Charmingly Ruthless

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I made my choice when I first looked at the drawings. I wanted confirmation from you two. So write on a piece of paper your choice, using the names Abbot, Brighouse, Multi-build and Somers. I'll also write down my choice."

"Right, let's all flip our piece of paper." Judith was pleased to see they all favoured Cole Brighouse's proposal. Judith agreed with Chase to insist that Cole appoint his wife Leah as project manager as a condition of him being awarded the contact after Judith had his proposal independently assessed.

On the way home Chase called in to visit Cole and Leah.

Cole greeted her and said it was late to be calling. Chase brushed past him and laughing said she had promising news for Leah and him.

"Leah's down the South Island skiing."

"Oooh, I shouldn't be here alone after dark with you, considering you reputation."

Cole grinned and said it was okay. He knew if he touched her Pearson would deal with him."

"Pearson? He has no claim on me?"

"Oh yeah? That guy is nuts about you. I lunched with him when you were in Australia and he was acting like a love-sick calf."

"Who Pearson?"

"Who else are we talking about?"

"I-I... oh he hasn't mentioned liking me."

"Well I assume he's fucking you?"

"Yes."

"Well why would he do that if he didn't really like you."

Chase said hotly because he was male.

"Yeah that would be true in most instances but Pearson is a little different, I believe. I learned one evening when we were both really drunk that his standard is to fuck only women he'd like to marry."

"Should you be telling me that?"

"I don't know. Why?"

"I don't know either."

"Well, well. So you are now lit up over Pearson?"

"Yes, but keep that to yourself. I'm hear to tell you are Judith's preferred developer but she wants Leah to be clerk of works and I don't want you to argue over that. I've told Judith to make it a condition of..."

"Leah's told me how you worked on her about that. I've already agreed to her being engaged in that position if we win the contract."

"Oh good. Then you are bound to get the job and that raises another point. I don't believe you can take on that additional work as well as stand for election as mayor and act as mayor if you win. It could compromise Judith's project."

"Yeah and I've already decided to withdraw if I win that contract."

Chase said she thought that was an astute business decision and she wasn't worried her champion would be returned unopposed because it was widely agreed he was performing very adequately. "It's a fulltime commitment."

"I know. Come over here for a cuddle."

"Cole?"

"I know, Leah's not here to give her consent. But she has other guys, I have other women. She probably has a guy with her on this ski trip."

"Are you sure?"

"One is never sure about everything but how about this. She told me once she'd been fucked twice by Pearson. Come over here darling, it's okay. Just a cuddle."

"Are you sure?"

He flopped lengthways on the sofa where he'd been sitting and held out his arms. Chase left her chair tentatively and repeated was he sure and heard a reply that sounded like 'More or less' but couldn't be sure. What kind of reply was that but she didn't stop walking and dropped on to the sofa against her and Cole hauled her in.

"How promiscuous are you?" he murmured and she replied, "Just a little" as she was kissed and felt him digging out a breast. He was struggling with it so she assisted and thought to herself, "God, I'm such a whore."

Later, panting and aroused, Chase unzipped him and dug out a long thin boner.

"That's it darling, lick and suck. Leah likes me without hair because she doesn't like picking out hair between her teeth. You know I fretted thinking I'd never snare you."

Chase had her mouth full so didn't attempt to answer. Instead she concentrated on blocking out guilt.

They fucked, must the once, and she thought Cole appeared more than satisfied. He tweaked her nipples, too hard for her likening, but tongued passionately but not roughly so he received a pass mark for that. Sweated and groaned rather a lot but she endured it and was pleased he did a great job at varying his angle of thrusting and ramming and jamming her until she was almost breathless with nerve ends really on edge until she groaned and came around his dick copiously. He pulled out and only a small amount of his cum dotted over her tummy. Well, well. That was unspectacular, to say the least.

"You fuck well," he offered.

"Yes because you're a guy who knows how to dick a woman."

He reached for her and positively gurgled and a few minutes later she felt guiltily and hoping it didn't get out and blow the developing friendship between Pearson, Cole Leah and her. As couples they appeared very compatible.

