Coming Home

Story Info
Ann blew her life up, can she recover and finally find love?
12.9k words
4.67
62.2k
130
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bh76
Bh76
2,780 Followers

Ann Clayton was shopping up and down the aisles at the Target superstore on a lazy Saturday morning. Finally somewhat content with her life, after realizing and atoning for her mistakes, she was lost in thought about her son JR, when she saw a little girl pushing a stroller.

She smiled at the girl helping corral her little sibling while her mom shopped for their needs. At least that was what Ann thought. Reality was much worse.

The little girl, seeing an opportunity with Ann smiling at her, smiled and asked, "Ma'am, can you spare some money so I can buy my brother something to eat?"

Ann was struck with shock, but crouched down to the girl's height and asked, "Sweetie, where is your mommy?"

The little waif scowled and said, "Who cares? She abandoned us and hurt my daddy. Hopefully she drove off of a bridge on her way to whatever she loved more than us."

Ann couldn't believe what she was hearing. The venom in the girls voice made her thank god that she came to her own senses before her son felt that way about her.

"Let's go find your daddy then," Ann said gently touching the girl's arms.

"He went to work," she said. "I couldn't find anything to make Davey for lunch, so we came here. I don't have enough money though. I've got a dollar, but Davey's kind of picky so I need some more to buy some milk and a box of mac and cheese."

"Your dad left you home babysitting without food?" Ann was getting angry and doing her best to hide it.

"Allie?" Cried out the little boy who had woken up from his nap.

"Right here Davey," she assured him from behind the stroller.

"Out please?" Asked the boy.

"No way Jose, I'm not letting you loose so I have to chase you around. Stay put until we get home."

"I'm hungry," the boy said softly.

"I know, we're at the store to take care of that."

Ann couldn't help but be amazed at the young girl's maturity, but knew that this was a bad situation that could only get worse if she didn't help.

"Where does your daddy work?"

"He lost his good job when mom took off, so he's been doing work in the apartment complex where we live."

"Is that in the apartments next to here?" Ann asked, knowing them well since she owned the entire complex. It was run by a management staff and was the reason Ann was at that particular store. She had checked in with Jenny, the property manager that morning and stopped on her way home.

"Yes Ma'am."

"Okay. Let's get you guys some food okay?"

"Really?" Shrieked Allie. "Thank you so much."

Ann walked through the grocery section, with the young girl telling her what she wanted her to buy. Ann wasn't going to just buy one meal, she was going to fill their fridge and cabinets.

Allie was a bit of a scamp and tried to convince Ann to buy more junk and snacks than real food, but Ann being a mother was having none of it.

"Look young lady," Ann said with a wry smile but feigning anger, "I will buy you some groceries, but it will not be chips and candy. I'm going to get you as much real food as we can fit in my trunk, and you'll just have to be happy with that."

Allie stepped up to her and hugged her. "I'm sorry. Thank you for the groceries. I didn't meant to push it and make you mad at me."

"I'm not mad sweetie. I'm just not going to be taken advantage of. Now let's finish up," Ann said as Allie pushed the stroller ahead. Allie didn't see her grab 2 packages of Oreos as they passed them.

As Ann loaded the last of the groceries on the check out belt, the cashier smiled at her and said, "You have beautiful children."

Allie was about to correct her when Ann said, "That's sweet, thank you."

Allie smiled and carried on keeping Davey occupied while Ann checked out. She gasped however, when the cashier said the total. It was over $300.

As they were putting bags in Ann's trunk, Allie asked, "Are you rich?"

"That's not a polite question to ask, Allie," Ann said while closing the trunk of her expensive Mercedes sedan. In fact she was rich thanks to her trust fund and investments, like the apartment complex next door.

"Sorry Ma'am."

"Let's just say I have enough money to buy your groceries and not be set back, okay?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"I have a booster seat for my son in the back that while not exactly legal for your brother, should be alright in a pinch. We'll put the stroller next to him and you can sit up front with me okay?

"Oh, we can walk back. It's not far. I don't want to get you in trouble." Allie was more concerned for her brother's safety but didn't want to say it and hurt Ann's feelings.

Ann thought for a moment and said, "No, it was a silly suggestion. You're right. Tell you what; I'll walk back with you and make sure you get back safely, then I'll come back for my car and drive over.

Allie smiled and agreed.

The walk was about 3 blocks and Ann used the opportunity to pry some more info out of the child.

"How long have you lived here?"

