All Comments on 'Coming Home'

by carvohi

Sort by:
  • 49 Comments
johntcookseyjohntcooksey12 months ago

Weee doggie - I’m as happy as a gopher in soft dirt - A new story from Jedd Clampett! But, alas, work awaits, so ‘Coming Home’ will have to wait until the weekend. Great to see a new story. Thanks in advance.

BigJohn601BigJohn60112 months ago

It seems like forever since I have encountered one of your stories. For some reason I have always been able to identify with your main characters ....don't really know why but they just touch a chord within me. Maybe it is your rural scenery or the military or teaching connections but enjoy them all. Thanks.

WindySwimmingWindySwimming12 months ago

As a Navy Retiree, Vietnam War Veteran with combat action and Annapolis Man, Class of '71, this story strongly resonates for me. Thanks for an inspiring read. Five stars.

johntcookseyjohntcooksey12 months ago

Heaven help me, I peeked at the first page, and started reading, and couldn’t put it down until I finished (except for a frozen Totino’s pizza I choked down for lunch).

.

Sarah is just the latest in a long line of Carvohi’s too-good-to-be-true heroines. Leslie from ‘Infidelity’, Jeannie, from ‘Caden’s Tale’, Marsha Blackwell, etal. are just a few of my favorites.

.

‘Coming Home’ was a pleasure to read Thank you for sharing your words.

Rusty_MRusty_M12 months ago

22a day.

Thanks.

Demosthenes384bcDemosthenes384bc12 months ago

As a veteran, thanks for that! God, I've missed reading your stuff as you are one of the best on the site at getting into the head of your characters. Not sure how I would have done it, but the relationship side of the story was a little awkward. The PTSD side was brilliant and well played out! 5+*

AA20195AA2019512 months ago

Very thought provoking. , I'm 65 yrs old, never served but my father and father in law did in WW II . My old man in the Navy , he served on a Kaiser Carrier named Tarawa among other postings. My father in law was already in the Marines when we entered the war, he served in the Pacific on many islands including Iwo Jima .

I don't know why I am telling you about my background, but I concur with your conclusions that some of our recent

administration's and current House and Senate members have no integrity and that is what will destroy our country in the end.

Every time I see or hear about anything " Trump " it makes me want to puke.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Well done, beautiful and disjointed. Felt like I had another concussion reading it. Thank you 5*

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

I hated the story, but I love the writing, the characters, and the reality.

5-stars is a bare minimum.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Real. Thanks. More than 5. A loving wife.

My f-in-law was a sniper in WWII. I had been a soldier; in the last years of his life he talked to me. Pennsylvania farm boy drafted at 18, served in North Africa, Italy, D-Day, A Ross France, down the Rhine to Switzerland. No leave. I grew to understand that he was afraid if his wife and children knew the reality of what he had done, they would not be able to love him. He was wrong, but I will never break his trust.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Outstanding tale! I saw a lot of my Wife in Sarah. A strong woman should be valued above all else!

Well done! 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Carvohi is a great story teller. This one seems a little uncertain at times, but it’s still a fine read. And especially in times like this, I love his patriotism, even if he oversimplifies the country’s problems. (It’s more than bad leaders. We really are a divided people.) But that’s a whole different story. This one’s a romance. It’s high level Hallmark, and Hallmark, when handled right, has its uses. Five stars.

woodrangewoodrange12 months ago

awesome story. Thank you

BlueFox007BlueFox00712 months ago

Five stars. I’m a Viet Nam War veteran and know Brooke Army Medical Center well. Without my wife standing beside me, I don’t know if I would have survived. Many didn’t. I can not forget my commanding officer telling me when we were going to drive to a job interview for after my discharge “Leave your military uniform here. Wearing it off base is not safe. Neither you nor your wife deserve to be spit on or attacked.” This story captured much of the angst my colleagues and I experienced. Thank you for a wonderfully told story.

Paiger123Paiger12312 months ago

Your style reminds me of Salinger. 😀

Tx77TumbleweedTx77Tumbleweed12 months ago

Certainly some truths in there and a story that needs telling more often. 5 stars

A_BierceA_Bierce12 months ago

It's hard to read and hold your breath at the same time, but I managed for 9 pages. Travis was a wounded warrior who didn't know how (or whether) to heal himself, but friends and family rallied around and Sarah never gave up. He'll most likely never tell her often she interrupted his final retreat and she'll probably have to comfort him through the periodic nightmares, but they complete each other. Thank you so much, sir; I want to believe.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

A very good story - how much is fiction? Not sure, but seems to accurate to be totally untrue. I'm an Aussie, both parents in the RAAF (Air Force) in WW2. I have a close friend who was in Viet Nam & served with US forces there, he's still got health problems from that time. I don't believe we treat our veterans right. they should be looked after better than they are, and the politicians should be given MUCH LESS!!!

rapco55rapco5512 months ago

Thank you. So many veterans have problems like in the story and don't get help.