Three days later Chase and the consultant from Australia who'd been responsible for the installation and commissioning of three of the smaller newspaper editorial computerized systems reported to her board and their recommendations were accepted in full on a unanimous vote with the proviso that commissioning be staged so that expenditure could be halved between the current financial year and the new year starting on April 1. The consultant whispered to Chase to agree to that because he could get the suppliers to delay invoicing and they could proceed on the proposed timetable, with fully commissioning in two months. Training courses for journalists began next day.

With those negotiations completed, Chase moved into her next project -- to establish a weekend magazine to be printed as an inserted in Saturday's edition. She knew with her experience that project would be a breeze for her providing the advertising department pulled its weight. She immediately began designing the format and assigning a graphic artist and a senior sub-editor to work with her three hours each afternoon. They pondered over a name, with Chase describing the objective as to provide Evening News readers with relaxed reading over the weekend.

With the discussion grinding on she sighed, "Okay, let's call it Weekend Magazine."

"Most weekend inserts are named after the mothership carrying it," Bert said. "This name leaves me nervous."

The designer said it exactly encapsulated the mission statement of a publication for relaxed reading over the weekend but readers would know it was a magazine. The Walton Evening News didn't have the word newspaper in its title.

"Right a good point Frances, we'll call it The Weekender," Chase said. "That name is not original and I want a short name -- we can run a small line beneath the name calling it as a weekly insert in the Walton Evening News. I'll request Allen the assistant advertising manager sit in with us from tomorrow and ask that Allen be given advertising responsibility for our new baby. We'll go with a 60-40 editorial to advertising mix and set the advertising rate 30% above the newspaper rate because of the quality of newsprint and quality of content."

CHAPTER 10

Pearson and Chase were standing drinking coffee with Harold when Baxter and Aimee were shown into the meeting room. Chase immediate went behind the table so the new arrivals couldn't kiss her. She introduced Baxter and Aimee to the men.

Baxter asked Pearson, "In what capacity are you here?"

"I'm Miss Lewis's consultant. We have clear film clip of you making threatening remarks in the foyer of her workplace and of you defacing the mirror in the lift in her apartment building. If you come near Miss Lewis again my instruction is to rip your balls off your dick."

The much smaller Baxter took two steps back into the arms of Aimee who emitted a couple of sobs.

"Thank you gentlemen. Could we be seated around the table? Baxter and Aimee you sit to my right," Harold said. "I request we make no reference to the past at this unrecorded conference. The purpose of this meeting Baxter is to entice you to move on transfer with your bank to say Perth. For that disruption to your life Miss Lewis is prepared to offer you a relocation fee in cash of $10,000."

"But I don't want to go to Australia," Baxter said hotly.

Meanwhile Chase was staring at Harold wondering where the instruction to offer only ten grand had come from.

Harold said his client was prepared to offer an inducement. "What level of offer would you consider is an appropriate investment."

"Oh, I'd think half a million."

Pearson growled, "It would be cheaper for me to yank out his balls then he'd loose interested in all women."

"Thank you for that contribution," Harold said but it is unacceptable.

Amiee cried, "Darling, please be reasonable. Extract a goodly amount and I'd go with you."

"You would?"

"Yes darling. I love what you do for me."

"So would twenty thousand dollars sound fair to you Miss McCullough?"

"Yes, but it's not for me to say."

Chase stood and said coldly, "This meeting is going nowhere and you two are behaving pathetically. This offer is final Baxter and is open for ninety days beginning from today. You leave New Zealand and sign the document Mr Younger has prepared stating you will not pester me again nor ever talk to me again unless its legal business with me and with my lawyer present. In return I'll pay across $50,000 in cash. If you break our agreement I'll not bother with legal action, I'll just turn my minder on you."

Pearson was smart enough to take his cue and cracked his knuckles. Baxter turned a little pale and said agreed, he'd apply for a transfer immediately.

"Thank you for reaching an amicable agreement with my client in the spirit of goodwill Mr Hudson. Please return with evidence of your new position in Western Australia or perhaps in South Australia if you are unable to secure a position there and air tickets, sign the agreement and I'll fetch you the $50,000 in cash my client will have deposited with me."

"I thought it would cost you a hundred grand," Harold said, sharing a bottle of wine with Chase while Pearson sipped beer. "You coming in big like that Chase probably made him think it was either that or nothing, so he took it."

