Christmas in the County Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He can sue his accusers." said Folsom. "But you would have a much higher standard of intent to show in order to prosecute a criminal case. But we're getting away from what I need to tell you: if Watts tries to intervene and reverse Nance's ruling, that might be enough to get Watts suspended by the State Supreme Court until he's exonerated."

"Guilty until proved innocent." I muttered.

"Commander," said Folsom, his voice beginning to grow harsh, "we all know that concept applies only to the suspect's treatment while he's under investigation or trial. We wouldn't have a single case on the dockets if prosecutors had to presume innocence."

"We get it." said the Sheriff. "Crowbar, Judge Folsom here is just trying to keep Judge Watts out of trouble. If you'll excuse us, Your Honor, we have criminals to catch and haul before your Bench."

With that, the Sheriff pretty much pulled me out of there before I caused and got into trouble...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, not much we can do." said Mike G. Todd. "I'm hamstrung vis-a-vis the legal system."

We were sitting in the Sheriff's office in City Hall. Paulina Patterson had joined us, having texted me she needed to talk to me. She had told me and the Sheriff of her conversation with D.A. Walters while Mike had taken a potty break. Now he was back, and we were trying to figure out if there was anything we could do about Nance and the Christmas concert.

"Judge Folsom was pretty damn wishy-washy about the whole thing." said Sheriff Griswold. "Of course, he's never had a spine. He wants to be on the State Supreme Court, and that's all he thinks about when it's time to make a decision on something. Of course he's never figured out that it's the decision-makers that get the appointments."

"Truth is, Sheriff," I replied, "Folsom is left-of-center, but he's managed to let Nance do the Left's work for him." Paulina nodded vigorously in agreement, and I said "He agrees with Nance's ruling, but will let Nance take the flying bullets for it."

"Or he's letting Nance cut his own throat for Election Day." said Mike. "Helping us by stealth. Lose the concert now, but get a better judge later."

"I prefer to keep the concert -and- get the better judge later." I said. "So... what to do?"

"Okay, what about this." said the Sheriff. "First Baptist is the only church big enough to hold the Christmas concert. I guess I can contact Pastor Derkins about hosting it. But we don't have a lot of time."

"You know, Sheriff," I said, my voice sounding 'musing' as I was halfway in a reverie, "this concert really isn't about Christianity. It's about the Holiday season, albeit mostly Christmas, and it's about charity, and it's about these kids. Holding it in a church would all but tell the world that Nance is right."

"So what do you plan to do about it?" asked the Sheriff, his mustaches beginning to twitch, having seen the gleam in my gray eyes.

"Since Nance is making it political, I think we should, too." I replied. "I think we need...a First Amendment rally."

Part 3 - Preparation of the Objectives

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Wednesday, December 18th, from the top of the building at the corner of Riverside and College, with Courthouse Square in the background. "The Holiday season is being marred by political protests, some of which have turned violent!"

Bettina began: "A group of pro-Christian agitators marched along Elm Street on the north side of Courthouse Square yesterday. Some members of the group identified themselves at the 'State Right To Life Committee', led by SBI Chaplain Steven Ikea, while another group called themselves the 'Right of Religious Expression'."

Bettina: "The agitators were protesting Judge Harry Nance's lawful ruling shutting down the Christmas Charity Concert at University Hospital for being a religious exercise on State grounds. Elm Street is closed off to vehicle traffic, so Holiday traffic was not immediately impacted, but Police were called in when another group, which called themselves 'Citizens for Freedom FROM Religion', along with the 'Citizens for Secular Atheism', staged a peaceful counter-protest, and were attacked by the pro-Christian agitators."

Bettina: "Police arrived and separated the two groups, and Judge Harry Nance issued an injunction against the pro-Christian groups, stating that they had no right to protest on State roads or State property because they are Christian. He ordered the Police to arrest the agitators, but the Police disobeyed the Court Order and did not arrest any of them, though they did force them to disperse. Police also arrested several of the Atheist peaceful protesters, accusing them of having weapons. Judge Nance immediately ordered them freed and the charges dropped, and enjoined the Police from interfering with their peaceful protests. Commander Donald Troy did not respond to KXTC's repeated requests for comment."

Bettina: "In other news, the 'Citizens for Ethical Standards' held a rally on the east side of the Square, in front of the Courthouse, expressing outrage that Judge Rodney K. Watts has not been suspended after they lodged complaints that Judge Watts has taken bribes to make pro-Police decisions. They demanded that Senior Superior Court Judge Patrick R. Folsom suspend Judge Watts. In a statement, Judge Folsom's office said that he was on vacation for the rest of the year, and his office would have no comment on Judge Watts's situation until he returns."

Bettina: "A Spokesman for State Supreme Court Chief Justice Robert Johnson issued a statement saying that Judge Watts would not be suspended without much more probable cause than a complaint lodged by a single agenda-driven group, but that the SBI-OER would be doing a routine investigation of the allegations. The SBI-OER did not respond to KXTC's repeated requests for comment..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said Catrina Pierce at 8:00am. "I'm Catrina Pierce, and with me as always is Meredith Peller. Good morning, Meredith!"

"Good morning, Catrina. Good morning everyone!" said Meredith Peller. "Here's what's in the news this morning. A peaceful pro-Christian group calling itself 'Right of Religious Expression' joined with the State Right to Life Committee yesterday in peaceful protests against Judge Harry R. Nance's vicious ruling denying a concert for cancer stricken children on the grounds of University Hospital."

Catrina: "Their peaceful protest was marred by a group of violent agitators, some of whom identified themselves as 'Citizens For Freedom FROM Religion' as well as the 'Citizens for Secular Atheism' group that filed the original lawsuit against the Cancer Kids. These groups, many of whom were wearing red Antifa shirts and wielding weapons such as baseball bats, tire irons, and chains, attacked the peaceful pro-Christian groups. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, clearly showing the red-shirted thugs with weapons attacking the pro-Christian group, and the Christians fighting back... which made me wonder if some of them were among the many groups of pro-Christian motorcycle riders out there.

Meredith: "Police intervened to separate the two groups, and order was quickly restored. Police arrested several of the red-shirted agitators that attempted to assault the Police or go through them to attack the Christian groups. The Police did disperse both groups. Judge Harry R. Nance later dropped all charges against those that had been arrested, and ordered them freed."

Catrina: "And in other news, the group 'Citizens for Ethical Standards' protested outside the Courthouse yesterday, demanding that Judge Rodney K. Watts be suspended for allegations of bribery... allegations filed by the group 'Citizens for Ethical Standards'."

Meredith: "This is the same group that filed complaints against Dr. Laura Fredricson several months ago, complaints that were ultimately dismissed. The SBI-OER issued a statement in response to a request for comment by KFXU Fox Eight News, saying that the Citizens for Ethical Standards have provided no evidence to back up their allegations, but at the request of the State Supreme Court, the SBI is beginning a routine investigation..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Tanya Perlman, as she, Teresa Croyle, and I drank coffee and watched in my office. It was the Angels Meeting for the morning. "And you didn't go off on the protesters, Teresa?"

"Well," replied Teresa, "I was trying to set up DUI checkpoints on both ends of the street, but Rudistan and Hewitt wouldn't let me. Otherwise, I might've arrested dangerous drivers in wheelchairs at the scene."

I smiled; Teresa took Tanya's comment lightly, and returned 'friendly' fire. I said "That's all I need, for both of you to be in my jails during Christmas season."

"Someone flag the tapes." said Teresa. "Two newscasts, and two completely opposite spins on it. At least KFXU backed their story up with videotape."

"They sure did." I said. "But people are watching the newscasts that agree with their viewpoints, and I doubt they watch both like we do."

"Changing the subject," said Tanya, "what is going on with this thing about Judge Watts? Bribery? Really?"

Teresa added: "What bothers me is that someone can make a complaint with no evidence to back it up, and the SBI just opens an investigation. I think I'm beginning to be glad that Laura filed that lawsuit against them, the SBI."

"Yeah, but it was dismissed." Tanya said.

"But Laura's appealing that ruling, especially after the attack on Judge Watts." I said. "She was really incensed about it."

"It pisses me off, too." said Teresa. "It's like Democrats in Congress trying to subpoena a Republican President's tax returns... just a pure fishing expedition with no basis but pure political hatred. Is that what this is with Judge Watts? And can they do that to any of us, especially Todd and his businesses?"

