Conversation by a Burning Bed Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mother and daughter left it hanging, each showing signs of amusement.

He gave in. "Well?"

"They aren't married!" His fiancée said gleefully.

He was stunned. He looked out the window at the two. He saw no rings.

"That's right," his fiancée said. "If you ask them, they are: Partners for life. Friends with benefits. Soulmates without documentation. Common law lawless spouses. Relentless roommates. Or some other ridiculous definition they will make up."

Her mother added a slice of lemon to each glass. "They were married once. It didn't work out. Now they just live together."

His fiancée noted his stunned expression. "I'll tell you the whole story later. Since you are almost family. And to initiate you, I will let you ask them the question so they have the pleasure of bullshitting you. It gives the old geezers a charge."

"Spoiler." Her mother said. "They will eventually tell you that the secret to a long whatever it is that they have is healthy mistrust and a dollop of fear."

He frowned. "That doesn't sound like--"

"Right?" his fiancée beamed. "It's not a Disney movie. It's a real story." She tilted her head in the general direction of the back porch. "Their story."

He stared back out at the rocking pair. "They seem so happy."

"They are," her mother said. She tossed a spoon in the sink and as it clattered on the porcelain turned to her daughter and her future son-in-law. "And if I and my husband are that happy when we retire, and if you two are that happy when you reach that age...." She shrugged. "Then it will have been a good life."

His fiancée looked up at him with love, then out the window at her grans. She squeezed his hand very hard.

12