Colton Stories: Knox Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Dad laughed. This was a laugh I hadn't heard in a long time. I was suddenly very thankful for Kimberly Carmichael.

"Thank you, Knox. Your approval means more to me than I think you'll ever know."

"So do we need a codeword or something?" I stuck my head out of the shower and grinned at the old man. "If there's a sock on the front door handle, I'll know to go crash at Trent's place?"

Dad laughed. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves, shall we? It's been a long time, and your old man is rusty. Bush the Elder was President the last time I dated a woman not named your mother."

"You got game, Prentiss," I observed. "I was afraid the two of you were going to start making out on the bus. I believe the lady is willing. Were you that shameless when you put the moves on mom?" I asked grinning.

He grinned back. "Son, how do you think you came into this world?"

"Wow. Suddenly I'm very awake. And very nauseous."

"Listen, we need to take two cars this evening," dad began. "And if it's not too strange, Kimberly would like to ride with you to the restaurant. I'll drive the two girls in the Mini. After dinner, would you mind showing the girls around a bit? You could show them Portland, and hit the Dairy Barn if you feel like it."

"Why do I suddenly feel like your wingman?" I cracked.

"Because on this occasion, you most definitely are," he deadpanned back to me with a shit-eating grin on his face.

______________________________________________________________

"Knox, thank you for riding with me," began the uber fox Kimberly Carmichael. "I know it may seem a bit unusual."

I only smiled, and shifted my trusty Toyota Land Cruiser. She was a classic, and I loved that damn truck. My grandpa Sartelle had found her in Virginia, and Pops Dodd drove out from Kentucky the summer I turned 16. Franklin Dodd could wrench on anything with an engine, and Gramps Sartelle was a deft hand as well. Together, the three of us put Miss Betsy to rights, and then drove her home to Colton. Those three weeks are one of the highlights of my life - especially since my mom was killed two weeks later.

"I'd like to talk to you about two things: one of them is personal, and the other has to do with my interviews here at Colton."

"Yes, to the first one," I said grinning. "I'm not sure what your daughters have to say, but it's been a long time since I've seen Prentiss smiling and laughing like he was today. My mom would want to see him happy, and moving on with his life. He's grieved her for four years. It's time for him to be happy again. From what I could see before I passed out on the ride here, he's happy with you. I'm on board."

Kimberly laughed. "Thank you, Knox. I wasn't sure how to broach the topic, but my daughters informed me that we weren't exactly discreet. Your mom was one of my best friends. I grieved her death, too. Not like you and your dad, but I did grieve. I missed her so much when Richard came unglued and destroyed our lives. Kristine was one of my rocks, and a very wise woman. I needed her - badly. To not have someone you love and need when you desperately need them is a harsh reality. But I'm sure you know that."

"She was one of a kind," I said softly.

We were silent for a moment, and I was thankful that it seemed like we understood one another.

"Knox, please tell me about Colton. Not the 'my dad is a professor' version, but the real version. You're a BMOC, so I need to hear the truth."

"Well," I thought. "You asked for it." As we pulled into the parking lot of Via Paloma, I was wrapping up my skinny on Colton College - the good, the bad, and the ugly.

"Two things, Knox: first, thank you for your honesty. Second, nothing you've told me is a surprise. Gloria Adams is also a friend - through your mother, nonetheless - and Gloria painted a very similar picture."

She leaned over and kissed me on my cheek as the valet was coming to open the door for her. I rolled my window down to talk to the dude who thought he was going to drive Miss Betsy. I slipped him a $20 as I told him how the world was going to work.

"She's temperamental. If you'll show me where you want me to park, I'll put her there myself."

He nodded, and I followed the guy pulling dad's green Mini Countryman into a space. As I parked, I noticed a car belonging to a friend of mine. Eden Adams' Volvo wagon was three spots away, parked next to a badass Toyota Tacoma. I locked her up, and was heading into the restaurant as I saw Eden walking toward me.

I mean, I knew it was Eden, but then again - I didn't. She looked different. Not different - bad. Rather, she looked different - amazing. Eden is a beautiful woman, and now her beauty was turned up about 10 notches. The woman glowed. She was wearing a summer dress that looked like it had been made just for her. It accentuated her height, and her curves. Since she possessed both those things in spades, the effect was stunning.

"Knox! I heard you and your dad were coming back early," she smiled at me as she hugged me and kissed my cheek. "How was Moscow? But you spent a week in Kentucky first, right? With your maternal grandparents?"

