Confirming Carter Bk. 02 Daedalus Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

1315 Hours

"So what did you find, Chuck?" Carter asked as she walked up and took a seat next to him at his console. "You said something about a new shield?"

"A secondary shield on the gate." He said, leaning back in his chair. "We were going through the database, and I found records on the shield systems. All of them, the main, the three subsidiaries on the piers, and a dozen more in different areas around the city."

He grinned at her, then stood up and motioned for her to follow him. "But while we were waiting for you to come down, we found something you'll find alot more interesting." He jogged down the stairs with Sam and Tammy behind him, and led them over to a spot in the middle of the floor between the gate and the stairs.

"Stand here, and hold out your hand." He told her, taking a step back.

Carter did as he said, and a moment later, a console raised up out of the floor.

"Put your hand on the pad. We've cleared the system, so when you touch the pad, the city will be under your direct control." He told her. "We found out about this when Daedalus ran across that ancient ship a couple years ago, and they took the city back. What they didn't tell us, is that up to three people can be entered into the system."

"So what does that mean, Chuck?" Carter asked, stepping back and putting her hands in her pockets. "I think I want to know more about it before I go messing with something like this."

She looked over at Tammy. "What do you think, Tammy? You were here when that happened."

"From what I heard, the head ancient put her hand on that thing, and all of us were locked out of the cities systems." Tammy told her. "Sheppard was there, he should be able to tell you more."

"The replicators killed all the ancients, and by the time we moved back in a couple weeks later, the Ops center had been rebuilt and the system had been reset. This time, no passcode was in place. I guess they didn't use one, because we had access to more systems than when we left." Chuck said. "I think it's safe, maam. Basically, all you're doing is adding a level of lockout security to the system."

"I'd still like to know more about it before I mess with it." Carter said, stepping away from the console. "Show me this secondary shield you were talking about. What's it for?"

"As near as I can tell, we can let someone through the gate, but still keep them contained. It should also provide protection for when teams are coming in hot." Chuck laughed. "We've gotten shot up pretty good a few times, and having this shield up will put a stop to that."

Chuck led them back up to his console and brought up a screen. A graphic showed the gate room, with the gate in bright blue.

"The shield is up on the gate, which is why you see it as blue." He made an adjustment, and a long blue box appeared, stretching between the gate and the stairs. "I just activated the secondary shield, so even if I dropped the gate shield, we'd still be protected."

His hands flew over the controls and he grinned at her again. "You're gonna love this, colonel." The graphic changed, now showing an outline of a blue box filled with yellow. "We can manipulate the gravity field within the shield. So now if we have a vessel coming in hot, we put up the shield, alter the internal gravity, and they can come through at speed without crashing into anything."

"Who do you work for, Chuck?" Tammy asked. "I mean, what department are you in? Do you have a supervisor?"

"I worked for Dr. McKay, and haven't been reassigned to anyone else since he left." Chuck told her. "I'm kind of on my own. Well, all of us are really. There's seven of us ops techs, and we've just been kind of winging it while things get sorted out."

Carter and Tammy looked at each other, then back at Chuck.

"Call one of the other techs and have them come down and relieve you Chuck." Carter said. "We'll be in my office. Come join us when they get here."

It was almost fifteen minutes before Chuck came in. Carter waved him to a seat, and waited for him to get settled.

"Start talking, Chuck." She said after a moment. "I want to know everything you've found on any ancient systems you've been playing with. Take your time, we have all afternoon."

"It would be easier if I just sent you the material I've written up on everything, colonel." Chuck said. He looked back and forth between Carter and Tammy, not sure what was going on. "I've been making detailed notes on everything we find in the database, and I have a kind of how-to guide in progress for most of the cities systems. It's kind of a pet project."

"How would you like to be our city manager, Chuck?" Tammy asked, getting up and coming over to sit next to him. "From what I've seen over the last few years, and heard over the last few minutes, I'd bet you know more about the city and it's systems than anyone else in the city right now. You sit up there in the Ops Center and poke around, because you're curious, and you like to play with the city. Is that about right?"

"Uh...yes, maam. I guess it is." Chuck said, trying not to grin.

"So what do you say, Chuck?" Carter asked. "Do you want the job? You'd report directly to us, but we'll have to get you a staff to do the leg work." She looked over at Tammy. "I think we should pull him off the Ops rotation and put him to work full time running the city."

"What part of that don't you like, Chuck?" Tammy asked when she saw him frown, and slump in his seat.

"I really like working in Ops, Maam." He told her. "I have access to all the cities systems from there, and I'm used to the routine. I'd be glad to take the job, but I'd like to stay in the rotation if I can."

"I won't argue with that." Carter laughed. "Most of the senior staff wear more than one hat."

"I guess it makes sense. He'd be sitting there to do any work on the cities systems anyway." Tammy added. "Or we could set him up in a suite over on one of the piers, then load the office up with everything he'd need."

"Let's get Andi on that when we're done here." Carter said. She grinned over at Chuck. "From what we were talking about the other day, I guess you wouldn't mind moving into bigger quarters?"

"No, maam!" Chuck said quickly. "Wow, the girls will love that!"

"Girls? Do you have female roommates? I bet having a little more space will be a treat till we get them relocated too." Carter said.

"I don't think that's what he meant, is it, Chuck?" Tammy grinned. "I remember now! They call you the Chucknician. You're the guy that...nevermind. I'll get you a good suite."

"Thank you, maam. I'd appreciate it."

"Okay, since we've got that settled, I think we should let Chuck get back to what he was doing. Hopefully, he'll find more goodies out there in the cities systems that no one has bothered to look for yet." She came around the desk and took his hand, smiling at him. "Thank you, Chuck. You're going to be a good addition to the senior staff. We'd like you to come to dinner tonight so we can introduce you to the rest of the team, dress is casual. We'll send someone to get you and bring you over. How's eighteen hundred sound?"

Interior-Pharris' Suite, North Tower

1405 Hours

"The guy is a stud!" Tammy giggled as they stepped off the porter and walked down the hall toward Pharris' new quarters. "He's boinked at least half the female staff over the last four years. I know at least ten nurses that he's done. They all say he's great!"

Sam grinned as she palmed the pad for the door. "So are you saying that you want to do him now too?" She asked as they waited for Pharris to answer.

"Nah, I was just telling you." Tammy laughed. "But we have to make sure that Andi gets him a good suite, maybe see if she can find another one with a pit. I bet he'd love that!"

The door swooshed open, and Bra'tac stood before them, still working on the fly of his pants.

"My queens! It is a most unexpected pleasure!" He said, waving them inside. "I had thought it might be O'Neill."

"Are you sure, Bra'tac?" Carter asked, looking around the room. "We wanted to talk to Pharris, but we can come back, or talk to her later."

"There is no need, Samantha." Pharris said as she stepped from the bedroom, running a brush through her hair. "The interruption is welcome. The ruffian accosted me as I entered my new home, and was trying to have his way with me yet again."

"Way to go, Master Bra'tac!" Tammy laughed as they walked over and took a seat on one of the long, low couches. She looked over at Pharris. "You left before we could talk to you earlier. Andi said that you had gone to speak to your people. We'd like to know what you, and they, think about what we heard from Todd."

"I do not know this Wraith as well as you appear to." Pharris said, pulling her legs up under her and leaning back against the arm rest of the couch. "But the news that the Wraith have been decimated, if it proves to be true, is most welcome indeed. When I related this report to the ruling council, it was met with cautious optimism and joy."

"Did you talk about how it might affect our plans to relocate your people to the areas around Anchorage, to provide resources for the city?" Carter asked.

"Yes, Arrin was most vocal about the need to progress quickly with those plans." Pharris replied. "The council feels that if the Wraith are now less of a threat from space, added to the protections already in place for the city, it is the best course of action."

Carter heaved a sigh of relief as she looked over at Tammy.

"Andi thought as much, but we had concerns that with the Wraith as less of a threat to your planet bound people, you might reconsider, and expand that way."

