Christmas in the Outback

Story Info
Dashing through the bush, in a rusty ute.
9k words
4.67
12.3k
6
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
shakna
shakna
1,840 Followers

The wheels of the ute thundered across the dirt tracks, kicking out a giant cloud of dust behind from the sunbaked landscape. Bushes and trees flashed by on either side, with no sign of civilisation besides the rusty vehicle.

There was a dog on the back, with a deep brown coat. The kelpie had two paws on an eskie, as it howled along to the music blasting out of the cab. The owner wasn't much more in tune, as he sang along happily.

The man was dressed in the traditional outfit of single and shorts. He'd kicked his thongs off to make it easier to work the car's pedals, but he was the perfect image of a lax bush bloke.

The sun was scorching down, with all the violence of a traditional Australian summer. At least on that front there was no smoke in the air. The usual bushfires hadn't erupted yet, at least not in this part of the country. Others were charring black.

"Christmas in Australia, on a scorching summer's day!" He warbled out of tune, nodding and tapping one of his hands on the leather steering wheel.

The scorching sun didn't seem to drain either of them, as the kelpie howled in time with the traditional music. Its voice was a sort of whimsical cacophony that rolled around the untamed landscape.

As excited and free as the dog, the owner was just as much. His eye had a sparkle and gleam that only comes from being truly free. The man was unconcerned by the tracks, knowing them well. His tires were the ones that had dug down this path through the bush.

"Oh what fun it is to ride in a rusty Holden ute!"

The man's rough voice resonated against the backdrop of the rugged landscape. He sang with a sense of joy and freedom that seemed to transcend the scorching heat and dusty tracks. This was his home, his sanctuary, and he couldn't imagine a more perfect way to spend Christmas than on the open road, embracing the untamed spirit of Australia.

His face momentarily dropped to concern as he saw the gauge on the ute's dashboard starting to rise. The engine overheating, as it so often did. He might love the rust bucket, but he also hated the thing.

Distracted as he was, he very nearly missed the sudden thunder of the bounding packs of muscle. The ute's brakes squeaked and squealed as it tried to jerk to a stop as a mob of kangaroos came floating and crashing across the dirt.

Their enormous feet carried them like they were mice skittering around and not heavyweights that could snap you in two as much as look at you. Their heavy and stiff tail came dancing behind, rising and falling stiffly, like it was a stick on an anchor.

The red dust came in the mob's wake, and blocked out the now-still ute's windscreen. The kelpie stopped singing with a quiet whine as it was coated.

"Easy, mate. Won't be a moment." He said calmly to the dog, and checked the glovebox for a treat.

He waited until the dust had blown on by, and then tossed the piece of beef jerky backwards. He heard the snap as the dog snagged it out of the air excitedly.

However, the man didn't immediately start the car up again. He was looking just ahead, to where a stubborn eucalyptus tree was ripping it's way up in the landscape.

In the shade of the tree, there was something that really didn't belong.

The man rolled his ute forward slowly, bumping uncomfortably up and down on the uneven landscape, before leaning onto his window sill. "What's up, mate? You okay?"

The woman stopped trying to shake the dust out of her head for a moment, and split her heavily freckled face in two with a gigantic grin. "Bloody hell! Day for it, innit?"

"Right about that. It ain't safe to go without a car." He said with concern. "How you been?"

She shrugged, going back to dusting her head, "Yeah, was a fucking dumb idea. I'm from over in Birdsville. Thought I might be able to make it by Munga-Thirri. You know, waterfall at Christmas. That kinda shit."

"Well, it's a damn sight further on." The man replied, "Tell ya what, why don't you climb aboard? I'm stopping by a farm about two hour's east of here. You could probably spend the night there too, if you'd like."

She grinned and lithely leapt onto the back of the ute and tapped the roof, "Onward we go! And aren't you the cutest thing!?"

He laughed at her patting his dog, "Aunt Dolly named him, but he don't like it. Just call him 'dog'. And... Mind climbing in the cab? Ain't having you bucked off the back."

She laughed, and swung through the window and into the seat. "Figured. But ain't no way we were leaving without me patting Dog. He's a right cute bastard, ain't he?"

"Name's Clancy. What's yours, lass?" He said as the ute pulled away again.

"Quandong?" She asked, offering him a small handheld container of tiny and bright red fruit. "Me Pa called me Susanna, but most people call me Ginger. Old nickname, don't really remember where it came from."

"Nah, I find 'em too sour." Clancy shook his head. "Ta, though."

She leaned her head out of the window, grinning into the wind. Probably nice to escape the heat of walking through the desert on foot. He had no idea how she'd made it as far as she had, without a car.

The locals could, of course. But the locals weren't dumb Westerners who didn't carry so much as a bottle of water. The desert was an absolutely unforgiving sort of place for the unprepared.

"There's an esky in the tray, if you get thirsty." He said.

She turned around and took the opportunity to pat the dog again, before grabbing a bottle of water out of the ice. Clancy took note that she'd ignored the beer and soft drink. Maybe there was a brain in this one, afterall.

"Did you have anything planned for Christmas?"

She sipped at the cold water, giving off a big satisfied sigh, and sinking down into the hot leather seat. "Nah. Most of me family is over in Queensland. Couldn't afford it, this year. So just me and the waterfall. Kinda sucks."

"I'm on my way to my family." He said sympathetically, "And careful. If you drop that bombshell with me mum, she'll make damn sure you stay for the whole Christmas. Gal does a fantastic four course meal for the day, and... The rest of us kind of compete on presents."

Ginger glanced at him curiously, "Were that you telling me to make sure I don't stay? Or inviting me? Sorry, can't tell. Either is fine."

"Mostly inviting." He chuckled, "We're pretty open as a family. The old station has a guesthouse for the backpackers and everything. Not that there is that many, this time of year."

"Yeah, you'd have to be a right tosser to think you can squirm around in the desert, this time of year." She laughed.

"Mum'll probably insist you stay the night. Don't have to, but you'd be more than welcome."

Ginger nodded, "Well, considering the suckiness of my Christmas, I might just pinch yours. If you're offering."

"Absolutely."

She brightened again, shining like a star with that smile of hers. "Ya know, if it's a couple hours away, we should play a game."

"Eye spy gets old fast."

"More thinking Christmas shit." She shook her head, "Gotta play 'Windmill', 'course. But how about a bush ballad? What's your favourite Christmas carol?"

He laughed, "Your ears may bleed, but I love to sing."

---

The farmhouse reared up out of the landscape fairly suddenly, at the end of a very long track - but that one was stone instead of mud and hope.

Ginger gave a giggle as they approached, "I-i-i a-a-m a r-r-ro-bot!"

He rolled his eyes at her use the thundering vibrations, and pulled the ute around in front of the house. Before he had even switched it off, there were two dogs scrabbling at the door, trying to lick him through the open window.

He nodded to Ginger, "This is Bob and Red. Mum's dogs. She's mad about them, but as excited as they are, just tell 'em 'down' and they'll drop."

Clancy hoped out and moved around the back, letting the overexcited Dog off their own lead. They immediately jumped down, and all three dogs went sniffing around at each other.

Ginger yawned and stretched, "Wish I could talk with me smell. It'd make me stink worth it. And I really do."

"You're fine." Clancy waved the comment aside, and walked to the edge of the house, and looked over the short fence at the swimming tool, "Hey Ma! I'm here!"

"Clancy's home!"

"Brought a guest too, if that's alright." He waved Ginger over.

His sister swam to the edge of the pool, looking up at them, "Oh! You must be Clancy's girlfriend. He never does tell us anything. Give me a minute, and I'll prep you a room, and some dinner."

Ginger leaned onto the fence, "Huh? Nah. I ain't with anybody much... Uh... He actually found me on the road. As awful as that be sounding."

His mother, who walked around the edge of the pool, crossed her arms beneath her bikini top, "Clancy! You really should have called ahead. I don't know if I've got a spare blanket, I just hung out the washing."

His sister rolled her eyes, "You're a random pickup? Don't worry about it. We get all sorts of folks coming through here. Dad used to set up one of the local tribes with a campfire, once or twice a year."

Clancy waved a hand, "Ginger, this is my sister, Kringle. She's pretty fair in most things, but she can get too much. Very talkative. You're fine to tell her to bugger off."

"Bugger off, Clancy. Talking to my new friend." Kringle retorted.

"And my mother, Kylie."

The older woman smiled brightly, "Well, come on, you lot. No standing around. Come relax, whilst I get the two of you some dinner ready."

Clancy jumped over the fence lightly, and turned around, holding out his hands to Ginger. She grinned, and used one hand to lightly vault the fence. She put both her hands up in a gymnast pose as she landed.

Kringle clapped from the pool, "Nicely done."

