Charlie Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I tried to think... could they really smell me? Hear my heart rate? Is that how Luke kept hearing me? Knowing things like having a knife in my hand? He could smell it? I was beginning to feel a little panicked. They all knew somehow. No. They knew that I was stressed and that Luke had noticed. They couldn't read my mind.

I made a small gesture, trying to motion him over. He raised an eyebrow and rolled his eyes. "No matter how softly you speak, they will all hear you. What is it?"

"I need the restroom... and... and another... umm..."

"You know where they are upstairs. Be quick."

I had to try and lower myself down and hop down by myself, he stayed back, ignoring me as he poured drinks.

I ran. Horrifyingly enough, I had not lied at all. I had to change my clothes, pull on one of his long shirts and hope that that was acceptable. I was so humiliated when I went back down, I had tears in my eyes. Luke glanced at me and smirked before moving to me and popping me back onto the counter.

"Do not be embarrassed," he murmured. "Noone here cares about that. There is no judgement."

"I know... it's just... it doesn't matter," I whispered, lowering my head. I pulled him closer and laid my head on his chest in a hug. He kissed the top of my head before going back to the bar.

I hoped I covered well enough, at least for the patrons. I knew Luke still knew what I had been thinking. Would he be angry? Would he yell at me or punish me? Fear was eating away at me as I sat there staring at my hands and my bare feet.

Luke appeared in front of me again, pushing my legs apart and pulling me close in a tight hug. "Stop fretting Red, I am not upset. Look at me. Sit here and calm down. You smell like food."

"She is weak," a man spat, moving closer to the bar. "Too weak to keep here."

"She would fare better at your trailer, Mike? In Links bed?"

"It would be less tempting than putting her in the middle of the pack."

"So your argument is that I should not have a weak human, I should give her to someone in my pack who thinks to supplant me. Red, are you too weak for me? You think Link could handle you better?"

"I am not weak, but I am also not stupid. It is not weakness that makes a snake avoid a mongoose, it is intelligence. It knows it's limits. I know my limits and I will not push them. In my situation, I am lucky. I happen to be content where I am, not just content... but satisfied as well. Very satisfied. No one else could do the same for me. No one. With anyone else I would have taken my chances, tried to gut them and run. Even if it killed me. Link... the man who was here earlier... if it were him instead of you? One of us would be dead already."

"What was it about me that made you respect me more?" he asked curiously, mixing a drink.

"When you gave me back the knife I was holding to protect myself. You took it to use a moment, then gave it right back to me. You knew it made me feel better to have it, but you weren't worried about it at all."

"Mike, let's cut to the chase here. You and Link have been trying to find a reason to call me to account for three years. Looking for a mistake. Waiting for a chance. If he wants to make a play, tell him to have the balls to step up, stop trying to make excuses. If he wants Red, he can try and take her. If he wants to make a play, he doesn't need an excuse. I am here. Name a time. Why don't you go ahead and go tell him that."

The entire room was still and I could feel the danger radiating off of Luke. It was a palpable, real thing. The entire place was poised on the brink of violence. I wasn't sure what to do so I did the only thing I could think of to show my support for him. I slid down and stood next to him.

The entire mood in the room shifted as eyes went to me curiously. Luke barked a surprised laugh, then let out a full belly laugh.

"She thinks highly of herself," David said with a smirk he was trying to hide.

"She just doesn't understand. She is reacting in a human way, not our way. Red, it's fine. Step back unless you intend to have my back in a fight as a Lupa."

"What's a Lupa?" I asked quietly.

"My mate, any mate to an Alpha."

"I'm not your mate?" I asked, confused.

"No Red. You are my pet. We have fucked. You can't be my Lupa, you are human."

"Oh. Does that mean you are going to find a female and..."

"Hush Red. We'll talk about it later."

"She smells pissed," David laughed. "If that much jealousy isn't enough to convince anyone that there is no pretense between you, I don't think anything will."

I felt my face heat with embarrassment because I was upset. The thought of Luke finding a woman among his kind... it made me sick."

Luke turned to me, still grinning and picked me up to put me back on the counter. "No," I said petulantly. "I will stand with you!"

"I understand your feelings and the gesture Red, but no. I won't put you in harm's way. Stay up here for me for now and we will speak later."

I nodded, but went up on my knees and pulled him down into a kiss. He kissed me, but pulled back still grinning. He turned around and everyone was watching him. Most of the room seemed amused, but a few of them seemed wary.

"Go, Mike. Go and don't come back until you have made a choice. You can accept my leadership or you can challenge but no more of this petty bullshit. Go."

Mike left, his chest puffed out angrily, and several people followed him. The other group that had come in sat back and watched everything, turned and looked at me again, assessing.

"Your pet, you are going to change her?" the man who led them asked.

"She wouldn't survive it," another of them said with a scowl, looking me over.

"Will you try?" the man amended, watching Luke.

"No. I will not risk her that way. She is not of us and... it is not a question. She is my pet, that is all. Leave it."

"What if the issue is forced?"

"If she dies, whoever killed her dies too. Inadvertently or not. And Link wouldn't dare. Not now. Thanks for coming around Gene, next time let me know beforehand and I will gather the pack and we will serve a fine meal."

"As I said, a few of us heard about your pet and I wanted to see if it was true. We were just curious and passing through. Next time I will send word and we will bring an offering. Red, it was good to meet you. Be good to Lukas, he has had a hard time with females in the past."

"Thank you, you too. I intend to be. I mean! Luke, please let him know I..."

"It's a bit late now," he teased, but he didn't seem upset at all and Gene didn't seem offended or upset either.

"If you do decide, I can send Wanda to you," Gene offered with a knowing smile.

"Thanks," Lukas answered, as if he understood what that meant. "Goodnight."

With that, the bar began emptying. No last call, nothing. Just a few 'goodnights' and 'see you laters' and everyone left.

Luke left me up on the counter as he locked the door and began cleaning up the bar. I slid down and went to help, wiping down the tables as I watched him warily. "So... you really to all think you are werewolves? That wasn't a joke or hazing or whatever? It's not like a LARPing game?"

"No, it's not a game. We are who we are."

"So... can you turn into a wolf?"

"I am a werewolf. I am not human, I am not wolf, no matter what you think you see, I am a werewolf."

"So your appearance doesn't change?"

"I didn't say that. I said I am a werewolf no matter what shape I take. And you don't want to see me change."

"I don't? Will you hurt me?"

"No. I would kill you."

"Oh. The woman, they are all werewolves too?"

"Everyone who comes into this bar is a werewolf. Except you."

"So what do I do if someone wolfs out and I am the only food available?"

"They wouldn't wolf out, they would werewolf out. You try to hide under the bar and let me take care of it. If you can't do that, get to Dave."

"He's your friend?"

"Among other things."

"Like an enforcer or something?"

He smirked and looked over at me. "No Red. We'll talk about pack hierarchy another night. Thanks for helping, but why don't you go get in the shower?"

"Am I doing it wrong?"

"No, just thought you'd like a shower."

"Aren't you going to take one as well?"

"Yeah?"

"Then maybe we can save water."

He grinned and tossed his cloth in the direction of the sink, then moved towards me in his slow, dangerous, sexy way. It hit me suddenly how quickly I had become enamoured with him and forgotten everything else. He picked me up with a low growl and nuzzled under my chin as he carried me upstairs, but then he paused at the door. "What is it Red?"

"I... I really need to call my family. They need to know I am not dead? Just that, that's all the need to know. Please?"

"Not now, Red," he answered, shoving the door open and carrying me up the stairs. His walk was militant now and not excited to get me up to his bed again. I felt a little bad for that, but I felt worse for forgetting for a second that my Grammy was dying, probably dead by now and my family and friends had no idea where I was or if I was alive. A call didn't seem too much to ask.

"Luke, I..."

"I said not now!" he snapped, half tossing me on the couch. "Go take your shower. There's shorts and a t-shirt in that bag."

I went to the bathroom, but stopped at the door, tears in my eyes. "They just lost my grandmother, I don't want them to think they lost me too. I can..."

"One more word, Red, and I will send them your goddamn finger in a box. Let them stew on that. Shower. Now."

I shut the door and leaned against it, sobbing. How had I fooled myself? How had he gotten under my skin and into my head so easily? How had I forgotten everything that was important to me, even for a minute?

"I don't hear the water! Stop your bawling and hurry the fuck up!"

I cringed and got in the shower, resolving myself to getting away from him. I would find a way, no matter what the cost.