"He'll not sleep tonight," Chase giggled. He'll be thinking what really was my bottom line. Thanks Harold and your too Pearson for assisting to get rid of the beast."

"He might not get that transfer," Harold cautioned.

"Oh I think he will. He's highly regarded in his bank and has won industry awards. My only regret is I didn't make a condition that the only way he'd get the money was for me to stuff it up his asshole," Chase smiled, causing Harold to look a little scandalized.

"Don't be dismayed Harold. There is probably nobody as charmingly ruthless as my dear Chase."

"Oh darling, you say just the sweetest things to me," she cooed.

* * *

After Harold as chairman and Judith as deputy-chairman spoken to each local director individually, Harold called Freddie Mills, chairman of Lighthouse.

"Hi Harold, how is life in the provinces?"

"Very fulfilling thanks Freddie. You are well I hope, coping with the pressures that come with your type of business."

"Indeed but this call is business no doubt. Are you requiring a capital injection from Lighthouse?"

"No, not at all. We are going through a good patch at the moment. Circulation and advertising revenue are both up, quite markedly at the moment. We are very pleased and our new managing editor has much to do with that as the newspaper has become more aggressive, more challenging and dare I say more informative about local affairs."

"That's excellent but is simply the role of a newspaper. What is it Harold."

"I'm holding back a revolt of local directors Freddie, stimulated by my deputy and myself. I have to present you with an ultimatum: one of your appointees to the board that sour-faced Miss Ellen Smith is proving to be disruptive and objectionable. In the nicest possible way we ask that you replace her immediately."

"I see and if I don't?"

"Freddie please. You and I go a long way. I have no wish to deliver threats to an old pal."

"I see. So it's that bad is it?"

"Indeed."

"Well as it happens this is opportune. Two days ago we purchased a major holding in a coastal shipping company that is on the brink of insolvency. I need to appoint a chairman and have been casting around looking for the right person. It appears you have spotlighted that person for me. Shipping thrives on tough-ass doers like Ellen who is more that adequately academically qualified for the role although right at this moment she won't know the sharp end of a boat from its fat ass. I'll appoint her to that position at a meeting this afternoon Harold and announce her replacement on your board as Arnold Fife. Arnie is our Wellington branch manager, a good solid chap with solid community values and who retires in a couple of years but if he suits you I'll probably keep him on as our nominee."

"Thanks pal. This will calm my board down."

"By the way my PA Fran Hogan left a couple of hours ago to fly to Walton for four nights. She's staying with Judith your deputy. Those two became chummy while I was away when Judith called me a couple of times hoping to speak to me. We are investing in her property development but you know that of course."

"Freddie, Judith is my client. I'm afraid I can't speak to anyone about my clients' affairs."

"Of course, understood. You always were conservative. Now if you weren't so old Fran would be a tremendous one night stand for you."

"Freddie!"

"Oh sorry, I'm speaking to Mr Straight-and Narrow aren't I? I bet you haven't dropped the panties of a bit of fluff since you began courting Helen. Give her my regards by the way."

Harold called Judith and said he needed to brief her.

"Come around now."

"No, dine with Helen and me at the Majestic Hotel this evening."

"I'd love to but I have a guest arriving soon."

"Bring him along," Harold said innocently.

"It is a woman."

"That's fine. I can hold my own up conversationally with three ladies."

"She may be too young to be a lady Harold."

He ignored that. "I'll get my PA to call you when she's spoken to Helen and made the booking. Bye Judith."

Harold put down his phone and stroked his groin lightly, saying, "Get ready for possible action old boy." He was surprised he was thinking of committing adultery in his hometown. Until now he'd committed totally to the apophthegm: 'don't foul your own nest'. He switched to rubbing his chin thoughtfully

Chase Lewis, after another onerous day at the office dealing with budgetary problems, complaints against the newspaper, an allegation of assault by a male executive against a female executive and being confronted by her chief of staff, chief sub-editor and features editor being opposed to the introduction of a weekend magazine section in the newspaper, sat with her feet up sipping a martini. She sighed, knowing she'd spent almost nine hours at her desk and had spent little time on planning and other 'positive' aspects of her responsibilities. She sipped and thought such was life.

