Consequences Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"O-kay." said Tanya, peering sideways at Jerome, who still seemed to be out of sorts. She said "Anything from Vice?"

"Yes ma'am." said Rudistan. "I talked to a few old school friends yesterday. None of them are in gangs now, but they keep their ears open. They don't tell me anything unless it's really big, and by that I mean bigger than the risk of telling the Police anything."

Tanya and Mary nodded, and Rudistan continued: "There's a lot of pent up anger in the Black Community. A lot of people want to go on marches and protests, and they're not really interested in truly peaceful protests that people are ignoring. They want to get noticed, and that generally means violence and property damage."

"So we're in imminent danger of a riot?" Mary asked.

"Maybe." said Rudistan. "What I'm hearing is that this general frustration is being taken advantage of. There's people going around trying to start stuff up. We got one video off YouTube, where some people were marching along peacefully on MLK Jr. Drive, and this white guy in a dirty t-shirt comes driving up in a car and says 'I've got some bricks! You want some bricks to throw through windows or at the cops?' Well, the marchers told the guy where he could shove his bricks, but there's a lot more of that going on that doesn't get filmed."

Tanya said "Any info on who's ginning this up?"

"No ma'am." said Rudistan. "But I did hear that there are two incidents that are going to be used to outrage the black community: that gun that Hatch allegedly planted on Toddler and his crew, and Sergeant McCombs's trial. If McCombs isn't convicted, that could turn ugly really quick. Like the Rodney King riots all those years ago, when those four Police Officers were acquitted."

Tanya said "Mary, is Intel getting anything about that?"

Mary Milton said "Nothing specific that I've heard, ma'am. But I'll go ask after this meeting, and I'll ask them to start looking for some confirmation and further information."

Tanya said, "Jerome, I want you to put the MCD Detectives back in cars, and... Jerome?"

"Yes ma'am." said Jerome Davis, seemingly coming back from a 'reverie'. "You want the MCD Detectives back in the field?"

Tanya said "I want them watching the Press again, especially KXTC. And driving around looking for clumps of people congregating."

"Roger that." said Jerome, making a note.

"Okay," said Tanya, glancing over at Jerome. "Mary, Micah, you guys go ahead. Jerome, I need to talk to you for a minute." Milton and Rudistan left the room.

"What' going on, Jerome?" Tanya asked.

"Uh, nothing ma'am." said Jerome.

"Jerome, you look like you haven't slept in a week, and you're a million miles away." Tanya said. "If I didn't know you as well as I do, I'd send you to the clinic to take a drug test right now. So what's up?"

"Really, ma'am... nothing." said Jerome. "I didn't sleep well last night, that's all. I've just got personal stuff going on."

"Normally I'd let that go." Tanya said. "But you're not just a Uniformed Officer on the beat. You're the MCD Lieutenant. So, I can keep it quiet, but I need to know... before Commander Troy takes one look at you." Jerome nodded, but said nothing.

"Is it Inga?" asked Tanya. "Problems there?"

"No ma'am, things are good between us." said Jerome. After a pause, he finally said "All right, I'll tell you: my father called and asked me to come down to Valley Villages. He said he wanted to talk to me about something. So after I attended Commander Ross's wedding Saturday, I drove on down to my dad's place."

"Is he okay?" Tanya asked. "He's not sick or anything, is he?"

"No ma'am, it's nothing like that." Jerome said. "He... when I got down there, he told me he wants me to quit the TCPD."

Part 2 - Fathers and Sons, Black and Blue

9:30am, Monday, June 8th. I was studying Intel reports when there was a knock on my (open) door. I turned to see Cindy Ross standing there, having pivoted out of her office.

"Come on in." I said. "The coffee's fresh; have at it." Cindy poured a cup into the mug she'd brought into the office (hence my amazing deduction that she wanted coffee), and poured some into my Airborne School mug as I turned to face her.

"I just came in to ask what's going on with Tim?" Cindy said as she sat down. "He said you're going to put him up in the MIL apartment at the Mountain Nest?"

I said "Yes. My mom is staying at The Cabin and helping guard the kids that are congregated there, and Laura agreed that Tim could stay in the downstairs apartment of the Mountain Nest for a while as he recuperates. There's a secure connection through Laura's hookup, and he should be fairly safe there-------"

"Sorry to interrupt, but let me cut to it." Cindy said. "He could stay at the University Hotel or at the FBI's apartment here, at no charge to him. So while I'm sure he appreciates your hospitality, why is he staying at the Mountain Nest?"

