Consent of the Governed Ch. 03

Story Info
Hospital attack anniversary ceremony; surprise honors.
16k words
4.82
6.3k
3

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 10/28/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racism, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

***

Part 15 - Agenda-Driven (continued)

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, October 16th, from roof of the building at Riverside and College, with City Hall and the western side of Courthouse Square in the background. "Radical white extremists yell the 'n-word' and other racial epithets at peaceful black protesters during yesterday morning's demonstrations on Courthouse Square!"

After the hard-charging music intro, Bettina began: "After peaceful protesters wearing 'Black Lives Matter' shirts assembled to peacefully protest the Public Safety budget, demanding that the Town Assembly defund the Police, a group of militant, mostly White Nationalist thugs in blue shirts counter-protested. When the peaceful protesters yelled 'Black Lives Matter', the White Nationalists yelled 'All Lives Matter', which many blacks say is racist and offensive."

Bettina: "But even worse: according to Civil Rights spokesperson and leader of the peaceful protesters Stacy Jacobs, the radicals in the blue shirts hurled racial epithets at the peaceful protesters, including the n-word. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Pat Stellum interviewing Stacy Jacobs. "And they were yelling the n-word at us and all sorts of other ugly stuff. And the white cops were helping them and trying to suppress our voices."

Back to Bettina live: "Leading the blue-shirted racists were White Supremacy members of a motorcycle gang------"

"That's not true!"

Bettina turned to see that someone had joined her, her producer/aide, and her cameraman on the roof. The red crowbar in his hand was their first clue to his secret identity.

"You shut off that feed and I'll have the FCC shut you down AND I'll sue you for libel." I said as I came up to Bettina. I then took the microphone out of her hand and said into it: "Every Police Officer at the scene, whether white, black, or Hispanic, had an Officer-cam on and recording everything that was said. Those recordings are preserved as evidence, ready to be examined and used in Court if need be. And they show that no one, no one at all, used the n-word. Stacy Jacobs was outright lying, just as her mentor Dr. Lionel Carmela repeatedly lies to gain political advantage."

Bettina took back the microphone and said: "You were there, Commander. Are you saying, and are you willing to testify under oath that no one used the n-word at that protest?"

"I'll testify that none of the good citizens in blue shirts used that word." I said. "And I challenge you to produce one second of video footage that hasn't been doctored that will show anyone did use that word. You can't, or you'd be showing it on the air already. So why not admit that Jacobs is lying like a dog in the shade."

"Commander," Bettina said, "what about the blue-shirted White Nationalists saying 'All Lives Matter' in response to the peaceful protesters saying 'Black Lives Matter'? Isn't that racist and offensive?"

I replied: "First of all, Bettina, many of those in blue shirts, including Council candidate Katina Jones, were black. Hardly the White Nationalists you are trying to paint them to be. And second, 'All Lives Matter' is not racist, but the truth. If you say otherwise, aren't you suggesting that some lives matter more than others? Is or is not the desire of the Black Community that all be treated equally? and doesn't your suggestion suggest some are more equal than others, which is in itself racist?"

"Commander," Bettina said, "if Bruce Finneran wins the I.G. race, and it increasingly looks like he will, what will you do? Will you resign from the Police Force before he brings you up on criminal charges?"

I smiled an 'Iron Crowbar' smile, then said "Check with your polling experts. I don't think I'm going to have to worry about that."

"Commander," Bettina said, "after last summer's Police brutality, why shouldn't the Town Assembly defund the Police?"

"If criminals with guns break into your home with the intent of gang-raping you or your daughter, who are you gonna call to rescue you? A social worker?" I replied.

Bettina turned to the camera and said "And we have to go to break. When we get back, we'll report on today's one-year anniversary of the University Hospital bombing." When the cameraman indicated she was off-air, she turned to me with ugliness on her face.

"Can't say I didn't respond to requests for comment, now can you?" I said as I turned away and went to the door that led back downstairs, leaving Bettina speechless...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When I got back to Police Headquarters, I was about to turn into the anteroom of my office suite when a streak of platinum blonde hair flashed before me, grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the Chief's suite.

"Chief wants to see me?" I asked laconically as Cindy pulled me to the Chief's Conference Room.

