Conflict of Interest Ch. 01

Story Info
Beau McGraw experiences sexual tension at work.
2.6k words
4.33
2k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You're such an asshole."

Beau McGraw looked up from the deposition transcript on his glass topped desk to see a pile of blonde curls blocking the doorway to his office. Maria Ortega. The grey bespoke blazer was pulled extra tight due to her hands on her hips.

A memory of a different blonde, this time with straight hair, in that same stance floated to the surface. Only she'd been wearing a red dress and asking why he hadn't gotten her the necklace she wanted for Valentine's Day. Why didn't he want her to be happy? Didn't he love her? It was during that conversation he'd decided the ring in his sock drawer would have to stay there until it could be returned. The relationship lasted another week.

As the thought drifted away, he noted the curves that were evident thanks to a well-tailored suit that cost more than most people's rent

"Well," He thought, setting down the red pen he'd been using to markup answers that could be attacked on cross-examination. "This should be good."

The black leather squeaked slightly as he straightened in his seat. It was the only older piece in the otherwise modern room. Sleek minimalist shelves housing his double diplomas from Cornell. Junior year of high school, his number one criteria for college was location. He'd wanted some space but not too much space. Just enough to figure out what he wanted to do with his life while still coming home on weekends. Much to his dismay he'd taken one philosophy class and fell in love, destined to follow the family legacy of lawyers.

"You're going to have to be more specific." His wide grin was met with an eye roll as Maria stepped into the room, letting the opaque glass door swing shut. A soft clicked announced that the automatic lock has successfully engaged. Clearly this wasn't going to be quick. Beau leaned one elbow on the armrest, awaiting an accusation.

Surely this wasn't about the morning team meeting. To be fair, his eyes had been glued across the table as often as he could manage without letting anyone notice. Usually it was easier to focus on the meeting itself. Sadie McGraw always made it a point to be in attendance. Not only as founding partner of McGraw Byrne who had a vested interest in the team's success on multimillion dollar cases, but as his aunt who had a vested interest in his career specifically. And Gabe Ricci, Sadie's second-in-command, took no bullshit when it came to status updates. The shame of admitting he hadn't finished the deposition transcripts was bad enough without having been caught unawares.

But everyone was a bit out of sorts since Martin had arrived early and snagged Maria's usual spot next to Gabe. No doubt in an effort to literally elbow his way up in the competition for the newest partner position at McGraw and Byrne. The rest of the team had played a short game of musical office chairs before settling in. This left Beau with his back to the door, facing Maria. Taking notes couldn't keep his attention on the right side of the white marble table. Not when the floor to ceiling windows framed her like a masterpiece. If she was a painting, she'd be called Diligence. Taking in every word from Martin's update on working through the discovery files. Marking a note down on the legal pad. When the idea was particularly exciting, the pen flew across the page. Its owner slightly bent over, letting her necklace thump against her sternum. It made him wonder what sounds she'd make if he kissed that spot. While it would likely end in a well-deserved slap and a one way ticket to Human Resources, he couldn't help but enjoy the mental picture. That was, until she made eye contact.

"Beau?"

"Yeah?" He must've been less composed than usual because the corner of her mouth ticked up in a smirk. Not an unkind one. But definitely amused.

"It's your turn." Came the gentle prompt. The reality of the situation had come crashing into place. Everyone was staring. Gabe's eyebrows had knit together in faint annoyance. Martin was practically vibrating with glee, not doubt mentally calculating how this would improve his own standing in the rankings. At least Gigi had taken the opportunity to consult her work phone to diffuse the embarrassment. Nothing worse that everyone looking at you. But Aislinn Tanaka and Sadie wore twin looks of mild concern. It could've been a trick of the light, but Sadie's looked a shade more disappointed. He cleared his throat.

"Of course. Thanks. McAllister has refreshed their retainer, so I plan to move forward interviewing experts this afternoon."

"Stealing my idea in front of Rothswell and Sadie." This he could handle. It was way easier to talk to a coworker about taking credit for their idea than confront a crush on said coworker. And he was crushing. Hard. She'd walked in the room the first day and his usual conversational skills abandoned him. Far from professional, the curt answers probably came off as rude. But there wasn't much else he could have done at the time.

More than one team member had had the same reaction, if Gabe's lingering looks were anything to go by. The other associates might not have noticed, but they didn't seem like the most emotionally intelligent bunch. But Beau couldn't wasn't much better. He'd had to stop himself from flirting more than once. It was easier to behave in a group setting, especially when Sadie was around. Nothing less sexy than spitting game in front of your aunt.

But then they spent more time together during the course of the competition. Digging through discovery files. When she offered to pick up coffee for everyone, he found himself standing to join her. Using the excuse of stretching his legs when all he wanted was one on one time. And not with a mountain of paperwork separating them.

She'd smiled at the barista and his heart fluttered all the way down to the floor. What would it take for Maria to look at him that way? So far the answer to that question remained elusive.

"I'm surprised Martin didn't beat me to the punch." The accompanying shoulder shrug earned narrowed eyes as she marched to the front of his desk, bypassing the two chairs altogether.

"That's because Martin at least thinks a few steps ahead. What you did was incredibly short sighted. Sure, Rothswell was impressed but the whole team knows what you did." She leaned forward, palms flat on the desk brown eyes boring into his. "Gabe knows what you did."

Swallowing did nothing to wet his suddenly dry throat. Leaning back couldn't distance himself from the truth.

"You're right."

Having made her point, Maria dropped into the plush seat before crossing her legs. The movement caused her skirt to ride up, baring a hint of thick thigh. His gaze climbed up her body before meeting her smirk. This one was more feral than the one from this morning.

Busted.

"Sadie knows you're not smart enough to find the smoking gun. To put in the extra effort for a case. That's why she got defense in the elevator when I told her what you did."

The embarrassment at being caught out metamorphosed first into shock, then disbelief.

"You told on me? To Aunt Sadie? What are we, six?"

Maria took issue with his tone. This was a serious conversation and that comparison showed just how much Beau didn't get it. Six-year-olds fought over crayons. Not their reputations and certainly not for a partnership position at one of the top law firms New York, hell the country.

"Beau, I don't want to have to have this conversation again. I understand you're desperate save face but if you pull a stunt like this again and I will come for your neck. Unlike you, I actually had to fight for what I have."

He shot to his feet and quickly made his way around the desk. She stood to meet him.

"Listen," He said in a low, serious voice. That was new. Up until now, if someone had asked, she would have said she doubted Beau had a serious voice. But it turns out he did and it was doing funny things to her breathing. Thankfully, it didn't seem noticeable. "I get you're pissed. I'll even admit it was shitty to steal credit for your find. Whatever." He leaned in closer. "But you don't get to come into my office and insult me. I have as much a right to be here as anyone else."

Undaunted with the fact that she clearly hit a nerve, Maria stood toe to toe with him, brown Versace shoes squaring off against black leather pumps. In fact, she may have scuffed the leather with the point of her heel.

Maria may be short but he never realized that he stood a few inches above her. He'd always been shorter for a dude. Relegated to standing on the end for frat pictures. It was easy to forget she wasn't six feet tall when her personality filled the whole room. When she had something to say, people listened. Even Gabe wasn't annoyed when Maria had excitedly interrupted his debrief with the latest press release on one of their clients.

"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. You could walk out that door and get five offers before the elevator even hit the lobby. I need this."

"And I need to prove to everyone that I deserve to be here. That Aunt Sadie wasn't throwing me a bone. Do you know how it feels to walk into a room and have everyone automatically question if you have what it takes?"

She arched an eyebrow at him. "Okay, stupid question. But it's more than that." He insisted. "No one has ever looked at you as a screw up. As a loser. I need to prove I'm good enough for this job. Good enough for-"

His tone was desperate. But she couldn't begin to guess what he wanted so badly that would torture him in this way. She laid a hand on his arm, stepping closer before asking a gentle question.

"Good enough for what, Beau?"

"You." He said simply. Stunned she blinked up at him.

"Excuse me?" Thinking maybe she'd misheard. But no. Beau had been loud and clear. "What do you mean?"

"I mean you are driving me absolutely crazy." he said leaning in, his blue eyes bright with intensity. "And I'd hoped that by doing well in this competition you would see me as a worthy competitor and" he cleared his throat "maybe more."

She let the confession hang between them before reaching to readjust his purple tie. The backs of her knuckles warm even through his white shirt.

"I always liked this tie."

"Um, thank you?" Where is she going with this?

"Mmm." came the thoughtful hum. "While you were talking about McAllister this morning, I was thinking about what it would be like to do this." With one sharp yank of his tie, she dragged him closer. He watched her eyes flutter shut before their mouths met. It was a bit clumsy as she'd knocked them both a little off balance. Beau pitched forward but managed to right himself. Then he was able to focus on her soft mouth.

One hand wound its way into her curls, while the other squeezed her ass through her skirt. If this was a one-time thing, he was going to make sure they both enjoyed it.

Judging by the moan that she made, he was doing a pretty good job. Her mouth was sweet like his favorite taffy from the candy store near his aunt's summer home.

Maria was on her feet one second and the next Beau grabbed her thighs and sat her on the desk. Using his knee to nudge hers apart, he surged forward. His hips shoving her skirt the rest of the way up her legs. Planting kisses along her neck while his fingers fumbled to unbutton the first few fastenings of her blouse.

"So this is why you decided to become the Cannonball King of the upper east side?" Maria panted between kisses before tugging him closer. She was referring to the company retreat to Sadie's cabin. One night, Gabe and Maria conveniently disappeared at the same time to take a walk. Beau knew that move. He invented that move. Hell, he'd been the one to show Gabe the path. So he'd suggested the team go by the lake where he'd unceremoniously torn off his shirt and jumped in the water, hoping to interrupt what may or may not have been happening between Maria and their fearless leader.

There was no use denying the obvious. Especially when the obvious was poking through his pants. "I had to do something. I'm just glad it worked." Shirt finally open enough to bare the nude bra underneath, he kissed the spot where her necklace was sitting this morning. The answering whimper would probably feature heavily on the soundtrack to his fantasies for a long time.

"And that included taking off your shirt?"

"Well I had to make sure you knew what you were missing."

"And what exactly would that be?" His fingers, now done with their mission, took a side quest downwards. When they made contact with a more sensitive button, a gasp escaped from between Maria's parted lips.

"This." As exciting as it was to tease through her underwear, they were proving to be a hindrance. So one finger tugged them to the side before gliding up and down, dipping into her wetness. Feeling the effect he had, Beau couldn't help grinning like an idiot. Satisfaction surging in his chest. "Oh you like that, huh?"

"Beau." Her hips rocking against him was a gorgeous sight. At the office, she was always so composed. Perfect makeup. White blouses. Not a wrinkle in sight. Helping her let loose like this was so much fun. That she'd let him see her like this. Touch her like this. He didn't expect to get this far and he certainly didn't want to stop.

"Tell me what you need. Let me give it to you."

"More." She bucked once, gripping his biceps. He slid another finger in, her warmth snug around him. Wasting no time, he began pumping. Each movement inspiring a new sound from Maria.

Beau leaned in to whisper in her ear. "I love all the little noises you make, but someone might hear."

She smothered her face in the crook of his neck and quietly whimpered. But she couldn't control the erratic pulsing around his fingers.

"Beau, please. I-" Correctly interpreting all the words that she couldn't say, he ramped up the pace. The table was shaking with them now.

A knock at the door startles them both. Maria springs up and shoves down her skirt before frantically redoing her blouse. Beau resumes his place behind the desk in an attempt to mask his arousal. Justin enters a second later carrying a large banker box filled with what was likely more paperwork. He grins as he places the box on the floor near the other discovery files. With a salute he makes his way out just as quickly as he arrived.

Alone once more, Beau tries to make eye contact but Maria won't face him. His heart aches. Oh. So this isn't the start of anything. Not that he knew what he was expecting. But certainly not this.

"I- I have to go."

His narrowed eyes watch her retreat. The door shuts leaving him well and truly alone. With a sigh, he makes his way to the bar cart that sits next to the bookcase and pours himself two fingers of scotch. It is only after the first sip that he realizes his finger still smell like her.