Comeuppance Pt. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Divorce?" Captain Allen asked with a frown. "Didn't she get hurt trying to help protect you?"

Jack took in a breath and released a deep sigh. "It's a long, complicated, and messy story, but yes, I filed for divorce, and served her two days before the battle broke out. If you think it will help, I'll pull it for now. Also, she's on my insurance, and I'll pay the deductible for any cosmetic surgery she needs, face or body. Tell her that, but tell her that is contingent on her giving rehab her very best effort.

"I may strangle her as soon as she's completely well, but I'll do whatever I can to help her get well."

Captain Allen addressed him with a raised eyebrow and frown. "She has a ways to go before she even gets to rehab, but I'll tell her what you said, except the last part. Can I also tell her you're not going to divorce her?"

Another deep sigh, and then he nodded. "Okay. But I reserve the right to wring her pretty neck when she's fully healed."

"I'm not going to tell her that either, but I'll convey the rest. What about you, BFF?" the captain asked Janice.

"Tell her Jack and I have made up, and we can't wait for her to join us, and Carl, who is doing quite well. Tell her the whole town is behind her, and she had better get ready to read a bunch of mail, email, and social media. Also, tell her Jack is calling her Captain Marvel to our friends, so she needs to get nimble, quick, and strong again!

"And then tell her if she doesn't let us visit, we're going to break into her room, get arrested, and thrown in the brig! Or whatever you call military jail."

Captain Allen laughed. "It may not be word for work, but I'll let her know what both of you said, and I'll take her the mail as soon as it arrives. I hope that it will be in the batch that arrives at noon. Be sure to check back in an hour and I'll let you know her response.

"We don't have a phone, tablet, or laptop for her to use, so you will have to provide one if she's to read the emails and social media."

Jack assured her they would provide electronic devices on their next visit, and the captain dismissed them to go check on her patient.

Carl was actually returning from the restroom when they came into his room. He was as weak and wobbly as a newborn calf, he was holding onto his walker with a death grip, and he was sweating with the effort, but he gave them each a gentle hug, and bragged, "No catheter!" They congratulated him, and Jack asked if that meant he could leave.

"They told me it might be next week, but I'm gonna fool 'em! Now, how's April?"

****

Carl and April each got a sack of mail after lunch, for dessert. The captain told them that April seemed pleased by the messages from Jack and Janice, that she got tears in her eyes when she learned Jack had stopped the divorce, and again when she heard that he and Janice had made up. She didn't agree to visitors, but she did work much harder at the exercises they gave her, and she sobbed when she got all the mail.

Hours later Captain Allen found her with letters and cards all around her, on the bed and floor. She looked exhausted, and a bit stunned. She looked up at the captain, sobbed once, and quietly said, "I had no idea. I feel so bad about what I've done, I thought everyone else knew what an evil slut I turned out to be and hated me as much as I hate myself.

"I don't know how to face them, much less Jack. It's not just the hideous scars and crippled legs; I loathe myself so much that feeling his loathing is more than I can stand!"

Captain Allen kept a neutral face, but her words had bite. "I don't know the man you're talking about, April. There is a man named Jack who comes every day, but all I see in his eyes is concern and caring. I'm pretty good at reading people, so if he loathes you he's fooling me.

"As to the 'hideous scars', they are actually quite superficial, and the man named Jack that I talk to daily says he will ensure you get all the cosmetic surgery you need to look as beautiful as always - but only after you're up and about! The exercises we're asking you to do are introductory to the rehabilitation that can restore your mobility, but only you can determine how well you'll walk and run, or sashay about on high heels.

"A year from now, whether you have hideous scars and are a cripple is entirely the result of your choices. So is seeing your friends and loved ones while you are 'hideous and crippled,' of course, but let me ask this: do you want to tackle the hard work and difficulties ahead with or without support from those who care about you? You seem to be wallowing in your sorrow, which is a big impediment to overcoming your challenges.

"If you let your best friend, Janice, your 'favorite cousin', Carl, and the man named Jack into your room for a visit, how will that set you back? You're stuck on dead center - well, absent the effort you expended this afternoon after you got the mail - so, what do you have to lose?"

