Chasing Eden Ch. 01-03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As a cab approached, the blonde woman felt a need to explain herself for some reason. With a loud sigh, she expressed, "I know you guys don't really care about this stuff, but I just went through a really weird breakup... Well, we weren't technically dating but..."

Seeing the troubled look on the Latina's face, Eddie decided to interrupt her. "You don't have to explain yourself. We actually already know about the situation."

"You do? You mean... Peter wasn't just pretending to know?"

"Uhh... I don't know how much he's told you about himself, but he's actually pretty high up there in terms of hierarchy at the company. I've been his right-hand man for several years now, so I have to go to some of those executive board meetings with him... and they do discuss those sorts of relationship-esque rumors... much to our annoyance..."

"Oh, sorry..." Camilla said, going red in the face. "Sorry to be a source of annoyance..."

"It's not you," Eddie assured, giving another comforting smile. "Peter and I are just more focused on our jobs, but we can talk about that later. It looks like your cab is here."

After shaking hands once again, they said their goodbyes as Eddie watched Camilla get into a taxi cab. When the car was gone and he knew he was no longer in her sights, he allowed the smile on his face to fade before reentering the building.

Once he found Peter near the stairs, he approached and asked, "Why did you stop me earlier? Did you think I was going to tell her?"

Staring out into the street at the exact spot the taxi picked Camilla up, Peter answered, "No, but I didn't want to risk it."

"It's none of my business but I think she has a right to know," Eddie replied, shrugging his shoulders. "Do you have a specific reason for not telling her?"

"There's no need... I don't intend on being friends with her, so there is no point in going down that road."

"As always, I respect your decision. She does seem pretty squared away though. If she turns out as reliable as we think she will, should we tell her about the other project?"

"Absolutely not."

***

The day of the trip, Camilla showed up at the airport wearing sunglasses. Despite her urgency to start the next chapter of her life, her eyes still wore the sadness of the past. She was a mess on the inside, and though she knew the trip would be difficult for her, she needed something that symbolized moving forward with her life.

After making it through security, the blonde found Peter and Eddie with a new beginning on the horizon. Giving them both a smile, she greeted them individually.

Camilla turned her body towards Peter and extended her hand. "I want to apologize for some of the things I said to you the other day. It was uncalled for, and it won't happen again."

Though there was no smile on his face, Peter gently shook her hand and expressed, "I don't care about that stuff..."

"Look, I know you say you don't care but..."

"I really don't care," Peter interrupted before fully explaining himself. "If you want to talk to me like that, then go ahead. You're on this team for a specific reason, and it's not to be nice to me."

After an awkward pause, Camilla didn't know what else to do but try to make a joke. "I guess it's good that I can talk to you like that. I mean, I don't know how else I'd get through a five-hour flight with you."

The two glanced at each other before Eddie stepped in. "You'll actually be sitting with me. We have a lot of stuff to go over before we get to LA, so I don't think you'll even have time to interact with Peter."

Camilla took a second to look at both men and take in the seriousness of the situation. Although she had respect for their accolades and positions, this was the first time she could really sense how work-oriented the trip was going to be.

When they boarded the plane, Camilla almost felt relieved as she took her seat in first-class. With all the traveling she had done throughout her time at Sunshine, it was almost comforting to be on a plane again, despite it symbolizing a new chapter.

Much to her surprise, however, she couldn't take her eyes off Peter when she noticed him proceeding towards the back of the plane. She continued to turn her head, trying to keep track of where he was going, but he eventually disappeared into the crowd of people who were finding their seats.

"Where is Peter going?" she asked, looking at Eddie with a confused expression on her face. "Is he not sitting with us?"

"His seat is in economy."

"Oh... does he not want to sit by me because of something I said?"

"No, he just never sits in first-class. He thinks it's a waste of money."

"Umm... we're in first-class though...:

"Yeah, I usually sit back there with him," Eddie explained nonchalantly. "He just put us here because he figured you would want it. Besides, we have a lot of work to go over, so it helps to have some room and privacy."

"Oh, right... But why doesn't he like first-class? I mean, he likes to drink, and there is free alcohol up here."

"Well... it's way more expensive... and he can buy alcohol back there for much less than the difference between coach and first..."

"Okay... well, obviously I didn't think of that... I promise I'm not that bad with financial stuff."

"It's totally fine," Eddie said with a chuckle. "We know how smart you are. Besides, you're covering for our weaknesses just as much as we are for yours."

"That's nice of you to put it like that. You seem much more understanding than Peter."

"Yeah... he's got a lot on his plate right now... but I wouldn't mind him. Let's just focus on what we are going to be presenting to the clients and agents for now."

Much to Camilla's surprise, Eddie spent the entirety of the flight going through paperwork with her. And though they did enjoy the free drinks that first-class provided, she was impressed that his mind never diverted from business.

The only time the conversation even slightly changed from work was when Camilla caught a glimpse of a book inside of Eddie's backpack, while he was switching through documents. Sensing that he was watching her, she quickly tried to throw him off her tracks.

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

Maybe it was the alcohol, but with no time to think of a good question, she finally asked, "You and Peter aren't planning to rape me or anything... are you?"

Staring at the blonde with his eyebrows raised, Eddie paused before responding, "No... and why would you ask that?"

Only after seeing the reaction in his face did Camilla realize how silly that question sounded. "Sorry... that was a stupid question... I guess I just had to ask because I'm a woman traveling alone with two men... But it's not like you'd tell me even if you did plan on doing it..."

"I guess you're right about that... but you know... we would also get fired... go to prison... and I'd never see my wife and daughter again... So there are reasons not to... sexually assault you."

"You're right," Camilla responded, nervously chuckling. "You have been very professional, so I have no reason for thinking you would do such a thing. I was just making sure."

"This is a business trip," Eddie assured, nodding his head at his new coworker. "It's not a porno."

"Yeah, sorry... I don't know what came over me. Let's just get back to work."

"Sounds good to me, but let me just assure you, if there is anything we can do to make you more comfortable, just let us know. It's our top priority not to cause any issues with you, or any of the women we will be meeting on this trip. That's actually one of the reasons we want you to handle most of the meetings with clients. "

"That sounds good," Camilla said, regaining her composure. "And thanks for not taking that the wrong way... Like I said, I'm sort of a mess right now."

"I understand Miss Camilla. Let's just get back to work." Then, with a smile, Eddie continued on, explaining the paper work where he left off. "So, in this contract, it has a clause that..."

***

When the three Moonlight employees arrived at their hotel, they stopped in the hallway of their floor to have a quick debriefing.

"Here are your company credit cards," Peter said, handing one to each of his coworkers. Then, as he pulled out two envelopes, he explained, "And these are cash stipends. That way, you can spend some money without the company feeling the need to audit every single penny. It's your money, so spend it however you want."

"Paid up front?" Camilla asked, raising her eyebrows as she opened the envelope.

"We're only a team of three, so we have the funds to pay some up front. You'll get the rest when we are done with the trip."

"Sounds good... Thanks."

"We have some time to get situated with our rooms before our initial agents' meeting tonight," Peter explained, looking back and forth between the two. "Eddie's room is right down the hall and mine is just a little further. Knock if you need anything."

"That's good that you got all of us separate rooms," the blonde said, chuckling to herself as a fond memory came to mind. "I remember one time, I messed up on a booking and I ended up having to share a room with Jane. That would have been awkward if you made that same mistake, right?"

Looking unamused, Peter just stared at her before responding, "I can't afford to make any mistakes... I'll see you downstairs in thirty."

"Umm... right..." Camilla replied, before awkwardly entering her room.

As her door was closing, the two men walked off. Once the coast was clear and they heard the door shut, Peter looked at Eddie and asked, "Anything?"

"Nope."

"I didn't think so."

"She did look in my bag though... I caught her, and she tried to play it off... but I know something had her attention."

"Do you know what she could have seen?"

"I think I do... but it shouldn't be an issue."

"Eddie... I can't afford to make any mistakes, and neither can you."

"Understood."

***

After tossing her luggage onto the bed, Camilla started talking to herself in frustration while taking off her shoes. I don't even know why I bother wearing heels. Nothing seems to impress those two. They don't even laugh at any of my jokes, and I'm so fucking funny!

As she plopped down next to her suitcase, she let out a deep sigh. I don't even know what I'm doing with my life at this point...

Suddenly, a vibration from her cell caught her attention, causing her to raise her head. As she looked at her phone, her eyes got big after realizing who was calling.

"Hello, Jane?" she said, getting up to her feet so she could pace back and forth. It was the first time she had spoken to her former boss, and the woman she used to love, since leaving Sunshine Industries.

"Hi Camilla! It's so nice to hear your voice again... How is everything?"

"Everything is... good... I'm just on a business trip with a couple of guys from Moonlight..."

"Oh nice! Sounds like you're important no matter where you go."

"Yeah, yeah... Same old, same old for me. Just working hard like always... But, um... did you have a specific reason for calling me?"

"I wanted to check up on you, but... I also have something else I want to talk to you about..."

Camilla could hear the concern in Jane's voice, which diverted her mind from her feelings, momentarily. "What is it?" she asked before sliding her down the wall until she was sitting on her butt.

"This is going to sound crazy, but... I was contacted by Sunshine's head lawyer... He had some questions about your departure..."

Shaking her head in confusion, Camilla furrowed her eyebrows before asking, "What?! What would he want to know about me?"

"It sounds like there has been some breeches in security, and someone has been taking screenshots of... inside information... We don't know if it's being sold to a competitor or what is being done with it, but the company has an ongoing investigation to figure out who the mole is..."

"Okay... but why would they ask about me?"

"I guess... they are just looking for any leads... And they brought up you not getting the position you wanted... because I got it... And then, with your sudden departure... they thought maybe..."

"Maybe I would sabotage the company" Camilla interrupted, looking offended. "After spending my entire life here?!"

"I thought it was a weird theory too... especially since you're still with Moonlight. Someone who pulls a stunt like that wouldn't go to a sister company, right?"

"Definitely not... That's just so strange that they would think it could be me..."

"I'm not saying they think it's you," Jane explained, trying to calm her former employee. "I'm just saying I was asked about you, so don't be surprised if someone contacts you."

Scratching her chin, Camilla responded by thinking out loud. "Now that you mention it... I noticed something weird today... One of the guys I work with... Eddie... I didn't mean to look into his bag, but while he was ruffling around in there, I noticed a criminal law book..."

"Eddie? That name sounds familiar, but he wasn't the attorney who contacted me today. Our head lawyer's name is Marco."

"He said he has his attorney's license, but never claimed to be a lawyer for the company... I wonder if that's the real reason I'm here... because they think I'm the mole..."

"I highly doubt that," Jane responded assuredly. "It sounds like it's been going on for a long time. I'm guessing they just want to explore all avenues."

Thinking back to Peter and Eddie's constant strange behavior, Camilla started to wonder what her real purpose for being there was. "This is really weird," she said, looking off into the distance. "I'll let you know if anything comes up."

"Try not to worry too much about it, Camilla. Like I said, I just wanted to make you aware."

"Thanks for letting me know."

"By the way... Camilla... how have you been... like, not work wise... but... you know... emotionally?"

As if the Latina didn't have enough on her mind, it felt like another weight had been thrown on her shoulders when her former love asked about her emotions. "I'm... good..." she responded, not knowing what else to say.

"You know... things aren't the same around here without you... We all really miss you..."

"Thanks... I miss you too," Camilla said, as her eyes began to water. Then, in a moment of weakness, she couldn't stop herself from asking, "How are things with Veronica? Are you two... still doing well?"

"Yeah... We're doing great... She and I are still very grateful that you went out of your way to get us back together."

With a fake laugh, Camilla replied, "Yeah, great... I was just making sure all my hard work didn't go to waste, you know?"

After an awkward laugh of her own, Jane responded, "Thanks again, Camilla..."

"Yeah... No problem..." the broken woman said, trying to hold herself together. "Well... I should get going now. We are heading out soon."

"Well, good luck tonight... It was great speaking to you again... And by the way, the offer still stands if you want to come back after your trip. I made special accommodations to keep a position available for you."

"I know... Thanks... Bye, Jane."

"Bye, Camilla."

As the blonde ended the call, she suddenly found herself with tears running down her cheeks. Despite her tough exterior, almost every moment, alone she was fighting the consequences of the actions she had taken at Sunshine Industries. And though she stood by them, it was proving much harder than she predicted to move on.

What the fuck is wrong with me? she asked herself, melting deeper into the floor. Why did I even ask about Veronica? Am I hoping something goes wrong so I can jump back into the picture?! That makes me a terrible human being...

Maybe I should have stayed... and actually fought for her... I know that's wrong of me... and she would have chosen Veronica eventually, anyway... but at least I'd still be around the one person who has moved my heart in the last five years... instead of being with these two weirdos...

As she began thinking about her new coworkers, her mind shifted to the other part of her conversation with Jane. And do they really want me... or do they think I'm the mole? It's ridiculous, but... why else would they act so strange around me... Even Eddie... I think he's just better at hiding his... weirdness... I know he has his attorney's license for business, but... why did he have a criminal law book? And why didn't he want me to see it?

With a groan, the blonde wiped her tears before whispering, "I don't even know what's going on anymore.... What's happening to my life? Maybe it was wrong of me to think I could venture out on my own..."

Camilla sat there, quietly sobbing to herself, until she heard a knock on the door. Instead of getting to her feet she crawled over and twisted the knob before plopping back down.

When it opened, she noticed Peter standing in the doorway, looking down at her with a confused expression. "Why are you on the floor?" he asked, quickly going back to his uncaring demeanor.

"I, uh... I guess I was just playing with fire..."

With a nod of the head, Peter asked, "Eddie is downstairs arranging our ride. Do you need a minute?"

"A minute would be great."

"We'll be in the lobby."

After hearing the door shut, Camilla started to make her way up to her feet. However, as she stood up, she realized her dress had rolled up and her underwear had probably been showing while speaking to Peter.

Going a bit red in the face, she pushed her dress back down before grabbing her work bag. Normally I can tell when something embarrassing like that happens, she thought to herself, before leaving the room. But now that I think about it, he never broke eye contact with me... I wonder if he even noticed...

Then, as she made her way towards the elevator, she pondered, I wonder if he notices anything about me... or is his mind too focused on figuring out if I'm the mole?

***

As the three Moonlight members entered the building, Camilla looked over towards Peter and asked, "Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just get a rental car? That way, we wouldn't have to take an Uber everywhere."

"We won't be traveling that much," he explained, never turning his head towards her. "Besides... I don't drive these days."

"Well... I could have driven..."

"There is plenty of money in the budget. I'm sure you're a good driver, but I just prefer taxis, Ubers, Lyfts... those sorts of things."

"Do you mind if I ask why?"

"Just a preference."

The three made it into the conference room, where several agents were mingling. There were a few models but they all understood their agents would be representing them for the day.

As Camilla took a seat next to the two men, curiosity started to get the best of her again. She knew if she couldn't get Peter to open up at all, there was no way she'd learn about the bigger issues that were going on in the company.

Whispering towards him, she asked, "Did you notice I had been crying when you came into my room?"

"I noticed you've been crying all day. That's why you wore sunglasses inside the airport... to hide your red eyes."

"Oh... so you do notice those things..."

"Are you wanting me to care?" Peter asked, now staring at her with his deep black eyes. "Would that help you with your tasks if you thought I cared?"

"No... I understand you don't care... about anyone but yourself... but I just figured... if you noticed that, did you also notice my underwear was showing earlier?"

After an awkward pause, Peter answered without changing his face. "I caught a glimpse, but I paid no attention. I figured with the state you were in, it was unintentional."

"That's nice of you to give me that respect," Camilla pointed out, a bit impressed that he noticed not only her emotional state but her mishap as well. "I guess you're just not one of those pervy guys."