All Comments on 'Confession of Adultery'

by FrancisMacomber

Sort by:
  • 227 Comments
looking4itlooking4itover 9 years ago
Not sure why

This was a story where I just didn't like any if the characters, not a one. I can't put my finger on why exactly. Some for obvious reasons, but Father Mac just didn't seem to engage me.

LickideesplitLickideesplitover 9 years ago
Good ending!

A lot more evangelical than I usually appreciate, but it was outweighed by a Barrett (and a bullet that looks like a flashlight.) Thanks for the read!

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 9 years ago
This is a sad one

I usually really like Mac's stories, but this one is difficult. I think L4it is correct - none of the characters were likable. Sad to see two people ruin three people's lives and negatively affect a whole community. Mac must have been a dark mood when he wrote this one. The husband was correct in his reasoning about leaving the wife, though.

mike9698mike9698over 9 years ago
shouldve shot the prick

right in the balls.

connoisseur29connoisseur29over 9 years ago
****

I don't know what the credit numbers were for this story, but I'd give it a 450 at the very least. Colleen got off too easy. Her actions should have gotten her blackballed (tarred and feathered back in the day). Yeah, I'm a BTB sort. Different sort of tale for sure. I liked it. Cheers!

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 9 years ago
Fantastic

Well written, and the storyline is well thought out and exciting, although the ending was sad.

Just a really good story, and I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I would have shot them

But fuck the sniper rifle. I'd have used my 12 gauge and dumped some double ought buckshot into Carters privates and birdshot into colleens face. If they died, they died. If not, all the better. Then, I'd have pled PTSD triggered by the behavior and demanded a jury.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 9 years ago
Violation of Chekhov's loaded gun rule for playwrights ?

Mac used his rifle by the end of story, but the reader only found out after the fact. I did enjoy the complexity of Mac's character and the interactions with most of the supporting cast. The carnal dynamic between Colleen and Carter was VERY graphic and well written, probably too much so for the moral fanatics and who like to cruise porn sites in their down time, but oh well.

Speaking as a character complexity fanatic, I do wish Carter and Colleen's wherewithals were examined as completely as Father Mac's. How did she become so vulnerable to his sway ? Where did Carter learn to push those erotic buttons ?

This is STILL a five star story, no doubt, but it could have been hall of fame if Francis Macomber had extended his very considerable talent and given an extra dimension to his less considerate characters. I would like to close on a positive by saying Mac's military flashbacks were compressed, but rang very authentic. Would love a sequel ! This reluctant fighting Father's adventures are not quite done yet . *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Out-fucking-standing

Bravo

5x5x5

firemanlitfiremanlitover 9 years ago

Page 6, the last 6 paragraphs. A wonderful teaching of God's love and forgiveness.

FrancisMacomber's best. I seldom give stars, this got 5 of them

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
BS

Great story for Readers Digest, but sorry, this ending: not here, wrong venue. Just screams BS. 1*

FD45FD45over 9 years ago

Very nicely done. Lots of angst, and I enjoy that.

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
THE BURNING BUSH HOLDS MORE THAN FIRE AND LIGHT

but each of us has to find it for themselves. TK U MLJ LV NV

CharlieB4CharlieB4over 9 years ago
Sorry,

Never really got into it. Just a skimmer. 3*

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Confused

I thought in Christianity only Catholics had priests and the protestants had minister. Also, I thought only Catholics did the confession thing.

AdferAdferover 9 years ago

A brilliant plot, well thought out and beautifully written. One of the best good v. evil stories that I have ever read. It certainly wasn't a 'skimmer', rather it is good enough to study as an example of how to write a good short story.

rightbankrightbankover 9 years ago
When he talked to her sister and the hotel front desk

he should have driven to the beach

set up his rifle with the tripod

and taken out all three of them with one shot.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 9 years ago
one more thing !

The concept of a minister who is trying to.heal within from PTSD incurred by past military service even as he strives to be of service to society at peace. This is rich with possibilities. I would love to see a romantic story as Mac deals with past and present trauma, dealing with his flock with all their inherent problems and hopefully finding and courting a woman appreciative of his worth as a peaceful warrior.