"And not just him." growled Our Sheriff, who was sitting in the room with the Chief, Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle, and Captain Tanya P. Muscone. "What did I just see, Crowbar?"

"Looked suspiciously to me," Cindy said, "like someone impersonating the Iron Crowbar just gave Bettina Wurtzburg an interview live on air."

"And they didn't cut it off?" I asked, genuinely astonished. "Wonders never cease."

"Indeed, sir." said Tanya. "Which is just one of the many clues that we saw a pre-arranged, staged interview, there."

"You weren't fooled, eh?" I said with a grin. "Here, hold this." I handed Tanya the red crowbar, which she tapped in her hand menacingly.

"Have a seat, Mis-ter Crowbarrrr." said Chief Moynahan, indicating my usual place to hi left. "Father Romano tells me that confession is good for the soul, and yoooooo have sinned mightily. Soooo, start confessing."

"I may need absolution, after this." I replied.

"You needed that a long time ago." said Teresa levelly. "I for one am loving this."

"I am not." replied the Sheriff, equally levelly. "I'm waiting, Crowbar."

I said "Okay, okay. I got wind that Stacy Jacobs and Pat Stellum were going to go with that 'n-word' story, and I really did have all the Officer-cam audio and video in evidence showing no such verbiage had taken place. So I called our esteemed State Senator, who happens to own that Station, and suggested that she not allow her Station be used to promote and repeat lies I could disprove."

Your Iron Crowbar: "I might add that this was between Pat Stellum and Stacy Jacobs. Several other KXTC reporters and reporterettes, including their Managing Editor, or whatever Bettina entitles herself these days, really didn't want to commit to putting that story on the air. Sooooo, Bettina agreed not to cut off the signal if I showed up and explained things in a seemingly hostile manner. I did have to let her get that cheap shot about Finneran in, but like I said on air, I'm not really worried about that."

You could've heard a pin drop. Everyone was staring at me in sheer disbelief.

Finally, Cindy said "So you and KXTC actually worked together to refute their own story?" She shook her head and said "I've seen everything now."

"Consorting with the Enemy, Crowbar?" the Sheriff said, though I could tell that he was not as angry as he'd been a minute before.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend, Sheriff." I replied. "At least for five minute on a Courthouse Square building rooftop. Katherine Woodburn doesn't want to help Stacy Jacobs any more than I do, Bettina does what Katherine tells her to do, Amber Harris gets to laugh at Pat Stellum, and I'd imagine that Stellum is whining like a two-year-old child right now. And Stacy Jacobs is probably exploding like a nuclear bomb right now... well, that may not be the best choice of words, there." I was referring to the EMPTY QUIVER event. (Author's note: 'The Nuclear Option'.)

"And you couldn't do that on KFXU?" Chief Moynahan asked.

"Oh, no sir." I said. "The viewers that most needed to see that refutation of Jacobs don't watch Fox Eight News..."

Part 16 - Only Time

(Author's note: At this point, readers might wish to review 'Only Time', especially Ch. 02.)

9:45am, Friday, October 16th. It was the one-year anniversary of the domestic terrorist bombing of University Hospital, which had claimed twelve lives and injured dozens, including my wife, Dr. Laura Fredricson. (Author's note: 'Only Time'.)

The morning was overcast but not too cold. As Laura and I arrived and parked, we saw the Eastside Elementary School buses parked further down the way. "Why are they here?" Laura asked.

"My understanding is that Carole's class was invited." I said. "Then it became the entire third grade."

"Carole didn't say a word to me about it." Laura said. Then she peered over at me. "Okay, what's going on?"

"I guess we better go find out." I said, hastily exiting the vehicle. I went around and opened the door for Laura and helped her out of the vehicle... it was a pretty good drop to the ground, even for me and her.

As we came up to the rows of chairs set in front, facing the Eternal Flame and the front portico, we saw Edward and Stephanie Steele. All of the Council Members were here, even Reginald B.F. Lewis, who I saw talking to Eldrick X. Weaver and Edgar Silas on the other side of the group of chairs. Katina Jones was talking to J.P. Goldman, her boss at the J.P. Goldman Bank where she worked, and Selena Steele. I saw John Colby and Dagmar Schoen approach them.

"Why are the kids from Eastside here?" Stephanie asked Laura. "Marie never said a word to me that they were coming, but there she and Carole are, right up front." We looked over to see Carole and Marie in the front row, apart from their school classmates, who were seated in rows further back. I also observed that Carole was wearing her TCPD Auxiliary Detective badge on its chain around her neck.

"I don't know, either." Laura said. "Neither Carole nor my husband has said a word."

"Always smart of me to keep my mouth shut." I said. "Wouldn't you say, Edward?"

"Normally yes." replied Edward. "But I'm glad you opened your mouth this morning on KXTC. That was really righteous, what you did. But I'm totally shocked that KXTC didn't cut off the feed."

"Connect those dots, my friend." I said. "Oh, look who's here. Hey Little Love!"

"Hi Daddy!" Tasha replied happily. Indeed, my daughter had run up to me, and I leaned over to 'hug' her back as she hugged my legs. She was getting too big to pick up, and both she and my back knew it.

Following her was her mother, Paulina. And with Paulina was the legendary rapper T-Square, wearing a suit, and also wearing shades in the cloudy light, with his bodyguard 'The Regiment' following at a bit of distance. I hugged Paulina, as did Laura, and then exchanged a 'thumbs-up' handshake with T-Square.

"There's the man!" said T-Square as Sheriff Griswold came up. Their man-hug became a full-on hug as they exchanged greetings. Paulina went with Laura and Stephanie to sit down on the front row, towards the right end. I had the seat at the very end of the front row, and Laura next to it. T-Square went with Tasha, who plopped down next to Carole. Carole and Marie hugged T-Square's legs as he patted their backs. I saw Alison McFarland take a photo, and I wasn't too happy about that; I tended to not want my daughters's photos showing up in public Media.

In addition to politicians pressing the flesh, the leadership of the various branches of the Public Safety Department all showed up, in formal uniforms with full 'fruit salads' of ribbons. All seven Medal of Valor recipients were present, wearing our MOVs.

"Commander!" I heard a voice call out. It was Chaplain Alberto Romano, in his Police uniform with jacket, and a clerical collar instead of a necktie. He was escorting Claude Cardinal O'Leery, who was based in The City. I remembered my previous meeting with His Eminence. (Author's note: 'Man of God', Ch. 02.) Cardinal O'Leery was wearing his black robes, exquisite rosary and cross, and of course the ubiquitous red cap.

The Cardinal greeted me cordially and greeted Laura more warmly, remembering that she had been grievously wounded in the bombing and asking how she was doing. He then went to greet Mayor Allgood and his wife, then worked his way around to the other politicians, who were eager to be photographed with him.

"What do you think of him, Cardinal O'Leery?" I asked Teresa, who had come up with Todd. Cindy and Callie had also come up to us.

"I try not to." Teresa said flatly.

"He gives me the 'smarmy vibe'." Cindy volunteered.

"There's a lot of good in the Catholic Church, and about the Church." Teresa said. "And then... there are Cardinals like O'Leery..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We took our seats as the ceremonies were about to begin at 10:00am. I looked at the portico, which was serving as the stage for this ceremony. In the middle, in front of the Eternal Flame, was the podium. Extending to either side of the podium were twelve easels, six on either side, with cloth covered placards on them. I knew what those were: photos of the twelve persons that died in the bombing one year ago today. Twelve candles, one in front of each photo, were also in place.

To the audience's right, at what could be considered the edge of the stage were two easels with something covered by cloths on them, and two chairs in front. Closer to the stage front was an electric piano, with a chair behind it for the pianist to sit upon.

Hospital Administrator Seth Warner came to the podium, looking good in his well-fitting suit. Somewhat to my surprise, Teresa Croyle was on the portico with him.

Cub Scouts from Eastside Elementary came out and presented the Colors. And then we got our first surprise, as Seth Warner said "We are grateful today that international superstar T=Square has offered to lead us in our National Anthem."

Everyone applauded as the legendary rapper came up and took the microphone offered by Seth. "Now I'm not singing this alone." T-Square said. "I need help. Any volunteers?" And at that moment, Carole Diana Troy, her sister LaTasha Dionne Troy-Patterson, and Marie Steele rushed the stage. T-Square sat down at the piano and played as we all sang.