"I think you're making the deduction already." I said. "Jack told Tim he never got a resignation, so as far as he's concerned, Tim is still an FBI Agent. But Tim has not decided for sure what he wants to do. And also... you can go visit him without anyone else getting in the way."

"You mean Callie." Cindy said.

"Or Laura, or Jack, or Tanya, or Owen Lange, or Bowser, or anyone else." I said.

"Speaking of Tanya..." Cindy said, "I blinked and missed something. You wrote her up? You formally reprimanded her?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Did Teresa tell you any of it?"

Cindy said "No, and I got the vibe that she's a bit scared of you, too; at least on this. Quite an accomplishment, considering she's the most fearless woman I've ever met."

"Me, too." I said. "But I understand her caution." I then told Cindy about Tanya moving like pond water when urgency had been required, her failure to follow my instructions, all of which led to Tim Jenkins in the Mountain Nest's MIL apartment. I also discussed the situation regarding the Mighty Miltons and the FBI. And I also told her about Teresa slipping and talking about the smuggling of the cash to McCombs and Hatch, which led to a bit too efficient a response.

"You think Tanya will go to the FBI?" Cindy asked. "EAD Lange is trying to recruit her, you know."

"Yes, he wants her as a forensic analyst, working with SAC Cardigan." I said. "But if I'm reading various people's body language right... she's not going to. She'll stay with us."

"Do you want her to stay with us?" Cindy asked.

"Of course I do!" I said, looking at her funny. "Why would you even ask that?"

"I dunno." Cindy said. "I'm not saying you were wrong to do it, but you came down on her like a ton of bricks. Made it real easy for her to choose to go to the FBI, if that's what she wanted to do and had any reservations."

I said "Noooo. I would only want her to go... if she truly wanted to go. But I had to do what I had to do."

Cindy nodded. "So, are you going to try to get rid of me next?" I was not fooled by the veneer of humor she tried to present.

"Hell," I said, "I've been trying to get rid of you for years." After several seconds, we both began whimpering laughs, which became uncontrollable.

"It's... really not a good day for that kind of humor." Cindy said after we stopped laughing. "I already had to endure your philosophy lecture this morning."

*BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!* *BUZZZ!*

It was Helena, and she said I had visitors: Captain Muscone and Lieutenant Davis.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sir, ma'am," said Jerome, "I mean no disrespect, but can I talk to you alone, Commander Troy? And be able to speak freely?"

"Sure." I said. "Captain Muscone, touch base with Commander Ross, and bring each other up to speed on things, if you will."

"Yes sir." Tanya said and drove out. Jerome closed the door behind her. As he sat back down, we put our badges on the desk. My bug-killer was 'on'.

"So," I said, "as the old Franklin Covey adage says: seek first to understand. Help me understand why your father wants you to leave the TCPD."

Jerome said "First some background, sir. As you know, my father and I weren't all that close when I was growing up, and we really were estranged when I went to the Police Academy instead of the Navy. I thought things were going a lot better after he came here and saw what we did while he helped Charlie Griswold." (Author's note: 'Fathers and Sons'.)

Jerome: "I also thought that because he was in the Navy, he put that ahead of racial politics. He loved the Navy, still does, and I thought he was more about Navy blue and Army green than black and white politics.... but I was wrong."

Jerome: "When I got down there, he asked me how I felt about taking down blacks that were protesting Police brutality. I told him I didn't see it that way, that we were arresting white people, too... and that no matter what color they were, I had an obligation and duty to protect innocent lives from those committing violence."

Jerome: "He began reciting stories to me, of blacks he knew growing up being subjected to Police harassment and even brutality. And I saw for the first time why he'd been so opposed to me going to the Academy and becoming a Police Officer... because he still holds a bitter hatred of Police to this day."

Jerome: "I asked him about his Navy service, and he said that the Navy was better than the civilian world for blacks, but there was still racism in it, too... and he'd had to retire a Senior Chief Petty Officer rather than a Master Chief Petty Officer because a white Navy Captain held him back when he was younger."