I really enjoyed the so-called throwaway scenes of Mac making his rounds to homeless shelter assistant manager, the retired United Fund CEO , the bank president with a civic conscience and members of his congregation. These people make a positive difference, without fanfare. It was nigh-inspired of Francis Macomber to give them critical and crucial time in the plot.

sugnasugnaover 9 years ago
Stupid and Crazy Wife

A very well written story and good timing on the plot. Not very much tension towards the end because we really don't care if he kills Carter and goes on the run or to jail. Here's the big problem; his wife must be crazy or stupid to go for a creep like Carter. He is repellent. The whole idea that he could simply command her into sex is ridiculous. She would have to be an idiot or extremely mentally ill. In either case, this would not be the strong woman that saved a troubled vet from PTSD and brought him back to life! This is a major flaw the in the plot. Have you ever known any men or women who have cheated? I can break them down into two categories: 1. Those that cheat because they are selfish, immature, and not too bright. The do not really think ahead as to the result of their cheating and really do not care very much about whatever might happen. 2. Those that cheat because they feel that they are being neglected by their spouse and want out of a bad marriage. By your description, Colleen does not really fit either of these two types. Her character is manipulated by the needs of the plot into something unbelievable. Why bother? Why not make her real? All the tension you could have gained by making her a freak was lost as soon as she began cheating.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Four stars, a couple flaws.

Tone down the rubbing his nose in it stuff, make it subtle. Stretch out the seduction and make the guy more attractive, maybe tall, distinguished, big where it counts.

EngineCo1EngineCo1over 9 years ago
Very Good

Very, very, very good story.

You batted this one way out of the park!

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
RELIGION AND CHARITY FOUNDATIONS

throw in Politics and you have a triumvirate of greed, envy & mismanagement, TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
excellent story !!!

but i do hope you put a part two, a sort of closure on both of them, the ending seems hurried on this one.

KarenEKarenEover 9 years ago
Submissive?

I'm not done yet, but thing about Carter's seduction puzzles me:

Supposedly Colleen's big responsibilities give her a need to submit.

Yet Carter has even GREATER responsibilities, yet HE doesn't need to submit?

impo_58impo_58over 9 years ago
I think like @sugna...

Nothing in the story pointed to the wife being just a submissive woman, with no self-respect, no will. But I think the story needs some more beyond the miracle...After all the town was small...What happened to the weak wife? Killed herself? That's what a weak woman would do...What punishment God sent to the man that was the incarnation of evil?

paulroverpaulroverover 9 years ago
How good a sniper is he?

Could he amputate a penis and testicles from, say, 500 yards.

Good story.

fausttusfausttusover 9 years ago
excellent

great writing. excellent story.

I see why so many want a second chapter. Characters well defined and relateable, story held up and moved along nicely. Everything was tied up here.

thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Good, but frustrating

Overall, this was an excellent and well thought out story. I wish there were more stories of this quality on the site. That said, some things bothered me. Carter is totally evil, yet he gets off scot free. Presumably, he goes to some other town and ruins people's lives there. Being forced to sign a resignation isn't going to slow him down. Secondly, the "short man complex" was overdone. Near the end, he actually rails about how tall the priest is. It beggars belief anyone could be so evil to someone in large part because they're merely taller! Finally, the religious ending was cheesy. Is the author so religious and sappy to think the woman bringing the papers was an "angel" in some sense? Talk aboug grasping at straws to justify one's religious beliefs. Sheesh. What about other good people in other similar cases, when there is no timely "sign"? Has God forsaken them? As an apparent morality tale, this sucks. The evil guy gets off with a brief scare, and the good guy loses his wife and resorts to religious delusions to continue to justify helping others as a priest. Yeay.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Wow

What a fabulous piece of work. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Great!

Don't listen to the naysayers. One of the best ever on this site. Nothing is perfect, but for this genre it just about gets there.

TheUnoriginalistTheUnoriginalistover 9 years ago
Fantastic

Really well done. My only comment is that it can sometimes be fun to leave us wondering about the extent of betrayal...finding out alongside the character...rather than revealing the whole thing as it happens.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
A good, well written story

But so damn depressing. Nothing but shattered lives.

Tim413413Tim413413over 9 years ago
What an absolutely

excellent and extremely well-written story. I was, for a couple of paragraphs, afraid he would take her back. Best ending possible?

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Research

Your characters are believable. love your work. your research paid off.

fanfarefanfareover 9 years ago
an interesting work...

....resulting in a lot of controversy. Good job, FM! Very well written and interesting characters.

