cow skin?"

The crow wore a brown leather vest with a blazer and a pair of pants.  She tugged on her coat, "Ya sure ya ain't just tryin' ta get me out of these skins, dirty birdy?"  She winked as she danced away from him then shifted her sights on the cute sparrow with them.

Tilo flinched when she practically pounced upon him, "Dog's bollocks, you're a cute one!"

"What?" The medicine bird chirped out before finding himself trapped in her arms.

Maureen intervened on his behalf, "Excuse me, miss..."

"Maven!"

"What?" the jill stopped.

The crow sized up the pretty brown weasel before her, "Name's Maven!  Ya three ain't locals are ya?"

The pine marten sighed, "No, no we're not.  We are looking for a place we could stay, we have business to attend to later."

The crow, having never taken her black arms away from Tilo, smiled when she released him to embrace Maureen, "I know just the place!  Best damn place in this shitty town!  Come on!"  She dragged the pine marten with her while the two birds followed, both confused by what had just occurred.

Maureen nearly cried once she saw where she was being taken.  She saw the great, old, two-story oak and stone building, the swinging doors that led in to the old place, the sign hanging over the door with one single name carved out, Iomer's.

Maven grinned like an insane beast, "Well, here we are, Io-"

Maureen finished, "Iomer's...  I know..." She could feel her heart racing.

Maven looked at her, "Oh, you know the place?"

The pine marten smiled sadly as she looked up at that old sign, "Know it?  I lived here."

...

Maureen went inside the home that she had fled from so many months ago.  She brushed her palm on the bar counter which she often sat at.  She looked around at the many different people enjoying fine meals and drink and remembered when she served these people as a helpful teenager, ever obedient to her hard-working father.

The crow took Maureen and her companions to meet the owner.  He wasn't who Maureen had expected.

He was a middle-aged billy goat wearing suspenders, sandals and spectacles.  He had his hooves propped up as he read a book and drank tea whilst patrons ate his food and drank his ale.  He looked up from his book when the four strangers approached, "Yes?"  He saw the crow, "Maven, what trouble have you gotten yourself into this time, you tawdry feather duster?"

The crow ruffled her feathers at his snide comment, "None so far, old goat!  These kind folk come here from the woods to speak with the good people of our town."

The goat sat up, "There are still good people here?"  He affixed his spectacles before he stood to extend a hand to the marten female, "Wilhelm Jarlsberg, darling.  What is it you come to speak of?"

Maureen had to know first, "Before that... Do you know what happened to the man who ran this tavern before you?"

The goat scratched his beard, "Our previous owner?  Mmm, yes... I bought this place from him, poor fellow was too sick to keep running it so he gave it to me for a fraction of what this old girl is really worth.  He's passed away, I'm afraid."

Tears filled Maureen's eyes, "He's dead?" And she never got to apologize for leaving him alone.  She broke down, slamming her fist on the bar before her, while the three birds who stood around her shuffled their feet uncomfortably.

Jarlsberg petted the distraught female, "I take it that man was your father.  I'm terrible sorry to have made you cry my dear."

 Maureen sniffed, "No... You did nothing wrong.  I'm the one who ran away when he needed me."  She looked up at the building around her, "He opened this tavern so he could support me.  I was all he had after Mom died.  He raised me here, I slept here, worked here... I met my first love here."  She held herself, "This tavern was my life."

The old goat picked up an empty tankard, "Can't dwell on the past, dear."  He walked over to one of his great casks.  He poured ale as he spoke, "You're still here after all."  He placed the foaming tankard on the counter for her.  "Drink up..."

She sniffed it, "That smells... So different from what Dad made."  She drank some and right away was struck by the cinnamon and cardamom flavoring the drink.  "It's spiced.  I've never had it that way."

Jarlsberg smiled, "My own recipe, your father loved it too.  I feel its the real reason he let me have this place.  This ale has made this old girl the talk of the town now."

Maureen smiled sadly, "And he was alive to see that?"

The goat nodded, "He endorsed the ale himself.  But the only thing he would always say was how much greater it would be if his daughter could be here to share the new fame."

Maureen sobbed, "Thank you... But this was my past, and you're right, I shouldn't stay too long.  I have my own life and a new home with these fine birds here."  She gestured to the pigeon and sparrow.  Tilo right now was distracted by the pretty crow who threw many flirty winks his way.

Jarlsberg listened, "You live with these birds?"

She nodded, "In the village, deep within those woods."

He leaned forward, "You come from the bird village?"

The old pigeon stepped forth, "We come in peace, mammal.  We wish to make, how do you say, deals with your folk.  We feathered folk of the wood extend our blessings and our wings, welcoming all you kind outsiders.  We are opening up trade with your towns."

