Chasing Alex Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Right, and what about you? Will you continue on with the job, now that we're safely away from Chase?"

Alex smiled, and Leila thought she saw a hint of pride in her expression. "I have a few things to take care of before then."

Of course she did. Leila placed a hand over Alex's, tightening her grip slightly to show her friend she was anxious. "When will I see you again?"

Alex squeezed back. "Don't worry, I'll pay you a visit soon. Your 21st is coming up and I want to be by your side when you march up to that bar and order your first drink."

Leila frowned. Her 21st birthday was not coming up, it was still two years away. Surely Alex didn't mean for them to be separated for two years? But then, she was still talking in code wasn't she.

March up to that bar...

Could she mean the 21st of March? Leila pressed her thumb to the bottom centre of her phone, lighting up the screen. Today was the 18th, which meant that the 21st was 3 days from now. It made sense. She looked back up to Alex and nodded her understanding. Now she just needed to know where. They had several designated meeting spaces across Europe that they'd agreed upon a few years ago once Leila had started to play an active role in the heists. They used 4 digit numbers to identify them, and Alex had made Leila recite them over and over during her training to ensure she knew them by heart. So far, Alex hadn't mentioned any numbers that could be code for a location.

As the car came to a halt outside of the international airport, Leila began to panic, thinking she must have missed something in the short conversation they'd had. Alex popped the boot of the car open for her so she could grab her carry-on and then handed her an envelope.

Leila gave her a puzzled look, then peeked inside. There were no airline tickets in there, just a wad of cash and one of their emergency credit cards.

"Your flight number is 2406," Alex winked. "Travel safe."

* * * * *

At 9.30am, Spencer pulled up at the Barcelona train station. It was flooded with people; mostly tourists and backpackers, but also locals on their work commute.

From the front seat, Gabe passed a gun to Chase, which he shoved into the back of his pants. "You sure you don't want back up?"

"I'll be fine, just keep your phones on you and be quick to move. We know well enough what Alex is like and we can't afford to be caught off guard."

The two tracking devices had split ways about ten minutes ago at Barcelona airport, with the stiletto remaining still, and the phone moving in their direction.

Gabe looked hesitant. "If the girl gets on a plane, we won't know her destination until she lands so we'll be some time behind her."

Chase glanced at his watch. "She would have had to allow for 45 minutes check in. The airport is 20 minutes from here, and Spencer can get there in 15. You'll make it if you leave now." He stepped out of the car, closing the door without another word. Spencer didn't wait any longer, planting his foot on the gas and leaving him amongst the crowd of people at the station.

He collected his tickets and then settled into a corner of the station where he was concealed, but still had a good view of the foot traffic.

It didn't take long to spot her in the crowd. Despite her tiny frame, several heads turned to watch her as she walked towards the information desk. She was undeniably pleasant to look at, and the way she held herself almost demanded attention. Dressed in a loose fitted beige blouse and belted black pants that fit snugly against her shapely ass, she was a style icon. Her long dark hair was tied back into a sleek pony tail and large oversized sunglasses covered her eyes. Chase's gaze followed her as she approached the desk and greeted a man standing beside it. The man was older, perhaps in his fifties, balding at the sides of his head, and wearing thick rimmed spectacles. She placed a hand on his shoulder as she acknowledged him; a gesture that wasn't affectionate but that indicated she knew him well. Chase wondered who this man was to her. He didn't look like a local, but he couldn't have travelled far to make it here on such short notice. After a few quick pleasantries, the man handed Alex a brief case and then turned and left without another word.

Chase frowned. She had purchased two tickets so he'd assumed this man would be boarding the train with her. Was she meeting someone else? She hadn't sent any other texts or made any calls since last night. He watched as she boarded the train alone, and then he swiftly followed behind her, keeping just enough distance so she wouldn't see him approaching. The usher checked off his ticket and told him his suite number, but he kept his eyes on Alex and continued down the aisle behind her. She turned into a suite on the right, and he placed a hand on the gun at his trouser belt as he neared.

The door was still slightly ajar and he took a deep breath before slipping in and pulling the gun from his waist. But before he had time to raise it, he found himself staring down the barrel of another gun.

"Drop it." Alex's voice ordered. Her sunglasses were now atop her head, and her green eyes were fiery as she glared at him.

Motherfucker. His grip tightened on the gun as his eyes scanned the room. There was no one else in here; she was alone. He considered his options; he could easily overpower her if she didn't pull the trigger quick enough. But then, this was Alex, and he wasn't about to doubt her response time.

"Drop. It." Alex repeated, her tone more threatening.

Deciding the odds were not in his favour, he tossed the gun onto the floor and raised his arms.

"Did you really think you could tamper with my phone without me knowing?" she tutted before her rouged lips turned up into a smug smile.

"How long have you known?" Chase couldn't keep the irritation from his voice. He'd walked right into her trap like a fool, once again.

"Since the moment I picked it up." She used one arm to open her briefcase while the arm holding the gun remained directed at him. "Hacking the phone of a hacker? Not your smartest move. Give me yours."

Chase's hand slowly moved to his back pocket.

"Try anything, and I'll shoot." Her voice held not even the slightest waver to tell him otherwise.

He tossed her his phone and then raised his arms back in the air.

"Passcode," she demanded.

"7215."

He watched as she tapped in the code with one hand. "I figured out pretty quickly that you'd installed a tracker and malware to monitor calls and texts. I just couldn't be certain on whether you'd tapped into the microphone as well." She gave him a brilliant smile, the kind of smile that would leave any ordinary man flustered and speechless. "But seeing as I falsely told Mikael to take the necklace to Paris, and you're here... I guess I don't have to dispose of my phone just yet."

"How do you know I didn't send Gabe and Spencer after him?" He challenged, still seething, but secretly enjoying the banter that bounced so easily between them.

She scrutinised his face for a moment before gently shaking her head. "No. You would have sent them after someone else."

Of course, she would have known they'd seen her stop at the airport before the train station.

"And speaking of Gabe and Spence..." she kept the gun directed at him while she typed a message into his phone. "I'm sure they'll be happy to hear that you've found me and that you've secured the necklace." When she finished typing, Chase's eyes followed her fingers as she slipped the phone into her cleavage.

"You're not worried about your little friend?" She'd seemed so possessive over the girl last night, and yet she was oddly calm now.

"She's a big girl, she's proven she can handle herself."

He watched as she pulled a pair of handcuffs from the briefcase and threw them at him. "One hand cuffed to the bed post." She motioned to where she wanted him.

"Kinky," he smirked.

She rolled her pretty eyes. "Don't flatter yourself, Bradbury."

He secured one of his hands, passing up on the notion of falsely locking the cuff - he knew better by now - and then moved to the far side of the bed, away from the door. "I've had you once already, Alex, what makes you think I couldn't seduce you again?"

She laughed, "What makes you think you were the one who did the seducing?"

He looked up at her with dangerous eyes as he secured the other cuff to the bed post, "You can't fake that kind of passion, sweetheart." He pulled firmly against the restraints, showing her he was secured, but it didn't stop her from examining it herself. She kept the gun pointed firmly at him while her free hand wrapped around his forearm, twisting it to check the cuff was secure. "Satisfied?" he asked with amusement, his free hand gently brushing against the round of her ass.

She pressed the barrel of the gun firmly against his sternum and then her hot breath was against his ear. "Unless you want a bullet in your chest," she whispered, "I suggest you keep your hands to yourself."

It wasn't a promise he was going to make, given he was aching to touch every inch of her body, but he removed his hand and watched as she planted herself in a cross-legged position atop the bed and opened up her laptop. He caught a glance at some images of diamonds, before she turned the screen further away from his prying eyes.

"Looking for your next steal?" he asked drily.

She left his question unanswered. It looked like it was going to be a long five days aboard the Al Andalus.

* * * * *

Leila downed the last of her latte as she continued scrolling on her laptop. She'd been sitting in the airport arrivals cafe since Alex had dropped her off an hour ago. She had three days to reach her destination, and it would really only take her a few hours to get there, so she figured she may as well sit and enjoy a hot drink while she decided what route she would take. She could go by plane, but she hated to fly. Train or bus would take longer, but it meant she could stop off at a variety of places on the way.

This was the first time in years that she'd had a bit of time to herself where her journey hadn't already been planned by Alex, and to Alex's schedule. Plus she had more than triple the amount of cash needed for travel and accommodation, as well as a credit card with god knows how much limit on it. She could actually enjoy Europe as a tourist rather than focusing on business. She tilted her head to the left, then right, feeling a kink in her neck that could only have been caused from last night's escapades. Perhaps she would go get a massage.

She checked her watch. 10.45am. What the hell, she'd get her nails done too. Her laptop told her there was a day spa with good reviews only ten minutes from the airport. Smiling, she packed the computer back into her suitcase and headed towards the taxi rank.

There were at least eight taxis parked out the front, and all of the drivers looked at her eagerly. It must be a slow day. She approached the closest one and the driver gladly took her suitcase and packed it into the boot of the car while she slid into the back seat and closed the door behind her. As she went to buckle her seatbelt, the door on the other side opened and she gasped as a burly man slid in beside her. At first she was surprised, and then when she saw his face, terror swept over her. Spencer. Adrenaline kicked in and she quickly reached for the door handle on her side, prepared to run, but it was already swinging open. Gabe was there, waiting for her, a devious grin on his handsome face.

"Mind if we join you, love?" She had no choice but to shuffle over as he planted himself next to her, flashing her the hilt of his gun as he did so. A clear warning to cooperate. Frozen in the middle of the two large men, she held her breath as Gabe leant over her and buckled her seatbelt across her lap. A shiver coursed through her body when his warm breath brushed against her ear. "Wouldn't want you getting hurt on the drive now, would we?"

The taxi driver threw her a questioning look as he returned to the driver's seat, and she forced what she hoped was a relaxed smile. It must have convinced him, because he started the engine.

"The Hilton Diagonal," Spencer instructed the driver, then glanced at Leila. "It might not be the Monument, but hey, it's got a great bar."

* * * * *

"I need to use the bathroom."

Leila pretended she didn't hear him as she continued her research on the Americans. She'd fallen so far behind on this job it would be a miracle if she managed to salvage it. And as much as she tried, she just couldn't seem to concentrate on anything with him only metres away from her.

Her mind was also on Leila. She couldn't help wondering if she'd made a mistake in sending her off on her own. They'd been together for 6 years now, and she knew it was well past time that she gave her an opportunity to prove what she was capable of, but it still gave her anxiety knowing she was out there with Gabe and Spencer hot on her trail. Please, let her be smart, she thought to herself.

"I can just do it right here on the floor if you'd prefer?"

She sighed in exasperation and grabbed a tight hold of her gun. "Fine, but make it quick." She tossed Chase the keys to the handcuffs and kept an eye on him as he moved into the bathroom. "Keep the door open."

"If you insist." He remained facing her as he unbuckled his pants and she quickly looked away, but not before getting a glimpse of his manhood. She worked hard to keep her face impassive as he relieved himself, but this man did things to her she couldn't even admit to herself. She waited until she heard the flush of the toilet and the zip of his pants before turning back to ensure he locked himself back to the bed post. The keys landed back in her lap with a soft thud and she placed them into the bedside drawer beside her.

She re-opened her briefcase and pulled out the velvet box that she'd used to lure Chase into this trap. It was petty, but she felt the need to further assert herself as the dominant one in the room. Opening the box, she unfolded the silk casing and drew the necklace into her hands. It was a stunning string of white diamonds surrounding a large, heart shaped ruby. Alex held it against her neck and glanced over at Chase, who was eyeing her like a hawk.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" she smiled deviously.

Chase's eyes didn't move from hers. "Beautiful, yes. Just as all unattainable items are."

Alex tilted her head. Of course, she wasn't surprised that a man like Chase Bradbury would find value in attaining the unattainable. It was all about the ego for men like him. But she had thought she'd seen glimpses of him that implied he was more than that. "You mean to say that once you've attained something it is no longer desirable to you?"

It was his turn to smile. "If that was the case, I wouldn't be here right now, would I?"

Unsure how to respond to that remark, she turned away and examined the necklace more closely. The diamonds sparkled delightfully between her fingertips.

"How exactly did you come to possess such a jewel?" she asked suspiciously.

He chuckled. "If you're going to accuse me of being a thief, darling, come out and say it, don't tiptoe around the question."

"Fine. Who did you steal it from?"

"My father."

His answer caused her to frown. His father? She'd researched Chase Bradbury thoroughly before working in his household, and his father had been an addict who could barely afford to eat.

"And who did he steal it from?"

"I couldn't tell you, I was only a boy."

Alex carefully wrapped the necklace back into its casing and placed the box into her briefcase. When she looked up, she realised Chase was watching her curiously.

"You know, we're not that different, me and you." he said softly.

She laughed lightly at that remark. "Oh, Chase, we couldn't be more different."

"And how do you figure that, sweetheart? You're just as much the thief that I was all those years ago; smart enough and tough enough to make it into this world. Not many who come from where we did can say the same."

Oh wow, he had absolutely no idea. She shook her head and raised her eyes to the roof. Of course, he would try to find a point in common with her, appeal to her emotional side. She looked down at him, noticing the confused crease of his brow.

"I didn't come from where you did," she said icily. "I grew up a stone's throw away from your mansion in Bellevue Hill.

She continued, despite Chase's puzzled expression. "I had two maids who bathed me and dressed me, a chef on call to cook any meal I requested, and a chauffeur to drive me wherever my heart desired. I had a credit card from the age of 7 with no limit. I had a wardrobe the size of this suite, filled with designer dresses and shoes."

She stood abruptly and slipped her feet into her stilettos. "You think you know who I am, where I've come from?" She opened the door and turned back to glare at him. "You know nothing about me."

* * * * *

Leila stared out at the gorgeous sea view from the bedroom window. They were 23 storeys up in one of the presidential suites, which featured a spacious bedroom and living area, and a glorious bathroom with a whirlpool bath tub that looked like it could seat at least eight people. It was as luxurious as the Monument Hotel she'd stayed in with Alex, except that here she was being held against her will and couldn't exactly relax like she had at the Monument.

"Somehow I don't think you're going to be able to escape via the window this time, love." Gabe's voice was close behind her and she tried to steady her fast beating heart.

"I'm sure I'll find another way out," she surprised herself by how well she controlled the tremor in her voice.

Gabe's laugh was genuine. "You've got courage, I'll give you that."

"You call it courage, I call it stupidity." Spencer grumbled. Leila turned to face them then. Spencer had planted himself into an armchair. He was a solid man with harsh features that some would find attractive in a brooding kind of way, but that she could only find terrifying. She chose to focus on Gabe instead, who despite his height, made her feel much more relaxed.

He fell into the other armchair, his long legs stretched out in front of him, then motioned to the couch, "Have a seat."

She hesitated a moment before sitting stiffly on the edge of the couch.

"First of all, I think it's about time you gave us your name."

Don't ever give your real name. It had been the first thing Alex had taught her all those years ago... But then, Alex had given her real name, and they both had enough aliases behind them to turn to if they needed to.

"Leila."

Gabe's eyes searched hers, determining whether or not she was telling the truth. She took that moment to admire the little flecks of gold in his brown eyes.

"Leila." He nodded. "Real or not, at least we have something to call you now."

Spencer leaned forward in his armchair. "What were you doing at the airport, Leila?" His voice lacked the warmth that Gabe's had, and Leila swallowed, trying to remember everything Alex had taught her about responding to interrogations.

Keep to the truth as much as possible. Only change essential details.

"Alex dropped me there. She told me I was done on this job and that I could go home. I decided I wanted to do some shopping first, so that's why I was getting into the taxi."

"And you were going to lug your suitcase around with you all over Barcelona?" Spencer's eyebrow raised.

Fuck. She stole a glance at Gabe, who had relaxed back in his chair, happy to let Spencer lead the questions. This was obviously his area of expertise.