Cinderella's Wife

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, yes," the queen tutted distractedly, "Well, they are not truly married."

"B-but I remember the announcements-"

"Of course, that's what we led the people to believe. However, the truth is my children's...appetites tend in more familiar directions."

Cinderella's eyebrows knit together, "I beg your pardon?"

The queen huffed and took a long pull from her teacup before leaning toward Cinderella and speaking in earnest. "Vincent isn't married to Olivette, he's married to Henrique."

"I-if that's true, then how- how can I marry him?" Cinderella's head began to spin.

"You won't, dear. Oh, in public you'll appear as husband and wife. It will be announced around the kingdom and to our allies that Prince Henrique has married Cinderella the beautiful commoner. But you will really be married to Olivette."

All the breath rushed out of Cinderella's lungs and she fell forward onto the table with a clanking of cutlery. At that moment, several other family members arrived, including Henrique, Vincent, and Olivette.

"Mother! What happened?" Henrique rushed forward to help Cinderella off the table.

The queen blushed, but held a firm gaze, "I simply explained a few things to her."

Olivette looked furious, "Mother! I thought we'd agreed to wait until she'd settled in a bit!" She knelt next to the faint blonde and fanned her face with a napkin.

"She might as well know now. I don't understand what the hysterics are all about." Her majesty took another drink of tea and stirred her porridge.

Henrique rolled his eyes, "It's a lot to take in, Mother. A new home and then suddenly to find the one who brought you here is giving you to another? You must see that." The two siblings managed to revive the pale young woman and righted her in her seat. Vincent gave her her teacup and they all sat at the table. Cinderella couldn't look at the family. Her cheeks had blushed a pretty pink and her voice was lost to shock.

The morning meal progressed in relative silence until the king arrived and he made the atmosphere much more jovial. "Why are you all such monks?!" he cried. "We have a wedding this week! Let's celebrate!" He chuckled and winked as Cinderella blushed crimson and Henrique looked pained. Olivette appeared solemn and thoughtful whenever Cinderella dared to steal a glance, which wasn't often. Only Vincent seemed to join in the king's joy.

"I won't force you, you know." The quiet voice followed Cinderella up the stairs as she made her way back to her room after breakfast. She turned to see a dejected Olivette following her.

"What?"

"I won't force you to marry me. If you'd really rather remain a servant, you can choose to. Though I imagine Mother will insist on you staying here to serve. We can't let those who know our secret go. It must remain within these walls." The princess paused as she came even with Cinderella on the stair. "But you must decide soon. Father has announced the wedding and we must have a bride." The blue eyes slid out of focus and brimmed with tears, "I must have a bride," she whispered. Then the taller woman swept away up the staircase and disappeared from view.

Cinderella was left to wander to her room alone and confused. She had enjoyed dancing with Henrique. He was kind and handsome and he rescued her from her evil family. But now she was told he was already married and the one who was intended to be hers was a woman, something Cinderella had never considered before. She could not love a woman, could she? It would be a marriage of convenience, strictly to keep her out of her former life. Would the princess accept that? Could she accept a relationship that would never be love, but only friendship? The confused blonde sank onto a blue sofa in her room and sighed.

Friendship was more than she could hope for at home or in a lower maid position in the castle.

A while later a firm knock on her door drew her out of her reverie. She nodded at Gin to open the door and allowed her surprise to show at the dark figure of Vincent standing there. "May we speak, Cinderella?" he asked quietly.

She nodded her consent and Vincent offered his arm. Standing on her still not-quite-right slippers, she accepted his assistance as they began a walk down the hall toward a part of the castle Cinderella had yet to explore. They strolled arm in arm down a back staircase and through a long hall filled with plants until they found themselves out in a garden. Vincent led her to a bench under a vine of fading morning glories.

"This is where Henrique first kissed me," he sighed romantically.

Cinderella blushed.

Vincent laughed, "There's no need to feel embarrassed! Love is beautiful. In any form it comes, love makes the world better."

"And you love him?"

"I do."

"But, how?"

Vincent's dark eyes roamed her curious face. He looked up at the morning glories and smiled dreamily. "He's everything I ever wanted in a partner. He's kind, intelligent, calm, and very handsome."

