Confidence of a Lion

Story Info
Romance likely for reunited ex-students.
2.9k words
4.42
5.2k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Confidence of a Lion

By EgmontGrigor2021

Chapter 1

Dunleigh High didn't have an award for the category of 'The Most Unpopular Student' among graduating students, otherwise Ivan Major would have taken that to add to his haul of awards.

He was declared Top Student in Maths, Top Student in Science, Top Student in Business Management Theory and took the cup as the School's Senior Year Top Individual Male Athlete, easily the best combined performance by an individual in the school's 89-year-old history.

There was a silence in the auditorium when Ivan was presented with the trophy of top Dunleigh High student of the year. Shocked by this lack of response from students, deputy principal Mrs Archer called out to her daughter, a 4th year student, "Cilla, why have you often said that you and your friends believe Ivan Major is a total dick."

The gathering was shocked into silence by that outburst.

"Cilla, please answer me."

"Mum, it's because he doesn't know how to converse to females, doesn't involve himself socially in school activities and avoids mentoring struggling students."

Appalled by this sudden and turn of events, school principal Enid Brown announced to the assembly of students and parents that the school song would now be sung.

During the singing, Ivan Major was seen slinking away with an armful of awards followed by his weeping guardian, his late mother's sister Eve Gower, arm-in-arm with her highly embarrassed husband.

"That's it," announced Principal Brown, wringing her hands. "There's no traditional finale because Ivan has left us before presenting the customary Student of the Year's farewell valedictory address on behalf of fellow leaving students."

* * *

Eve Gower answered the knock of a caller that evening.

"Hi Mrs Gower, I'm Cilla Thomas."

"Yes, I know who you are dear, I'm on two committees at the school. How may I assist?"

"May I talk to Ivan in front of you and your husband?"

"Yes, of course dear. Ivan is fine. He said he's well used to that dismissive treatment that became horribly evident at today's awards ceremony."

Cilla walked over to Ivan and they smiled but didn't touch.

"Ivan, I'm here to apologize for being part of an assembly that treated you so unkindly today instead of ringing out applause for your wonderful school performance during the year that was recognised with a heap of awards. In contrast, my parents think I'm clever and a winner and yet I didn't win a solitary award."

"That happens," Ivan said.

"Indeed, it does, and one could say that's the way the cookie crumbles," Cilla replied.

"I wish to empathise that many students misunderstand you or have been misinformed by comments about you that have filtered back to their parents. It's not your fault that you've suffered from hangover trauma following the death of your parents and younger sister seven months ago in a horrific vehicle accident, from which you escaped virtually unscathed physically".

"I'm here to apologise for allowing the situation of rising dislike you to persist around me and for doing practically nothing to address it, apart from being somewhat friendly and supportive of you."

"That's fine, Cilla and also true. I was conscious that you often held out the hand of friendship to me and knew you were not one of my active detractors. And so be it. It's over for me. I will be getting away from this hate pit. I'm going to a university in the United States to study law on an athletic scholarship. Hopefully we'll meet again one day."

Harry arrived with coffee and Eve thanked Cilla for coming and delivering such kind words.

"Thank you, Mrs Gower. My mother is a former nurse and explained to me that Ivan losing his entire family crushed to death by a runway loaded logging truck when its brakes failed, also crushed Ivan's hopes of enjoying life and his final year of high school."

"Mum believes that Ivan will slowly readjust mentally as necessary over coming months in his new educational environment."

"Yes, that's what the medics told us. He's done brilliantly in his rehabilitation since being under our wing. Thank you darling. You visit means a lot to us."

"I agree fully with that comment," Henry said and Ivan said, "Hear, hear."

"It's taken guts for you to come here tonight and tell us how you see things, Cilla," Ivan said. "In my mind, that makes you a beautiful person and not only in looks. Thank you, thank you so much."

When Cilla was leaving, she hugged and kissed Ivan on the cheek and said she believed Ivan would develop into a much-admired man.

Chapter 2

Seven years later, Ivan returned to the city of Coatesville.

Anna Thomas began reading the morning newspaper after waving husband Alec off to work as a partner in the firm of Allen, Thomas and Yelich Law. Their eldest daughter Cilla had recently been made a junior partner in the practice.

"Omigod," cried Anna, grabbing her phone and called Cilla.

"Big news, Ivan Major is returning to Coatesville as a lawyer to join the staff of our district's Chief Crown Prosecutor and will be in charge of all Police Lower Court prosecutions on behalf of the Crown, meaning he'll be opposing you."

"Yes, his home-coming is the shock, mother, not having him opposing me in Court. We are in the middle of discussing the appointment over pre-start coffee. Good for Ivan; he's made something of himself and could be on the way of bigger things and eventually eye the country's position of Attorney-General. Of the eight of us in the room, I'm the only one who knows him. Please, if you run across him before I do, don't tell him I'm not married."

"Why not?

"We may not be matrimonial suited, that's why."

"Aw, I would have liked to have read his expression and recorded any comment when he found out that you were still single and available. This is what mothers do, darling."