Jerome: "I asked him if he thought the TCPD was racist, and he said it was better than most, that Sheriff Griswold, Chief Moynahan, and you were good people, and he believed you weren't racists... but that when push came to shove, as it's doing now... he doesn't think you'll understand the frustration of blacks. He brought up you crushing that Police-free zone. I told him you took that down before it really got started, saving a lot of lives. He didn't really care; he said the TCPD was crushing more than just peaceful marches... he said we were destroying hope for 'our people' (air quotes)."

I said "Where are you on all that?"

Jerome said "I told him I thought I could make the most difference by working from within the TCPD, that I was as much Blue as Black, if not more. He really didn't like that. He quoted Scripture, saying 'no man can serve two masters', and that I can't be loyal to the TCPD and 'our people' (air quotes again)."

I nodded. "I know it's tough for you, and for Theo and George, and for every black Officer on the Force. And I don't pretend to be able to know just how much it affects you on the inside, seeing as I'm white. So do you know what you want to do?"

"Oh yes sir." said Jerome. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm staying with the TCPD. I just... I just am trying to come to grips with what that is going to mean for my relationship with my father... the end of it."

I said "I don't know if this will help, but I can relate a little bit. My dad did not like it at all when I chose to go into Army ROTC and get a Commission in the Army Reserve. He was a lawyer, mostly in real estate, and darn good at it. And no other lawyer in Fillmore County would defend blacks that got arrested, so he pretty much became the on-call Public Defender, and he did give each case his best effort."

Me: "But he was a Liberal, not in the sense the Media bastardizes the term today, but in the true sense of the word. And he was a Pacifist, and did not like nor respect the military. But I held firm, and got my Commission. Our relationship was cordial but a bit strained after that. It might've been anyway; he was 'old school' stiff and formal, and deeply religious, and I was not. We didn't really talk all that much nor do things together like play ball. But he took care of us."

After a moment of introspection, I said "He died not long after I joined the TCPD, so I don't know how he would've regarded my Police career." (Author's note: 'Interlude', Ch. 04.) "But the bottom line, Jerome, is that I chose the paths I chose because only I could choose my paths, and I had to choose them for me. I can't tell you if that is the right thing for you to do; you'll have to decide that for yourself."

I stood up and picked up my badge, and Jerome did likewise. I said "If you need to talk to our Police Psychologist, let me know; I'm pretty influential with her. And if you need a Chaplain, or if you want to talk to the Chief or Sheriff, let me know that and I'll arrange it. All I ask is that if you do decide to leave us, to let Captain Muscone and me know ASAP."

"I will, sir." said Jerome. "And thank you, sir, for all your help and advice." We shook hands, and he left the office, looking much better than he had when he'd come in...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's not gone yet," said Teresa Croyle, "and until he is gone, I'm not going to worry about it."

My Angels and I were in the back 'Command Room' of the Cop Bar. I had offered to take them all to lunch, on me, and they had all gratefully (and wisely) accepted. Ranks were off, and we were discussing the Jerome Davis situation.

"We have to worry about it, for two reasons." I replied. "First, if he does choose to leave, we need to discuss who the next MCD Lieutenant will be. And second, is this a problem within the TCPD, especially among black Officers?"

Teresa said "Lieutenant DeLong assures me that it's not an issue, that he's talked to black Officers and their morale is good, and they don't have any conflicts that would prevent someone from doing their job. But I also thought that Jerome was one of our most rock-solid guys regarding stuff like that. So maybe people aren't talking to their leaders nor each other, and unexpressed frustrations are being held inside that could lead to trouble later."

Cindy said "I'll ask Captain Thompson about it, see if he's heard anything internally."

Tanya said "Not really changing the subject: what's the word on the McCombs trial?"

I said "It begins next week. Pre-trial motions and stuff on Monday, then they'll seat a Jury, hopefully by the end of the day."

Tanya asked "Who's the attorney for McCombs?"

I said "One of the Union Reps that called Commander Ross a 'little girl' is one of them. I'm not sure who else is on their team. The Union is paying for them."

Tanya said "I heard an unsubstantiated rumor that Gwen Munson is going to be the lead attorney during the actual trial."

"Who told you that?" asked Teresa.

Tanya said "All I'll say is that she contacted the State Crime Lab about the forensic evidence, which is Sergeant McCombs's gun." That meant that Dr. Christina Cho was likely Tanya's source.