KarenE did bring up an interesting point. It is cuneiformed in baked mud in the Literotica stories, that powerful women invariably can be turned into submissive sluts by powerful men. That is in fictional stories usually written by powerless men.

In Real Life, it is male executives and power brokers who purchase the services of dominatrix chastisement and discipline.

As in the Loving Wives genre, the male authors and their fans blatantly display their subconscious needs to be degraded, by twisting around the male and female roles of the fictional characters.

Real Life Clark Kents fantasizing about being Superman. And when that wish goes unfulfilled, then pretending they can purchase super powers as in Batman or Ironman. "See! This big shiny gun/sports car/barstool shows the world that I have a big, shiny dick!"

RonG1941RonG1941over 9 years ago
Second:

I second what everyone else has said. GREAT!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
rushed ending

You spent so much of time detailing everything, especially the sex BUT you rushed the ending. The ending seemed like an anti climax. You did not explore the aftermath of the destruction of the marriage. You chose not to focus on the betrayal. Your ending was rushed...as though you just wanted to end this story. Unforgivable. A 5* rating but you showed your "immaturity" as a writer by rushing the end. Sad and perhaps unfair comment for a brilliant writer.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago

A lot of good story telling, but per usual the ending was flat. All this build up to leave it dangling in the cold fall wind.

Sad

patilliepatillieover 9 years ago
This one was flat for me

Just couldnt get worked up over the infidelity, the woman was doing all sorts of crazy stuff, and the story didnt really have an explanation for that. Ending a bit of a fizz as well,

Very nicely written, held my attention throughout, but just didnt give me the emotional payoff I look for.

Sloburn38Sloburn38over 9 years ago
I haven't had that strong of a reaction since reading the kite runner

I was on my way to Washington and literally threw the book across the airplane. I guess I am lucky there wasn't a Air Marshall flying that day.

I had pretty well made up my mind that if that snarky POS wasn't dead at the end I wasn't reading anymore of your stories, no matter how much I enjoy them. I let it pass since I believe he had a heart attack and died at a filling station on the interstate when a old truck backfired.

Good story, and fully engaging as always.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Implemented!

From Duna!

1. The Positive: I am tired from stories where the loverboys are ministers/priests/vicars or the wives of the vicars/priests/ministers are sluts and the husbands are either wimps or ignorants.

A good story with a sexual majority husband clerical person who is a HUMAN and not a hypocrit! I gave 5***** for this!

2. The Negative I am tired from stories where the Authors let us their readers with unfinished stories. The LW is the collection of the unfinished stories. Unfortunatally very few authors take their stories to an end. I think the true end a story with a sexual majority husband with a cheating wife where the husband divorces the cheating wife that how the husband reaches the neutrality to the exwife. I do not think of MattMoreau's eternal forgivinnes stories, but the found happiness with another woman! I think the true solution for the sexual majority husband with cheating wife stories is the refound happiness with another woman and the consequence story authors should think of this sequel to their stories!

Richie4110Richie4110over 9 years ago
Outfuckingstanding!!

Wonderfully crafted, beautifully developed characters, emotionally charged drama. My heart swelled as the story creasted. I will reread this one again just for the passion it instills in me.

Solid 5* effort.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Interesting...

Interesting main character you have developed. I hope he continues in more stories along the lines of your Miz Sarah series.

PS. Wouldn't mind another Miz Sarah story either!

pumpop201pumpop201over 9 years ago
Great story

Thanks for a great story. Could we see more of Father Mac in the future?

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 9 years ago
As always a well written piece

I agree with what others have said about the wife, her actions and the "seduction" just didn't ring true.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
karen you are missing the main point

white/western women always hurt and degrade and abandon there husbands. it is not about submissive it is about inflicting pain on her spouse through her sexual acts, i dont know of one..just one man who has never had his wife try to hurt and destroy him for kicks/mind-game, from the western world.

The evil of the Christianity is "turn the other cheek", stay a nigger or a wasp or a bitch, a kike jew, shoot my little kid in the head in the school yard and rush to forgiveness. the purity of hate,anger, of righteous rage is almost gone. what is wrong with saying "I hate you and wish you dead or that i had never met you"..... and whats more they(spouses) did not fight it or back, to look into the cheaters eye and spit is showing a pure love for yourself, but in this he takes it...move on but never forgive anymore, all she had was regret not remorse.

My last sexiest statement is all married western women know is regret not remorse, never sorry they got kids, never sorry they never spoke up to save marriages.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Best story I have read in ages

Father Mac? Yeah, we need more about Father Mac, I think, please.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Great story, 5*

And for all the folks who assert that the story has a weak ending, I have a word for you......epiphany. Look it up, you might get it.

FrancisMacomber- great job on the story. The ending was wonderful, but it seems a lot of folks did not get it. Maybe I should capitalize Word. :)

bruce22bruce22over 9 years ago
I liked it.

Very powerful story line. A bit exagerated but always with underlying tension. The villain was a psycho and the priest was a human being. Excellent ending but I would really enjoy accompanying his road to happiness.

maninconnmaninconnover 9 years ago
Another Macomber gem

Thanks!

7daysuntil7daysuntilover 9 years ago
@FrancisMacomber YOU ARE A WORK OF ART!!!

The wife got off easy. She should have been shot along with Harrison.

THIS WAS A GREAT STORY

5 STARS

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
I just do not get the burn the bitch crowd.

Why do they want blood so much? This is a story and we get divorced we do not normally kill people over this.he ended it. perfectly . She paid for her infidelity ,even though a little far fetched. She lost a good man and now must live with her pain. But this Carter character will go on destroying lives. So who will deal with him in the future. He got away to strike again. So life goes on . Who ever said life was fair and justice is rarely served.

IronDragonIronDragonover 9 years ago
Not your best work, FM.

It was good, but not as good as a lot of your tales. Wifey got off a bit too easy, as did Asshole. There weren't any really likeable characters in this one, either. You're a great writer, but this one, as I said up top, wasn't your best work.

4 Stars.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago
Loved it

absolutely amazing. Five stars. Your best ever. One of the best I've read on this site, if not the best. I didn't want it to end. This could easily be turned into a full length novel. A truly rich storyline.

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago

Everyone take notice. FM just raised the standard for excellence.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Don't try to mix oil with water.

I'm all for the "women want to be dominated" theme as any other lecher pervert, but it is obviously a male fantasy that cannot be taken seriously, and can only be detrimental to a serious story about infidelity and betrayal. It's hard to blame Colleen and Harrison for a crime that is purely a male bull-shit that is designed strictly for erotic entertainment. Frankly, I am surprised that this story is written by FrancisMacomber who is known for writing realistic and non-erotic cheating wives stories. I don't think the deviation into erotic territory is a good thing.

starmanfivestarmanfiveover 9 years ago
This is simply divine!

Maybe this is the best story here! I can't begin to talk about the fine points of this story, but I will try. The Rico story about the insidious nature of using children for bait to catch sympathetic G.I.s to kill them. What about the confession of the bull to his priest, the very priest who is married to the adulteress. This is a very sad story, but it held some hope in the last paragraph. Five big stars!!!!!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
beautifully written

This story was great. If you could, you should do a follow up on this story. A

RePhilRePhilover 9 years ago
Wonderful writing as usual

I would agree with the last comment that this story begs to be continued! Beautifully built characters as these shouldn't be so quickly abandoned. Thanks for continuing to share your excellent stories with us!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
My 2 Cents

I had hoped hubby would have gone to his superior and explained the situation in general terms. The superior tells him the confession was bogus and therefore no confidentiality applies, nor is he limited in protecting his sacred marriage vows. He then takes care of business. Loved your story too

VickieTernVickieTernover 9 years ago
Mac was really made for her,

obviously. She married a ruthless, calculating killer -- exactly what her -- rather exaggerated -- sexuality needed despite herself. A man who overcompensated his viciousness after the war by becoming all bread and milk and godly. But now that they both at last know what most gratifies them both, why shouldn't they get together again forever? He was as vulnerable to provocation in his way as she was, and acted with enormous violence similarly. Blown up or reamed out, they now each inhabit worlds with huge holes. He nevertheless kept his confessional secrets, and she repeatedly turned her other cheeks. So how are they not nearly perfect for each other?

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333over 9 years ago

I do think that a minor theme of this tale is that we are all flawed. Clearly the wife is. She even refers to the drug addicts she works with, who are. And Mac himself knows he is flawed. But the overarching theme is that of redemption. He is redeemed in the beginning. Mac thinks it is his wife that saved him. In actuality, it was the prayer offered by his dying friend that led him to seminary, and led him to his wife. Quite simply, it was God orchestrating all those actions. So in the end when he seems to lose faith, he realizes that once again God orchestrated the old women coming to see him. And again, he is saved. So in a story of redemption, where everyone is flawed, how can we leave the wife in such a lost state? This tale does beg for more. But please, not some sappy epilogue that has them getting back together. She has to find redemption - to find the hand of God orchestrating her life. That takes a whole different tale. In the end, if he has truly found God, he should be able to find his way back to her.

njlaurennjlaurenover 9 years ago
One big problem

Is,frances made a big mistake with the relgion angle.The episcopal church is not the catholic church,there is no sacrament of confession he could violate cause,there is,no confession,and there is,no such thing as excommunication.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
military aspect

Next time you write a story with a military angle, visit your local recruitment office and have them vet it for BULLSHIT. Learn what Barretts are used for and what they're NOT. Learn the likelihood of one being checked out of the armory with no one noticing. Learn how quick the BATF would investigate any domestic usage of a .50cal. If the story lacked exposition before (what, besides an overblown Napoleonic complex, drove the antagonist), this really nullified any suspension of disbelief. And the amazing thing is, you otherwise have the ability to write.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
An exceptional story, but ...

Colleen came to the Father's rescue in his time of need but the Father can't reciprocate when his wife needs his support.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 9 years ago
What varied readers you have!

Excellent story, Harrison is so evil, and the wife so clueless, I am torn. On the one hand I would have liked more nuance in the wife and her lover. On the other hand, this was really good, and some exaggeration makes for good stories.

Really good writing, FM,

Chilley

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
You write so well...

..it's too bad your story wasn't better thought out.

I'm not going to waste my time or yours to explain that, because I think you know exactly where you got lazy and let us down.

You should spend time in the brig for conduct unbecoming a decent writer.

Really, this one was just too messed up in too many ways to allow many of us to suspend disbelief......at all.

Shame, shame, FM.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
fcuk it all

loved the story , blah,blah,blah

this is wrong, that could be better, blah,blah,blah.

liked the way you did X , thought Y was fantastic, blah,blah,blah

but what really strikes me , the story was posted 3 days ago & has 70 comments, and nearly 20,000 views. thats an awesome response to any tale.

xxxhugsxxx

OneShotOneOneShotOneover 9 years ago
Reconciliation of a Penitent (private confession)

Is one of the seven sacrements of The Episcopal Church.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
3*s

Good story. Nice creative touch on the characters.

The plot was rushed. Lacking development of interaction and history between the different persons. Needed more between husband & wife. Husband and parishioners. Friends and members of the charity with the protagonist and/ or his wife. But I can see that would have made the story an additional 5 or 6 pages longer.

Gladly, I await your next story as

AMerryMan

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
OR MAYBE 4*S

After reading the other comments, I believe a continuation story is deserved. Not,necessary it be a sequel.

The wife was left seriously mentally and emotionally damaged. The husband ,Mac, I ( like other commentators) want to see where he goes to from here. Very interesting.

Carter Harrison another great ( sic) Chicago mayor. Nice touch that. Ha ha

AMerryMan

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
3*s ????????

Is this DWornock with a new screen name?

krosis666krosis666over 9 years ago
Harrison was right

Mac WAS a pussy! He talked big, but when it came right down to it, he was a pussy.

Also

Has the U.S really become a war-mongering nation? Because, according to almost all authors here, EVERYONE in the states has served in the military! And not as grunts either, because, apparently, they ALL become expert snipers! No tank drivers, or pilots. No medics or cooks. Not ever leaders! Just an army of snipers going to war! Hell, even the fucking priests are snipers here! It seems to be the single biggest, and most profitable industy in the country! Doesn't anyone work, or go to school any more? Or does everyone just want to pick up a gun and play real-life video games where they can go kill some 'gooks'? Lit authors seem to think so!

Really guys, come up with something new, once in a while! The Chuck Norris'Hero from Iraq' routine is getting very old. How about something other than the 'Killer with a heart of gold, that saved the entire western hemisphere single handedly, while carrying an orphanage on his back, and simultaneously killing every terrorist that ever lived with a spoon' plot, from time to time. You know, that old thing about variety and all!

krosis666krosis666over 9 years ago
And before you jump all over me

I'm not belittling the military, (o.k., maybe a little bit), but rather, the authors here. I'm just tired of reading the same weak plot device, over and over again. Superhero super-soldiers than can kill you using their left eyebrow, yet are so emotionally weak and lacking in confidence that they are incapable of making a simple fucking decision? It doesn't fit. People that are trained to kill are also trained to be quick thinking and decisive! Someone that trains for years to shoot you without conscience, people that spend years in a combat situation killing people tend to have self-confidence! Except here.