"Mum!"

"Very well, I'll comply with your command."

Ivan Major's greeting on the sidewalk when they came face-to-face unexpectedly, stunned Cilla.

He'd gaped, "Holy shit."

She was shocked when realising the handsome hunk had recognised her as Cilla Thomas. Her mind momentarily turned blank before it reconnected to reality and she managed to blurt "Is that a polite way to greet a lady whom you think you might know?"

He said lamely, "Hi Cilla, you look breath-taking and it's great being in your queenly presence."

Cilla choked in attempting to reply to that absurdity.

"Err, I picked up on where you were when preparing for this morning's meeting. The Chief Crown Prosecutor and I are due to visit your firm from 10.30 this morning for him to introduce me to you guys. I studied the supplied photograph to allow me to put names to also memorised photographs of senior personnel and that's when I learned you were still in town."

"God, such intense preparation and I have to say this playback of surprise meetings in movies of the1970s just doesn't happen these days," Cilla laughed, conscious that people in the street around them were privy to this conversation.

Ivan said, "It would have been less of a surprise for me if you had videoed me with a live congrats upon my appointment. I wasn't aware where you were these days. Where's the pram with kid number three?"

"I don't have children because I'm not married," she said stiffly.

"What, waiting for me, eh? Or are you simply putting a career first?"

Cilla glared at Ivan.

He smiled and said, "Ah, that was not criticism of you having a career; just an attempt to draw useful catch-up information from you, Cilla. I guess you qualified to work in your dad's law firm? If so, congratulations. I recall you having great people skills suitable for leading you in that direction."

"Thank you."

"I'm reminded again that you're pretty with a great figure."

Cilla was speechless again. She'd been quick for years to denounce males for wallowing in sexist compliments and yet she was thrilled that Ivan apparently admired her for her looks. Christmas, how should she handle this?

Take a deep breath girl, she urged silently.

"It's wonderful to see you again," she cooed. "You have filled out amazingly well."

"Ah, it's okay in this town for the Modern Miss to pass personal comments in casual conversation, it seems," he grinned.

"My behaviour is not altogether based on rigid rules."

"Does that suggest you consider doing it on the first night of a date, or is that taking your apparent liberalism too far?"

"I'm going," Cilla snorted. "This conversation is becoming too personal for me and for eavesdroppers. I shall see you and your superior later this morning. I love it that you have found your confidence, the confidence of a lion perhaps."

Ivan smiled at her thoughtfully.

* * *

The partners we lined up in the atrium of the law offices of Allen, Thomas and Yelich Law with their senior subordinates behind them when District Chief Crown Prosecutor Nigel Scott arrived with the new addition to his staff.

"Welcome, Nigel," said Alec Thomas, the managing partner, and Ivan was introduced to each partner and then to junior partners and associates.

When Alec introduced his daughter, instead of shaking her hand, Ivan kissed her.

"It's okay Alec, Cilla and I are old friends; we went through Dunleigh High School together."

"What, you were that skinny brain box Ivan Major?"

"Yes sir, and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. I had my body virtually rebuilt playing American Football when at Stanford University in California."

"Stanford, eh? I'm impressed."

"Thanks, and I'm aware that you are a product of Oxford in the UK."

"How on earth... ah, Cilla."

"No sir, I've already boned up on you and your partners and senior counsel."

"I'm impressed."

"Don't be, Alec. It's simply one aspect that I need to apply if I'm to be good in my role and simply is a tool acquired from grinding away at Law School."

Alec called to his PA, "Cynthia, please begin creating a dossier on young Mr Major here so that we know more about him than he appears to know about us."

"Ah, Miss Cynthia Hawkins, according to your law practice's annual publicity handbook. Are you by any chance related to the actress, Faith Hawkins?"

"She's my mother, sir."

"Ah, I thought I recognised something familiar in you looks. My parents began taking me to local theatre from when I was twelve, and through the years gained big impressions of the flexibility that eventually gained her the reputation of being a true drama queen."

"Thank you, sir. I must pass on your compliments. Have you been in amateur drama, perhaps as an actor?"

"No, but I sign as a tenor in amateur light opera. "I had (sigh) years of training in my older youth. I'll send you a copy of my unpublished profile specifically prepared for job applications to you to use if required, in building your err dossier on me."

Cilla, who had been following all of this with high personal interest, was most impressed.

She mused that Ivan already and, at least initially, would be liked by the team. Fuck, she'd have to be prepared to be at the top of her game for when she came up against him in Court as a defence lawyer.

Chapter 3

Three days later, Cilla Thomas defended her maternal grandfather Bert Barefinger on a charge of car conversion (stealing). And she had a feeling who the Crown Prosecutor representing the Police would be.

"Ah, Cilla!"

"Good morning, Ivan. You should be aware that my grandfather... "

"...is one of this country's finest hurdlers ever, winner of seven world championship events. Yes."

"And is highly respected and regarded as a role model to this day."

Grinning, Ivan said, "Do you look as beautiful straight out of bed in the morning as you do now?"

