All Comments on 'Coffee and a Burn'

by Bry1977

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
mathur_nkmathur_nk3 months ago
what is wrong?

what is wrong? she did not say she was unmarried! she did not stay long with the main character on any date. if something romantic or erotic transpired is also not been told. If some love feeling got developed, it is not her mistake. So what will he talk with Mr Smith?

demanderdemander3 months ago

Maybe the coffee burn us kinda new. D

deadonedeadone3 months ago

Hint never, ever go to the man's house and tell him! Guns are way too prevalent.

@ mathur_nk; they had dated at least 3 times. Even without sex that is 3 times too many. While this bozo may not be getting any nooky, who is to say the precedent or following bozos don't?

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc3 months ago

You knew it when you posted it - too little depth. Honestly, the ending is pretty final so adding to it wouldn’t move the bar too far to the right. If you ever want examples of 1-pagers that cover all the bases, read some of HDK’s stuff! 3.5*

jflindersjflinders3 months ago

This story left me confused, wondering what and how much I was missing.

Why did he call a man he knew only by the name Jones on his mailbox Mr. Smith?

There's no indication there's been any sex between the main characters, so the readers aren't sure how seriously Mr. Smith or Mr. Jones will take whatever the main character tells him, which makes for a less effective story when the consequences of the discussion aren't described at all.

ttt59ttt593 months ago

As one other said, you accidentally switched the last name. When you write, use more unique names, it will help keep you on track. Don't think it needs more. She burned him, twice, but he's about to return the favor. Not bad.

Bry1977Bry19773 months agoAuthor

Well, crap, I honestly didn't even notice the name change! And I read through 3 times. My brain just didn't wanna function. guess that's what I get for trying something new with a short piece.

secretsalsecretsal3 months ago

Don't need to FTDS but 750s usually work better when they capture a key moment that defines the relationship or the change it's going through. Trying to squeeze too big a timeframe into that word count (unless you're doing jump cuts) makes it a little dry IMO.

BrentJWBrentJW3 months ago

My memory may be wrong, but I thought one half of FTDS has passed.

LT56linebackerLT56linebacker3 months ago

Finish it. The rest of the story, please. The Bear is waiting.

The BEAR

Regguy69Regguy693 months ago

Well, maybe she cheats while he works every Saturday night, OR maybe they have an open arrangement and Saturday night is their playtime. Perhaps he should have given her a chance to explain before going to her hubby.

GreyMatter46GreyMatter463 months ago

Turnabout is indeed fair play. thanks

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Who is Mr. Smith? The mailbox said Mr. and Mrs Jones.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I wonder where her rings were when they first met at the coffee shop? Does she take them off every time she leaves the house without her husband, hoping to pick up someone? If so, it is possible that the husband will not even be surprised.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Smith or Jones? Kinda ruined it!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

incomplete, leaving it up to the reader to make up their own conclusion. Doesn't mean in there relationship what she is doing is wrong. Doesn't even mean she is his wife! no rings worn at any time!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Smith/Jones…guess it doesn’t really matter.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103x3 months ago

That's why we need at least Beta readers, if not editors. When we read, we see what we expect to see, whereas something like this will jump right out at a new reader.

GardenshedGardenshed3 months ago

Jones or Smith whatever, too short. Not much there.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Why does he want to speak to Mr Smith and not Mr Jones. ?

MsVanilla69MsVanilla693 months ago

Kind of sour grapes really ok he got burned just let it go and move on

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Yes , we were told of this passing. FTSD has been missed As there are so many unfinished stories here

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Smith? Jones

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The MC must have somehow telegraphed his gullibility to Mrs Jones. That's the only possible reason she could have for thinking that he would fall for the "Don't call, text" ploy.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

This story is a hot mess. So the MC was dating a married woman? Didn’t say they were having sex, just dating. He never asked if she was married, just assumed? Finds out she is married so is going to tell her husband? Good way to get shot! And who knows, maybe her husband was a willing participant. They may have an open marriage with boundaries she has not crossed. Best course of action is to simply walk away, or if necessary, run!

SemperSolus0198SemperSolus01983 months ago

Gotta love the complete and total lack of integrity this story brings out in some people, if their spouses were cheating i can almost guarantee they would want to know about it so they could divorce rape their soon to be ex husbands in court, isn't that right, ladies? But if you ladies have a "fling" and your husband finds out, are they just supposed to suck it up and be a man about it?

JAFCritic3JAFCritic33 months ago

Possible plot twists to explore:

1. The standard marriage, husband is told of the affair and initiates a divorce. Wife burns the boy friend down

2. Wife and husband are actually married for some reason (political, needs a green card, financial, whatever you can think of) but it is a marriage of convenience not romantic. They are free to have a discreet relationship but nothing that would jeopardize their “marriage “. The BF just ruined a good thing.

3. The situation was completely misunderstood, the house belongs to her brother and his spouse. She was spending the evening with him and was too tired to drive home.

4. Turns out that is the twin to the woman he’s dating. He now plants the seeds that his wife is cheating on him. Much drama ensues.

5. The next scene starts with her texting him about whatever plans they have for the next night. He responds by telling her he knows everything and already told her husband. She is confused and doesn’t know what’s going on. She convinces him it wasn’t her and she’s not married. He eventually comes to believe it. The ending shows her reporting to a “handler” that she has established a relationship with 2 high level crime families and ready to initiate a war between them.

Just_WordsJust_Words3 months ago

If I were the husband, I would want to know. It was gutsy of him to approach the door. Interesting story.

lAnatomistelAnatomiste3 months ago

I could see getting "Smith" and "Jones" mixed-up if the story were longer - but in less than a paragraph and a half?

Pretty bad.

KittyCampbellKittyCampbell3 months ago

This isn't a story, it is an opening to a story. Take it down and finish it, please.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

A brilliant little gem.

oldtwitoldtwit3 months ago

Oh…… Good start, this can’t be the whole thing……

If you don’t carry this on you have to let others run it on,

JustOneMansOpinionJustOneMansOpinion3 months ago

So, is it Mr. Jones or Mr. Smith? This was more like an intro, not a story. Continue the story or allow others to finish it for you. This is everyone's biggest gripe about the 750-word story challenge. Almost none of the stories can be told in that short of a framework. I've seen comments for stories longer than 750-words. 3-stars

BoringOldGuyBoringOldGuy3 months ago

Kaboom! I like it.

Hey people, this is a 750 word submission. There is no room for more details or a continuation. The author seems amenable if someone wants to expand on this.

Bry1977Bry19773 months agoAuthor

Do any of you read the author's comments? I gave you free rein to write an ending if you want.. I am, however, planning on writing a longer revised version of this that will end the same way.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I thought their names were Jones.

26thNC26thNC3 months ago

Finish the story and I’ll give you your *5.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The mailbox said Mr & Mrs Jones but he addressed the husband as Mr Smith? It wasn't even a page later, not even 5 paragraphs later and the name changed? 1

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

The Mail Box read "Jones", but he called the husband "Mr. Smith".

JAFCritic3JAFCritic33 months ago

Dear author, I presented a few possible ideas for continuing the story yesterday. I am not a writer, so that was my contribution. A few minor discrepancies aside, I thought it was a good start

Mac_LapuMac_Lapu3 months ago

Just an intro of a story.

Question; did they have sex during their Saturday date? If not then what woukd MC ssy to Mr. Jones/Smith? Is dating without sex cheating? Maybe so. That's the confusion one gets when a story is done like a teaser.

FlamethrowFlamethrow3 months ago

An absolutely delightful snap shot of a failed potential relationship. I loved the ending.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

It’s just the little things that trip you up……..as an author 3*

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Very good snapshot. Way underscored. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

I have read hundreds of these stores on Lit. And this is only the third time, a boyfriend ratted out his girlfriend to her husband. I guess this has always perplexed me. When I was single, I would not think of even having a one night stand with a married woman. Or have anything to do with another women, regardless of status, once I got married. Think about it. If all men thought like that, cheating bitches would not exist. The same if women followed a similar line. But as long as there are men with more power or money, we know that will never happen.

inka2222inka22222 months ago

5 stars. Yah I'd have liked a BTB ending but this is 750, those short stories have different expectations and requirements. Thank you! Agree with Anon from 2 weeks ago, it's so rare to find an honorable guy in these stories who is inadvertently Another Man and when he finds out, behaves like a decent human being and tells the husband.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userBry1977@Bry1977
Been writing for a while now. As I state in most of my work. This stuff I write is FICTION. Its NOT REAL. If you want to read stuff that is realistic and actually would happen pick up a newspaper. Story's are meant to entertain and overexaggerate a little. If that is something...