"Absolutely." Ginger grinned, "Good thing I didnae faceplant it. That might have been a bit hard to keep your respect."

Clancy headed over and sat on one of the seats by the edge of the pool, and waved a hand at the other people present. There were nearly a dozen of them, all together. Most of them were his cousins or more distant.

His brother was busy trying to impress some of them, whilst sipping at a beer. Too busy to notice Clancy's arrival, which was fine by him.

Ginger dropped cross-legged by the pool, and she and Kringle were almost instantly giggling and chatting. He was sure he was the butt of some of their jokes, but it was nice to see the stranger fitting in so easily.

His concerns about her by herself, in the desert... He couldn't reconcile it. Her doing that had been beyond stupid, but she didn't seem a stupid woman. Nor did she seem suicidal. She was down about not seeing her family, but she was bright and seemed to find life a wonderful sort of thing.

"Beer?"

He looked up and took it gratefully, "Thanks, Pop."

His grandfather grunted an acknowledgement, and then turned and stood beside him with crossed arms. "Where'd you find that one?"

"Under a tree, out on the main drag. She was walking to the falls."

"Bloody hell."

Clancy shrugged, "Dunno. She's... A bright one."

"Certainly getting on with Kringle." The man gave a non-committal shrug.

He leaned back into his seat and sipped at the cold drink. "It's a scorcher, today. She's lucky you found her. And gets a Christmas out of it, to boot."

"She's certainly a character. Should get on with most of the family." Clancy replied.

His grandpa turned an eye onto him, "If you don't do a thing about that one, then you're as blind as a welders dog."

"Hey?"

"She's beautiful, and you're both young and stupid." The man growled with a roll of his eyes.

Clancy shrugged, "I didn't go looking for a date, Pop. Pretty sure women get sick of every man with more muscle than brain hitting on 'em. 'sides, she might be into women."

"You reckon Kringle has a chance?" The man raised an eyebrow, and frowned, "You know... She just might. That'd be a saving grace."

"What dya mean?"

His grandpa sighed heavily, "Kringle's boyfriend dumped her about a month back. Girl's all on her own, and feeling it. Off in Melbourne, all by herself. None of us around."

"Ginger lives in Birdsville. A long distance relationship might be too much."

The man chuckled, "There's always some holiday fun. Your mum is prepping the guesthouse. Nice and private."

"Christ, Pop." Clancy complained.

"You'll come over all romantic when you get old, too."

---

When their dinner came out, most of the others were starting to drift away to their caravans and tents. Preparing for an early morning wake up for Christmas day.

Ginger wandered over and sat on the concrete beside his chair. He went to move for her, but she waved him off.

Somewhere nearby Clancy could hear his grandpa snoring. He started in on the roast chicken, "Should have asked. Are you a vegan or gluten-free or anything?"

"Techni'lly I'm not supposed to have chocolate. Gives me the shits. But fuck if I'm giving that up." Ginger shook her head, starting in on her dinner, "Heard some more about your present competition from Kingley, but I didn't spy no gifts in the back of your ute."

Clancy shrugged, "Mailed 'em. Just in case I couldn't make it in time. There'll be stacked in my bedroom. Why? No one is going to expect anything from you. I mean, you could steal one or two of mine if it makes you nervous."

"Yeah, gonna be awkward." She agreed quietly, "Kinda wish I had the time. I really love doing paintings for my family. But it takes weeks to get it just right."

"Painter." He said in surprise, "Well, Kringle would love that. She managed to get two on display in the museum at Birdsville. People assume her name is a pseudonym, which bugs her."

Ginger nodded, "Mmm. She told me... You're... A luck guy, Clancy. Your family seems to be the sweetest people. Just about all of them have come and introduced themselves."

"Oh geeze. Keep some distance from my brother. He's a heartbreaker."

She gave a small laugh, "About half of 'em wanted to set me up with you. I mean... I did arrive with you. So it makes sense if they assume. But... Stuff like offering excuses to get us alone together. Your favourite music. Food. Shit like that."

"Thoroughly embarrassed, here." He sighed, "You're not alone, though. Pop wanted me to ask you out. Or Kringle."

Ginger blinked, "Kringley is gay?"

"Bi. She trots both ways." He shrugged, "Took mum a damn long time to accept that, too. So don't push too much on it. The others... Most of the family are romantics. Pain in the ass, if you ask me."

"I'll... Let Kringley down easy." Ginger sighed, "I'm really not. So I won't bring any awkward with ya mum. Though, to be frank, the best lookin' guy here is totally you."

