Come As You Are Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You have the body to wear them."

Michelle peeled off the sports bra, freeing her breasts. She dropped the bra on the counter as she studied herself in the mirror. Her slender frame contained very little in the way of body fat. Michelle had always been the most athletic of her friends. She was proud that all the time she put into the gym and watching her diet had paid off. Her panties joined her bra on the counter, leaving Michelle nude in front of the mirror. She studied her body, sighing as she did so. Her small breasts, topped with dark nipples, sat perfectly on her chest above her almost-washboard abs, which she could have worked harder to get if she didn't spend so much time studying. Her light skin was flawless, save for the thin strip of hair between her legs that Irina jokingly referred to as her "glory trail."

For all her hard work with both brains and body, Michelle still second-guessed herself. At 21 years of age, she had only had a handful of dates and one real relationship, a handsome senior at college who played for the Arizona Wildcats football team named Rich. He had been the one to take her virginity during the spring semester of her freshman year before he graduated. Since Rich, the number of dates she had been on could be counted on one hand, as could the number of sexual encounters. Sadie said it was because she was focusing on her studies and pulling straight A's. Brenda said it was because she was choosy, pointing to her repeated statements in high school that none of the guys at Emerald Pines interested her, not even hardbodies like Gio or Tyler Hammond. Colette suggested that it was because she was intimidating. An opinionated and headstrong athletic woman in a college town like Tucson would send would-be suitors in search of easier prey. Irina just shrugged her shoulders and said she hadn't met the right guy yet.

Michelle knew she shouldn't compare herself to her friends. Irina and Sadie were both outgoing and much more open with their sexuality while Brenda and Colette were involved in the social scene at Colorado State. Hell, Garrett probably had more of a dating resume than her...

The last notion shook Michelle out of her thoughts. "Quit feeling sorry for yourself," she firmly told her reflection. "You're not here for boys. You're here for skiing."

X X X X X

"I could do this all week."

Michelle looked over at Irina as the pair traveled through the air fifty feet above the snowy hill. "You're only saying that because it's Tuesday."

"No, I'm saying because I'm having fun. Although," Irina continued, her breath hanging in the air momentarily, "I should clarify. I could do this every day of the week except for Wednesday when we go night skiing. Beyond that, I want cold drinks and hot dancing."

"I think Blackcreek can accommodate you," Michelle smiled back. Once they had gotten off the lift they headed towards the far side of the basin and the slopes they hadn't run the day before. "Warm-up first, or go right for the hard stuff?"

"Warm-up. We've never skied this place before, might as well get our money's worth and see it all. Besides, sometimes it's fun to shred a beginner's slope."

Michelle found herself agreeing with Irina as the pair spent the first two hours of their day owning a succession of green circle and blue square runs with ease. Michelle barely had to make a conscious effort while skiing down the basin wall, and she had a feeling Irina was in the same mindset. As the morning went on the pair began to wordlessly race each other, the only rules being the acknowledgment of other skiers and the safety protocols that went along with that fact. The beginner and intermediate slopes became a racecourse between the two friends, powder flying in the air and skis cutting through the snow as they flew downhill. More often than not Michelle won these contests, but the rewards for winning were shared smiles and a walk back to the lifts for the next competition.

It was 11 AM and the girls were heading for a blue square run when Michelle felt something rubbing against her ankle. "My boot's coming loose," she said. "Go ahead and get in line, I'll catch it up a second." Irina nodded and made her way over to the small queue at the top of the slope. Michelle had to pull off her gloves to unbuckle and re-snap her boot together. After taking a second to make sure the sole of her boot was snug in her ski Michelle followed Irina's path. By the time she reached the top of the run, however, Irina was the third person in a line of what had quickly become a dozen-person queue.

Irina looked back over her shoulder as Michelle came to a stop. "Want me to wait?" the blonde yelled.

"No, just go! I'll catch up to you!"

"I don't ski THAT slow," Irina shot back with a smile.

"Hey, if you want to cut in front of us, go ahead." Michelle looked at the young man in front of her - blonde, no helmet, sunglasses for goggles, tan skin, and even over the crisp winter air a distinct smell of Axe body spray. He was at the front of a group of four, roughly the same save for hair color and gear choice. Michelle knew his smile very well. It wasn't an offer being made out of politeness. It was an opening thrust in what the young man hoped was a game that could end in a different kind of thrust.

"No thanks," Michelle said, hopefully ending the game before it began. "I'll catch up with her at the bottom."

"You sure?" The grin was still there as the young man leaned forward. "It's no trouble."

"It's OK. Besides, she's already gone."

The young man turned to see Irina shoving off down the run. "That's not cool, leaving you alone up here," he said. "You guys up here for the week?"

Damn it. She should have gone ahead of him. "Yeah," Michelle answered as the line moved forward, not saying anything beyond that.

"Cool. We just got here this morning. Drove in from Boise. Long drive, but worth it for the view," the young man responded. "What's your name?"

"Laura," Michelle answered.

"I'm Steve. Nice to meet you."

"Come on, dude! We're up!"

"See you at the bottom!" Steve pushed himself up to meet the rest of his friends. One by one, they dropped down the slope, disappearing from view. Michelle sighed, waiting a moment to put a little distance between her and her unwanted suitor. Hopefully, the message had been received that she wasn't interested. She hung her skis over the top of the slope, slowly leaning over and not pushing off until gravity had her firmly in its grasp. After a morning of focusing purely on speed, Michelle gave herself over to form. She cut her way down the slope with poise and grace. She even hit a few moguls instead of passing by them, soaking in the brief feeling of being airborne before straightening out right before she made contact with the snow.

Irina was nowhere to be found at the bottom of the hill. As Michelle plowed to a stop, her blonde roommate wasn't in sight. Her breath turned to vapor as she raised her goggles. A variety of skiers, most of them around her age, passed by her in both directions as she looked for Irina's blue ski jacket.

"Michelle! Michelle!"

Irina's voice cut through the hubbub of the crowd. Michelle had to look around a little longer before finally catching sight of her friend. Irina was waving her ski pole in the air as she stood just outside the lift pavilion. "Look who I found!" Standing next to Irina Michelle could make out the tall, black-clothed form of Gio, who was giving Michelle a friendly wave of his own. "We're going to go up for a couple of runs," Irina called out. "I'll meet you back in the room this afternoon!" Before Michelle could answer or even nod in acknowledgment Irina and Gio, both of them laughing loudly, were making their way towards the incoming chairlift.

"Looks like you got abandoned for good." Steve was behind her, the smile on his face a little more flirtatious. "You want to come skiing with us? We're thinking about hitting the black diamonds if you think you can keep up."

Michelle glanced around, trying to quickly think of an excuse. Steve seemed like he found a little too much enjoyment in the chase. It wasn't until the crowd parted for a brief moment that she found a lifeline to grab on to. "I'm going to go with my other friend, right over there." She pointed to the purple knit hat that stood out among a sea of white and gray. "Thanks though!"

Before Steve could react Michelle had pushed off, gliding through the crowd towards the bench where Garrett was sitting. The purple Denver Majesties knit hat she had recognized sat on his forehead along with his purple-tinted goggles, while a matching half-mask covered his face. "Garrett," she called out. He looked up at the sound of his name, reacting with surprise as Michelle came to a stop in front of him. "I need a favor," she said quietly before he could speak. "There's a guy over there hitting on me, and..."

"You need a save." Garrett's voice was slightly muffled as he stood up from the bench. He pulled his mask down before asking, "What level? Colleague, friend, or boyfriend?"

"Friend."

Garrett put on a smile much different than the one Steve had worn as he grabbed his skis. "How hard did he come on?"

"He'll keep hitting on me until I say 'yes.' Not like a creepy stalker but a 'the chase is better than the catch' kind of guy.'" Michelle turned to see that the group of five was looking in their direction. Steve, in particular, was staring at Garrett. "Let's act like we're going to the backside of the basin. I was going to save that side for tomorrow, but today's as good a day as any." Garrett kept a casual distance while they skied towards the furthest set of chairlifts. "It doesn't look like they're following," she said. "You knew what I wanted before I even asked. Sounds like you've done it before."

"Gio and I had to bail out Vienna a time or two." Garrett took a look over his shoulder. "They're back in line for the lift. Looks like you're in the clear."

She sighed in resignation "I'm going to have to put up with that all day probably. A solo female skier is like blood in the water. Thanks, Irina. Thanks, Gio."

"Yeah, we both got abandoned," Garrett answered. "One minute Gio's getting a drink of water and the next he's pulling a vanishing act on me. Guess those two hit it off."

"Irina said she was coming up here to ski, party, and meet boys. She's already checked two of those off her list." As the pair approached the lift pavilion Michelle pointed to the chairs heading up the side of the basin. "That's the only thing I plan on riding this week."

"In that case, you want company?" Garrett saw the confusion on Michelle's face and quickly clarified, "So guys don't come hit on you because you're skiing alone."

The thought of spending the afternoon with Garrett hardly appealed to Michelle. Still, she had put up with him last night at dinner and then at Wal-Mart. "I wouldn't mind having you around to ward off the sharks," she conceded. "But I'm planning on doing nothing but black diamonds. Think you can handle that?"

"I might look like a wounded gazelle," he said, squaring up his shoulders and trying to sound confident, "but I'll try."

X X X X X

A wounded gazelle was being generous. Garrett's skiing style was that of an eagle with a broken wing spiraling out of control, completely at the mercy of gravity.

He had some experience. You couldn't grow up at the foot of Sapphire Drop being best friends with the co-captain of the high school team and not know how to ski. But Garrett showed just above the bare minimum of skill needed to handle a black diamond. His turns were hardly passable, his control constantly sat on the ragged edge, and as soon as he caught any sort of air he tucked himself into a landing position. The first few runs Michelle easily outpaced him. As the day went on however she slowed down to keep an eye on him. He was never a danger to anyone else but himself while avoiding any nasty spills or collisions as he did his best to navigate the difficult slopes.

"Garrett," she finally said as they got back on the ski lift for another ride up the basin wall, "we can switch to something easier."

"No, I'm good, I'm good." Garrett slumped back in the lift, arms spread out along the back rail to keep him in place. "I'm good..."

"You do not look good. All that time in Orlando killed your skills."

"It has." He lifted his head to look over at her. "It's not just rust. Living at sea level for three years, I forgot what it's like to breathe thinner air. I'll be fine by the end of the week. You, however, haven't lost a step. You're still as good as ever."

"Damn right I am."

"Modest, too."

Michelle laughed in acknowledgment. "Irina might make fun of Arizona ski resorts, but it's still skiing. You have to keep practicing if you don't want to get rusty."

"You always were someone who's tried to live up to their full potential," Garrett responded as the chair reached the top of the hill.

"And you're not?"

"What do you mean?"

"You don't live up to your full potential?"

"Probably not."

"Why not?"

Garrett slowly came to a stop. Michelle did as well, using her poles to turn around and look at him. "Because I haven't figured out what that potential is yet," he told her. "I'm not slacking off. But helping out the couple I'm living with is a full-time job. I haven't had a chance lately to sit down and figure out what I want. I'm killing time until I can."

"If you're killing time, Garrett, it's killing you right back." He didn't appear to have an answer to Michelle's statement, so she continued to speak. "I'm proud that I'm still good at skiing. I'm not on the ski team anymore so I could have just slacked off, but I worked my tail off to become captain," she said forcefully. "Why would I want to stop if I could keep going and still ski a double black with my eyes closed? I cracked the books to get straight A's all four years of high school and graduated valedictorian to get into an out-of-state school. Why slack off when I could keep hitting the books and get straight A's all four years of college? I worked my ass off, almost literally, for this body. Why would I want to stop if I could keep hitting the gym and stave off the freshman fifteen?" She tapped her pole against the ground for emphasis. "I've worked hard since the seventh grade and I'm going to keep working hard. I'm good with fitness, I'm good with academics, and I'm DAMN good at skiing. I'm not going to apologize for any of it."

"And you shouldn't." Garrett kept his hands around the grips of his poles, waving them slightly through the air as he talked. "You've got a much more dedicated work ethic than I do. Than anyone else I know. And if that works for you, great. If you can give 100% and not feel like something's lacking, then more power to you," he said. "If I came off as flippant or dismissive, then I apologize."

"No, it's OK. We're cool." Michelle caught Garrett off guard as she laughed. "Three years out of high school, and you still push my buttons."

"I guess I do. Force of accidental habit. So did you ever try out for the pro ski circuit? Or maybe the Olympics? Every year you were all-state for skiing, and I want to say you were nationally ranked at some point."

"USA Today," Michelle answered, standing up a little straighter as she did so. "Had my picture on the page and everything. I thought about it. Anyone on the ski team did. We were the best in all of Colorado. But getting a degree was better in the long run. Crunch the numbers and it just makes sense."

"You probably could have pulled it off. You're still a kickass skier, definitely the best one I've seen here this week. If you had gone pro, you would have aced it."

"Damn right I would have." Michelle pointed to the signpost sitting along the top of the hill. "There's another black diamond just down the way. You up for giving it a shot?"

Garrett nodded. "I promise you though, it won't be pretty."

"That's never stopped you before," Michelle called out as she headed for the slope. In her eagerness to hit the difficult trail, she failed to notice Garrett's shoulders slump in frustration before he shoved off after her.

X X X X X

"This is the sign of a good nightclub," noted Irina. "The music isn't too loud. You and I can have an actual conversation without screaming at each other."

"Good." Michelle rubbed at the front of her neck. "My throat's windburned from skiing all day. I couldn't handle too much screaming. Probably the drier air."

"Help yourself to some of my tea and honey when we get back to the room then," the blonde suggested. "Maybe you should get one of those half-masks like your friend Garrett has."

"He's not my friend, but that's still a good idea. Let's go find a table."

At 9:30 pm, the nightclub known as Wonderland was beginning to fill up as the young resort guests traded skiing for dancing. Based on their previous night's experience Irina and Michelle had gotten to the club early enough to be near the front of a line. One lack-of-a-cover-charge later the two women put their coats on the back of their chairs before sitting down at the high table. The sunken dance floor was surrounded by one level of tables which in turn was surrounded by another level of tables, with a wall-length bar against the far wall. The lighting was a dim mix of purple and red that was easy on Michelle and Irina's eyes after a day of sunlight reflecting off smoothly packed snow. Irina had gone with a sleeveless red top and a black skirt that fell between her knees and ankles, with black leggings underneath for warmth while Michelle went with a green blouse and black pants.

As the two women settled in, a waitress who had been walking past their table turned on her heels to face them. "Hello! Welcome to Wonderland. I'll be taking care of you this evening. Can I start you off with something to drink?"

"I'll take a Long Island Iced Tea, and might as well open a tab," Irina stated as she handed over her debit card.

"Could you ask the bartender if he's got anything for a sore throat?" inquired Michelle. "I'm raw from skiing all day. If he doesn't, I'll just take a whiskey sour."

"Let me ask him. Do you have a preference for a cold or a hot drink?"

"Hot if he's got it."

As the waitress left for the bar, Michelle leaned over the table. "What are the ground rules for tonight?"

"Drinking and dancing."

"Guy level?"

"Flirting, dancing, purchasing alcohol for our consumption," Irina answered. "No going home with anyone. At least on my end."

"My end too. But why? You're the one who wanted to come up here and meet cute guys."

"I already met my cute guy."

"You're zoned in on Gio? I can see why you'd be interested in him. He's funny, charming, sweet, the closest thing to a Boy Scout without actually being one, and he's in better shape than he was in high school. If you think you can land him, go for it."

"He's already reeled in. I don't remember flirting with a boy as hard as I did today and him giving just as good in return. Remember, we're on for Thursday night, and based on today it's going to roll over into Friday morning." Her eyes narrowed, assisting with the playful smile Irina gave Michelle. "I can wait 48 hours, and I can make him wait 48 hours." The smile faded away, replaced by a sheepish look. "That does mean there's a chance you and Garrett are going to end up hanging out."

"That's fine," Michelle said. "I can play wingman."

"Who knows? Maybe..."

Michelle held up one finger, cutting Irina off. "I know exactly what you're going to say, and the answer is 'nope.' Garrett and I are never going to happen."

Irina leaned over the table. "Is it the same thing as Gio, you've just known him too long?" she asked, curious.

Michelle looked out over the dance floor. The music was playing, but no one had yet found the bravery to be the first ones to put themselves out there. "The guy's a dweeb," she explained. "I know no one uses the word 'dweeb' anymore but that's the best way to describe him. He was always just... there. Frumpy clothes, frumpy posture, frumpy attitude, barely spoke in class. He didn't even keep his head down enough to gain notice. But he talked smack about people behind their backs, and when he was called out on it Gio always bailed him out. I've never seen Garrett stand up for himself, or show any sort of ambition or backbone. That always bothered me."