OvercriticalOvercritical12 months ago

This was a real work of passion. No trivial vehicle for a sex scene. Having served for a few years in the Army (Capt. USAR - no combat) I can certainly identify with the strong feeling of support for my country mixed with exasperation with the dummies who ask: "who's Harry and who's Dwight". And recognize that since George H W Bush we haven't had a president who has served in the military. (George W was associated with the Air National Guard, but he wasn't really a military man at all. Clinton, Obama, Trump and Biden wouldn't know one end of a rifle from the other. That's 30 years without a president with any military credentials. Unbelievable!) For Travis to become an officer he'll have to get a degree and that's going to be hard work for a non-academic person like him. Sarah will certainly help, but it will be tough. And if he can do something for his country and fellow citizens it will indeed be worth it. I'm not sure I've read anything in Literotica with the pull this story had on me, but it was well received. Kudos to Carvohi who usually has a good story to tell, but this was something different. 5*, of course.

Monagamous_NowMonagamous_Now12 months ago

Damn. This was a great story. I felt like I was in his head. The story really spoke to me. Thank you, Jed.

It goes without saying, but this is clearly a 5 star entry!

RanDog025RanDog02512 months ago

Dang, it's been awhile Mr. Carvohi! You started out kind of rocky but it fit with your Character perfectly. You wrote one hell of a story. So much so that I give you thanks and 5 BIG ASS FUCKING HUGE FLAMING NOVA STARS! I served for almost 10 years and can't receive bennies due to my records being sealed. The Bastards. Thanks for the story!

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

My father did four tours in Vietnam - the only time I can recall seeing a sign of PTSD was at a Fourth of July fireworks display right after the last when he dropped to the ground when the first mortat launched a shell. With him, it was what he didn't say. We sat down the last night I saw him before he died and he opened up - by that time I was working at a high level on a project for DoD related to the counterinsurgency doctrine and knew enough he could relate it.

The alienation isn't a new thing - Eric Dean published a great book, "Shook Over Hell," which examined the issue of PTSD and other mental health issues among Civil War veterans, using excellent records on those veterans from Indiana. Dean found that the problem was actually WORSE among Civil War vets than those from the Vietnam War - the higher intensity of the conflict (four times as many were killed in one day at Antietam as at Pearl Harbor or on 911), brutal conditions leading to serious physical health issues even in non-combat preiords and postings, etc.

Comentarista82Comentarista8212 months ago

I loved the story, and I could partly relate to the PTSD, as I had two uncles that I was very close to, that served in WWII: one drank, likely to forget what he saw (and it killed him); another drank partly to reduce the pain he suffered from crippling arthritis, and the rest was to forget about the war. Neither ever talked to me nor anyone else about it that I ever knew.

I believe many wanted to skip any commentary on strictly the writing part, so due in part to that, I feel I must and I will. The story is remarkable and I rated 5 based on the good "legs" it runs on; however, one thing that you should keep in mind to smooth out the reading flow is to master using the semicolon: sometimes you use it properly to separate related-idea independent clauses; other times you use it like it's a colon; sometimes you list a sentence fragment after it. Another thing: it mainly happened in the first 2-3 pages, but eliminate extra detail that doesn't help the narrative. A prime example would be the paragraph dedicated to "Old Bay" seasoning; while it was fascinating, it added nothing to story and leaves it to the reader to filter it out.

Where you excelled is how you depicted Travis, with his scattered thoughts and repeated doubts. The nightmares and flashbacks at random times certainly reflect the PTSD--especially where he decked that guy in the grocery store--and then went running out from the shock. Then to tackle the military side of it, the honor in the story, and the loyalty from such a redheaded angel like Sarah...yeah, he deserved her and she wanted him! I doubt there was a single person NOT rooting for the two of them. What choked me up was the overwhelming gratitude they showed him for his service, and the patience by all to help see him through to a good end. That's why I rated this a 5. Nicely done!

FljimFljim12 months ago

I am not sure why but this one got to me. If I could give it more stars I would. It's obvious you know your way around Delmar. I was all over that area as a teenage and college. My Wilmington family had a place in Oceanview and still do. The otherside in Oak Orchard. Visited there few years ago. It's changed a lot. I was surprised it was the local for your story. I have enjoyed your works here and will have to read more to see if you used this setting before. Thanks for the story. It was great.

TechumsahTechumsah12 months ago

Good to see you back sir. Great story, I do not know if you have experienced it or not but there are some pretty good description of the trauma involved. The survivors guilt, the regret, the monster....he isn't strong he just never stops. I hope all my brothers and sisters out there can keep the monster at bay. I have unfortunately attended more veteran's funerals than soldiers. That is so much worse.