Cinderella played with the button on the dress the maids sewed her into that morning. She was still wearing Olivette's hand-me-downs until a tailor could be procured to measure her. "Did you always know you'd love a man?"

"No," the prince shook his head. "There was a time when I was as shocked as you are now."

"How did you change your mind?"

"I didn't," Vincent replied simply, "he did. He showed me how he could love me and I just Iet him."

"So...so, and you-"

"Shhh," Vincent cooed, letting a hand rest on her back. "You don't have to decide anything right now." They sat in silence for a moment. "She's already falling for you, you know," he murmured.

"How do you know?" Cinderella whispered back in earnest.

"I can see it. When she first saw Henrique guide you down the dancefloor she was enamored. That's why he tried so hard to find you. His sister asked him to."

Cinderella pondered that for a minute as Vincent admired a hummingbird. "How could she fall in love with someone from across the room?"

"Oh I don't think she was in love yet. She only saw that you were beautiful and coy."

"So she doesn't love me."

Vincent smiled, "I wouldn't say that. Last night at dinner, your charm and your kindness won her over. Not to mention the easy way you got along with our family. When she asked to escort you upstairs, I could see it. She's either in love or very close to it."

"Oh," was all the blonde could muster. She examined her nervous hands until a large, dark one covered her fidgeting.

"Just think about it. You seem like someone with a great capacity to love. I bet the princess would make you happy if you let her." With that, he patted her hands and rose to stretch. He offered his arm again and they strolled further into the garden.

Not long into their walk, they came upon hushed voices and a quiet sob among the fruit trees. Rounding a corner, Vincent shielded Cinderella from the view of the two siblings locked in a quiet debate. The princess looked distraught while Henrique was trying to console her. Vincent cleared his throat to announce their presence. Two pairs of blue eyes snapped to them and Cinderella caught the princess hurriedly wiping hers.

"Darling!" Henrique called. Vincent released Cinderella and went to his husband. They exchanged a quick embrace while the two women hung back. "Cinderella, it's good to see you in the garden. It is my mother's pride and joy. Maybe Ollie could show you around a bit more?" Hope sprang to his eyes, but was quickly dulled. "Unless you are tired, then I would be happy to escort you back to the castle."

Cinderella debated for a few seconds. She saw in the three friends' eyes that this was a deciding moment, whichever offer she accepted led to a path she was willing to walk. She took a deep breath. "I would be happy to accompany the princess," she said quietly, "If she intends to walk further."

The response was immediate and elating. Henrique and Vincent shared a knowing smile while Olivette's eyes were only for the tiny blonde. Cinderella blushed under the intense gaze.

"I'd love to," was all she replied. Cinderella nodded and the two husbands took their leave with expert levels of stealth that only friends can manage when playing matchmaker.

The women walked along the grove of trees, the gravel crunching under their slippers. Cinderella still had to maintain an even, slow gait to keep her loose slippers on her feet. Olivette pointed out pear and plum trees as well as a cherry grove. There was a circle of apple trees up a small hill at the edge of the path and they climbed it to get a better view.

Cinderella giggled when they reached the top, "I thought we climbed this hill to have a better view, but all I have a better view of are apple trees!"

"You are right," the princess chuckled. "But aren't royal apple trees still worth the climb, Ella?"

Cinderella froze. "Wh-what did you call me?"

Olivette turned and cocked her head, "Ella, Cinderella is so cumbersome. That's why I prefer Ollie. Formal names weigh on the tongue," she paused as she registered Cinderella's reaction, "But if it offends you, of course I will not give you a nickname."

"No, no, I am not offended." Cinderella turned to admire a ripe apple as her light blue eyes brimmed with tears, "No one has called me Ella for a very long time." She sighed and looked down at the ground where her strange slippers touched the stones. "Ella is my name. My real name, you see. My step-mother added the 'cinder' part when I fell asleep too close to the fire and woke covered in soot. I had almost forgotten..." She felt a single soft finger touch her chin and her face was raised to stare into the princess's.

"You will never be covered in soot again. You are to be a princess of this kingdom and any name with that title attached will strike respect and fear into the hearts of those who belittled you."

A single tear brimmed over and the princess wiped it off her fair cheek. "Thank you, Ollie," she whispered. She felt the brunette lean in until they were only separated by the slightest breeze. "Ollie, I-"

"Princess Olivette! Cinderella! My lady!" A calling voice drove them apart again.