"Since my mom left us last year."

"Do you like it here?"

"I liked having my own room, but now I share it with Davey."

"You have a 2 bedroom unit then?" Ann asked and Allie nodded affirmatively.

"What did your dad do for work before your mom left?"

"He and mom had their own remodeling business. All I know is when mom left he had to sell a bunch of stuff. I don't know the details."

"When was the last time you saw your mom?"

"When she told Daddy she was leaving. I heard her talking to him and I kinda listened in so I ran to her as she went to the door to beg her to stay. She didn't even stop. I screamed for her but she kept going. Daddy still cries in his room sometimes. He thinks he is hiding it, but I can hear him sometimes sniffling."

Ann was fighting the tears in her eyes, listening to not only the pain, but the strength in this girl's voice.

"How old are you guys, Allie?"

"I just turned 12 in May and Davey will be 4 in September. This is our building here."

She pulled a key on a string from around her neck and opened the main door. "We are in 112, buzz the doorbell and I'll let you in when you get back."

"Okay, I won't be long."

As she was pushing Davey into their apartment, Allie said, "She's really nice and pretty Isn't she?

Davey smiled and nodded.

"I think Daddy will like her," Allie said as her stomach growled hungrily. Davey giggled at the sound, rubbing her stomach. "We'll eat as soon as she get here okay?"

"Okay."

***********

Ann pulled in, parked and started unloading. She carried as many bags as she could and hit the buzzer for unit 112.

Walking in, she noticed how clean the apartment was kept and smiled. "Do you do the housework too or just babysitting duty?"

"I help with whatever Daddy needs. I don't like him to come home to a mess after working so hard all day, so I make sure to clean up before he gets home."

"That's very good of you, dear. I'm going to get more bags, I think this will be a three or four tripper."

Allie put the last of the groceries away in the cabinets as Ann put the last of the cold items away in the fridge. Allie got a pot out and filled it with water for the Mac and cheese.

Ann interjected, "You're going to have more than mac and cheese right?"

Allie smiled and said, "Davey is kinda picky. I can only get him to eat Mac and cheese for lunch."

"What about you?"

"I am going to a make peanut butter and jelly sandwich now that we have some groceries." She stopped what she was doing and went into Ann's arms hugging her, "Thank you so much. You're such a nice lady. You're husband is a lucky guy."

Ann smiled and wondered if she was fishing, "No husband for me. I was married once, but it didn't work out," Ann said not willing to talk about the circumstances of her marital failure.

Allie thought she was perfect for her dad, if she could only get them together.

"What time do you think your dad will be home?" Asked Ann.

"He only works until 2 on Saturday. He will be home soon."

"Okay, do you mind if I wait for him?"

"No. You can have a sandwich with me."

Ann smiled and said, "Sure, I'll make them for us."

**********

Dave Lamers walked into the maintenance garage after finishing his duties for the day. Jake Grodski, the man in charge of the small crew, was waiting. Jake hated this part of the job, telling the part time guys that worked on an as needed basis that there wasn't any upcoming work.

"All set Dave?"

"Yeah, all set. What's in store for next week?"

"I'm really sorry Dave, we don't have enough work to keep you on."

Dave frowned and said, "Yeah, okay. You sure there's nothing I can do, even for a few hours?"

"I'm sure. You've really been lucky that we had steady work for you for so long. It's unusual."

"Okay, thanks. Please keep me in mind if anything at all needs doing."

"Absolutely, Dave. You do good work and work hard. I wish I could bring you on full time."

"Thanks Jake."

"Take care Dave. I hope something comes along for you. Here's what we owe ya. No need to wait until Friday for it.

"Me too, and thanks," he said as he took the paycheck from Jake.

'Now what am I gonna do?' Dave thought as he walked home. 'At least I got paid and can buy some food. I'll worry about rent later,' He thought sadly.

**********

Walking in the door, Dave saw Allie asleep on the couch with Davey in her arms. He smiled and thought, 'I'm so lucky to have them. I don't know if I could've made it if she took them from me.'

He was startled by Ann smiling at him standing in the kitchen.

"Hi, who are you?" He asked cautiously.

"I'm Ann. I met your wonderful children in Target this morning."

"Target?" He almost shouted. "She knows she can't leave the apartment."

Ann cut him off, "Well she went to get something for Davey to eat. Not herself, just Davey. She was concerned for him. That is some little girl you have there."

"Yes, yes she is. Look I'm sorry she got you involved. Thank you for getting them home. I'll find something for them to eat now, so you can..."

Ann cut him off again, "They ate. I made sure of it. Allie told me you work for the complex. Aren't you making enough to have something in the house to eat?"

She regretted the accusatory tone as soon as she said the words.

"Not that it's your business but I was making barely enough to pay rent, but not anymore. They don't have any more work for me. So if you don't mind, I'll ask you to leave now so I can hit the grocery store and get the want ads."

"Well, I've taken care of the grocery shopping for a while, so don't worry about that."

"What!" Dave shouted as he opened the fridge and saw what she had done.

"Damn it, you had no right."

"We were hungry Daddy," Allie said from behind. "She was very kind to us. I just wanted enough to get milk and mac and cheese. She spent over $300 on us."

Dave was angry. He glared at Ann and said, "Please leave me your address so I can send you your money back and then leave. You had no right to interfere."

Ann was shocked at what she was hearing. 'Does this man have so much ego and pride that he couldn't accept help,' she thought.

"Forget the money. I was glad to help," she said as she walked over and gave Allie a hug. "You remember what I told you Allie," she whispered in her ear. She turned and glared at Dave, "You have wonderful kids. Must've come from their mother's side." Allie gasped hearing that low blow.

Dave was so mad his face felt like it was on fire. "Leave now, please," He growled.

Ann felt a pang of sadness as she regretted what she said immediately and walked out of their lives.

***********

Ann pulled into the maintenance garage and parked. Looking around for her intended target, she walked purposefully towards the office door. "Jake," she called out approaching his office.

"Over here," he yelled as he wiped his hands. "Oh, hi Ms. Clayton. What can I do for you?"

"Jake I want you to hire Dave Lamers on full time."

"I'd love to Ma'am, but we don't have the work."

"It's not up for discussion Jake. Bring him on full time and at the top of the pay scale. If you don't have enough work, have him do an inspection on each of the units looking for repairs that need doing."

"Okay, Ma'am. Is he a friend of yours or something? Don't get me wrong, he busts his butt and I want him, but we don't have the budget for him."

"Leave the budget to me, and no he's not a friend. In fact if you asked him, he'd tell you that he hates my guts."

"Yes Ma'am. I'll have him on full time as of Monday, okay?"

"Perfect. Thanks, and under no circumstances tell him that I did this for him."

Confused, Jake said, "I won't say a word."

She nodded and turned back to her car.

"Ma'am?"

"Yes?"

"You're doing a great thing. He needed this more than you know."

"No, Jake. Sadly, I know exactly how bad it is for him."

**********

Ann walked up to the property manager's office and opened the door.

"Jenny?" She called out looking for the young lady running the office.

"Hi, Ann. Welcome back."

"Jenny, what can you tell me about Dave Lamers in F building, unit 112."

"Oh, that poor man with the cute kids. He came in a while back looking for a job on the crew. Jake didn't have anything but I think he is doing some stuff part time."

"Yeah, I just told Jake to bring him on full time."

"Good. He seemed desperate."

"Yeah, anyway; do we have any three bedroom vacancies?"

"Yes, two. One in A on the fourth floor and one in F on the first floor."

"Oh perfect. That's where they are now. I want them moved into that unit in F as soon as possible. I also want a 2 year lease drawn up with no rent charged to them."

"No rent?"

"That's right. I'll write a check for the rent lump sum for the entire term. Lie to him and tell him it's because of the job he got."

"Wow, okay."

"Let me know as soon as the lease is signed please."

"Sure thing. Ma'am? Is he a friend of yours?"

Ann laughed and for the second time that day said, "No, he hates my guts. You cannot tell him that I did this. Is that clear?"

"Smiling, Jenny said, "Crystal, Ma'am."

**********

Dave looked at his daughter crying and dropped into a chair to pull her in for a hug. Dave is a tall man at 6'4" towering over his little girl. She cried in his arms for what seemed like an eternity. Dave would die rather than have his baby upset.

"Daddy I'm sorry. Davey was crying because he was hungry and I didn't know what to do."

"Don't worry baby. I'm not mad at you, but next time wait for me. Instead of finding a nice lady buying groceries, you could've been kidnapped and taken from me. You can't leave the apartment when I'm gone. Do you understand?"

"Yes Daddy."

Dave's phone rang, interrupting them. "Hey Jake, what's up?"

"Great news, Dave. I was able to get you on full time starting Monday. You'll get a raise too."

"Wow, how? I thought there was nothing there? Did someone quit?"

"Uh, no. The boss told me after you left that our budget was increased, so now I have the room to bring you on."

"That's awesome. I appreciate it. Tell him thanks for me."

Laughing at Dave calling the beautiful Ann Clayton, "him," he finished, "Sure bud. See you at 8 sharp on Monday."

Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Hi Jenny, what's up?"

"Hi Dave," she said smiling at the handsome man. She always had to shake off her lust for him every time she saw him. Married women shouldn't have those feelings, she felt.

"Did you talk to Jake yet?"

"Yeah. Just now."

"Good. As part of the job, you're getting moved down the hall into 117. It's a perk the owner approved for you."

"Jake didn't say anything about a perk or new apartment."

"Well, that's my area not his I guess. You're getting a 2 year lease on a 3 bedroom with no rent owed."

Dave almost passed out.

"What did you say?"

"2 year lease with no rent owed. The owner approved it."

"Wow. I really have to thank him. I've never even met him. Is this something all employees get?"

"I can't talk about what others get, due to confidentiality. I suggest you keep it tight lipped as well. You never know if someone is worth more than others. There could be resentment."

Dave wasn't dumb. As soon as she said that, he knew it wasn't a normal perk for employees. He wisely didn't argue and signed the new lease.

***********

Ann was sitting alone in her home office drinking a glass of wine. She was reflecting over the excitement of her day. She couldn't understand the anger and dismissal that she received from Dave for buying groceries for them. She felt that it wasn't a handout, but for whatever reason he saw it that way. Knowing that he felt that way over a mere $300 in groceries, she knew he would never accept the job or free apartment, but she knew that she was in the right. That beautiful little girl and her brother needed her help and she was glad to do it. It didnt hurt that he was very handsome and very tall, which she would think anout in bed that evening.

At the same time, Dave was searching the internet trying to find out who the owner was. He wanted to thank him personally, but all he could get out of Jake and Jenny was that it was a private corporation and they kept the principals hidden.

Jake found the name of the company, ARC Realty Group, but couldn't find anything more than that. They didn't even have a website or phone listing. He wasn't going to give up though.

**********

Two months later, Dave and his family were settled into the new apartment. Allie was very excited to have her own room again.

Dave was unsettled with his job though. There clearly wasn't a need for him and many days they finished early with the daily duties and hung out in the garage.

One Friday afternoon Dave was painting the entrance sign that didn't need to be painted. He saw a car pass by and couldn't believe what he saw: that lady that bought them groceries. He jumped down off of the ladder and got in the golf cart he used to get around the complex. He tried to follow the car Ann was driving, but couldn't keep up. As he was giving up the chase he saw José coming towards him in his cart. As Jose passed Ann, Dave saw him wave to her. Ann turned into the Main Street and sped away.

"Hey Jose?"

"What's up, man?"

"You know that lady in the Mercedes?"

"Yeah man. That's the boss lady. She owns the whole place."

"No shit. What's her name?"

"Ms. Clayton."

"Thanks man. See you back at the garage."

'That bitch,' Dave thought. 'She had to meddle in my life.'

************

Dave walked in the door that afternoon and found the neighbor, Mrs. Jackson, watching over the kids. Mrs. Jackson was a godsend who lives in the complex and stayed with the kids while Dave worked. Allie was in school, but Davey was still too young, so Dave paid her to watch them. He could afford her then since he didn't have a rent payment.

"Hi, Mrs. Jackson. How's everything?"

"Good son. Allie is doing homework and Davey's being Davey."

"Good, thank you. See you tomorrow."

"Daddy!" Davey shouted coming out of his room.

"What's up, buddy boy? How was your day?"

"Fun, Daddy. We made cookies and I drew pictures."

"That's great buddy. Show me."

Davey ran off and Allie came into the living room.

"Hi, Daddy!" she said giving him a kiss.

"Hi, baby. How was school?"

"Same as always. My homework is done now."

"Good. I'll make some dinner shortly."

"Daddy, could we go for pizza?"

"I guess. Any particular reason?"

Allie smiled and said, "Nope. Just have a taste for Lou Malnoti's."

"Okay. Let me shower and we'll go."

**********

Ann was in a good mood after running into Allie as the young girl walked passed the office on her way home. She thought back to their conversation and couldn't help but feel good.

Bh76
Bh76
2,780 Followers