I got out my personal iPhone and texted Paulina to check on that. "If Gwen Munson is their legal beagle, that means that Big Players are interested in this case. And I'd like to know why. I also want to know why they're trying to sneak her past us..."

Part 3 - Stark Contrasts

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, June 12th, from atop the building at Riverside and College, with Police Headquarters in the background. "A huge trial involving a white Police Officer is set to begin next week!"

Bettina began: "TCPD Sergeant McCombs will go on trial in what is being described by experts as a shadow trial of Commander Donald Troy. McCombs is accused of attempted murder, abuse of Police power, a hate crime in using racially offensive language during the stop, and other offenses after making what he and the Police Union consider to be a lawful stop of black man who was in the company of a child that had been believed to had been kidnapped."

Bettina: "Commander Troy allegedly assaulted Sergeant McCombs, and his striking McCombs's service weapon is what caused it to fire. As a result, this trial is as much about Commander Troy's actions as Sergeant McCombs's actions. The Police Union has filed grievances and lawsuits against Commander Troy for what they describe as, quote, 'his brutality that put innocent lives in danger', close quote."

Bettina: "The case has been assigned to the Court of Judge Rodney K. Watts, who is black, and also has one of the harshest records in the State for the sentences given to black men convicted in his Courtroom. Sergeant McCombs's defense team and the Police Union are expected to demand Judge Watts recuse himself because he is black."

Bettina: "The prosecution of the case has been assigned to Assistant District Attorney Paulina Patterson. Although black herself, ADA Patterson has often prosecuted black defendants with no thoughts of leniency nor plea deals. District Attorney Miriam Walters recently named ADA Savannah Fineman as the her chief ADA, so this could be a very important case for ADA Patterson's future career with the Town & County's District Attorney's office. Also, Paulina Patterson has often worked closely with Commander Donald Troy, and if he were here now, our colleague Lester Holder would remind everyone that Troy and Patterson had a child out of wedlock."

Bettina: "And Channel Two News has learned that the Defense Team for Sergeant McCombs will be led by Gwen Munson of Prodder, Ryder & Reems, P.C. Ms. Munson is an accomplished attorney that has fearlessly challenged Donald Troy on the stand on several occasions."

Bettina: "Experts tell Channel Two News that the repercussions and ramifications of this trial could be significant. The Black Community is already furious that ADA Fineman refused to drop gun charges against four black men, who strongly maintained their innocence and accused a Police Officer of planting the gun, and not dropping the charges even after those men were gunned down in a mass shooting that the Town & County Police have not solved and seem to take no interest in pursuing. If Sergeant McCombs is not convicted, especially after using racially insensitive language during the stop, the Black Community could perceive this to be yet another injustice against Blacks by the American Court System."

Bettina: "If Sergeant McCombs is not convicted, then attention will be turned to Commander Troy's actions during the incident. The Police Union has already sued the TCPD over his actions, and he could face a Board of Inquest, a new institution that he himself created as Charter Commission Chairman..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Wonder what verdict they're hoping for?" asked Captain Tanya P. Muscone as we drank coffee in the Chief's Conference Room.

"I couldn't telllll." drawled Chief Sean Moynahan. "Bettina was all over the plaaaace on that." I turned and glanced at him. "What?" he asked. "She made a point to mention the Judge and ADA are black."

I didn't respond; I genuinely could not tell if the Chief was serious or if he was trolling me.

"What was with the shots at Paulina?" asked Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle. "Is her job really on the line if she loses this case?"

"This is the first I'm hearing of any of that." I said. "I don't think Walters would fire Paulina over this one case."

Tanya said "I know Penis Holder hates Paulina and Tasha because of you, Commander Troy, but this is the first I've seen of Bettina taking those kinds of shots at them for any reason. What was her motive there?"

"Maybe Savannah Fineman was behind it." said Teresa.

"Ehhhhh... no." I said. "I agree that Bettina has little reason for taking shots like that at Paulina. But I'd bet that Miriam Walters was behind that, as opposed to Savannah."

"Why?" came a chorus, then Teresa added "To fire Paulina?"

I replied "Not so much to fire her as to keep her down and use it against her. Miriam wants to dictate terms on who we have to work with in the D.A.'s office, but Paulina's success rate is the main obstacle to that... we ask for Paulina because she gets the job done, and done well."