"Yes, Gin? We are here!" The princess responded as a winded Ginnoire appeared among the groves.

"Cinderella, my dear. The tailor is here! It's time we-" she broke off to breathe heavily. "Time we got you some proper fitting gowns." Cinderella nodded and turned to look at the bright blue eyes again.

"I will see you at dinner," Ollie smiled.

Gin escorted the young woman back up through the garden to the castle and up to her rooms. The remainder of the afternoon was spent being poked, spun, fitted, and measured by a tight-face tailor and her army of sour seamstresses. "A wedding dress in a week! What is the king thinking? I am not magic." She scowled and ordered her women to gather their things. Once they left Cinderella collapsed onto the sofa.

"It's time for dinner, my lady."

Cinderella groaned in response, but got up and let the maids get her ready. At dinner, the queen asked how the fitting went and Cinderella, forgetting herself, sighed, "I think I should be called Princess Pincushion!"

The king and Olivette roared with laughter while Henrique snorted into his goblet. Cinderella's face went red, but the queen only nodded.

"Yes, I remember getting fitted for my maternity gowns before I had Olivette, I told the tailor that if I had wanted an acupuncturist, I would have hired one."

Cinderella relaxed as the table chuckled at the queen's joke. She was glad to see they had a sense of humor among the family, even if they appeared serious to the public.

_ _

The week flew by with Cinderella suffering through several more fittings with the snooty tailor and enjoying more walks with Ollie until, suddenly, it was their wedding day.

Cinderella stood in her rooms as women bustled around her. They slipped her wedding dress over her body and the recent stitching fit perfectly. The pale blue fabric nearly matched her eyes and seemed to shine in the firelight.

Once the dress was on and her hair was piled in pretty curls, Gin approached with a small wooden box. She smiled knowingly as she passed it to Cinderella to open. The silver latched released at her touch and the box sprang open to reveal two new slippers. They were not made of glass, but the shimmering fabric looked delicate and beautiful.

"Gin, they are..."

"Oh I know, dear!" Gin interrupted when Cinderella was at a loss for words. "Come on, put them on your little feet and let's go get you married!"

The hallways were lined with guards in gleaming uniforms staring stoically straight ahead. It was a long walk to the ballroom. Cinderella's dress made soft fluttery noises over the floor and her breathing felt especially loud as she approached the large doors. To the left, Vincent was waiting for her, his arm extended and a friendly smile on his face.

"Are you ready?"

"I think so?"

"You look beautiful."

She blushed, "Thank you."

Before he could say more, the doors were thrown open and music spilled out into the hall. A murmur of voices soon followed. When he escorted her in, the sheer number of people in the room took her breath away. It was like the ball all over again, but this time she wasn't hiding behind anonymity, she was herself, just Ella, standing before royalty. Vincent squeezed her hand reassuringly, then led the march down the aisle.

At the top of the room, past rows of elegantly dressed nobles, stood Henrique, Olivette, the king and queen, and an old, stern man in religious robes. Several other religious men sat in the front and around the edges of the room. Ella found herself gulping at the sight of so many. Vincent leaned over to whisper in her ear.

"This is why, publicly, you are marrying Henrique. The church would never allow royals to marry the same sex. They'd stage a coo."

Ella nodded and let her gaze linger on Ollie. She stood just off her brother's shoulder wearing a midnight blue gown embroidered with silver. Her dark hair was down with a crown of silver nestled on top. Her eyes shone brightly as Ella made her way towards the siblings.

The ceremony was long and not conducted in any language she knew. Henrique guided her through their parts patiently. Olivette was the one to place the golden crown on her head. Her blue eyes held a look Ella couldn't decipher, but it made her blush the same. Her eyes kept darting to the brunette throughout the tedious ceremony until the final moment. When the religious man said a long, monotone phrase that seemed to include her new name and title, the crowd cheered. Henrique leaned in and kissed her cheek with a wink.

"You did great. Follow me."

They were adjourned to a little room to the right of the ballroom, where Vincent and Olivette joined them. Then the two men continued through a stone door, leaving the women alone.