Jarlsberg listened, "I see... That does sound like a marvelous development, but I'm only a tavern keeper, kind sir.  You'll need an official."  He chuckled, "Lucky for you, my ale brings such peoples to my tavern."  He straightened up, "Oh, but where are my manners?  You three need a place to stay hmm?"  The goat clapped over the din of the crowd, "Nadine, darling!"

Maureen's fur stood up on her neck after hearing that name.

The ferret in question came up, "Yes, Willy, you asked for me?"

The goat gestured to the three travelers, "These three here need rooms."  He pulled out keys to two separate rooms, for Maureen and for the two birds.  He gave the keys to the ferret, "Kindly show them please?"

Nadine perked up in her frilly skirt and blouse, "Yes sir!"  She took the keys.  She gasped when she saw the number on one, "Willy, this one's to Maurie's old room."

The goat chuckled, "Yes, well."  He gestured to the female who had been staring at Nadine ever since the jill came over.

Nadine turned and screamed when she saw her friend, "AAAHH!  Maurie!  It's you!"  Her professionalism before flew right out as the ferret pounced on the pine marten.

Maureen giggled when she was assaulted by the jill, "Nadine, my god, it's been so long!"

Nadine scoffed, "So long?  You just up an' disappear like a ghost in the night, then you're back almost a year later?  What happened to you?"  She saw her friend's belly then gasped, "Oh!  And your baby!"

Maureen calmed her hyperactive friend, "Nadine, Nadine, calm down...  I can tell you everything, but we need those rooms."

Nadine jumped to attention, "Oh!  Oh right!  I'll lead the way, though I'm sure you know the way, darling."

Maureen giggled, seeing her childhood friend again definitely brightened up her day.

...

Upstairs, the two birds were shown to their room, then Nadine personally took Maureen to her old room, a simple little place with just a single bed and a few knickknacks on the furniture.

The ferret jill explained, "It's the one room, aside from mine, that's off limits to patrons.  Your father's kept this locked since ya left."  She gasped, "Oh my god, your father...  Oh Maurie..."

Maureen nodded sadly, "Yes, Will told me...  did Dad go peacefully at least?"

Nadine sighed, "He was heartbroken after ya left.  He... he never quite was the same.  That was when Willy came in.  He'd come from overseas looking for a place to sell his spiced ales.  Iomer, sad as he was, he tried Will's ale.  My god he smiled... I'd wager he hadn't smiled so big since the day you came into the world.  He made Will business partner then made him owner when he came down with pneumonia."

Maureen listened as she sat down at the small table by her old bed.  She scratched her neck, "Pneumonia... same as Mom..."

Nadine sat across from her friend, "Maurie... what happened?  And why do you come back now?"

Maureen spent the next hour telling Nadine everything.  About getting lost in the woods, about being attacked by a wolverine, then her life being saved by one of the birds, by Kali.

Nadine listened, her bright blue eyes shimmering with wonder.

Maureen told her friend about her relationship with the two blue jays who were kind enough to keep her, though she was blushing when she got to the naughty bits.

Nadine still had to laugh, "You shaggin' with birdies, I'd never thought I'd see the day... and with another lady no less. I didn't think you had it in you, Maurie."  She giggled.

Maureen kept going.

Nadine was happy to hear about her son, "Oh, I wish you coulda brought him, and you named him Iomer?  I can just imagine him growing to be big and strong like your dad was."  She cleared her throat, "Well, it was very nice to see you.  I hope you'll stay awhile, at least.  And if ya need anything, you know I'll get it for you and for your birdy friends across the hall, on the house."  She got up to leave.

Maureen stood up and she hugged her friend, "I'll be here, at least a week, that should be long enough...  I've missed you."  She kissed her friend on her cheek.

Nadine blushed and smiled, "Remember, anything you want, Maurie."  She bumped into the door as she was backing out, "Oof!"  She quickly recovered and she opened the door.  She went out without another word, rubbing her cheek where she'd been kissed.

Maureen locked the door after Nadine had left.  The pine marten quickly stripped down and then laid down on her old bed, sighing happily as she sank in, surrounded by musk... his musk.

More memories came back, pleasant memories of her past love, the man who gave her her son.  "I'm home, Caleb." she whispered as tears came to her eyes.

...

Partway through the night, Maureen was rudely awakened by loud knocking on her door.  She pulled on a shawl to cover her top, though didn't bother to cover her lower body.

She unlocked her bedroom door to find the old pigeon waiting outside.  She groaned, "What are you doing here this late?"

The pigeon grumbled, "That crow hen came to our room, she's crawled in bed with that Tilo fellow and she's..."

She snickered, "She's giving him the ride of his life?"

The pigeon scoffed, "And making a racket of it, too.  I don't quite remember being so loud in my day."

Maureen laughed, "Well come in, there's just the one bed here so... I hope you don't mind sleeping next to a sweet young thing like me."  She winked cutely before turning away, purposely swaying her cute rump to tease the old pigeon.