It doesn't work, because you can't have someone that faces death on a daily basis, have them responsible for other people's lives, have them kill without a second thought, and THEN turn around and have them be weeping little girls that let events drag on and pass them by, seemingly incapable of looking after themselves!

If one of your main plot points is ridiculous, then the rest of the story is pointless!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good author

The negative comments do not do you justice as an insightful author. This story is good, and deserves a sequel or an epilogue. The fact that Collene was there at his lowest point in life should bear on her need now at her lowest point. Adultery is never right, but a predator seduced her to attack Mac indirectly. Addiction can take many forms, and she needs Mac more than ever now for love and recovery.

She was totally humiliated at the hotel, and knows now she needs treatment. If God can send an accountant to Mac at his time of need, He can also heal her addiction and their marriage. She deserves a second chance, and they belong together. Enough said. +5

The DJ

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Author - this was/is a great story. Unfortunately, the skank wife did not commit suicide but overall is was great.

Well done! This hopefully balances a fraction of the cuck bullshit that the fuck-up moderators do not care about. Assholes! And to the cuck authors - may you roast in hell along with the skanks/slut want-to-be cheaters.

OnethirdOnethirdover 9 years ago
A great one

This was one of the best stories I've read on this sight- don't sweat the idiot Anons who just want another formulaic BTB story. I especially liked the confession angle- that has some real future possibilities, and I wish I had thought of it. Please keep writing work of this quality- your definitely on my favorite authors list.

LostOneThereLostOneThereover 9 years ago
the last Anon... you have absolutely no idea about how rifles, cartridges, and bullets

work.

If you were the target, and were struck by a round... perhaps you would feel the energy transference during impact (pressure) and depending on where the round hit you you 'might' hear the report of the weapon that fired the bullet.There are no squeaks, vips, or any other noise from a round that actually struck you. You can only hear the ones that miss you. Reason: the round is moving FASTER than sound can travel. Make sense???? Also, to the best of my knowledge, there very few confirmed kills at 1.5 miles (~2700 yards). Most are done at much shorter ranges. At 1.5 miles most likely you'd never hear a sound from the weapon that fired. The world isn't exactly a quiet place.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Some people just don't get it.

I enjoyed your story but I far more enjoyed the message you delivered. Those who made incredibly juvenile disparaging remarks obviously are so tied up in their black-and-white world that they cannot understand the true meaning of your story. Forgiveness is sometimes a gift you give to yourself not to those you forgive. All too often people today get so tied up in their hatred that they lose all sense. Your story was well written and thought provoking what more can any author ask. Thank you for the hard work and creativity you put into your writing and thank you for sharing it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Excellent

No need to review it, just excellent!

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well OK

I was a little late getting to this.

I'm generally a fan of your stories, but this one didn't work.

This is a well crafted BTB story of the extreme ilk. An otherwise smart, competent, loving wife cheats on her saintly husband at the first hint of opportunity with an absolute scum bucket. She somehow can't bring herself to stop even after deliberate humiliation and despicable treatment, all the while rationalizing her behavior.

Are you sure you're not channeling SS06?

For what it's worth, your stories are better when your characters are more complex.

Anonymous Andy

GM33GM33over 9 years ago
I can not accept the ending

Harrison, the evil character, totally defiled Colleen, destroyed her marriage and life.

He went away just without any real punishment.

I would have him hit badly, both economically and physically.

maddictmaddictover 9 years ago
wonderin were did our love go, any body know

Carter sure was easy to hate, (immensely dislike).

Colleen, enough said.

Mac, maybe he could be the next pope.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Actually, Colleen got off very easy.

Say what you want, Mac was cuckolded and suffered the shame with little retribution. Story doesn't work for me.

AmbivalenceAmbivalenceover 9 years ago
All things considered, it was a good ending...

though it would be nice to have instant retribution against Harrison, don't you see the terror he'll be living in for the rest of his life...?

When a car backfires... or a glass breaks... or a book falls to the floor... when a figure in an alley turns his way... or he sees a reflection from a high window... every moment he has to cross an open area... or is near a window...

Never knowing if Mac has decided to kill him or not... whether this is the day...

And any time he tries the same thing with another woman...