"What? What on earth... Fuck you Ivan Stupid Major."

He laughed and she practically spat at him and walked to her seat angrily.

When the case was about to start, with counsel having been acknowledged by Judge Harris, Ivan rose and said, "You Honour, may I approach the bench?"

Leave was granted and according to custom, Cilla, went to the bench too.

"Are you troubled by our unfamiliar court procedure, Mr Major?"

"Not at all, Your Honour. My concern is this: this hearing could take two the best part of two days or stretch into the third."

"Hmm, and you have a possible solution?"

"Yes, Your Honour. According to the transcript of the defendant's statement to the Police, he admitted driving off in the car and was apprehended shortly afterwards. May I ask the Defence has the defendant's statement he drove off simply because the key fitted, been verified?"

Cilla said, "Um, Your Honour. May I nip over and consult the prosecutor sergeant who is briefing me?"

"Yes, and nip quickly."

Cilla returned, her face almost a crimson as the Judge's robe.

"Your Honour, I inquired if that claim was an unbelievable oversight. It has been."

Racking up the embarrassment for the Defence, His Honour said dryly, "Yes, well even I find that difficult to believe unless incompetence in now rife in the Police Department. Mr Major?"

"I suggest an adjournment until tomorrow to allow the Defence to arrange for a video of the two cars parked together and a senior police officer with the defendant's key being used to unlock each car and using it to attempt to start both vehicles. My observation from charge sheet details is that the vehicles are the same model and one is red and one is blue. Then to produce that video for screening in the morning as soon as the hearing resumes. Should the evidence show that the key fits both vehicles, then I submit that the hearing could be shortened dramatically."

"I accept your submission, Mr Major. Miss Thomas?"

"I concur, Your Honour, and await your decision."

"We'll proceed as Mr Major has thoughtfully suggested, Miss Thomas. Please return to your seats and I'll simply declare that this hearing has been adjoined until 10 am tomorrow."

When walking from the Courtroom, Cilla whispered, "Ivan you have been amazing, giving me the opportunity of saving my face and possibly pathing the way for saving the Police from embarrassment that may have spread internationally as one of the biggest prosecution boobs in the last twenty years."

"Or fifty," Ivan grinned.

"Or 100," Cilla said and she whispered ever so softly, "I'm figuratively blowing you a discreet kiss of thanks."

In Court next morning, Ivan opened proceedings by requesting that the Defence be permitted to play a short but highly significant video crucial to the defence of one of the country's national heroes.

His Honour said to proceed.

A Police Superintendent filmed conducting the test was quick in conducting the tests and lucid in confirming that the defendant's key had unlocked and started the vehicle that he was accused of 'converting' for his own use.

Cilla submitted, "Your Honour, this video has been shown to the Crown Prosecutor in this case and it's my understanding that he wishes to proceed further on this matter."

Asked to proceed, Ivan had Mr Bertram Cecil Barefinger called to the stand and sworn in.

"Sir, this if the first time I've met you but I knew of you because you were one of my slightly younger father's sports heroes in his youth. Mr Barefinger, what colour was the car that you took by mistake?"

"Red, I think."

"What colour is your car?"

"Blue, I think."

"Are you colour blind."

"Yes, sir. That fact is registered on my driver's licence."

"Do you have it with you."'

"Yes sir, here you are."

"If it pleases the Court, I present the defendant's licence as Exhibit B. Your Honour I submit that these two exhibits, the testing done by a reliable person of significant standing, and my brief submissions provide sufficient grounds for you to consider abandoning these proceedings forthwith. I submit that the defendant's actions occurred because of confusion and that no criminal intent was involved."

His Honour said, "Case dismissed and I order that the defendant's minor misdemeanour, which is all that this attempted prosecution amount to, be completely struck from Police and Court records."

* * *

Cilla raced over to Ivan who was seated and writing notes in the fast-clearing courtroom.

She slapped him on the back in appreciation and said, "What a hero."

"Thanks. Unfortunately, media reps were in a attendance and so will gleefully spread the embarrassment of the Police."

"Yeah, but Ivan, you expertly kept the lid on from flaming the situation. It really boils down to just a quirky court case where the defendant got off because he was colour blind. It probably will be written and broadcast with humour attached. Thanks, um, come for dinner tonight."

"Thanks, I accept."

"You probably will get a big kiss."

"Aw, Cilla. I expect more than that. I impressively saved the honour of your grandfather."

"Yes, right. I have time to think about how to endow you on behalf of my extended family's gratitude before you arrive this evening and my mother will be all over you and attempt to drag you off to the broom cupboard."

"Omigod, two females in one night. I must limit my drinking of alcohol."

"What? You filthy beast. I ought to..."

"Cilla!"

"What?"

"Remember, I also saved your butt today?"

"And so, you want a piece of my butt?"

The cleaner who had begun mopping the floor said to the intimate hot couple, "I suggest you two get a room."

Cilla fell against grinning Ivan, laughing uncontrollably.

The End