The pigeon shook his head, "And hens used to be so reserved in my day too."  He followed her in, tightening his loincloth to hide the reaction he'd gotten from her blatant teasing.

...

The next morning, Maureen awoke before the old pigeon. The marten jill got up out of her old bed to give herself a good stretch.

After cleaning herself from the basin in her room, Maureen put her clothes back on. She stepped out into the hallway. The door to the other room where Tilo had "slept" with that crow female, Maven was ajar.

Maureen suppressed a snicker as the naughty mustelid couldn't help herself. She pulled open the door to peak in; there on the bed, against the farthest wall, she saw the black feathered body of that pretty crow, naked and her feathers mussed from what seemed like vigorous riding. By her, in her arms, was Tilo, the sparrow smiling wide and leaning into his hen's soft plumage.

Maureen smiled for Tilo as she quietly closed the door to give them their privacy. Tilo deserved a nice girl like that, she thought to herself.

Maureen made her way downstairs to see her father's tavern currently empty except for the old goat sitting behind the counter, drinking his tea and reading his book.

Jarlsberg looked at her over his spectacles, "My, awake already? Good morning, Maureen, liebchen." He got up and generously bowed to her.

Maureen blushed from his bowing, "Thank you, sir. So, have we had any luck in contacting some of those public officials? You'll understand if I want this ordeal to be done quickly, I'm already missing being with my little Iomer."

Jarlsberg nodded, "Quite to the point, darling, and I do indeed understand. Much of my savings I make, what I don't put in the bank, I send it to my family back home, though I've not seen any of my relatives since I came here to Wiesel Stadt."

The jill sat in her old spot at the bar where she often ate breakfast as a child, "So, about those officials."

Jarlsberg chuckled, "Again, quite to the point. Thankfully, there is indeed someone who had agreed to drop by. I had already made my morning walk to the bank when I happened to bump into him. He should be here very soon." He poured an ale for Maureen then passed it to her.

Maureen accepted it happily, "Thank you, Will." She took a drink as her cute round ears picked up someone coming downstairs.

She looked up and saw a blushing Tilo, in his normal loincloth, but with that crow girl flirting with him more as they came down.

The sparrow saw Maureen looking at him, and he shrugged then chuckled at her.

Maureen laughed as the sparrow hopped up into the seat next to her, "So, I heard this one gave you quite the ride last night."

Tilo sputtered from the statement, Maven was no help. The crow threw her arm around him as she talked, "That I did, darlin'. I just couldn't resist, he was too cute to not give him a bit of a show, an' he was very appreciative, too."

The young shaman laughed nervously, "Well, most of the other hens don't even think of me, not even because of my size, but I'm always focused on my craft, I never have time for this sort of thing."

At that moment, the swinging doors to Iomer's Tavern creaked open as a diminutive stoat waltzed in, dressed in fancy clothing in every shade of purple possible, flanked by two tall, burly bodyguards.

The short, chubby stoat spoke up "Well, Old Goat, you've gone to the trouble of summoning me, now where are these natives who wish to speak with me?"

Jarlsberg greeted his guest, "Ah, Duke Fritz!" He stepped out from behind his counter to give a generous bow to the diminutive duke. "I am honored to have one of your stature grace my humble establishment."

Maureen's face paled when she heard the shrill voice of that stoat who just entered. She hesitated to turn and see his face.

Jarlsberg waved a hand to the three natives, the old pigeon having just joined them,

"These here are the natives, who come from the bird village to talk about opening trade with the common folk."

Fritz nodded, "Yes, that does sound promising." He approached the birds, curling his greasy mustache as he surveyed them, each clad in the sparse clothing associated with their tribe. He saw that crow too, though she was clearly a local from her garb. He then seemed to just noticed the dark brown mustelid who sat with them, "And this girl here? She is with them?"

The goat nodded, "Ja, that she is, this is..."

The jill turned to see an old face she hadn't seen in almost a whole year, "Fritz?"

The official stoat reacted when she spoke his name, "Maureen?"

The marten jill visibly gulped as she stood then bowed to her old friend, "It's been too long."

The stoat looked at her like he'd seen a ghost. He turned to the goat, "Here now, what's the meaning of this?"

Jarlsberg seemed to realize the apparent history between the two. He cleared his throat before continuing, "Herr Fuchs, this is Maureen, she's our representative among their tribe."

Maureen nodded as she spoke to Fritz, "Yes, I've spent these past months enjoying the hospitality, love and care of these birds." She blushed as she continued, "My son is currently staying with my... my lover."

The stoat continued to stare at the lovely marten woman while she talked. He heard her mention her child and "A lover? You've found someone after..."

Maureen hesitated, then nodded while she looked into his wild green eyes, "Yes, after Caleb, I've found someone... Her name is Kali."

The short royal looked up at her, "A new lover, and it's a female?" He smiled and he chuckled, "My, you have certainly changed since last I saw you. And your child was born too?"

12