"Ella," Ollie began, taking her hand, "I know this is a lot. And if all you can ever offer me is friendship, I will understand. But this past week, you have shown me how beautiful you are truly. How kind and witty, you have utterly bewitched me. I love you. And I promise to love you until the day I die."

Ella gasped as Ollie clutched her fingers. "I-"

"Please, don't answer yet. Just let me prove it to you, yes?"

The blonde nodded in agreement as Vincent poked his head back through the door. "Time's up, ladies. Let's go."

Ollie guided Ella through the door and out onto a balcony. They joined Henrique overlooking the castle's front entrance. There, the gates had been thrown open and hundreds of commoners stood cheering and waving flags. The four young royals were soon joined by the king and queen and the people below cheered louder.

The banquet was grand, as was the orchestra. They danced for an hour after dinner before Ollie, with a significant look, disappeared behind a curtain. Ella followed cautiously, finding a hidden doorway and a smaller room behind the tapestry. The music carried through the fabric, muted pleasantly and the numerous candles made the room sparkle.

The silver in Ollie's dress caught the light, giving her an ethereal glow as she curtsied to Ella. Her blue eyes looked uncertain.

"May I have this dance?"

"You may."

Ollie swept her into a waltz with a bright grin and Ella thought she would do anything to see the princess smile with her whole face like that. Her teeth gleamed between her deep burgundy lips. As they twirled around the room Ella's feet barely touched the floor. It was fun and energetic and filled with the sounds of their flowing skirts.

"You look heavenly tonight," Ollie breathed as they slowed their steps.

Ella blushed and touched the crown that rested atop her own curls. "I feel very...formal," she giggled.

"Don't worry, we only wear them for official events. Normally they are safely locked away with the jewels. That crown was my grandmother's, you know."

"I didn't. Was she as beautiful as you?" Then the blonde blushed at her admission.

Ollie looked pleased, "More so. She was taller and had the most amazing green eyes. She could stare down any man. Father told me once she sent an entire delegation packing with just a glare after they insulted her cook."

Ella laughed, "She sounds feisty."

"She was. Henrique is so much like her. He'll make a great king one day."

"So would you, queen I mean."

Ollie laughed now, drawing the blonde closer to her body, "I won't be queen. But I do like being a princess. I can help without the pressure of being a diplomat."

Ella nodded. "That sounds lovely. Like your coat sewing project."

"Yes and I've started repairing wagons."

"You repair wagons?"

Ollie grinned, "Yes, I can fashion a pretty decent wheel."

Ella looked skeptical but it quickly turned to laughter when Ollie pouted. They remained together through four more dances until Ollie thought they were probably missed. Slipping back out into the main room, they were soon separated by other partners until the final dance of the evening where the king claimed Ella's hand.

"I can see that you make my little girl happy," he murmured as they turned. "I hope that one day, you find she makes you happy too."

"I am happy, Your Majesty. Ollie is very kind."

The king chuckled, "She's always a handful. Some days she makes me want to rip my hair out. But she's still my baby."

At the close of the evening, Henrique escorted Ella from the room to the cheers of the nobles. Olivette and Vincent met them in the hallway and after a brief exchange of partners, the two women climbed the stairs. When Ollie deposited the exhausted blonde at her door, she stooped, leaving a feather-light kiss on her hand.

"Goodnight, Ella," she whispered.

Something in the young woman's heart fluttered and she blushed. "Goodnight, Ollie."

It took three maids nearly forty-five minutes to remove all of the layers, pins, and cosmetics from her body, but finally, she collapsed into her bed and drifted off.

_ _

Ella slept late the next day. When she finally woke, it was to a late morning sun streaming in through her curtains. She yawned and stretched her tired muscles, feeling the relief from her shoulders to her toes. Just as she was rising from the bed, her door creaked open.

"Oh, you're up!" Gin grinned. Her bonnet was lopsided and she seemed to be just waking herself. "Goodness me, I indulged too much in the punch the king provided us servants. I am paying for it this morning, though not as much as poor Fayette who spent the night under the kitchen table!" She laughed as she set a breakfast tray onto the table by the hearth.

"Thank you," Ella took a cup of tea gratefully, then sat by the fire to enjoy it.

A few minutes later, some of her maids came giggling into the room with armloads of presents and dresses. They stopped short when they saw Ella sitting.