Maybe it was the pep talk; maybe it was the next sack of mail, or using the phone they got her to read the emails and see the live and recorded "get well" chants, songs, and dances to which she'd been sent social media links, but for some reason, the next day she added Janice to the approved visitors list.

Jack was disappointed but not surprised. He returned to Carl's room to talk, laugh, and plan. While he was there, they called Bud Allee's cell and got an update on the cattle. He had opened the gates to the nearer pastures, where there was plenty of graze, so the livestock were doing fine.

He warned them they needed to hire someone to farm the crops, because he and Jose had no idea how to farm, but the maize, corn, haygrazer, and coastal Bermuda all needed attention. They asked whom he suggested, and he sent them a contact from his iPhone.

It was a man they knew and trusted, so Jack made the call, and Tomas Martinez agreed to go take a look before dark. He would call tomorrow to let them know what needed to be done, and would have an estimate of the cost of his contracted labor and equipment.

Their next call was to Alfred, who was in his room in the barndomenium rather than in the basement. "Time to change things up, Bossman," he informed Jack. "I'm battling two sets of 'em, and these dudes are pretty good. They're not as good as I am by any means, but good enough that I have to come at our problem from various angles, if you know what I mean. I'm going for a ride in few minutes, but I'll call when I get a chance."

"Going for a ride?" Carl asked after they hung up.

"That means he's moving to another location," Jack replied, "in case they get lucky and trace him. Having two other parties involved also means the man we're after is very well protected in cyberspace, as well as in physical space."

Janice showed up a few minutes after their conversation with Alfred, but she wasn't as ebullient as expected after getting to see her BFF. When queried, she hemmed and hawed, before insisting, "April is in a lot of pain, she has a lot of small wounds on that beautiful face, and she's not sure she'll ever walk again. It was good to see her, but also disturbing. Maybe tomorrow will be better."

She wouldn't share more, so they talked, reminisced, and updated her on the ranch before they returned to the hotel room.

Carl called while they were eating breakfast the next morning to let them know he would be released today after meeting with the Otolaryngologist about his ears. They went to the hospital, waited for him to be released, and then took him with them to April's unit. She wouldn't see either man, but Janice went in to visit carrying her new laptop and a tablet for April.

Carl and Jack made their way to the cafeteria, sipped coffee, and talked quietly. Some of the conversation was about April's stubborn refusal to see them, some about the purpose of the laptop and pack of USB drives Janice had purchased, and some was about the man Alfred was stalking on Jack's behalf. The man who ordered the hit on Jack and the two women, according to the gangster Jack questioned.

After too much coffee and two trips to the urinal, they switched to water and decided to check in with Donnie. He didn't have much to add, but insisted they call Rene, who had new information.

"Como estan, compadres!" Rene practically shouted when they identified themselves. "It's good to hear your voice again, Carl! And thanks for calling me so quickly - I have news!

"We got together and reviewed all the notes we took when we first rounded up the gangsters and questioned them, and from that we drew several conclusions. First, they were there to kill Jack AND the girls; that was stated by two of the men. Second, their Capo gave them the RPG and told them he got it from the man he contracted with for the hit. No one claimed to know the man's name, but it was understood that he was someone important and well connected.

"Third, we were told that their Street Boss, Louie, knows more than he told anyone; in fact, he may know who the contract is with! We aren't telling that to the feds, but we have asked for an interview with him.

"And finally, the feds are still claiming it was a Columbian drug cartel, just as they continue claiming regarding those assassinated at the ranch. We certainly know better on both accounts and the press has photos, video, and audio proving 'these guys' are associates in a 'cartel', alright, but it's not a Colombian cartel!

"You'd like to think they're trying to mislead the press while they make the case against whoever bought the hit, but we suspect this is another cover-up. That means this is too big and too hot for them to handle without approval from on high, which they don't have.

Some of the investigative news outlets, however, smell the chance to expose a law enforcement cover-up and bring down even more politicians, so they are digging like a polecat after a juicy grub. I suspect we'll know more soon, but I also know patience isn't a virtue either of us have, Jack, so don't go off half-cocked."

"Well, Sheriff, while that's true enough, I'm crippling around up here, trying to help Carl recover his memory, and convince April to do her rehab, so patience is something I'm forced to have right now. Thanks for the update, and please keep us informed."

Turning to Carl, Jack said, "You about ready to go home? If April isn't going to let us visit, there isn't much reason for us to stay, and there are plenty of things to do back home. If you feel up to it, let's catch an Uber. I know where we can pick up a nice car to trade with Janice."

Jack sent a text to Janice and April saying he and Carl were going to eat an early lunch and would be back around one or two. They would have been earlier, but had to stop to get April's Lexus inspected. It had been garage-stored for almost a year and he had the new registration document with a Bexar County address, but it had to be inspected before he could get the new sticker.

The inspection only took twenty minutes due to a $20 bride Jack paid the mechanic to do the $7 inspection out of order, but getting the new sticker from Bexar County took twice that long. They were back by 1:10 anyway, with a new gate pass for the Lexus. Janice let them know she'd meet them in the cafeteria in ten minutes, so they headed down and got a table.

She was all business when she arrived, laptop in hand. "Before you ask, April is doing okay. She's with her therapist now, and she's working hard to get ready for rehab. Her therapist says she can start in a week, if she completes her therapy. Yes, she's walking, but very gingerly, with the aid of a walker.

"We have a plan. I'm moving to your condo so I can help when she starts rehab. While she's rehabbing, she'll see a plastic surgeon, and after she finishes rehab, the surgeon will treat her other wounds.

"Oh, don't give me that look - of course we know about your condo. I spent the night you were hosting April at the ranch online, trying to figure things out, and found your shell corporations. I also learned just how much you're actually worth here in America and offshore, Big Brother, so think before you divorce April, or she is going to be wealthy divorcee.

"Admittedly, I couldn't access the offshore accounts, but I do know they exist.

"Anyway," she continued while Jack and Carl gawped, "we have the next six months or so mapped out, and it's in your best interest to get the divorce pulled and continue paying for April's recovery. But that's not all: we've been busy little girls when she's not in rehab."

Janice slipped a USB drive to Jack under the table, and explained. "We've been reviewing our stent as forced sex workers, and this USB drive has a list of everyone we can remember having sex with, or saw having sex with someone else, on that drive. There are also lists of women and girls who were likewise forced and abused, and we recounted a story we heard about powerful and rich men and women who prefer having sex with underage girls and boys.

"We're not close to being through - our next effort is a play-by-play with names, dates, and places - but given the propensity of the players in this game to try to kill us, we want you to have what we have. Keep it and yourself safe, and I'll update you every time we add to it."

Jack looked at Carl and said, "That's a lot of new information, Sister Mine... Carl, it's time to monitor and adjust, right? You're staying here with Janice, and you two are staying at my condo. We'll head over there now. I'll give you each a key and the combination to the gun safe, and expect you to take good care of each other until I can hire security.

"Security has to be in place if April moves to rehab off base, because you're right - Rene verified that you are both on the hit list! You can continue living at the condo with her after she's discharged, until the cosmetic surgeries are completed. Then we can talk next steps.

"As soon as the security team gets here, Carl, you can call me and I'll come get you. Meantime, I could use your help with guiding Bud, Jose, and Tomas on the phone, because I've got to focus on the businesses for a while. There's a spare laptop at the condo, and a secure room with secure internet so we can communicate. But, Sis, DO NOT get online with your computer from anywhere but there, and I need to get Alfred to check the security before either of you use it!

"The shit you two are documenting will cause a megaton nuclear explosion in Washington, and who knows where else! In fact, it could bring down the government AND Wall Street, depending on the names, so... use EXTREME CAUTION in everything we do!"

****

Janice gave him 'el mal ojo' when she saw the Lexus that had been "given to the Salvation Army," but remained quiet. She followed him to the condominium in Alamo Heights in his pickup, which Jack wanted to take to the ranch. His legs, though, just wouldn't agree that the five-speed manual transmission was a good idea, so he would keep the Lexus.

After showing them around the condo and picking out of pistol for himself, Jack headed south. Carl and Janice headed back to the hotel to get their goods, and then to the hospital. Maybe April would relent with Jack gone, but Carl would use the time to talk to the hands or Jack if she didn't.

When he hit Cowtown, Jack stopped by the Law Enforcement offices to visit with the sheriff, and got a three-fer: Rene, Danny, and Elias. Although their participation in the dustup had reduced his resentment toward the deputy and trooper, there was an initial coolness in the room. Danny reduced that with a heartfelt apology, and Elias doubled down, saying he was sorry for acting as he did, and expressing his admiration for Jack.

"I still think you were harsh toward the girls, but when I stop and put myself in your place, I get it, and I'm sorry I picked sides. You're probably the man I admire most in this county, not counting the sheriff and his deputy here, and I don't want bad blood between us."

"No, I want to apologize to both of you. At the time, my heart was hardened and my mind was closed toward my wife and sister. Since that time, I've come to understand their points of view a little better, even if I don't agree with them. Janice and I have been spending time together, trying to support Carl and April's efforts to recover and to understand the other's point of view.

"I overreacted at what I considered another betrayal, but now see as your concern for the distraught women. If you can, let's let bygones be bygones."

Hands were shaken all around as heads were nodded in agreement, and then Danny lightened the mood with a question and a grin. "So, you bought the Lexus back from the Salvation Army? I saw you drive up in it."

"I might have fibbed a bit about that, but it was in San Antonio and not available for her to drive."

They joined him in laughter, and Rene gave him a Bro hug. Then Jack turned serious, and asked if they could talk. Rene gestured to the chairs, and shut the office door.

"I have solid evidence that April and Janice are in serious danger. The attack wasn't to kill me - it was to kill them! I'd appreciate you not asking for my source on this and accepting it as fact - which I promise it is. To make it worse, if the culpable party finds out what they are up to now, the bounty will increase tenfold.

"This is where you come in. I'm prepared to hire a security team to oversee their safety while April goes through rehabilitation and Janice lends support. They are planning to live in my condo while April does rehab and surgery, but on the way down I had a conversation with myself and came to the conclusion that their enemy or enemies have far too many resources at their disposal. Every time they step out the door of my condo or the rehab center, they become easy pickings.

"I'd feel safer if they were down here, but I'm afraid it will be weeks if not months before she's ready."

"I'm not worried while April is on the base, but once she leaves they are going to take their best shot! Which is why I'm here with the professionals, asking, how can I keep them secure while helping April recover? Your thoughts?"

They exchanged looks and nods, and Rene answered, "I'd say the point you made about them being safer down here is even more valid than you know, but we'll get to that in a minute. You need to hire a security team immediately, and we'll help make the ranch as secure a site as anyplace can be before they return.

"I know she's got a ways to go, but after a few weeks can she get the rehab she needs here? We've got Dr. John and Kate here in town, and you have the workout facility in the barn. What do you think?"

"Dr. John and Kate are the reason I'm bringing it up. When those two moved here from Fort Worth and opened the Wellness Center, the physical therapy situation changed significantly. I think it's worth a shot. Should I call or go by to get their thoughts?"

"Call from here - I want to hear their response, and I may have questions of my own," Rene stated.

He called and gave a thorough explanation. After a few questions, they said they would call to make sure, but it shouldn't be an issue for another two weeks or more, because the next step was April being transferred to another on-base facility for at least 14 days. After that, they were confident they would be able to take over, but it might require April to come to the Wellness Center to use their specialized equipment and pools, at least part of the time. Rene nodded, so Jack told them that would be ideal.

"You won't have any problem in supplementing the men I hire when she leaves the ranch?" Jack asked.

Rene grinned at the other two LEOs before responding, "I don't think so. We're getting some new toys that should help. Thanks to your little imbroglios, after two decades of asking, federal funds and surplus military equipment were suddenly made available to us. Homeland literally sent someone down with a laptop, and asked us to go through the available selections and choose those we feel are needed to help 'secure the border, assist in interdiction of drug smugglers and human traffickers, and make our citizens safer.'