When I came out of the bathroom, I went to the couch and curled up, hiding my face from him even though he was in the kitchen.

"You aren't sleeping there tonight," he snapped from the kitchen. He hadn't even looked in my direction.

"I want to..."

"If you argue I will turn you over my knee. Go get in the bed."

I did not argue, I went to the bedroom and climbed into his bed. I curled up in the blankets and faced the wall in fetal position. The blankets were a paltry barrier and I knew it, but they were all I had.

It turned out I didn't need them. When he turned off all the lights after his shower and came in, he threw himself on the other side of the bed, on his stomach and sprawled over the entire bed. He had one arm thrown over me, but he didn't try to roll me to face him or move the blankets, he just fell straight to sleep.

Sleep was a long time coming for me as I tried to plan my escape.

When I woke in the morning, I was alone in bed and I was sore. My body was sore and my lower tummy was cramping. My heart was also aching.

Luke came in wearing nothing but his boxers, looking pissed. "Get up Red. There's some jeans in there and a hoodie, go put them on," he demanded, yanking a drawer open to pull out clothes for himself.

"Are we going some..."

"NOW!" he yelled.

I jumped, then scrambled up and hurried to the front room. David was standing there with a bag and he held it out to me. I took it with my eyes down, then fled to the bathroom to get dressed. He'd even brought me socks, a toothbrush, a brush and hair things. I went back out brushing my hair and hunting down my shoes.

I found them in the bedroom and he scowled at me as I sat down to put them on. Why was he angry? Were we leaving? Going away from the bar? Would I have a chance at getting away?

He shoved his feet in his boots, then grabbed my arm roughly and pulled me out to the living room. He pushed me towards David who took my arm more gently.

"Are you sure?" Luke demanded.

"I am sure of what I was told, boss, not sure it's happening."

"Get her out of here. Take her to the hospital and let her speak to someone there, someone in her family, but do not let her out of your sight. Red, behave. Make some shit up, I don't care, but don't pull any shit. This is your one and only chance to prove yourself and you better believe you won't have any opportunity to get away. All you will get if you fuck up is a dead friend and punished. Do you understand?"

"Yes Luke... are you going to be safe here? What is happening? Should David stay? Or come back? Who will be here with you?" I asked anxiously.

"Don't worry about me, get her out of here Dave," he said, but he sounded less pissed now.

I jerked away from David and went to Luke, hugging him. He sighed and hugged me back, then kissed the top of my head.

I left with David feeling sick to my stomach. When David put me in Alan's car and pulled away. I finally spoke. "Are you sure he is going to be alright? You can drop me off somewhere, tuck me away, something. Go back and protect him?"

David laughed. "I think you misunderstand who I am. Luke does not need me there, I promise."

"What is happening? Is it Link?"

"He is probably behind it, but no. Don't worry about it. Are you going to give me problems at the hospital?"

"No, none. I will ask if my Grammy is still there, still with us, you know. If she is, I will ask them to call up for my brother. If not... I don't know. I guess I will ask if any of my family is there? Or maybe you would let me use one of their chargers long enough to get a number off of it?"

"We will see."

My mind was reeling and racing. I knew I should be thinking about getting away from David, he was smaller than Luke and didn't seem as capable. Maybe I could get help at the hospital? The thought was fleeting. Was Luke ok? What was happening? Was he in danger? Did he have enough people there to take care of him?

"Maybe we shouldn't go too far," I said worriedly, distractedly. "Stay close unless he needs you?"

"I need to get you out of the Low," he said, but he sounded amused.

"Ok, but do you have a phone? A way to get in touch with him or for him to call you?"

"Don't worry Red, we have our ways. I will keep you... shit!" he yelled, slamming on the brakes. There was a concrete barrier in the middle of the road he had just turned onto and two men standing next to it. He backed up and turned, then started to go down another side street. There was another barrier in the middle of the road. David growled and backed up again, all the way back to the last cross street. Both sides were barricaded now and they hadn't been when we had passed moments before. There were men on both sides. David kept backing and he was looking a little scared now. "Stay low Red," he said urgently.

He backed all the way back to the front door of the bar and Luke was out the door as soon as he pulled up, opening the passenger door and pulling me out. He carried me inside and put me behind the bar on the counter, the same place I had been the night before. David said nothing, didn't tell him about the roadblocks. Did he know somehow? Did they have a way of talking?