I nodded. "Damn, Eden. You look amazing. I'm not trying to be a creep here, but you look stunning. You're absolutely beautiful."

She blushed and giggled. Not sure where that came from, but not hating it either.

"Thank you. It's kind of you to notice. The past three weeks have been - eventful. We have lots to catch up on," she paused. "Listen, I need to grab something from my car. Wait for me and walk me in? There are some folks I want you to meet."

I smiled and nodded.

"So, what brings the Adams crew out on a Saturday night?" I queried as she took my offered arm and we walked towards the restaurant. For some strange reason, this felt really right.

"My roommates and I are having dinner with our parents to celebrate Grace's engagement," she said smiling.

Her words stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Grace Federspiel?" I choked out.

She smiled and nodded, and then she saw the look on my face. Shit. The whole damn planet was suddenly very unstable.

"Knox, what's wrong?"

"Grace - your crewmate Grace?" I asked in utter astonishment. "Tall, smart, Asian - that Grace Federspiel?"

Eden stopped and looked at me. "Yes. She and Sara are both engaged. It's all happened rather quickly, but like I said, the last three weeks have been eventful."

"Sara is engaged as well?"

Eden smiled kindly. "Yes. In fact, she and her fiancé bought the house next door to yours. They're your new neighbors."

Thankfully, there was a bench nearby. I sat down and felt the fatigue of the past 24+ hours kick the shit out of me. I had no idea at the time, but my dad's world was getting rocked just as hard as mine had been.

Prentiss

"Dr. Sartelle, I'm afraid we're running behind this evening," said the Maître D kindly. "We'll gladly comp your party in the bar, if you would be so kind." He held his arm out for us.

I smiled, and then followed Kimberly and her girls into the bar. I saw that a party larger than ours was already in this dining purgatory, and I recognized some familiar faces.

"Prentiss!" declared my old teammate, Sean Adams. Sean also happens to be married to my boss, Dr. Gloria Adams. Sean and Gloria are old and dear friends. Gloria gave the eulogy at Kristine's funeral, and Sean was a pallbearer. One of the major reasons I had not taken any of the Ivy's up on their job offers was my long friendship with the Dr's Adams. They have shown my little family fidelity in their friendship, and reciprocating seems like the only decent thing to do.

I handle the introductions, but of course, Gloria and Kimberly already know one another. With the initial pleasantries handled, I begin to scan the room. As I get to the far corner, my train of sight stops. I did a double take. I caught the gaze of Sean Adams, who was grinning madly at me while nodding his head.

"No," I whispered to Sean. "I know it can't be him, right? He's been dead now for almost 20 years."

"Let me introduce you to Dave and Jenny's son, Andrew," grinned Sean. "He and his soon-to-be-wife are your new next-door neighbors."

I excused myself from my guests, and went across the room with Sean. As I got closer, the strong resemblance to his father only got more pronounced - except for his mouth - Andrew DeGroat has his mother's mouth. I realize that I know his fiancé. She was a student in my 'World Since 1945' course. Sara Jones-Easley is a rising junior pre-law major at Colton. She's a brilliant student, and a very attractive young woman. As a father, I would have been quite thrilled had Knox brought a young lady of her caliber home to meet the old man. Sadly however, this impressive young lady was clearly 'off the market,' as they say.

"Pardon the interruption, but an old teammate of mine needs to meet all of you," said Sean affably. "Prentiss Sartelle was an outstanding switch-hitting second baseman back in the day when yours truly and Andy's dad played for the Fighting Camels baseball team," he paused. "He now chairs the History Department at Colton, and is one of the preeminent Cold War Historians in the world. Prentiss, please meet Gina Jones, and her fiancé Thomas Shaw. I believe you know Gina's daughter, Sara Jones-Easley. And the rather familiar looking young man standing next to her is her fiancé, Andy DeGroat."

I was rather dumbfounded at the moment, so I smiled and shook the offered hands of Andy and Thomas. Before I could find my voice, Eden came rushing into the bar.

"Dr. Sartelle. Daddy. I need you to come outside please. Something is wrong with Knox. He just vomited all over the sidewalk, and his color looks awful."

"Yes. If you will excuse me?" I said as calmly as I could. I paused on the way out the door to inform Kimberly that I needed to step out, but would return as soon as possible. Sean was whispering something to Gloria, so I knew the Carmichael ladies were in good hands.