I said "They can't do it to Todd, and he can fight them in Court. But unfortunately, for public officials it's not so cut-and-dried. Federal law specifically forbids forced release of Federal tax returns, but yes, the SBI can investigate Judge Watts, at least to a point. And remember how the Feds tried to get our records in a fishing expedition for the USDOJ's Civil Rights Division inquisition."

"Can Judge Watts fight that?" asked Teresa. "Can he fight any probing of his financial records?"

"Yeah, sure." I said. "And then you have Bettina and Penis Holder right there, yelling 'what does he have to hide?' and basically calling him guilty if he exercises his Constitutional rights."

"And then the optics get bad for Judge Watts as a sitting judge." said Tanya. "Also, and just to make the argument, what if he really is guilty of something? I know Laura was innocent of the complaints against her, but what if a doctor really was committing malpractice?"

"There still should be a requirement for evidence first." I said. "In that respect I totally agree with Laura's anger, and I always remember Peter Dwayne Gordon in discussions of this nature." (Author's note: 'Falsely Accused'.)

"So, practically speaking," Tanya said, "what is the reason behind the attacks on Judge Watts? Because he generally is Conservative and pro-Police in his rulings?"

"There's got to be more to it." I said. "But speaking of no evidence... or in this case no data..."

Just then, there was a knock on the door, and it opened to reveal Our Sheriff. Seeing as he was one of only four persons in the world that could just come on into my office like he did, I only said hello as he came in and sat down in the hot chair nearest the door.

"Uh, there's coffee right there, Sheriff." I said, gesturing towards the coffeepot.

"I've had some already." growled Griswold. "If I have much more, my blood pressure might go up even more than it has after watching that crap Bettina calls 'news'. So let's not talk about that. Crowbar, did you talk to these two Angels of yours yet?"

"Not yet, sir." I said. "Ladies, what he's talking about is some potential changes he and I discussed. Let me ask you... how is Sergeant McGhillie doing in Vice?"

Tanya nodded, as if in understanding. "I think I see where you're going with this. And my answer is that he's a decent Detective, a good Sergeant and leader of others... but he doesn't have that 'insider knowledge', like Lieutenant Mary Milton had of the Punk world and the drugs flowing through there."

The Sheriff asked "Captain Perlman, do you see gangs as an increasing problem for us?"

"Increasing? Uh, no sir." replied Tanya. "Ever present, sure. But we haven't noticed any particular rise in gang activity."

Teresa said "Sheriff, Commander, I haven't seen nor heard anything from the Uniformed guys, either. We aren't the Chicago Southside. Sure there's product coming in, and the University is a big market. But what T-Square doesn't control isn't big time."

I said "And if T-Square got out of the Game, like Cerone and Molinari got out of the Mob?"

Teresa and Tanya nodded, and Tanya said: "That might change the Game a little bit. but T-Square hasn't been the major mover of product in this County for a while. He's out already, if the rumors I've heard are to be believed. He pretty much handed the drug operations to his boy T-Mac, which is why you don't see T-Mac and Gloria hang out with T-Square much anymore."

Tanya continued: "Most of the product into this area came through the Marcie Harper pipeline. When you and Carole obliterated that, we thought there'd be a huge rush to fill the void, and maybe some gang warfare out of that. But there wasn't. The supply is down... just 10% of what Marcie was shipping... and the prices are up as a result."

"Funny thing, that." growled the Sheriff. "When Crowbar found out Malone was controlling drugs into the County by controlling one gang and taking out all the others, we thought a lot of gangs would move in for a piece of the action. And then when Westboro bit down on that cyanide capsule, I thought with his influence gone, someone would take advantage. But it didn't happen then, either."

I said "And the Blassingame smuggling operation... they were prime to take over after Marcie Harper went down. And then they got taken down. So who are the Prime Movers today?"

Tanya said "We have three candidates: T-Mac, The Teacher, and Jacquez Wilson, who is a new up-and-comer in the Southwestern Ghetto. T-Mac sells in the clubs and to the Fraternities. We think the Kappa Fraternity is the major on-Campus distributor. And The Teacher takes his 10% commission to arrange a flow to others, maybe to Jacquez or to Hispanic gangs that are trying to gain a foothold. But it's all small ball. In fact, Dwight Stevens of the DEA says he can't believe how small the traffic into here is."

"And why is that?" asked the Sheriff. "I mean, why is the traffic so small?"

"Oh I get it." said Teresa. "Because of the Iron Crowbar."

"Exactly." said the Sheriff. "Malone let one gang work and shut down the others. The Iron Crowbar don't play favorites; he just shuts it all down, and nobody's got the guts to challenge him."

"So if Don were not here, for any reason," Teresa said, "you think the gangs would try to move in?"

"It's not my theory," said the Sheriff, "but it makes sense. And to that end, we need to up our game in Vice. As you said, McGhillie's a good cop, a great cop... but does he know the ins-and-outs of the gangs?"

"Ultimately," said Tanya, "no sir."

"And who taught you all that information about the gangs, Lady Ironside?" I asked.

"Mary Milton gave me most of it." said Tanya. "But a lot of the inner workings was taught to me by... ohhhhhhh..."

I nodded. "You're gettin' it." I said...

Part 4 - Attack and Counterattack

Wednesday, December 18th. I put the first step of my plan into action: I knocked politely on the door to Cindy's office, and was granted permission to enter.

Don't let the façade fool you: the professional relationship between myself and the Green Crowbar was still very strained. Although we kept things cool in our personal lives for the sake of our families, things at work were formal at best. The Command Group coffee klatches weren't happening, especially with the Sheriff rotating around. And except for Cindy wanting to go with me to see the Betty Morelli crime scene, we'd not had any discussions about the cases.

As I approached her desk, Cindy looked up at me. "What is it?" she asked.

"I thought I'd give you first shot to sign this." I said. "Being that you're a natural-born American Citizen, and all." I handed her a document.

"Hmmm, a contract agreement for you to rent Courthouse Square on Christmas Eve, for a 'First Amendment Support Rally'. And for one dollar per day on the rent." Cindy read. "Heckuva rate you're giving yourself, there."

"The lowest legal amount, and to keep it tidy." I said." Cindy nodded and signed the contract. As a member of the Police Command Group, she was a Principal for the County and could enter into legal and binding contracts on behalf of the County.

"Get that to the County Clerk's Office right away." Cindy said. "Before whoever our mole is lets Nance know."

"Roger that." I said. "Thanks." I took the document and left.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa came with me, and we drove to City Hall. The Intendent Adele Peabody met us there, and led us to the County Clerk's Office, where Adele shepherded the document through the process. I paid my $1 in the form of a personal check, got my receipts and paperwork, and we took Adele to an early lunch at Laura's favorite Soup & Salad place. They had a good brunch there.

"Congratulations on your recent promotion, Commander Croyle." said Adele Peabody. "Very well deserved."

"Thank you." said Teresa politely. "And you can call me Teresa."

"And you call me Adele." said Adele. "So no offense intended, Don, but how freely can I speak in front of... others?"

"Others? Not at all." I said. "But Teresa? Completely freely. There is no one in this world, literally, that I trust more than Teresa Croyle, and you can trust her just as completely as you trust me." Teresa's face betrayed her stunned surprise at the magnitude of what I had just said.

"That is high praise, indeed." Adele said, and I couldn't tell if she was a wee bit miffed at that.

"And Teresa," I said to her, "you are sitting with the most powerful person in this County... and it ain't me. I hope you two will become good friends, especially for the day that I might not be here to help either of you."

"Always good to have friends in high places." Teresa said with what was for her a smile.

"Yes, very true." said Adele. "Okay, then... if Harry Nance gets wind of this and tries to stop it, I'll make sure the paperwork gets lost."

I said "I doubt anything can be done until the actual event starts. So if any of Nance's paperwork just happens to not get filed on the 24th, but waits until the 26th..."

The Intendent nodded in understanding. "I'll take care of it. So, Teresa, will you be participating with the kids?"

"I'll have a... small role in it." said Teresa. "Mostly to herd the cats." I didn't say anything. I just pretended to be an Agency of the Weak-Minded...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wow." said Teresa as we got into my Police SUV and began driving into Town. "You really trust me more than your wife?"

"I love my wife more than anything." I said. "But when it comes down to it... yeah, I trust you even more."

"And Carole, too?" Teresa asked, perhaps humorously.

"Ohhhh, one day I might trust her more." I said. "Maybe from the day I hand her the red crowbar for good. But right now, she's a six-year-old prone to not keeping her big mouth shut." Teresa chuckled, and nodded.