He choked on his chicken.

She grinned at him cheekily, and he rolled his eyes. Deciding to ignore that particular comment. "You probably want to check out your room after dinner. Isn't as easy to find in the dark, and there's no lights round these parts."

"I love it!" She said excitedly, pointing up, "Not even sunset, and I can see the actual stars! This place is a piece of paradise. Hard, probably, but still paradise."

"The sands can take 'em out. You don't always see it... But I do miss it." He replied nostalgically.

"Sunset."

He looked over as Ginger sprung to her feet. She put one hand on her hip, and glared down at him with the most serious look he'd ever seen cross her face. The woman nodded again firmly, "Sunset."

"Sunset? You'll see it great, here." He said uncertainly.

She shook her head, "At sunset, I want you on my doorstep. Or it'll be the last time you ever see me."

Without waiting for his reply, she spun on her heel and walked off. Not exactly in the right direction, but his family would help her find it. Half of them would probably have been listening.

Clancy leaned back into his seat, chewing his dinner slowly and thoughtfully.

The world was always full of surprises.

---

The red sands stretched away in every direction. The bushes lying in sprouting determination were little more than black shadows. Vibrant and shaking hues of orange and pink picked out swathes of colours dancing across the ground.

The sky was a violent twisting mess of pink, purple and golden strands, as the sun pulled down towards the horizon.

Dog panted nearby as his paws gently patted across the ground, feeling like a living shadow somewhere in the background. A piece of a living landscape, that was drinking in all the life.

There was still laughter in the background, and the clinking of glass. His family knew how to party, and the darkening landscape wouldn't do much to deter that. Counting the hangovers in the morning was always entertaining.

The temperature dropped faster than the sun. From the sweating edge of hot, down to the verge of shivering. There was a vastness to the landscape, an endless roll in every direction.

Looming up out of it, was a small little shack. A place which barely fit the two beds and tiny fridge shoved inside of it. The paint of the walls was pitted and peeling, but somehow didn't feel too old.

The front porch light was on. A little orange thing which was buzzing with a cloud of black insects, all determined to grab a piece of the artificial sun for themselves.

Clancy argued to himself as he moved across the landscape, towards that light. Drawn in, just like any other insect. He tried to tell himself that he was just going to check in on her.

He was going to make sure she didn't feel the need to flee. That she could enjoy Christmas day with his loud family, with no expectations whatsoever. After, she could go on her way to the waterfall, or head back to the city.

He knew he was lying to himself.

He arrived on her doorstep before he'd convinced himself. He was knocking gently on the door, and almost hoping that she wouldn't answer.

The door pulled open, and he found himself looking down at her freckled face in the orange light. There was no smile there, just a questioning seriousness. A determination.

Clancy hesitated, the words dying on his tongue.

She raised an eyebrow suspiciously, and rolled her jaw from one side to the other, "You didn't think it would be that easy, did you?"

"No." He said quickly and raised his hands, "No... I... I was just... Uh..."

Ginger smiled slowly, "You were just going to ask me to stay, weren't you? Screw the romance. You obviously want it, but ya want me to have a Christmas, more."

"Yeah..."

She perked right up, and lifted up on her tippy toes, planting a kiss on his cheek. She lingered for a moment before dropping back.

Ginger grinned and put a hand in the centre of his chest, "Wasn't testing... But ya passed anyways. You know what? You could come inside. We could... Make things clearer."

He really wanted to. His heart was in his throat, and his palms were sweating in a way that he was hoping she wouldn't hold his hands.

Clancy took a half step backwards, "Better you get some rest. Tomorrow is going to be a big day. Try and rest and unwind, before the big party."

"That's... Mature." Ginger said with disappointment.

He coughed nervously, "I need the time to sort my own thing for you, anyways. Rest of the family probably will, too."

"Waking up beside you would be the best present." Ginger said, without much hope.

"Waking up beside you, every day for the next year, would be better." He said carefully, and rubbed the back of his head, "I mean... Uh..."

Ginger shook her head with a smile, "Not risking breaking it. Yeah, I get ya. You're a real man, Clancy. Braver than most. I'll see you in the morning."

With that, she leaned up and kissed his other cheek.

Before he could say or do anything else, she bent down to pat Dog goodnight, and then he found himself stumbling back over the sands. Kicking himself for not quite getting things right.

shakna
shakna
1,840 Followers