I tried to put on a cool façade, because inside I was screaming. My wife Kristine and I had already lost a son. Andrew Prentiss Sartelle V was alive for one hour before he died. His death and burial were, I thought, the most devastating thing a human being could ever live through. As it turns out, I was wrong. Having my wife killed by drunk driver 4 years ago was a thousand times worse.

I know that doesn't make sense. Losing a child is supposed to be worse. But, when Andrew died, Kristine and I had one another. When Knox came along 5 years later, it made his entry into the world that much sweeter. When Kristine died, it was just Knox and me. I've never felt more bereft in my entire life. I silently prayed that Knox had just fallen victim to some bad airline food.             

Knox

"Knox, please talk to me. You've gone pale as a sheet. What's wrong?"

I vomited. Not figuratively, but literally. A concerned Eden ran into the restaurant, and returned with my dad and hers. Great, an audience for my undoing. Dr. Adams put his hand to my forehead, and checked my pulse.

"Knox, have you ever had a panic attack before?" he asked kindly.

I shook my head. "I'm fine. I'm just tired, and a bit shocked at the news that Grace, and Sara are engaged. I was..." I stopped before I said something stupid. "Really, I'll be OK."

Dad nodded to Dr. Adams, and he and Eden went inside to join their party.

"Alright son," began my dad firmly. "Talk." One glance at his face told me this was not a request.

So, I did. I told my dad everything. I told him about The Society, and my recent determination to tell them to bugger off. I was going to ask Grace and/or Sara out when we returned from Moscow. They are amazing women, and all the dumbassery needed to end. To have not said or done anything, and then to come back to find them both engaged, well shit - it wrecked me.

"Knox, I'm so sorry," said my dad softly. "This whole thing is unfortunate. If you like, I can politely beg off for the evening, and we can get you home. It was a tall ask given all the travel we've been doing."

"It's OK. I'm going to head down to the pier and try to clear my head. I may call Pops Dodd and talk to him a bit? You should stay and enjoy your evening. I'll check in after an hour or so?"

"That's fine, bud. Just please stay on the pier below the restaurant?"

I nodded. Slowly, I got up and wandered down to a bench near the end of the pier. The cool breeze felt astonishingly good. After a bit, I dialed my grandparents' home in Kentucky. They still had a landline, and I was not surprised when my granny answered.

"Hello Knox, dear, how's Moscow? It must be the middle of the night there," she said sweetly.

"We came back early, granny," I said softly. "We're home now."

She must have heard something in my voice, because she immediately said, "I'll get the General." I heard her call for her husband of 51 years. There was a quick, muffled conversation, and then Major General Franklin Dodd commandeered the receiver.

"Hello Knox, my boy," he said brightly.

"Hey Pops," I replied flatly.

"Well, you best tell me all about it," he said firmly.

I did. I told him everything. I told him about the damned Society, and my regard for Grace and Sara, and the fact that everything was now shot to hell. I told him I wanted what my mom and dad had, and I thought either one of those women would be a good start for such a life. I told him Sean Adams thought I'd just had a damn panic attack, and I'd vomited in front of a very attractive young lady, who just happened to be a childhood friend. Pops listened, and when I was done, he blew out a breath.

"Knox, I'm going to say three things to you. First, I'm ashamed of you," he paused. "You've been raised by as brave and honorable a man as I've ever known. If Prentiss knows all this, I'm sure he's very disappointed. You stood by and did nothing. That's a deplorable kind of cowardice. You know how to deal with bullies, and you did jack shit."

I knew he was right, and could not even begin to respond.

"Second, you've just learned a hard lesson. There's never a good time to do the right thing. Now, I know others will say that your mother had been killed, or that you were looking out for your father with your silence, and such a lapse can be excused given your circumstances. But let me ask you: does such a thought bring you any comfort?"

"No sir," I said softly.

"I'm glad to hear you say so. Third, and finally: Knox, please know how much I love you. Your granny too. You're a good man, and you made a mistake. Learn from it and move on."

"How do I do that?" Dammit if my eyes weren't burning and tearing up like crazy. I was a total wreck at the moment. Pops knew it, too.

"First, get some sleep. You sound like you're about to fall over. Second, go to your friends and apologize to them. Tell them you knew about that ridiculous group, and yet you did nothing to speak up for them or defend them. Own it, son. That's what a man of honor does. He owns his mistakes."

"Thank you, Pops," I said quietly. "And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I acted this way."

"I know you are, son. And Knox, this will feel worse before it gets better. I wish I could tell you differently, but I'd be lying to you. Now, go home, and ring us when you get there. We'll talk tomorrow afternoon. Deal?"

"Yessir," I said. "Please give granny my love."

"I will indeed. I love you son," he said somberly.

"Love you too," I replied. The line went dead.

Before I could stand up, a guy I'd never met came up to me. He was tall, and really, really, ridiculously good looking. I'm not sure why a Derek Zoolander quote popped into my head, but damned if he didn't. He held out his hand. On instinct, I stood and shook it.

"Knox, my name is Andy DeGroat. I know we've never met, but I'm Sara Jones-Easley's fiancé, and your new neighbor. I hear you need a ride home, and your Land Cruiser is a temperamental stick shift. My truck can be the same. I've been sent by your dad to give you a ride home."

I nodded. Something about this dude made it impossible to say 'no.' I stood up, and walked with him toward the parking lot. As we got near Miss Betsy, I handed him the keys. He unlocked my door, and I got in and laid the passenger's seat all the way back. Andy got in, fired her up, and deftly found reverse. Damn. This dude handled my beloved vehicle almost better than I did. We were on the road and at my house before I knew it. He shut the vehicle off and set the parking brake.

"I'll walk you in," he said calmly. Again, this was not a suggestion, but it was kindly said. I nodded.

We went in, and he followed me up to my room. He pointed to the bed, and said, "Sit." So, I did. Andy slipped the Bass Weejun loafers off my feet, and helped me out of my sports coat. He went to the closet and hung up the jacket. I laid back in the bed, and he left the room, turning out the light as he did so.

"Andy," I called out.

He stuck his head back in the room. "Yes?"

"Thank you. How will you get back?"

"You're welcome. Eden followed us. She's worried about you. She'll give me a ride back," he said softly.

I nodded. "I'll be OK. Please be good to Sara. She's an amazing woman. You're very fortunate."

He smiled and chuckled. "Yes, she is; and yes, I am. Get some sleep. We can talk tomorrow."

"I'd like that," I said.

"Knox, please know my roommates think very highly of you. That's saying something," he paused. "Rest well. Like I said, we'll talk tomorrow."

He left the room, and 30 seconds later I think I passed out. It was not until the next morning that I realized our entire conversation had been conducted in Russian.

_________________________________________________________

Andy DeGroat walked out the front door and walked to the driver's side door of Eden Adams' Volvo wagon. He gave her a reassuring smile, and she put a brave face on things.

"Alright little sister, why don't you scoot over, and I'll drive," he said, smiling as he spoke softly to her.

She deftly did as he asked, and Andy slid the seat back and got behind the wheel. He adjusted the mirror and smiled at Eden as he backed the car out of the driveway. As he headed down the street, he noticed his grandfather's Range Rover across the street at the home of John Moses.

"Andy, did he say anything while you were driving him home?" asked Eden in a concerned voice.

Andy nodded. "I'm not sure how much I should divulge. He was pretty out of it, and not even aware that he was speaking, I'm afraid."

"He just..." she paused. "I mean I thought he would be happy for Grace and Sara, and then he's puking right in front of me."

"Two things we need to talk about here, Snips," said Andy in his command voice. "First, I trust the four of you will believe me now when I tell you that the male population of Colton will be flocking around all four of you as thick as thieves. I'm glad that psycho bitch is gone, but it will make your lives considerably more complicated. It's open season on beautiful coeds. It will get better - eventually. But initially it will be both awkward and unpleasant until Colonel Taylor, and John Moses police up the knuckleheads."

Eden nodded. "Is that what this is about? He's interested in Grace and Sara?"

"Let me put it this way, several guys who have since shown themselves to be stand up men, went along with something they knew to be total bullshit. Now granted, they didn't participate, but they also did nothing to stop it. What 'The Society' was doing was wrong - pure and simple. There's no way to polish that turd. Think about what would have happened had Knox, Gus McLeod, Cooper Hughes, Ethan Ross, and Jacob Glass stood up and said 'nope, we're not doing this, and neither are you.'"

Eden nodded again.

"Knox is the first guy to figure out exactly what his silence and inaction cost him. It cost him an opportunity to ask out two of the most amazing women I've ever met. He knows that now. Regret and guilt are a bitch to live with," Andy said knowingly.