Chase was pleased how everything was going for her socially.

She's instituted a Friday lunch that she used to keep up with aspects of community life, including gossip but also news of coming events still under wraps, scheduled visits by prominent visitors and other things that help a newspaper 'tick'. The luncheon nucleus with her 'presiding' was her newspaper's highly respected columnist Muriel Smithers and her deputy's wife Trish Wrightson, owner of a dress boutique and now one of Chase's closest friends, Leah Brighouse and the wife of the mayor Crystal Alum. Often those people invited someone and at times there would be ten or a dozen people at the table.

"I'm settling in well here," Chase said aloud, pouring another drink. Pearson expected to arrive from Auckland in time for late dinner by 8:00 to 8:30.

She had gathered in good friends and acquaintances and was quite right to consider herself fortunate. There was no way significant changes were about to occur.

* * *

Judith with her guest entered the ornate dining room of old Majestic Hotel, the revered 'watering hole' and special occasion dining venue of lawyers and other senior professionals. As they reached the table Harold jumped up and exclaimed, "Fran, what a delight to see you in Walton."

Judith looked surprised and Harold knew his wife would be bursting with curiosity as Fran was dressed to impressed and looked quite stunning.

"Good evening Harold," Fran said, stepping forward to kiss him on the cheek. Harold kissed Judith and said, "Fran this is my wife Helen."

"Oh Mrs Younger, how delightful to meet you. I've known Harold for almost three years now as I used to be in charge of greeting VIPs visiting the Lighthouse Insurance Company in Wellington. I'm now PA to our chairman Mr Mills."

"Oh Freddie's personal assistant. Please give him my fondest regards. Freddie and Harold attended boarding school and then law school together."

"Oh really?" Fran said diplomatically, already aware of that connection learned at the time Harold was having a very different kind of connection with her in a hotel room at the airport.

After the main course Harold excuse himself and asked Judith to sit out in the lounge with him for a few minutes for a confidential conversation.

"You can tell me here Harold," Judith admonished. "We are here among friends."

"Well it concerns Lighthouse," Harold said. Fran smiled and said whatever was said at the table would remain confidential as far as she was concerned.

Harold briefed Judith that he'd asked Freddie to remove Ellen Smith from the board, as she was disruptive.

"Thank god for that initiative. What did Freddie say? Was there blood on the floor?"

"No I just said I had a big request to make and that I respected him too much to fight him over it."

"Oooh, that's the way to handle Freddie," Fran cooed, drawing a sharp look from Helen, probably because of her sexy tone.

"He agreed, effective immediately, and said the request had stimulated his own mind as he'd appoint her to the board of a coastal shipping company in which Lighthouse had just purchased a controlling interest."

"Oh brilliant," Fran said. "There was talk of the need for a totally aggressive chairman to go in there and clean-up and demolish the management subculture of wallowing in indolence and excessiveness that has helped bring that company near to collapse. Who is Ellen's successor?"

"Lighthouse's Wellington branch manager Arnold Fife."

"Oh excellent. Arnie is a very efficient operator although near to retirement. But he's firm, sharp of mind and very courteous to ladies. He'll fit your culture well."

"Personal assistant? Fran you sound more like a director of operations," Helen complimented and the reply was Helen was much too kind.

"I share that feeling Helen as I've done a wee bit of business with Fran. I must tell you, Fran was born here in Walton, the only child of Mary and Brad Walton, now deceased.

"Oh yes, the Walton's who lived in Rossister Street," Helen said. "I remember... they were tragically killed by a logging truck near Rotorua after the truck driver suffered a heart attack and the truck cross the yellow dividing lines of the highway and struck their small car and the car behind crashed into those two vehicles, killing the sole occupant. It was horrible."

"You have a good memory Mrs Younger."

"Call me Helen dear. It's lovely having you back in Walton."

* * *

Leah arrived back from her ski trip on Saturday afternoon and from her lack of affection as they kissed at the airport Cole knew something was wrong. She told him over a snack of lamb pie that she'd fallen in love with a deer farmer near Lake Wanaka where she'd been skiing in the South Island.

Cole eyed her steadily. "You ski with someone, what, six times and go to bed with him, what, five times, and you think you are in love with him?"