Great story hopefully there will not be as long an absence till your next.

Schwanze1Schwanze112 months ago

Great story but McCain?

KenfromIndyKenfromIndy11 months ago

Great story! Well done story, characters and dialogue - worthy of reading again!!! A mix of fiction fact and truth! Sadly we can only hope the best days of the country are not in the past!? As was said ‘A Republic, If you can keep it’ has never been true than it is today!

Please do keep writing and I will keep reading.

des911des91111 months ago

Good one. Thank you

Ironman52Ironman5211 months ago

Nicely done. 5*

Simon_MastersSimon_Masters11 months ago

Difficult read, I'd argue your best work.

carvohicarvohi11 months agoAuthor

I am so pleased about all the comments. I was afraid this story would be treated differently. It means a lot hearing from all of you.

Thank you all so much.

carvohi

fritz51fritz5111 months ago

Not what I was looking for when I started this, but I couldn't stop. I'm often disgusted with the lip service we (all of us, politicians and all) we give our veterans. The suicide rate among our finest is abysmal. They deserve more. They deserve better. Thank you carvohi for reminding us what memorial is supposed to be about. 5 stars

teedeedubteedeedub11 months ago

Difficult read. I cannot imagine what our veterans go through but we all need to be reminded. War is Hell.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percy11 months ago

Glad to see a new story by you! I hope you write another soon. We all need support from our family and friends.

5

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Excellent story, important subject. Well done

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

ChopinesqueChopinesque10 months ago

Very good. I like the happy ever after endings. Trav and Sarah are great characters. Those who serve honorably and their families deserve the good endings.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

You had me until you disrespected Robert E.Lee who put his conviction above his own self interest.

WillowghbyWillowghby8 months ago
Disjointed

...just like the thoughts rolling through your head. Beautifully done with the anticipated improvement in clarity and organization of those thoughts after the Arlington visit. Our MC matured.

Must be a great story to get me to read through 9 pages. Thanks Carvohi for a really well written story. Looking forward to many more in the future.

Keep 'em comin'!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I thought the trauma of war was well presented. The girl that was shot. I sat with a veteran as e tearfully told me almost that exact situation, though it was a young boy in Viet Nam. When a enemy uses innocent civilians... The story still haunts me. I s told that story nearly 50 ears ago

Thanks for a well earn 5* story.

The Hoary Cleric

RePhilRePhil3 months ago

From one old timer to another, thanks for the 14 years of stories you have shared with us. Heartfelt best wishes in 2024

Merlin_the_MagicianMerlin_the_Magicianabout 2 months ago

The story would not allow me to assign you a 5 star rating so you won it posthumously. I loved the story as I learned much more about PTSD and its complexities and its vagueries which is what makes it so difficult to diagnose. It was interesting that his symptoms lessened while his personal involvement with others increased. From having no direction when he left for his trip to the West to developing a new found direction in his life was interesting to watch. I enjoyed watching his journey from a nearly total void to re- discovering his place in life. I have to take umbrage with you on an extremely important error in your thinking. Context is everything in life. An officer and a gentlemen in the 1850’s and 1860’s American Military had one overriding concern in life. This concern was whether his military commitment was to his State or the Union. Lee spent long weeks trying to decide if his heart’s commitment was to Virginia or to the United States government which showed every inclination of invading the Southern States to put their policies ahead of the commitment to the individual states. In 1850, nearly every American officer’s commitment and allegiance was to their state government which then authorized the United States Government to function. Prior to 1860 States gave the power to the Federal Government. Making the decision to back Virginia and other southern states against the Federal Government took a terrible toll on Bob Lee’s health, wealth and political views. Lee lost all his family wealth, power, influence and property as the Union Government stripped Lee of his plantation and turned it into Arlington National Cemetery in an attempt to make a mockery of Lee’s decision but inadvertently made a wonderful tribute to the lives lost during the war. Your statement about Robert E Lee’s decision didn’t take into account the context but also, your statement didn’t dilute the effect of the story of PTSD to any degree. Still a great story with the one little context blip. Keep up the good work. MtM

FlamethrowFlamethrowabout 2 months ago

A beautifully low-key, slow-burner of a love story and a man finding his way in life and his place in it with the help and love of his family and close friends.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 month ago

I served in the British Forces saw * action" and inaction too. I finished my time and was signed off by an officer I had never met before. I was never given the feeling I had achieved anything no one said " thanks for your service " that alone started my depression again . It's been 40 years and I now live in another country. On my retirement I was thanked for the service in the British forces for keeping Europe safe during my time in the cold war I still think about those times Plus of course all the other places I served.

Thanks for the great story... Jim

AnonymousAnonymous11 days ago

A personal Odessey, more internal than worldly. Are such women of mature character sill being made?

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous