Coming Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Me and some girlfriends are going to Lou's for pizza tonight, Jenny. Why don't you join us?"

"Thanks, but I've got to deal with the kids and my big kid husband," she said laughing.

"Hi Ann," Allie shrieked as she ran up to give her a hug.

"Hey Allie! How's your brother?"

"He's good. We got a new apartment. I have my own room again."

Jenny smiled as Ann pretended to not know that.

"Really? That's great, you deserve it."

"Thanks. Daddy got hired full time here and we have food all the time now. He even pays Mrs. Jackson to watch us when he is working."

"Aw that's wonderful baby. You remember what I told you?"

"Yes Ma'am. I won't forget. I gotta get home. You should visit us sometime?"

Ann frowned and said, "I'd love to, but your dad wouldn't like that."

"Sometimes my Dad is clueless, but we girls know better right?"

Ann and Jenny laughed and agreed.

"Bye Ann, bye Jenny."

"Bye Allie."

As Allie jogged home, Jenny asked, "What is Allie supposed to remember?"

"I told her that if she ever needed anything to see you at the office and you would call me."

"Okay, that's nice."

Ann was brought back from her reverie by a squealing Allie.

"Ann! What are you doing here?" Shouted Allie.

Ann smiled realizing Allie must've heard her say she was going there, but played along.

"I'm meeting some girlfriends for dinner. Hi Dave."

Dave glared at her and said louder than he intended, "How dare you interfere in my life? We're not a damn charity case. You had no right to do what you did."

Allie looked at him shocked and Ann was seething with anger. "Allie watch your brother for a minute. I need to talk to your dad for a second outside."

She grabbed him by the arm and dragged him out the doors. They were barely outside when she started screaming at him.

"Listen you asshole. You needed help whether you think you did or not. I had the means to do it. You got a bad shake from your bitch wife and those kids didn't deserve it. I didn't give you a fucking hand out. I gave you a hand up. I gave you a job, not charity, and I gave you a chance to save and get back into a house for those kids. So I paid your rent. So what? I just wish I could've seen the smile on Allie's face when she found out she was getting her own room again. It would have been worth 10 times the cost of the rent."

"You paid for our rent? God damn it! I knew it wasn't a perk. I didn't ask for your help."

"Arrrrggghh!" She growled and turned her back to him looking in the window of the restaurant to see Davey and Allie waving.

Her friends walked up and Ann said, "Gals, I'll meet you inside. I'm finishing up here with one of my employees."

The ladies each gave Dave the once over and all giggled. Carrie said, "Uh Huh. And if you don't want him, I do." The ladies all laughed as Ann was red faced.

She turned to Dave and said softly, "Dave, you did need help and I had the ability to help you. Please accept it for what it is. You're good at your job and you work hard. Jake loves having you, and that means you have value to me. As for the apartment, I will grant you that no one else gets that perk. That was me giving you some help to get back on your feet. Don't hate me for that, please."

Dave was disarmed by her soft tone. "I'm sorry. I really am. Thank you for all you've done. I know you could have turned me into Child Services and I could've lost them because of our dire situation."

"I would never..."

"I know. Look, thank you again. I know you have friends waiting and I have hungry kids waiting, so let's get back in."

She nodded and followed along. Allie asked, "Dad, can Ann eat with us?"

"No baby, she's got friends here."

"Oh, okay," she said sadly.

As if the fates intervened, their tables were next to each other. Ann smiled when she saw the tall, handsome man walk up with his beautiful kids and sit down. Ann got a good bit of quiet ribbing from her friends, but Dave could hear them laughing. He looked over at them and smiled. Carrie put her hands on her heart and feigned a swoon, which only made the ladies laugh harder and Dave turn a new shade of embarrassment red.

Dinner went on uneventfully as Allie and Davey talked about everything and anything involving their day. Dave glanced over a few times at Ann and was struck by how lovely she was. He hadn't noticed before because he was so angry, but now he did notice and was all the more embarrassed for his need for her help.

She was beautiful, with long brown hair, strikingly blue eyes, and she was tall. He felt like she could've been a model, compared to his average looks. He never felt that he was good looking, but he never needed to be. He was with the bitch since high school before she abandoned them and he hadn't dated since she left.

He shrugged off those thoughts, but got caught by Ann's friend Lisa looking over. She smiled and whispered in Ann's ear.

'Shit,' he thought as he knew he was busted. He wasn't looking so he didn't see Ann smile when Lisa told her he was checking her out.

Allie took Davey to clean up in the bathroom after they were done and Ann took that opportunity to talk to Dave again.

Sitting down next to him she took his hand and said, "Dave? Are we good?"

"Yeah, we're good. I'm sorry I overreacted. I've just never needed help before. We weren't rich but we had what we needed plus some."

"Will you tell me the story sometime? Allie told me a bit, but she doesn't know details. I'd like to know your wife's reasons."

"Ha. She traded up. Plain and simple."

Ann frowned and said, "Don't believe it, Dave. You're a good man. That goes way farther than money at the end of the day. Believe me. I threw one away once because I wanted to be a party girl. Worst mistake of my life and I regret it every day."

"You're young, beautiful, and apparently rich. I'm sure it's not too hard to find someone new."

She squeezed his hand and said, "Lightning very rarely strikes twice in the same place, and if you knew what I did, you really would hate me and I'd deserve it."

"Hey Ann!"

"Hey girly! All clean?"

"Yeah, but it's hard keeping a boy clean."

"I know sweetie. I have a little boy not much older than Davey."

"Where is he?"

"Allie, that's not your business," Dave chastised.

"No, it's okay. He lives with his daddy and step-mommy. I get to see him a lot though, so I don't miss too much of his life. Well, anyways. I'll let you guys go about your night. It's almost bed time."

"Aww, can't we stay and visit?"

"Sorry baby, she's with her friends and your brother is falling asleep right now."

"Am not," Davey protested.

"It's okay. We we can do it another time," Ann said while winking at Dave.

"Uh, sure."

"Gimme hugs," Ann asked.

Ann sat back with her friends and got the 3rd degree.

"Spill it girl. What's with the hunk and kids?" Carrie asked.

"He works for me."

"Yeah, yeah, and?

"And nothing. He's a bit broken at the moment and I picked up some of the pieces. His ex-wife busted him up badly."

"Ooh, a project. Are you up for that?" Asked Lisa.

"I don't know. There's something about him that I'm drawn to and those kids are so cute."

"Yeah, you're drawn to his big hammer," Lisa said as the girls laughed and Ann blushed.

**********

A couple weeks later on a sunny but cool Saturday morning, Ann made a call.

"Jake, it's Ann Clayton."

"Yes Ma'am. What can I do for you?"

"Is Dave Lamers in the garage?"

"No, he's painting the clubhouse. Do you want me to page him?"

"No, no. Please have him call me when he gets back in."

"Sure thing, at this number?"

"Yes. It's my private cell."

"Okay, I'll let him know," he said with a grin.

**********

"Dave! Message here for ya."

"What's up?"

"Ms. Clayton wants you to call her on her private cell right away."

"Okay, thanks. Wonder what she wants?"

"No clue man. Just don't keep her waiting."

"Okay."

***********

"Ann Clayton," she said as she answered.

"Ms. Clayton, it's Dave Lamers. Jake told me to call."

"Yep, thanks. When I first met your daughter she told me you used to have a remodeling company."

"That's right."

"Would you mind coming over and giving me your opinion on something? I was thinking of putting a larger shower in, and I was wondering if it were possible in my bathroom."

"Yeah, I could take a look for you. When?"

"How about tomorrow? I have my son, so you could bring the kids. JR would love a little play date with Davey and I'm sure I could keep Allie occupied."

"Well, Allie is going to a friend's house already tomorrow so it'll just be me and Davey. I'm free from noon to about 3. Will that work?"

"Perfect. Plan to have lunch with us first when you get here. Is this your cell?"

"Yes."

"Good, I'll text my address. And Dave, none of that Ms. Clayton crap. Call me Ann."

"Okay. See you tomorrow."

***********

Dave rang the doorbell of the big McMansion type house. He shook his head as he looked around the neighborhood and took in the beautiful landscaping and manicured lawns.

"Daddy, look at the puppy!"

In the window was a small ankle biter type of dog tapping at them.

"Yeah buddy, be kind to it so you can be friends."

"I know."

Dave laughed as he knows Davey knows but that doesn't stop him from playing rough with dogs sometimes.

The door opened and Dave was stunned. Ann was wearing a pair of the tightest yoga pants he'd ever seen. To make matters worse they were the sexy ones with the sheer black nylon-like material sewn in. She had her hair up in a pony tail and a sports bra type of shirt that bared her midriff.

"Earth to Dave!"

"Huh? Oh sorry I Uh..."

Laughing Ann said, "Thank god I still have some sort effect on a man. You flatter me."

She knew exactly what she was doing and wore that specific outfit to get that exact reaction.

Dave blushed as they walked into the foyer. He stripped Davey of his coat and shoes and little JR came into the room. Ann made the introductions and they chased off after the dog so Davey could meet him.

"I hope hot dogs and mac and cheese are good for lunch. I remember Allie telling me Davey was picky about lunch."

"Yeah. He won't even mind if the hot dogs are cut up and put in the macand cheese. He will just put the ketchup right on it and dig in."

"Same with JR. must be a boy thing."

"Must be."

"Well let's eat and then take a look at my bathroom."

**********

Dave was impressed as they walked into her master suite. Tasteful decor, not too fancy or opulent and rather homey. The bathroom was large and had a double sink, separate commode closet type of room, large whirlpool tub and large walk-in shower.

"It's a great space already, Ann. What are you looking to do?"

"Well, I was thinking of having a bench put in and that kind of shower that hits you from all angles."

"Gotcha. Well, you've got the room for it. You'll obviously need plumbing work on top of the tile work. The drain will need to be moved a bit, but it's doable."

"Good I'm glad. Is it a project you'd be willing to take on?"

"Oh Ann, I couldn't. It's a lot of work for one man and would take a long time working around my job and the kids. It wouldn't be convenient for you."

"Don't worry about that. I've got another bathroom and shower on this level that I can use so that's not a problem."

"Ann, I couldn't."

"How long do you need? A month? Two? It's fine and I trust you to do it right."

"You hardly know me."

"I looked up your old business. Your reputation was impeccable. I've seen the reviews. Plus, you forget that you already work for me and I'm well aware of your record. Jake loves you."

"I don't know. Let me think on it for a day or two ok?"

"Sure and as an added bonus I'll babysit while you're working on it. Here or at the apartment."

Laughing, Dave said, "Okay, okay. I'll think about it."

"Okay thanks. The boys are occupied by their games. Would you like a drink?"

"Sure, water is fine."

"Okay, follow me."

**********

"Dave will you be honest with me if I ask you a personal question?" Ann asked as the sat in the living room.

"Yeah sure," he said skeptically.

"How are you doing? Financially, I mean."

"Fine. Your job helped out a lot and you paying my rent has helped me catch up over these last few months."

"Is it enough? I know you're a proud man and don't want hand outs, but if I could loan you some money to ease your burdens, I'd be glad to."

"No thank you. My past due bills are all caught up. I didn't have much debt anyway as far as credit cards or loans. I just got hurt bad when I had to break up the business in the divorce because she demanded her share."

"Why is that? I mean, why did you have to pay her for your business?"

"We started it together sort of. Her family had money and she gave me the start up money. Me and the crew did the jobs and she did the books and marketing stuff. When we divorced she wanted her start up investment back and the judge agreed. I had just bought a new van and some other equipment so we weren't very liquid, which of course she knew, so I had to give her most of the cash we had and sell off most everything to get her the rest of the money. She wouldn't let me pay her in installments."

"Bitch."

"Yeah, she wasn't at first. We dated in high school and while she went to college, to which I didn't go, I worked. We got married after she graduated and everything was going great. We weren't rich, but she had everything she needed. She even had a trust that she got when she turned 30. I really think that's what changed her. We were really in love and happy, but once she got the money, she wanted more and more.

Suddenly, after Davey was born, I was an embarrassment. She would go to these society type, charity things that her parents were involved in and not include me. It's not like I don't clean up well. I had a nice tux and some good suits, but I think she was just embarrassed to tell her newest group of friends what I did for a living. I'm proud of what I was. Business was good. I had a good reputation and did quality work."

"Then what happened?"

"One day I came home and she told me she was leaving me for some rich guy her mother introduced her to. She said she hadn't slept with him yet, but they were in love."

Ann quietly listened and grabbed his hand.

"She walked out the door without even saying goodbye to the kids. Allie ran after her, but the cold hearted bitch ignored her cries."

The next day I came home and the house was empty. I mean everything. She left the kids bedrooms alone, but all of our furniture was gone and all that was left in our bedroom was the bed and a pile of my clothes on the floor. I found out later that she gave it all to her sister and her new husband. I guess since a lot of it was a gift from her parents and her lawyer was better than mine, I didn't get any of it.

Anyway, after paying her and my lawyer fees with no way to work I had to sell the house. We were underwater because of the market so I had to liquidate my retirement money to pay the balance. I couldn't make the payment so I got the apartment. I was lucky to get it. I think Jenny might have felt sorry for me because I didn't think I could get it without a job, but I did. After a while I got some work from Jake and that's when we met."

"She didn't want the kids?" Ann asked quietly.

"Nope. She said I could have custody because her new man didn't want kids."

Ann started crying when he said that, remembering her own issues.

"In the divorce she was asking for visitation, but she hasn't even called to talk to them since the day she left. What kind of monster does that?"

Ann sobbed harder and ran to her bedroom.

Dave was shocked at her strong reaction, but didn't know what to do. It was almost time to go, so he went to check on the boys. He sat and watched them play for a few minutes before she finally came back.

"I'm sorry to run off like that, Dave. You're a good man who got a bad shake."

"Well, it's water under the bridge I guess."

"Dave, your story tore me up so much because it's similar to my own in a way. I'll tell you that story if you care to know."

"No, Ann. Your business is your business. I don't have to know all that."

"Maybe."

"Well it's time we got going. I have to get Allie."

"Of course. Tell her I said hi please."

"Sure, she really likes you. You're the first lady in her life that helped her when she needed it. I think she's getting attached to you in a way."

"That's sweet. She's a really great kid. You've done well raising her."

"Thanks. Come on big guy, we have to get your sister."

After the few minutes arguing with the boys about leaving, Ann walked them out and gave Dave a soft kiss on the cheek.

**********

Dave ended up taking the work from Ann. He didn't know that she didn't need the work done at all, but wanted to get him some more money and maybe even open a door for him to start up his business again. It was also a reason to see him more.

She was very interested in him, but was afraid he was too hurt yet from the divorce to flat out ask him out.

One night Ann was watching the kids at Dave's apartment while he was working on her shower. Davey was put down for bed and Allie was showered and ready for bed herself. As Ann tucked her in, she asked, "Ann, do you like my dad?"

Ann said, "Yes sweetie. Now that he's not mad at me anymore, we get along fine."

"Do you like him like a boyfriend?"

Giggling, Ann answered, "That's kinda complicated baby. Your dad has a lot of things he is working through. I don't think he's looking for a girlfriend."

"Okay, but what about how you feel? If he liked you, would you like him?"

"Well, I'll just say it's going to be up to him. I'm perfectly happy being his friend and your friend."

"Okay, goodnight Ann."

"Goodnight, baby."

**********

"Any problems?" Dave asked as he walked in the door.

"Nope, they were angels as always. I wish JR was that easy to get into bed."

"It's always easier when they aren't yours, I think."

"Probably so."

"Well, thanks again. I'm gonna grab a shower and hit the hay."

"How much longer do you think it'll take, Dave?"

"Well, I was hoping to work all day Saturday and Sunday. If I do that, probably by Wednesday night."

"Good. I have JR this weekend, so how about if I take them all to the Aquarium on Saturday? Would that be alright?"

"Sure. They'd love that."

"Good. Why don't you plan to sleep over Saturday. You can have the guest room and the kids can camp out in the basement."

Dave struggled with the idea for a bit, but relented. "Okay. That'll give me a few more hours. I may be able to finish up the final touches late Sunday then."

"Wonderful. Come any time on Saturday."

As was becoming her custom, she kissed his cheek on her way out.

**********

Dave was over at 7am Saturday morning and Ann was already up making breakfast.

"I hope you didn't eat, I've made French Toast."

The kids were of course excited. Ann already knew they loved it and they ran to the kitchen to dig in.

"You sure know the way to a kid's heart, I'll give ya that, Ann."

"Yep. It's the adults that are tougher to crack," she said looking over her shoulder as she walked away.

Dave couldn't help but watch her, in her usual yoga pants. He shook that off and went up to work.

**********

Ann had the kids ready to go and walked them up to say goodbye on their way out.

"Dave, I left some breakfast for you keeping warm in the oven. Make sure you eat something please."

"Okay, have fun guys."

Dave decided to take advantage of the meal in silence and took a break. He walked them out kissing and hugging goodbye and made his way to the kitchen.