All Comments on 'Chicken Soup for the Cheater's Soul'

by bruce1971

Sort by:
  • 66 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Can you get too much of a good thing!

5

WisquejacWisquejac7 months ago

Loved it. The bob ross line was great. Thanks.

Nasty56Nasty567 months ago

That’s a very humoristic one…maybe in the wrong category!

Bebop3Bebop37 months ago

Well, that was an odd, fun, well-written story.

GarySmith69GarySmith697 months ago

Well that is certainly a strange one, a woman has a god for a husband and gives him up for an Imp. I guess some people like bland and biege things.

ThatNewGuyThatNewGuy7 months ago

Hilarious. Loved the tone you maintained throughout the story. This was very well written and a lot of fun to read.

numbnutz49numbnutz497 months ago

Damn, I am even more boring than the accountant! How come I didn't wind up with a hot bimbo who just wanted dull and less than energetic sex. Need a special category for 'totally original stories'. They help crank up innovation in over-worked genres.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJ7 months ago

Interesting. Something different. Thanks

secretsalsecretsal7 months ago

Very nice change of pace, and you actually sold the wilfulness of Julie's 'trading down', along with her uncertainty at the end. Great touch of human nature that's missing in most of the stories here.

LitboyblueLitboyblue7 months ago

Very interesting. The opposite of I want the grass that is green over there, my grass is to green and want some weeds.

Regguy69Regguy697 months ago

Interesting, just goes to show you really can't please everyone, all the time. Caro must be one happy clam.

Thanks for sharing.

BBeinhartBBeinhart7 months ago

Interesting, weird and fun!

Legio_Patria_NostraLegio_Patria_Nostra7 months ago

A freakin' Masterpiece! An instant classic! Julie is the face of the modern, self-loathing, post-feminist 'womyn.' There's something strangely reminiscent of 'Death of A Salesman' in this story. Maybe the tone, the sadness, or perhaps the inevitability. Your ending was perfect-- She'd look at her husband's placid face and tell herself that she was happy with the Bob Ross she came home to every night. Most of the time, she even believed it.

-

Anyone wanting to write better needs to study this writer's style and technique. It flows well, and informs efficiently, yet is not overwritten. 5++++++/5

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

If this were true, it would prove all of the following generalisations...

Women are insane.

Women don't think logically.

It doesn't matter who you are and what you give them, if they get an idea in their head they'll go after it, regardless.

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu7 months ago

Gosh, I am absolutely flustered.

What was her problem?

Maybe she didn't really know what she wants.

Well, some good things are never meant for stupid people to have.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Original and well written. The emotional aspects being 180 degrees out of sync from the vast majority of stories in this category was refreshing, if somewhat odd. Thanks for you story.

amygdalaamygdala7 months ago

Truly an interesting tale, completely flipped the script on my perception.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Unique story, which is a winner here. Good characters and questions.

Wasn't crazy about it but like the job you did with it.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Stupid plot

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

The heart wants what the heat wants. Some people don't want to share their lives with a masterpiece. The only thing I begrudge here is that Julie could have given this a thought before marrying Ramon.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x7 months ago

This makes me think a bit of the stories where the husband is a gentle considerate lover, and the wife cheats because sometimes she "just wants to be taken." I often wonder, why doesn't she just tell her husband that? I guess this shows that eve that doesn't always work.

Corny1974Corny19747 months ago

Wow. How unusual and beautifully crafted.

LenardSpencerLenardSpencer7 months ago

A very nice story. I can easily relate, on a personal level. After being a "player" for a decade, I met "the one". I changed overnight, treating her with love and respect. Doing all the right things. Working hard but smart in my white collar job (NOT long hours). So naturally she has an affair with an absolute loser! Uneducated, poor job, unfit with no ambition. Oh, a druggy as well.

We broke up. She moved in with him: she paid most of the bills (according to her sisters), got into drugs, got pregnant. He ran for the hills with most of her money, leaving her a single, unmarried mother with a drug habit. Why do they do it?