As for Colleen, really what can be done to her that is worse than living with the loss of the man she feels she loves - at least when she's not being a masochistic whore.

True, she may love the stuff that Harrison did to her but that doesn't mean she wants a non-stop diet of it. Or if she does, it will just escalate to the point where she dies from it. (stupid bitch)

tazz317tazz317over 9 years ago
SYNDROMES ARE MORE TERRIBLE THAN FETISHES

one is inborn the other is learned. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
very good

damn this one was the of the best cheating wives stories ive read on this iste

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
3 stars for the writer

but a lousy tale

calflashcalflashover 9 years ago
disippointed

I realize that the graphic sex was the main gist of the story but you've written so many others without going there that I'm disippointed that you stooped to such when you've written so many other stories whthout doing so. Her rationalization of "it's just a fling" is especially egredius being the wife of a minister.

SplitAcesSplitAcesover 9 years ago
The devil made me do it?

What bullshit! Never; not once, have I every done ANYTHING without choosing to do it! Colleen had been a secret slut hypocrite masquerading as pious; or she would never have cheated on Mac. The more you strive to be good; the more evil repulses you. Clearly, Colleen had been pretending, not striving to be good.

Btw, no Marine ever became a sniper without first being an expert rifleman. We're tested in boot camp.

seekerazseekerazover 9 years ago
And another of Francis' evil doers gets a pass

I don't want carter dead or even wounded but he turned the place upside down and no consequences. I put too much time in this and the ending unsatisfactory, at best. It must be too much like real life.

The author is a very good writer and i am a very weak person.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Colleen

I can normally accept that people can be weak, have bad moments, etc. The character of Colleen though, I look at her as someone that knowing her and her husbands past, should be protecting her husband. The 1st instance of her affair, I could maybe deal with. Successive instances though, I'm done. I'm not normally the type, but she's a character that I would have liked to have seen suffer more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Gave it a 5 for the story and to

piss off dear annony the sick fucker on here

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
good story

i just wish there was a followup that maybe talked about colleens life after the divorce (hopefully not too good) maybe Harrison getting his just desserts, and mac

carvohicarvohiabout 9 years ago
I know it's late but...

I read this when you first put it up, but I failed to comment. Since then this 'American Sniper' book and movie have emerged. I remembered this story and reread it.

I did enjoy the story. I felt real empathy for the sniper turned priest. I felt nothing but disgust for his wife. Carter was a nonentity; he was the necessary Iago to Desdemona's husband, our confused hero.

I do agree with some of the other comments; you wrapped things up too quickly. The disrupted office, hole in the masonry, sudden fear, and Colleen's moment of truth were all rushed. I would have delighted in a few more paragraphs highlighting Colleen's uncertainty and pleadings.

Good story Mac. gave it a five.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
As usual liked the tale, but as usual author there is a fatal flaw.

That flaw is the adulteress is always passed off too easy and the cuckolding person gets "soft" payback.

ohyessssssohyessssssabout 9 years ago
justice

The weekend at the hotel Colleen's unknown lover infected her and Harrison with the aids virus. Medications had no effect on the virus and their last years of life were spent in pain , suffering and self loathing.

GeorgeAndersonGeorgeAndersonabout 9 years ago
Rescue

I agree with others that the ending seems rushed and unfinished. As an alternative, Colleen confesses completely to Mac, especially how it started. She tells him how Carter exploited something in her, sending her into the darkness of an addiction she never knew existed. She's lost in there: she can't find her way out. Even with Carter gone, she knows there'll be someone else to exploit her. She rescued him once: can he rescue her now? I'd like to see him (with suitable professional comrades) go in after her and get her out. Maybe they get back together and maybe they don't, but at least I think he should try to give her a life back. Call me a wimp, but I think a rescue at each end of the story is symmetrical, and I like them both too much to see it end this way.

calflashcalflashabout 9 years ago
distrubing

It's disturbing how the clergy can shield someone under the guise of confession especially as they shield their own sex offenders. The same goes for the media under the guise of protecting their sources. She was not seduced but a victim of her own weaknesses. It was especially disturbing that she did it multiple times even lying to her husband about the weekend trip.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyalmost 9 years ago
Supurb

I wouldn't have you change a word. Passion, action, drama, suspense, it had it all. Characters seemed so real. I'm typing with one finger on an iPad or I'd go on.,Wow.

Chilley

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous