Consequences Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I would thinnnnnk..." drawled the Chief, "that Ms. Wal-terrrrs would want her ADAs to be successfulll, and would keep the good ones around. As an analogyyyy, it makes me look a whole lot better when cases here are solved.. by the Iron Crowbarrrr. Incentive to keep you arounnnnnd, Commanderrrr."

"Thanks, Chief... I think." I replied, again not knowing if the Chief were serious or if I was being trolled...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

One hour later, we began the Angels Meeting, with Cindy present. We watched the KFXU broadcast first.

"It's amazing how two news broadcasts one hour apart can be so completely different." the Green Crowbar said. "Catrina and Meredith barely mentioned the McCombs trial, and didn't go through who the players were so carefully. But they did report on the ongoing riots in The City, which Bettina did not even mention."

Teresa replied: "The Governor's plan of sending in National Guard troops and State Patrol Troopers has had a very positive effect, and the dirtbags of KXTC don't want us to see that. The riots in the Ferguson Park district are just about over. We can't tell with The Badlands... two or three murders a night was par for the course in Maxine Watts's district, and that's what we have now."

"Sorta changing the subject," I said, "how is Lieutenant Davis?"

"He's fine, sir." said Tanya. "He appears to have gotten over the shock of what his father said, and he's gotten better every day this week. And he's committed to this Police Force, so I don't have any worries about him in the leadership position he's in."

"Good." I said. "I was a little bit worried about that. Father-son relationships can be... difficult."

"I am the choir." said Teresa. "You are preaching to it." I pointed at her in acknowledgement.

"No doubt." I said. "My own relationship with my father was... well, it wasn't bad. He eased up on me after Elizabeth left home due to his excessive use of religion. And he really didn't like it that I got an Army Commission, but it wasn't like we became totally estranged. And he died very shortly after I became part of the TCPD."

"You know my story, too. My Canadian dad and my real father, Dr. Eckhart." said Cindy. (Author's note: 'Reichenbach', Ch. 05.) "But it worked out, and I was able to reconcile with my Canadian dad before he died." (Author's note: "Teresa's Christmas Story Redux'.) "What about your father, Tanya?"

"If you care to tell the story." I said. It was then that Cindy and Teresa both realized that they'd never heard anything about Tanya's parents.

"No soap operas in the Perlman household when I was growing up" Tanya said. "I think they were surprised when I chose to become a Police Officer, but they were proud of me. They died in that plane crash from New York to London ten years ago, just off the New England coast. I still think terrorists shot the plane out of the sky, but they came up with some idiotic explanation about something sparking fumes in the main gas tank."

"Wow. I said. "That's sad. So... what about the Police Force in general, and the black Officers within it?"

Teresa said "I've talked with DeLong, Carter, Buchannan, Captain Thompson, and several other black Officers, and I tell them to speak freely and with the assurance of anonymity. They all tell me that morale is good, no black Officers are suggesting sick-outs or anything like that. The only problem we've had is Union people going around, trying to gin up interest in a strike because of the McCombs situation, but McCombs is pretty despised and known to be dirty, so there's no support for him... especially against you, Commander."

"Good." I said. "Okay, let's keep on watch for any trouble brewing while the McCombs trial is going on. Teresa and I will have to be at the Courthouse when the trial starts, since we're witnesses. I expect Gwen Munson to be an ass about it, as she usually is, so if something starts up, you might not even be able to get in touch with us. Soooo, the Precinct Captain of the Precinct where the trouble starts will be in charge until Teresa or I can be found. If it grows, the Chief will step in, and likely assign the Green Crowbar to overseeing the kicking of asses and taking of names. Okay, anything else?"

"Just one thing, sir." said Teresa. "You know my aunt, the one that gave the DNA sample to prove I'm a Belvedere?" (Author's note: 'Centuries', Ch. 03.) "She contacted me, and she's invited me to come down to Louisiana to meet the family I never knew I had. Todd and I are thinking about the July 4th weekend..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

2:00pm, Friday, June 12th. Four lawyers entered the Chambers of Superior Court Judge Rodney K. Watts. Three of them were the McCombs legal Defense team, including two Police Union lawyers and Gwen Munson of Prodder, Ryder & Reems, P.C. Paulina Patterson was the lone representative for the Prosecution.

"No one helping you with this, Ms. Patterson?" asked Judge Watts.

"No, Your Honor." said Paulina. She did not add out loud that D.A. Walters had refused to assign her any help of any kind.

"All right, then." said Judge Watts. "Let's go through the pre-trial motions still pending. I see this objection to the Defense list of witnesses. Why is that, Ms. Patterson?"

"Relevance, or lack of it, You Honor." said Paulina. "Those Officers I objected to have no relevance to the case. They weren't at the scene, nor involved in any way."

"Your Honor," said the first Police Union lawyer, "those Officers are being called to testify to the good character of Sergeant McCombs."

"And you could not have had them videotape depositions or give written affidavits to that effect?" asked Judge Watts.

"No, Your Honor." said Gwen Munson. "In-person testimony will have a more positive effect on the Jury. Plus, the Prosecution will be able to cross-examine them, if she so chooses."

"So nice of you to consider the Prosecution in your thinking, Ms. Munson." Judge Watts said witheringly.

"Your Honor," said Paulina, "if the Defense can call those witnesses, can I call two dozen witnesses that will testify to the lack of integrity of the Defendant, as well as Internal Affairs reports regarding him?"

"Unless they are very specifically relevant to these specific charges, no." said Judge Watts. "But your point is well made, Prosecutor, and I uphold your objections to these witnesses. Defense must show relevance, and my window for that is very, very narrow. Okay, what else?"

"Your Honor," said Gwen Munson, "Commander Troy and Lieutenant Commander Croyle are witnesses. We insist they be at the Courthouse, in the Witness Room, during the duration of the trial."

"Your Honor," countered Paulina, "they will be across the Square at Police Headquarters, on call while they're doing their jobs running the Police Force."

"But they should be here, Your Honor," insisted Munson, "and in the Witness Room where they can't hear other witnesses's testimony. And they shouldn't be allowed cellphones, either."

"No, I won't go that far." said Judge Watts. "They have to have a way to be directly contacted, in case a Police emergency comes up. But I agree they need to be at the Courthouse during the trial, though not necessarily confined to the Witness Room."

The Defense tried to have thrown out the audio and video of McCombs calling the black man he'd accosted the n-word. "It will be highly inflammatory to the Jury, and could prejudice their thinking." said Gwen Munson with an absolutely straight face."

"No doubt about that." said Judge Watts. "And considering that the Defendant has been accused of a hate crime under State Laws, it's absolutely relevant to the case."

"Your Honor, we wish to subpoena Commander Troy's crowbar, and put it into evidence." Gwen Munson said. "And he should be enjoined from carrying any other crowbars during the trial."

"I guess you'll be asking me to enjoin the Police from wearing any armor, too." Judge Watts said very sarcastically. "Commander Troy will be enjoined from carrying the crowbar into my Courtroom for the trial, but can still carry it wherever else he wishes to. And as to subpoenaing it? You should've asked for that a long time ago, and I can't imagine the relevance of actually having it in evidence would be."

"We wish to show the failure of the Police to properly process the crime scene." said Gwen Munson.

"Your Honor," Paulina said, "Defense counsel is being a hypocrite. She wants the crowbar in evidence... to show the Police did not take it into evidence?"

"Good point, Prosecutor." said Judge Watts. Gwen Munson's eyes flashed hatred at Paulina.

"Your Honor," said Paulina, "I'd also like to remind the Defense counsel that Sergeant McCombs is on trial here, not Commander Troy------"

"Why isn't he?" the Union lawyer practically yelled. "Your Honor, our defense is going to show that Commander Troy was the aggressor in this incident, and that his actions were wrong and our client's actions were correct."

"All well and good." said Judge Watts. "But I get the Prosecutor's point. If you take it too far off the reservation, or bring up stuff about Commander Troy that is irrelevant to this trial, such as that Morelli baby business, then I will hold you in Contempt, and have you confined... in Commander Troy's jail."

After bickering over everything else that Gwen Munson could possibly bicker over, including times for bathroom breaks (which usurped the prerogative of the Judge of the Courtroom), Judge Watts finished it up:

"I'm going to wrap up with this." he said. "This case has become very important due to outside influences and Media manipulation. I am placing a gag order on all of you. You are not to talk about this case to the Media in any way. If I see leaks, and I will know them when I see them, I'll bring the Iron Crowbar's crowbar down on you like Thor's hammer. This case will be tried in my Courtroom, not in the Media."

"Second," said Judge Watts, "Ms. Munson, the only reason you're on the Defense team in my Courtroom is because Judge Folsom insisted I allow it. But you have two strikes against you already. You try any antics in my Courtroom, any at all, any of your usual crap, and I'll hold you in Contempt of Court and put you in jail for the duration of the trial."

"Your Honor, we have the right to defend our client------" started Munson, but the Judge was having none of it.

"You better do it very scrupulously with regard to the Law and Court procedures." Judge Watts fired back. "You will not waste my time nor the Jury's time, nor will you try any cheap tricks to get a mistrial..."

Part 4 - Sandstorm

10:00am, Saturday, June 13th. As I climbed into the boxing ring in the TCPD Headquarters gym, the well-known techno music of Darude's Sandstorm began playing, at first softly, then rising in volume until the entire gym was engulfed in the noise. The huge crowd was jumping to the music, and were waving either red or blue plastic strips... or white if they were neutral.

Teddy Parker, an Ole Miss graduate, had the correct SEC attitude about Sandstorm. He was wearing a garnet University of South Carolina collared shirt. Football games tended to break out in Williams-Brice Stadium when Sandstorm was played there.

Next to him was Terry Halston, wearing a black t-shirt with the United States Army Ranger tab on the front in yellow lettering. A couple of other SWAT Team members were also wearing black Ranger t-shirts, in solidarity with one of the two Finalists... and because they were entitled to wear those t-shirts. They'd earned their Ranger tabs!

I stood alone in the center of the ring in the crush of sound and motion, waiting for the two finalists to arrive. I was wearing my red golf/polo shirt with the embroidered badge, khaki pants and my gunbelt (this was a uniform, however casual).

And then the roars of the crowd just got louder as the two Finalists came out of their respective waiting rooms and made their way through the crowd to the sides of the ring. The No. 2 seed, SWAT Team member Robert Kalsu, had had his choice of colors, and had taken the blue-trimmed armor and blue football helmet. The No. 4 seed, Vice Detective Joan Laurer, came out in red trimmed armor and red football helmet.

I looked down at Kalsu and said "Would you like a shot... at the title?"

"Don't mind if I do." Kalsu correctly answered. The crowd roared.

I then looked at Joan Laurer and said "Would you like a shot... at the title?"

"Don't mind if I do." Joan answered. The crowd roared some more, and Sandstorm began playing again. As the Finalists and referee Micah Rudistan climbed up and into the ring, I got the heck out of there and back to the main floor, walking over to the Chief, Sheriff, Cindy, and Teresa.

"I've never seen a tan crowbar before." Cindy said, observing Kalsu's crowbar.

"I'm toldddd it's the color of the Army Rangers's berets." said Chief Moynahan.

"Mighty cheeky of Laurer to be using a red crowbar." Teresa said. She looked at me to see a grin on my face, and said "That's not..." I just nodded.

Yes, it was the red crowbar...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

An hour before the final bout, Halston went into the SWAT room, where Kalsu and some of his SWAT teammates were. "Hey Kalsu, I've got something for you." He extended a tan crowbar. "Ranger beret color." Halston explained.

"Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!" said Kalsu as he took the crowbar amid acclaim. "Thanks, Halston!" He high-fived Halston. The others had Halston sit and talk military 'XYZ' talk with them, making him feel like one of them for the first time since he'd come to the TCPD...

Meanwhile...

The Detectives were congregated in MCD with Joan Laurer. Cindy and Mary Milton were also in the room. Joan was cheerful and excited about the upcoming match.

"Maybe if I win," she said as they drank coffee, "the Iron Crowbar will give me an exhibition match."

"I think that can be arranged." said Your Iron Crowbar as I came in the door, to an acclaim. "But you gotta win first."

In the pause that followed, I said "And I have something to help you with that. Since I wasn't allowed to compete and easily defend my title... isn't that right, Green Crowbar?..."

"Harumph!" growled Cindy amidst the 'whoaaa's and catcalls. "The Chief saved you from a Green Crowbar beatdown, is what he did." More banter; we never quit.

"Anyhoo..." I said, and everyone settled down as I continued: "... I won't be needing this today." I held up the red crowbar.

I went on: "I came to the TCPD as a Detective, and I still consider myself to be a Detective... and one of you. So on behalf of the Detectives... maintain its honor." I extended the red crowbar to Joanne. The MCD room erupted.

"Thank you, sir!" Joan gasped as she took it, her eyes sparking. Woe betide anyone who had to face her today. Woe betide...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Back in live time, Referee Rudistan took the mike to make that most important of announcements: "The rule is suspennn-dedddd... to allow the Finalists to use their... own... crowbars!" The crowd roared.

Rudistan called the Finalists up and read them the Riot Act... er, the Rules, emphasizing the one about not hitting the referee. The Finalists clanged their crowbars and went to their corners. The bell rang, Rudistan yelled "Box!", and we were AWN!

Kalsu was very fit, in shape, had Army Ranger training and additional close-quarters-battle (CQB) skills. He was also used to overpowering his opponents, especially females. His only tough contest had been against fellow SWAT member and Ranger Daniel Patrick in the semifinals.

But Joan Laurer was tall for a woman (and a lot of men), very fit and strong, and had trained in mixed martial arts... including 'range time' with Cindy. She had trained hard, knowing what it meant for a woman Police Officer to lose a battle with vicious male perps... to be violently raped before being murdered. Now, she was simply trying to win the trophy. And trying well.

Kalsu was very level-headed, didn't get too emotional one way or the other, which made him a good SWAT member and a good leader. He was fighting the same way, cooly, calmly, looking for openings to exploit and attack. Joan was more energetic, more aggressive, and looked to create openings to exploit and attack.

*WHANG!* *CLANG!*

Kalsu's attempts to power Joan's crowbar out of her hands failed, but in the attempt he had not committed himself to the point of creating a weakness. Both sides continued their feints and probes.

"If there's no winner at the end of the third round," Cindy asked me, "then who's the Champion?"

"It goes on, since neither is defending Champion." I said.

*WHANG!* *CLANG!* *WHANG!* *CLANG!*

Another flurry of blows, but this time Kalsu pressed, and exhibited a shoulder joint. People using red crowbars know what to do with those.

*WHAM!*

Laurer managed a judo throw that put Kalsu on his back, but he was up quickly before she could press an advantage. Still, I could tell he was shaken up by it, and he resorted to a defense posture until the bell to end the first round rang.

"I felt a strong vibe from Kalsu when Joan put him down." Cindy said. "I don't think he's ever quite felt that before."

"Pain? Fear?" I asked.

"Astonishment." replied Cindy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Just as the bell rang to begin the second round, I noticed that Joan Laurer was not looking up at her opponent, but down... at the crowbar in her hands. And I had a sense of what she was realizing: she had the Power of the Crowbar in her hands, and it was time for her to use it.

Robert Kalsu came out much more aggressively than he had during the first round, and attacked. The clangs of iron on iron could be heard over the roars of the spectators as the Finalists finally engaged in personal combat the way a Police Boxing Match was meant to be battled.

"What, is Kalsu trying to wear Laurer down now?" asked Teresa. "If so, it ain't working. She's in as good a shape as he is."

"I don't know what he's trying to do." I replied. "But I get a sense that he's getting desperate to make something happen."

Indeed, Kalsu was getting more aggressive... and more reckless. Laurer must've realized it, and she began a systematic defense that seemingly let him attack her, only to have his blows staved off. She was making him expend a lot of energy, and he was getting nothing for it.

And then... it happened. Kalsu made a strong attack, expecting Laurer to parry the blow, but she did not. She sidestepped it, and Kalsu began going off balance as his blow struck empty air. But as she moved in for the kill, Kalsu deftly stepped to the side and counterattacked her counterattack. It looked like he was going to get her in a hold and take her down, but she just managed to slither out of it and move on past him. The crowd roared as the bell rang.

"This is amazing!" said the Chief excitedly. Neither Cindy nor I said anything, but we could tell in our glances at each other that we were thinking the same thing: this was nothing compared to the great Red Crowbar-Green Crowbar matches of the past.

The bell rang for the final round. I observed that Kalsu was tiring, which surprised me considering his good physical conditioning. Or maybe he was rope-a-doping, faking it. Either way, it didn't work. Laurer began pressing a consistent attack, not enough to make a real move, but enough to keep Kalsu on the defensive. And then for the first time, we heard it:

*CRUNCH!*

It was the sound of metal on plastic. The red crowbar had scored the first hit directly on the opposition's plastic armor, in the ribcage. The armor was good, but the blows still hurt, and Kalsu showed that he was feeling the pain. Joan then moved in for the kill. She began swinging side to side, trying to hit Kalsu on the arms or ribs, and he was barely able to stave off the blows. Then she engaged him in a takedown maneuver we Police used on the streets to bust down perps, and he went down hard.