"Red," Luke said, his voice low and angry. "Stay up here. Do not get down unless me or David move's you, do you understand?"

"Yes Luke."

"I mean it Red. Stay right here!"

"Ok, I understand. I won't get in the way. What's happening?" I asked, looking around at all of the men in the room and more coming in.

"Maybe nothing. Don't worry about it. Just..."

He was cut off as the door opened. I was relieved as Gene and his pack poured into the room, but then immediately wary as the room went still and quiet. Gene's smile was condescending.

"Lukas," Gene spat, stopping halfway across the room. "I am here for the human."

"What did Link promise you?" Luke asked quietly, no concern showing in his voice.

"Does it matter? Gene asked with a smile that looked dangerous.

"I suppose it does not. I thought better of you than this, but it is what it is I suppose. Just you and your clan or will Link show his face as well?"

"Batting cleanup."

"I'll just bet. He's a coward and wouldn't last a day if you did manage a win. I am thinking you are hoping on that though, aren't you? Expanding your reach, expanding your grounds. That's why you came last night, to see how divided we were. Enough to take your chances it seems. So why use her as an excuse?"

"Because I want her," Gene answered with a smile, finally looking at me. "She looks like she will be fun to break. Adorable even. I may even try and change her."

"You know I am not going to let that happen," Luke said mildly, moving between Gene and I so Gene could no longer look at me.

I swallowed hard. I knew this wasn't really about me, but I also felt like I was somehow responsible. I was the excuse they were using. I was terrified.

Luke turned to me and gave me a smile, moving to pat my thigh gently. "Have no fears, Red. He'll never lay a paw on you."

I managed a smile, but I was still afraid. Gene had more people than Luke did, and if Link had men he was holding back to wait until after?

Luke stepped out from behind the bar and up to Gene. "I say we do this the old way. You and me. Our packs don't need to be hurt."

"I knew you would say that," Gene laughed. "Just because you are younger doesn't mean you are better, boy."

"And just because you are old doesn't mean you are smarter."

"I think I will pass," Gene laughed. "My boys are spoiling for a fight. Yours look a little tired and unsure. They smell worse than they look. You could just step down, let your boys come under me and give me the girl. No one but you and Lionel would have to die."

One of the men behind Lukas growled. A huge man with a full beard down to his belly button.

Luke was grinning now. "Do I smell afraid, Gene?" he asked, still calm.

Gene was almost smiling too, but basically just showing his teeth. "You have never had enough sense to be afraid when you should. You're willing to get all your boys..."

Luke moved then, a lunging movement so fast that I couldn't follow him. One moment he was standing in front of Gene, the next he was off to the side and his hand was out beside him and bloody. My eyes snapped back to Gene and he looked stunned with half his throat missing.

Luke threw the mass of bloody meat on the floor at the foot of another large man as Gene dropped bonelessly to the ground, blood pouring out of the hole in his throat. The man let out a screaming roar of rage and anguish, torn between rushing to Gene and attacking Luke. I was terrified, the man was huge and none of Luke's people were moving. Luke was so close to all of Gene's people! Weren't they going to go and help him?!?

I dropped off of the bar, half launching myself and grabbed a wine opener before rushing to Luke and keep the men back.

The huge man looked at me and lunged with a primal scream. I had a moment of clarity where I had realized my stupid mistake and realize I was about to die horribly, but then something hurdled into the huge man and sent him careening against the far wall.

The giant... thing that was in front of me was not human. It was shaped sort of like a human, but covered in blonde fur. It stood on two legs, but hunched with it's arms held out at it's sides, it's fingers ending in claws that were bloody. I could not see it's face, only it's back. I was so stunned I only stood there. Something snatched me from behind and yanked me back as chaos seemed to erupt. There was screaming and yelling, but I was tucked under an arm as I tried to watch. I could only see blood and fur.

"Let me go!" I cried, trying to look for the thing with the blonde fur.

"Stay down Red!" David yelled.

"Let me go, he NEEDS me!" I screamed, trying to find him in the chaos. THERE! He was in the corner with another creature against the wall. I watched as he ripped a throat out with his teeth, then sprang back as another thing with gray fur launched itself at him. The gray one spun and a black one started to push through the bodies behind him to get to him. "Luke, look out!!" I screamed, frozen with fear.