"To be honest, that was never really an option." Pharris said. "We have established colonies because we had no choice. But now, with this new partnership with you, we have the chance to not only settle our people safely, but provide for even greater numbers within the fleet. It is in all our interests for us to proceed on the course you suggest."

"Good, Andi says that we can have two hundred people back in Anchorage this week, and can begin training the first groups whenever you like." Carter said.

"When he is not pawing me, Bra'tac has offered insights we had not previously considered, and I now believe that we should consider a slightly different course of action." Pharris said. She looked over at Bra'tac, reaching over and stroking his leg lightly. "I believe I should let him offer his ideas."

"What good does it do to have the production facilities of the city active, if you have nothing to supply them with?" Bra'tac said slowly, looking back and forth between Sam and Tammy.

"We just talked about the same thing with Andi earlier." Sam told him. "But you have an idea. Let's hear what you're thinking."

"Develop the resources you will need for the city before you attempt to begin production." Bra'tac said lightly. "This will allow Pharris' people to relieve the strain on their population, while allowing you to proceed at a slower pace training workers for the city, perhaps doing repairs in areas of concern at the same time."

"I have discussed this with my people, and they agree on this course of action." Pharris said, picking up where Bra'tac left off. "We feel that it does neither of us any good to have working factories, with no materials to produce with. Altering our timeline slightly to bring up resource production sooner will actually allow us to begin producing goods sooner, at a reduced cost."

Tammy leaned over and whispered in Sam's ear, then looked over at Pharris.

"We like that idea, but the only concern we have is finding the right person to manage an operation of that scale." She said. "We'd need someone familiar with your people, that also has a clear idea of the long term goals of the project."

"And we only see one possible candidate." Carter added, smiling gently at her. "Would you consider taking charge of Anchorage for us, and getting those operations up and running?"

"A question before she answers." Bra'tac said, putting his hand on Pharris'. "Would she be required to live in this Anchorage, or would she be able to perform her duties remotely?"

"I don't see a need for her to live there full-time." Tammy said. "We could set her up with a suite for when she feels the need to stay over, and to use as office space. But realistically, we'd prefer that she did as much as she could from here, so we can be in the loop and offer support."

"We don't need an answer right now." Sam added. "Take your time and think about it. Talk to your people, and see what they have to say. We..."

"I do not need to think about your offer, nor do I need to speak to my people." Pharris said. She grinned at Bra'tac, then went on. "Now that you have addressed Master Bra'tac's selfish concerns, I see no possible objections. So yes, I would be pleased to serve in such a capacity."

"Excellent!" Carter laughed. "In that case, we'd like you to work up an outline of what you'd like to do. Give us a timeline, priority, materials and equipment lists, along with staffing and manning projections."

"There's no hurry on this, Pharris." Tammy said. "We're not going to make an official announcement for a few days, so take your time. And keep it to yourself for the time being. We're going to be making some adjustments to various departments in the near future, and we might as well announce this then."

"Bra'tac and I have been, 'brainstorming' is the term I believe O'Neill uses." Pharris said. "We already have a outline in progress, but will begin in earnest now that it is official. I would like to include O'Neill if I may, he 'thinks outside the box' as he puts it, and has also had interesting insights on the project."

"That's why I brought them here." Carter told her, grinning over at Bra'tac. "These two old geezers taught me alot of what I know, and I want to keep learning from them. Bring in anyone you need, just keep it quiet for now."

She paused, looking back over at Pharris. "I think we need to apologize, Pharris. We haven't spent the time with Phinnar that we told you we would, and feel bad about that. We'll..."

Pharris held up her hand, stopping her. "There is no need Samantha. Ronin Dex has taken both boys under his charge and is training them in the way of the warrior. Bra'tac and O'Neill have also been tutoring them in the military arts of their worlds. Phinnar is getting the education I wished for him. You may contribute as time allows."

"Thank you, Pharris." Carter said. "We knew that Ronin was spending time with the boys. And you should know, that was his decision. He must see something in them, which speaks highly of them both."

Pharris nodded. "He has spoken to me of the training he wishes to give Phinnar, and I gave my consent. Phinnar's ancient gene is now active, and he studies with Geraan on Tammy's tablets. Ronin's wife Amelia has them on a training schedule."

Carter and Tammy looked at each other.

"Wife?" Tammy asked.

"I had assumed such." Pharris said, a look of concern crossing her face. "She is with him when he visits, and the affection they share. Was I mistaken?"

"They've only been together a few weeks, but we kind of figured that something would come of it." Carter told her. "We think it's a good match, but we've been staying out of it, and letting nature take it's course."

"Nature has taken it's course." Bra'tac laughed. "Only death will separate them now. So let us hope that that is long in the coming."

"From your lips to gods ear." Tammy said softly. She stood up and stretched, then smiled at the couple on the couch. "We should really be going, we have a few things still to do this afternoon. Come to dinner this evening, we hired a new city manager, and we'd like you to meet him. He might be someone else you want to talk to Pharris, he knows more about how Atlantis works than anyone else in the city."

"Then we will be sure to join you." Pharris said, smiling. "To learn more about the wonders of these cities..."

"We agree." Sam smiled, moving toward the door. "We'll see you at dinner then."

Interior-Office

1550 Hours

"I think we should do that security thing Chuck was telling us about." Tammy said, looking up from her terminal. "I've been reading through his outline on it, and it looks like it's not only safe, but a smart thing to do."

"Yeah? So just what does it do?" Carter asked, leaning back and rubbing her eyes.

"The basic setting allows for lockout protection for the primary users. They can lockdown the city from any panel in the city once they've been coded in." Tammy told her. "Then there are advanced settings for access control to every section of the city, the self destruct, damage control, and dozens of other systems. It looks like that with access to this, running the city would actually be safer."

"Chuck said that up to three people could have access to this system." Carter said. "So you and me of course, then who else, Sheppard? I trust him to do the self destruct if we need to."

"I was actually thinking about Chuck." Tammy laughed. "He's going to be the city manager, and most of the systems this thing controls are directly related to that. We give him access, then work with him on how we want the city set up."

"You trust him with that much control?" Carter asked. "I've been working around him for 4 years, but haven't really started to get to know him till the last few weeks. I'm just not sure."

"He already has hands on control of every system this thing controls, and he's been telling us about everything they find, as they find it." Tammy grinned. "If he was gonna screw us, we'd already be locked up, and he'd be running the city as king. So yeah, I think we can trust him."

"You got a point there." Carter laughed. She stood up and came around the desk. "Okay, let's go do it. Might as well get it out of the way, and I need a break anyway."

Interior-Ops Center

1610 Hours

"Colonel, Lady Tammy." Chuck said, standing up as they approached.

"It's just Tammy...or your Goddessness, I'm not picky." Tammy laughed.

"Ignore her." Sam said, smiling at Chuck. "We came down to have you set us up on that new system you showed us. Do you have time?"

"Yes maam. It only takes a minute." He said as he brought up a screen on his terminal. He made a series of rapid keystrokes, then moved toward the stairs. "We'll have to go through later and configure the individual systems, but for right now, getting the lockout in place is the most important part."

When they reached the foot of the stairs, he walked over and held his hand out. The console rose out of the floor, and he waved Carter over.

"Put your hand on the pad. The manual says that the lights should change, and you should feel the pad vibrate when it accepts your input. I just set it to accept new input."

Carter stepped over and put her hand on the pad, and after a moment, the lights on the console flickered, then steadied. She stepped away and waved Tammy over.

Tammy put her hand on the pad, grinning when she felt it vibrate under her hand.

"It likes me." She laughed as she stepped back. She looked over at Chuck and waved him forward.

Chuck just looked at her, not sure what she meant.

"You're up, Chuck." Carter said, giving him a push toward the console.

"Wh...I don...Are you..." He sputtered.

"As our city manager, you're going to need access to these systems." Tammy told him. "You already have control of them, and if we don't include you, you'll be locked out, right?"

"Yes maam, I guess that's right." He said looking at her. He didn't make any move toward the console.

"So put your hand on the pad and let it read you." Carter said, stepping up beside him. "I don't want to have to run down here every time we want to make a change to these systems, that's what I hired you for."