T-Square's voice, while excellent, was more suited to rap than loudly singing our National Anthem. Whitney Houston, he was not. But that was made up when Carole began singing, determined that no one would be singing more loudly than her. Fortunately, she had inherited her cousin Cindy's excellent singing voice. T-Square even pointed the microphone down so that the girls's voices carried over the speakers.

At the end, T-Square said "Thank you, ladies. Carole, Marie, have a seat in those chairs. Tasha, go sit with your dad." Carole and Marie sat down as Tasha ran off the portico and straight to me. I picked her up and put her on my legs.

"We suffered twelve crushing losses during the bombing last year." said Seth Warner. "Tiny babies fighting for their lives, nurses serving their young patients, parents in joyful expectation of a new son or daughter that they never got to see. Let us remember them with a special presentation by our kids from the Cancer Center."

A line of children of various ages, all dressed in warm white robes like they wore at Christmas, filed out of the front door of the Hospital. Some were past patients of the 
Cancer Center, while some were still patients but were recovering well. Everyone in the audience stood and gave the kids a solemn but strong ovation of applause.

Teresa had gone over and begun revealing the heartbreaking photos, and some of the kids helped. T-Square began playing the electric piano, and Alice, the teenager who was now in remission, began playing her violin. The Cancer Kids formed up and began singing Enya's 'Only Time'.

"Who can say where the road goes?
Where the day flows?
Only time.
And who can say if your love grows
As your heart chose?
Only time.

Who can say why your heart sighs
As your love flies?
Only time.
And who can say why your heart cries
When your love lies?
Only time."

As they sang, the parents of the babies that died in the neo-natal center flash fire came up, using the Eternal Flame to light tapers, then lighting the candles in front of their photos. Seth Warner called out the names of those who'd died as his or her candle was lighted.

Beatrice, whose son Otis had died of cancer (Author's note: 'Summer In The County', Ch. 03.), and whose sister Rhonda Hooper and Rhonda's husband had died as Laura had performed a C-section to deliver their daughter, came up and lighted their candles. Laura came up and lighted the candle for Kathy, her surgical nurse that had not survived.

And so it went, until all but one candle was lighted: that of Nurse 'Ratchett', who had no family, and not a whole lot of friends. So Carole and Marie went over and used the taper Laura handed them, and got the job done. Good hearts, those kids had. And Carole would later tell me that Iron Crowbars had to do the bad jobs as well as the good one. No doubt about that, I thought to myself. No doubt about that.

Once all the candles were alight, everyone stood and reflected upon the lives cut short, now represented only by the light of the candle flames, as the Cancer Kids sang:

"Who can say when the roads meet
That love might be in your heart?
And who can say when the day sleeps
If the night keeps all your heart,
Night keeps all your heart?

Who can say if your love grows
As your heart chose?
Only time.
And who can say where the road goes?
Where the day flows?
Only time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Seth Warner again took to the podium. "On that day, when they were needed most, many of our best people came to help our wounded Hospital and its patients. I'd like to ask all the doctors and nurses and other Hospital employees that are here now and were here that day to stand up and be recognized for the tremendous work you did under incredibly hard circumstances."

Everyone remained seated but applauded strongly as some in the audience stood up. EMS Chief Leonard R. Cordell did not stand... until he was prodded by Sheriff Griswold to do so. I was especially grateful for that, as it was Dr. Cordell that had operated on Laura after she'd been found alive in the rubble.

Seth Warner: "And we had help from many friends that came in. Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone and his team of FBI Agents were here, helping us greatly with logistical support. And when we needed it, the U.S. Army came in to help, sending the 3497th MASH to treat and care for our wounded. I'm glad to say that some of them came up today, and I'd like to ask them and Mr. Muscone's team to stand and be recognized."

Several Army Officers and Enlisted personnel in Dress Blues stood up in the crowd, as did Jack Muscone and Karina White, and they were strongly applauded.

Seth Warner; "Jack Muscone and I have something in common: we are married to decorated Police Officers that were wounded in the line of duty. I have never been so proud to be a part of this Town & County as that day... when Police, Firefighters, EMTs, and Public Health Department officials rushed here to help. They put their lives and safety on the line to rescue others, to save the rest of the Hospital by putting out the fires, and to take charge of the utter chaos that was going on."