Tomh1966Tomh19667 months ago

5 for being completely different and also well written!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Bob Ross could have been wild in bedroom. Interesting story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Pure BS

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc7 months ago

Pretty placid storyline but we see people do this in real life every day. 4.0*

Just_WordsJust_Words7 months ago

I couldn't believe she was so nuts, but that ending really paints a picture! Good job!

WhyjustwhyWhyjustwhy7 months ago

Definitely a different story. But can she be any dumber? A husband she had no complaint about but yet heart wants what it wants? None of it made sense with her, but maybe that's it. She needed and wanted something to complain about. In other words, a bitch.

miket0422miket04227 months ago

Kind of weird. Most definitely unique to the LW arena

Well written.

onlythelonelyloveonlythelonelylove7 months ago

I would have liked it more if she had indeed been happy with Harold. That would have been a good anti-trope. …

management91399management913997 months ago

Not sure if someone has hit on this in the comments yet but my take away is she couldn't stand to be with someone who was better than she was. Her ex husband's light was so bright instead of sharing the spotlight with him she had to find someone beneath her so people could look at them and wonder, "How did HE get her?"

So at the end of the end of the day, she's the fastest horse in the race but she's racing against rocking horses.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

What was she, a mushroom inside a dark closet? An odd story and not one that I particularly liked.

Frank66Frank667 months ago

Hardly know what to comment on, as this is the most original story I've ever read. Nothing to dislike, tho, so I must like it.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Sorry, but even with the author’s explanation, this is hard core dumb.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Interesting story: I would be interested in women's reaction to it.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

wow...completely different from anything I've read here. Couldn't say it was a "favorite," but it was well done and written! Good Job!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Different, we;; done.

buzzsawlennybuzzsawlenny7 months ago

I hope Carolyn sent her a thank you note

nixroxnixrox7 months ago

5 stars - I have read thousands of stories on this website and this is the very first one where a woman complains about perfect, mind blowing sex, with so many fantastic orgasms she can't think straight for days. There are millions of women out there who would give up their first born child, to have mind blowing, multi orgasmic sex every day for the rest of their lives.

Of all the idiotic things to complain about - this one wins the prize.

26thNC26thNC7 months ago

Surprisingly that was a good story. Harold wasn’t hitting on much physically, but the boy was potent enough to father four children, if given Julie’s history of cheating, they were his. I like these stories that turn the usual LW tropes upside down, as it’s most often the hunky Latin gym rat who takes the wife of the Bob Ross. This time the soulless cheater lost again.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

So she preferred McDonald's to Chateaubriand. Why not? It is what it is. Good for her for ending up with what she really wanted and valued, I guess. It reads like Everyone is better off with her or without her. She did her first husband a favor, as well as her second husband. Except hubby number two just might want to remember that the cheating whore he married became a cheating whore for no logical reason, just because she wanted what she wanted, regardless of her marriage vows and her common sense.

\

When the kids are grown and gone and hubby number two finds his wife watching BBC or Lesbian porn he might want to remember she cheated and whored on her first husband, for no logical reason. Maybe she grows tired of McDonald's, and wants to try some Tacos, or African sausage? Could be a cute sequel.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

They say, sometimes better is the enemy of good. Now try to translate that backwards to this story. It’s focked upwards from the inside. LOL

Was different, I liked it, Cheers

Captcha

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinion7 months ago

I liked it. It just goes to show you, be careful what you wish for. You might just get it.

ibuguseribuguser7 months ago

An original story. And 1* just for this :

"The heart needs to go and see an eye doctor"

AlluredAllured7 months ago

what a hoot of a story

SyzyguySyzyguy7 months ago

A neat story taking the unexpected, opposite, view to the usual LW ones. Thank you for posting it.

AnalogContinuumAnalogContinuum7 months ago

What a nice to flip to a tried and true story line.

I had a boss at a car dealership when I was young. His line was that every car was sellable no matter how weird because, "There's an ass for every seat. Not everyone wants a Ferrari."

So goes just about everything in life.

OOAAOOAA7 months ago

Strange to change Ramon for Harold... I don't get it... The "too much" stuff seems too unrealistic to me...

Moonbat74Moonbat747 months ago

Most peculiar, but interesting

DeanofMeanDeanofMean7 months ago

satire is interesting

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Bizarre,but a five star bizarre.

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Excellent storytelling. Bizarre story. 5 for the writing; 2 for the content. Decided to round up to 4 rather than down to 3 chiefly because the story is so unusual.

xMulexMule4 months ago

4*

Interesting twist on "the grass is always greener..." Sucks to have to convince yourself you're happy.

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

Okay. I've been struggling a bit with some of Bruce's stories, but keep reading because of the great, insightful job he did with the Fragile Male Ego story. I've come to the conclusion that Bruce is obviously a very intelligent guy, and just smarter than most of us readers, including me for sure, so I don't always get what he's trying to do with a story. But I'm convinced he is always trying to do something specific, and I'm just trying to figure it out. In this story, here's what I see. This woman ultimately did not like loosing control during sex with her husband. She had a strong need to feel more in control, but couldn't really explain it to anyone in those terms. That's why she picked the accountant, so she could control her life. That's why she cheated to get him, because she could not explain this to her husband, and she saw this as the only way to make it happen. Her husband was too much man for her, causing her to feel too out of control. Most of this was stated pretty clearly in the story. Her need to feel in control was greater than her need for great sex, and even for love. Wow, yeah, right? And on another level, this story is about the subconscious reasons people cheat. It may not make sense to an outside observer, but in their own internal subconscious world, fucked up as it may be, it makes some kind of sense to them. A lot of us do all kinds of things for subterranean reasons like this. How many of our decisions are really rational? A lot may be, but some are definitely not. Where do those decisions come from? Somewhere deeper inside than our conscious rational mind. Whoosh, this is gettin too deep for me here, I better quit! Maybe I should go find some really boring person to hang out with for a while, until I can settle down...

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft3 months ago

Hilarious trope reversal. 5*

TrainerOfBimbosTrainerOfBimbos2 months ago

Why do so many people seem to have a problem with this story? I don't get the rating at all - it's hysterical, especially the ending. I swear, LW readers have like zero sense of humor. Solid 5/5 from me.

cyendreycyendrey2 months ago

It is actually a brilliant story, but the reason I only fave it four stars is the MC. She is exactly as the author intended, an irony laden middle finger to all the stories about wives cheating while looking for mind blowing sex and a soul mate.

If you try to look at the MC as a person rather than a vehicle for the author’s message, then she is seriously damaged goods. She realuzes this at some level, or she wouldn’t have any “feelings” about her ex-husband and the woman that replaced her. She almost seems to be punishing herself.

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Sexually incompatible. It happens very often. It is not a matter of orgasms. It is a matter of personal fulfillment.

Ofcourse this woman had very serious psychological issues about her personality.

What is the problem with the commenters?

A_BierceA_Bierce2 months ago

a penchant for clothes that ran the spectrum from brown to beige

 

Perfect description of the co-respondent in a divorce that follows the overarching theme of the story: trope spelt backwards is ePort.

AllNigherAllNigher2 months ago

Ok, this was a weird one. I feel she didn't actually love Ramon. She was in lust with him, and he ticked all the right boxes, but didn't love him. Probably they should never have married. Divorce was letting the right thing, but she should have done that FIRST. That said, the whole "he's too good" didn't ring true but... Okay, say she's grasping for reasons to explain why she isn't happy with the on paper perfect person.

Probably the right outcome for both. She seemed mostly happy with her new life, so despite the slight longing that most people have for some what if, it probably was the right move for her and him.

Still, shouldn't have cheated.... Well written story and a bit of a different take on a loving wives story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

Quite creative. Clever. 5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

Should be rated higher. Unique plot. Decent writing. A win ultimately for both parties. Loved the part abiut the judge thinking she needs to see a psychiatrist. Or her mother's comments about "her heart". 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymous16 days ago

Weird. This one should give hope to all the 30 and 40 something’s still living in their mothers’ basements!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userbruce1971@bruce1971
January 2024 Update Happy New Year's, everyone! I recently received a comment stating that I'm a smart guy who's clearly trying to do something specific, but that the reader had no idea what my point was.  It bummed me out a little. Because, yes, my stories (hopefully!) hav...