Christmas in the County Ch. 01

Story Info
The Iron Crowbar works to save the Christmas concert.
13.8k words
4.79
7.7k
11

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/10/2023
Created 09/05/2020
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

(Author's note: This story immediately continues from 'Believer', Ch. 04.)

Part 1 - Prologue - Abuse of Judicial Power

Monday, December 16th. We sat in stunned silence, unable to believe what we had just heard. Some group of atheists had sued to stop the Christmas Charity Concert that was held on the grounds of University Hospital every year... and activist, far-Leftist Judge Harry R. Nance had upheld it, and enjoined University Hospital from having the concert.

My Angels were in my office with me. Tanya Perlman's eyes were sparkling... with anger. Cindy Ross looked solemn, and a bit inscrutable. Teresa Croyle's face had fallen upon hearing the news, and now her head was bowed as she attempted to hide her emotions... emotions even I could sense, and Cindy had already understood.

"Can that be appealed?" Tanya asked.

"Sure it can." I said. "But that'll take months. And I won't give odds on the chances of the rabidly Leftist Appellate Judge Leahy issuing a stay to allow the concert."

"Yeah." Teresa whispered, tears in her eyes as she looked up. "It's over."

"I didn't say that." I said, perhaps a bit strongly. "Oh, it's not over. Not by a longshot."

"What are you going to do?" Cindy asked.

"I don't know. Yet." I said. "But we are not going to take this lying down..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Paulina Patterson stormed down the back hallway between the Courtrooms and the offices and Judges Chambers.

"Judge Nance!" she yelled at the back of the judge as he walked with his aide down the hallway. When he stopped and turned around, she called out "How could you do that? What's wrong with a concert for charity?"

Nance's face became a mask of hatred... no, it was an unmasking of his hatred... as he all but shouted "Because it's a Christian concert! I'm sick and goddamned tired of fucking Christians thinking they can flout the law and the Constitution! You ever heard of 'Separation of Church and State'?"

Paulina said "There's no such thing. The First Amendment only prohibits Congress from passing laws that prevent the free exercise of religion. And----"

"YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT, BITCH!" Nance yelled, as people began peeking out of doors at the exchange in the hallway, some of them with working smartphones. "The Constitution protects the State from filthy Christians trying to force their dogma on everyone else! And I am going to enforce that, until Christianity is utterly destroyed!"

"But what about those kids?" Paulina tried. "They have cancer, and this is the highlight of their year---"

"I DON'T GIVE A GODDAMN SHIT ABOUT THEM!" Nance yelled, his face now truly contorted with pure hatred as he almost advanced upon Paulina. "THEY'RE JUST WORTHLESS DEPLORABLES! I DON'T CARE IF THEY DIE AND ROT IN HELL FOREVER!"

Nance finally caught his breath, then said more quietly and levelly "And if you say one more word about this, Patterson, I'll hold you in Contempt. You want to spend the rest of this filthy season in jail? Just say one more word!"

"Do it, then!" Paulina snarled. "Go ahead. Have me put in Commander Troy's jail."

Nance literally, physically recoiled from that. He jabbed his index finger just inches in front of Paulina's face and growled "You've been warned." He then turned sharply, and stalked off down the hallway, his aide having to rush to keep up...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10:00pm, Monday, December 16th. I went up to The Cabin, to feed Tiger Mom and the (now large) kittens. Molly had already put the boys to bed, and she brought out a Scotch for me and a Canadian whisky for herself. We sat together on the metal mesh loveseat in the cold.

The music of Mannheim Steamroller was playing on my iPhone. I had put up the wire Christmas tree on the deck, which could be seen from all over the Town in the valley below. The multicolored lights provided plenty of illumination for us, but I could still see the twinkling lights of the Town. It was beautiful... but it was overshadowed by the events of the day, which Molly brought up:

"I heard about that judge's ruling." said Molly. "It's just... pathetic. Using the Constitution to hurt little kids like that."

"Abusing the Constitution, if you ask me." I said. "But why do you think he did it to hurt those kids?"

"You didn't see the video that came out?" Molly said, very surprised. "What that judge said to Paulina?"

"No." I said. "Paulina told me she got into it with Nance, but someone got it on video?" Molly already had her iPhone out, and within seconds I was watching the 'philosophical exchange of values'.

"Good grief." I whispered, feeling the anger welling up inside me. I felt myself going into a a reverie, a deep one.

"It's getting cold out here." Molly said. "Even for a Canadian like me. Do you want me to bring you another drink before I go to bed?"

"No, no thanks." I said. "I'm... I'm going to sit out here for one more minute... try to figure this out. Do me a favor and turn off the outdoor tree lights." Molly and I kissed goodnight, then she got up and went inside, leaving me alone to watch over the Town. When the lights of the tree went off, I was able to see over the whole Town, and the stars above.

*Do you hear what I hear?*

I realized I was hearing the music of Mannheim Steamroller. And as I looked out, it began coming to me.

I could not let this happen. I could not let that evil man destroy the joy of this season, especially the hopes of those sick little kids. I had to do something, and I knew I could do something about it.

*Do you hear what I hear?*

The lights of the Town seemed to twinkle in a pattern in time with the music as it began coming together in my mind. The plan, the details, and the help I would need to make it happen... and not get in a lot of trouble over it.

When I blinked and came back, I was hearing 'Oh Holy Night' on the iPhone. And I realized I was getting cold. I looked at the time, and saw that I'd been sitting in place for an hour...

Part 2 - A Call To Action

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, December 17th, from the copse of trees with the Courthouse complex in her background. "There is outrage on all sides after a video of Judge Harry R. Nance and Prosecutor Paulina Patterson goes viral!"

Bettina began: "In a tense exchange yesterday, the two argued after Judge Nance's ruling that a Christmas concert on the grounds of University Hospital violated the Constitution's 'Separation of Church and State' Clause! Reaction on both sides has been strong. Roll tape."

Tape rolled. First was the the exchange between Nance and Patterson, which had been recorded on cell phones and quickly uploaded to YouTube. Molly and I were not the only viewers of it; over 900,000 people had watched it over the last 24 hours.

Second was a Press conference assembled by Dr. Lionel Carmela. Along with chanting students, many who wore black shirts with 'Black Voices Raised' in white, as well as red Antifa shirts, Carmela said "What Paulina Patterson said and did was an outrage! Judge Nance's ruling was correct and proper! Patterson should have been jailed for Contempt on the spot! We demand that D.A. Miriam Walters immediately fire Paulina Patterson!"

Third was ADA Franklin Washington, who said "Not only was Judge Nance's ruling wrong, but his ugly attitude and hateful words towards children stricken with cancer shows that he is not fit to be a Judge of the Superior Court!"

Back to Bettina live: "The group 'Citizens for Ethical Standards' said that ADA Washington's comments were a violation of ethics, especially for campaigning in a judicial election, and they demanded ADA Washington end his candidacy for Judge Nance's seat on the Bench. Dr. Carmela also issued a statement saying that ADA Washington's comments were unethical, and that D.A. Walters has, quote, 'lost control of her Office and her subordinates', close quote."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After introductions, Catrina Pierce of KFXU Fox University Sunrise said "And reaction to Judge Harry Nance's ugly comments, which went viral yesterday, is pouring in from all sides. He was roundly condemned by hundreds of Citizens, who found that him calling children stricken with cancer 'deplorables' to be particularly mean-spirited."

Meredith Peller said "And Fox Eight News has learned that Police K-9 Sergeant Bowser will be making a special appearance at the Cancer Center to give hope and comfort to the children there. Sergeant Bowser's owner, Commander Donald Troy, issued a statement saying 'It might be a very good idea if Judge Nance stays out of Bowser's way.'."

Catrina: "And a Crystal Clear Polling poll taken yesterday shows that 67% of respondents believe that Judge Nance's ruling was incorrect, that the Constitution does not completely prohibit religious ceremonies on State-owned grounds. And Dr. Clarence P. Chase, the Dean of the University Law School, said that that our competitor Bettina Wurtzburg was wrong when she claimed there was a Separation of Church and State 'clause' in the Constitution. Dr. Chase said that the First Amendment states only that Congress cannot establish an official religion for the United States, and if anything, the First Amendment Right of the Freedom of Religious Exercise is being suppressed by Judge Nance's 'wrong-minded' decree..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Cancer Kids and their families were somber as they were gathered into the big playroom at the Hospital. On the back walls were the huge photograph of Teresa Croyle and Carole, and the photo of the Iron Crowbar with the redoubtable Bowser, exhorting them to never give up and remind them that hope never dies. But that was apparently not how they were feeling at the moment.

"He called us 'deplorables'!" wailed one crying child. "He said we were worthless!"

"And now we can't sing in the concert!" sobbed another child.

Just then a voice boomed out from the doorway: "I do not care what that worthless old man said! You are worth more than him! But I will tell you this now: Bowser does not want anyone who has given up to pet him! Only those of you that don't give up, and keep hope alive will be permitted to pet my dog!"

Yes, it was me, Your Iron Crowbar, and spreading 'tough love' Christmas cheer. With me was the redoubtable Bowser, wearing his badge and Police bandana. I sat down on the floor as I made my speech, and Bowser sat in front of me, surveying the kids with practiced canine eyes.

And then Joy, the little girl who had refused to succumb to cancer and was now recovering, came up with a smile of joy. "I haven't given up, Bowser!" she said. She petted Bowser, then came over and hugged me.

Soon, one by one, the kids dried their tears and pronounced that they were keeping hope alive, and came up to pet Bowser. To no one's surprise, Bowser accepted skritchins from every child.

"I guess that means we have choir practice with Ms. Teresa today." one of them said.

"You better believe it." said Teresa Croyle, who had come with me and Bowser.

"But how are we going to overcome a judge telling us we can't have the concert?" one teen boy asked. "Won't you get in trouble, Mr. Crowbar?"

"Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." I said. "Isn't that right, Bowser."

"Arf!" Bowser replied. The collective spirit of the room shot through the roof at that. The redoubtable Bowser had spoken...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Paulina Patterson was ushered into D.A. Miriam Walters's office by Walters's new assistant. "Have a seat." Walters said as she pretended to peruse a legal document. Paulina sat down.

Walters sat back in her chair and affixed her beady black eyes onto Paulina. "Well! You've certainly stirred up a hornet's nest." When Paulina said nothing, not sure exactly what angle the D.A. was coming from, Miriam said "Not that I don't agree with what you said to Nance; I do. And what Nance said about those poor kids was one of the most despicable things I've ever heard."

Walters continued: "However... I have no idea why Nance didn't have you jailed for Contempt, but I won't look that gift horse in the mouth. And to that point, you are not to appear in Nance's Courtroom again unless I specifically tell you to, and you're not to speak to him again unless spoken to. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes." Paulina said simply.

"Good." said Walters. "The truth is, with Franklin Washington running for Nance's seat, and pushing the ethics edges by publicly going after Nance with both barrels, I can't afford to have you in jail. So stay clear of Nance." After a pause, she said "Okay, where are we on these Latino gangs infiltrating our County?"

"Nowhere, ma'am." Paulina said. "You told us not to talk to the TCPD about what your Investigators found, so nothing is happening. Your Investigators can't pursue any leads like the Police can."

Miriam's dark eyes flashed fire for a second, then she said "Hopefully that embargo on the Investigators's leads can be lifted soon. And another question----"

"Wait." said Paulina, interrupting. "What do you mean by 'the embargo can be lifted soon'? Why can't we talk to the Police about this now?"

"Because I said so." said Walters. "And for other reasons, which I'm not going to discuss here and now. Anyway, here's my question: do you think Detective Sergeant McGhillie is capable of running the TCPD Vice Unit?"

"He's young, but he's a very good cop." Paulina said. "And Lieutenant Mary Milton and Captain Perlman are right there with him, so he has the support he needs."

"I'm not so sure." said Miriam. "Oh, he's a good cop, and very brave... I remember what he did during the 'Night of the Cobra'." (Author's note: 'Moonlight Shadow', Ch. 01. ) "But bravery alone won't get it done. I have an idea that we're going to have increasing problems with gangs next year, and Vice is going to need some really good people in there... and really good ADAs on our end prosecuting them. And if Franklin wins the judicial seat, that will fall on you."

Paulina said "Sure, but the TCPD is more than capable of handling all that... especially with Commander Troy at the helm..." And then it hit her. "You... you don't think Commander Troy will be there?"

Miriam shrugged. "Let me answer that question with a question: what do you think of TCPD Vice being all-white?"

Paulina immediately replied: "Detective George Newman is black, and he was in Vice a long time, working with them as a Patrol Officer then a Detective. He was just promoted to MCD, just weeks ago, and he deserved that. The fact the DOJ won't take that into account shows they were predisposed to failing the TCPD, that they were looking for something to attack the TCPD with."

Miriam said "I'm surprised Commander Troy didn't see that far ahead, and keep Newman in Vice until the audit was over."

Paulina said: "Are you seriously suggesting Commander Troy would have, much less should have, held a black man back from a promotion just to appease a DOJ official who was going to rig the audit to get the result she wanted anyway? Really?"

Miriam replied "Newman could've been working with MCD, but the official paperwork delayed."

"That would've been even worse." Paulina said. "Do you really think Commander Troy s that dishonest? Or that he would disrespect Newman and the rest of his Officers like that?"

Miriam struggled to control her anger. "My point," she said with considerable exasperation in her voice, "is that for all his abilities, Commander Troy did not see that coming, and it bit him in the ass. And I'll tell you this: The DOJ is not so much after the TCPD, but Commander Troy personally. If he goes away, the TCPD's problems will magically go away. If not, they take the entire Police Force down, and he'll be gone anyway."

Paulina's eyes narrowed: "Do you know something the rest of us don't? Something we should be telling Commander Troy?"

"Nothing he doesn't know already." said Miriam, all but contradicting herself. "But I do believe the DOJ will win. And when they do... the gangs will see opportunities that have not been there the last seven years. And we have to be ready for that..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thanks for coming in." said Judge Patrick R. Folsom as I entered his Chambers, followed by my attorney Mike G. Todd, Sheriff Antonio Griswold, and Hospital Administrator Leonard R. Cordell. After we sat down, Judge Folsom said "I just wanted to update you on the situation. First of all, Leahy denied the emergency appeal, upholding Nance's ruling completely. Further appeals won't even be heard until next year, and no one will issue a stay of Nance's ruling."

Mike G. Todd said "I don't understand why it can't simply be taken out of Nance's Courtroom and given to Judge Watts... or yourself."

Folsom said "I'll be honest with you all. I think what Nance said was cruel, but his ruling is right: it's a Separation of Church and State issue."

"Then tell me this, Your Honor." I said. "I usually vote early, but if I voted on Election Day, my polling location... is the Catholic Church on College Street. Now why isn't that 'Separation of Church and State'? There really is no clause for Separation of Church and State, so Nance's ruling is crap."

"You make a nice point about the voting booths," said Judge Folsom, "but we're not here to litigate the issue. Anyway, that's the end if it: University Hospital's grounds are owned by the University, and a blatantly Christian concert cannot be held there. Why not move it to one of the churches?"

"Because of the Cancer Kids." said Dr. Cordell. "This concert is for them."

"And they can't be transported to the location of the concert?" asked Judge Folsom

"Not all of them." Dr. Cordell said. "But you said we weren't going to litigate it here, so I'll take you at your word." He stood up and said "Gentlemen." and walked out the door.

Judge Folsom said "Okay, another issue I need to inform you about, is the situation with Judge Watts and those bribery charges against him. I've refused to suspend him, and so has the State Supreme Court... for now. But they've asked the SBI-OER to look into the charges, which they can do."

"So they get to tear through his life just on the whim of a baseless charge against him?" Mike G. Todd asked.

"What if it's not baseless?" replied Judge Folsom. "But look, since there is no evidence, he's not suspended. But the charges have to be looked into."

"Really?" growled Sheriff Griswold. "If the Police just 'investigated' someone on a baseless whim without probable cause, they'd haul our asses in front of your Bench so fast it'd make our heads swim. What's the probable cause to investigate Judge Watts?"

"He's in one of the ultimate positions of public trust." replied Judge Folsom. "It's like your wife, Commander Troy. Because she's a doctor, they had to look into that issue with her."

"I don't agree with that, but let me ask this." I replied. "If nothing is found, if Judge Watts is exonerated, we can go after his accusers for criminal as well as civil slander and defamation? Like we intend to do to my wife's false accuser?"