Conversation Took a Left Turn Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How are the Law classes going? Future Barrister," he asked

"Great, I love it, Mr. Harrison. Why do you ask?"

I love you like my daughter Mary. How's Bobby doing" Is he treating you ok?

"Yeah, great. As a matter of fact, with a concerned look on her face. If it weren't for Bobby, I wouldn't be able to go back and get my degree.

He is more than pulling his load now. Whatever happened in prison seemed to wake him up. He's acting like an adult. But to tell you the truth, I'm waiting on the ax fall. I'm just not sure about him yet.

We had our first real vacation in years. We all went down to Destin for a week. We didn't stay in a five-star resort. But we rented a nice condo for a week and cooked our own meals, so we had money to do other things. And he paid for the whole thing. I feel like we're a family that has two adults in charge.

I just relaxed and laid out and worked on my tan because I knew he was handling things. And that's the way it is at home. Now, he can't do the bills and things like that. But he handles everything else that needs for the family. I just kind of show up now. He never bitches or complains about it. He just does it.

He's at all the kids' events when he can make it. The only time he can't make it is if he is working and just can't get away. He's now the primary parent in their lives.

Mr. Harrison walked around his desk. He leaned back on it and crossed his arms. "I want you to know I saw Bobby yesterday. Damn, is he not in shape? What a tan. I guess working outdoors has been good for him. I wanted you to know I saw him as he was fitted for a suit yesterday.

I was a little concerned about him buying a suit at the same place I shop. I know you said he works a lot of overtime. But some of those suits cost over S10,000. I asked Steve Morrison, a friend of mine, that owns the place, what was up? I had concerns for you. He bought about the cheapest suit he carried in return for a sprinkler system installation installed at cost at his home." Chuckling, "I wish I looked half as good in my suits as he did in his suit tailored for me."

That evening after the kids were down. Mary cornered. Bobby. "What's going on. What are you up to? I am not taking a chance of you doing something that can hurt the kids. I talked to Mr. Harrison today, and he saw you in the most expensive men's store in the city buying a suit.

Are you doing something illegal?" Staring into his eyes.

He turned red, and with embarrassment, he sighed. "I bought a suit for my graduation next week for Jefferson County Jr. College. Amanda found out about it and wanted to go, so I decided to do it for her.

Mary looked hurt. "Why didn't you tell me?".

"Mary," I spoke above a whisper as if I was ashamed, "It's no big deal. It's just an associate degree. I needed it to get my State License to buy and handle pesticides and herbicides. It's embarrassing, a 40-year-old man graduating with a bunch of teenagers.

Mary smiled, "I want you to go and help you celebrate. I'm proud of you, Bobby."

"Mary," It's just a two-year degree. Hell, you got a four-degree, and you're going after your Law Degree now. It's not that big a deal. Really it's not."

'Listen to me, Robert Lee Baurs, I'm going. I know how you struggled with schoolwork with your ADHD and dyslexia in high school. Every time I've seen you recently with a minute of free time, you weren't out drinking or partying, you were studying, and I admire that.

You didn't give up. That's what makes me proud of you. I want all the family to be there. And there's nothing you can do about it."

I chuckled, "Since you used my full birth name, I guess you're coming."

"You're damn straight I am," she yelled over her shoulder as she walked away.

Saturday afternoon, I heard Robert Lee, Baurs, announced from the podium. I walked up a shook the President's hand as I received my degree. I looked out into the Gallery. I saw my family, as well as my mother and Mary's parents, and the old whore herself, Mary's Grandmother. I better keep that to myself.

I met them outside them after graduation to receive hugs and congratulation. "Everybody let's go to Red Lobster for dinner," I smiled. "My Treat."

....

Mary walked into the house to see Bobby nervously waiting for her. She didn't like the way Bobby was looking at her.

"Mary, can we talk, please?" I asked.

Mary knew she wasn't going to like what she was about to hear.

Bobby meshed his lips and said, "Mary, have quit my job and starting my own company called, THE YARD lawn care service.

Mary gasped, "Bobby, how could you do that to me, to us? I've depended on you anchoring us until I graduate."

Bobby straightened up and faced her down. "Mary, this is not a get-rich scheme. I have a business plan that Ralph and I put together. I'll show it to you.

As of right now, I have twenty projects lined up with down payments. They total around 200,000 thousand dollars. I've rented a space at an old warehouse for an office from Peter Hunt. He is a friend of mine. I am going to install a sprinkler system at cost for a year's rent.

That's just the projects I have now. I now have my own company web page. I am planning on doing a bunch of repair work as fill-ins. We are going to incorporate it to protect us personally. You will be given half the shares that makes you my partner. Partner." I gave Mary a big smile trying to calm her down.

"I am going to do it differently than everyone else. I want to do high-end clients when I get big enough. Until then, I'll take any business.

I promise there will be no cheating on taxes or anything. As my pay increases, I'll pick up more of the expenses. I have at least six months saved to cover my half of the house's cost.

Most companies give a one-year warranty. I'll give a five year, with a performance bond to back it up. How can I do this? Furnish only the best quality products.

I will then expand into lawn care. I want to be a one-stop shop for people. I will not only be in town here, but I'm going to expand to the whole Birmingham metro area.

I've talked to the state, and if I hire ex-cons, they will pay half their salary up to $7:50 an hour for two years. I have hired a young man that was handpicked by my friend Dutch. And if Dutch says he's a good guy, then he's a good guy. We'll be wearing Go-Pros for security, and they will automatically download to the web. I can't afford any mistakes, Mary."

Mary thought and was scared, "Bobby, please don't let me down. I know you are working as hard as you can, and I have been proud of the way you're taking on more and more responsibilities. So please, please don't let down again."

Bobby got a big smile on his face and reached over and kissed Mary on the cheek. "Thanks for your support. I won't let you down."

Mary would have liked to have a little more than a kiss on the cheek. She asked, "Bobby, where are you going?"

He stopped and turned, "I've got to get to bed. When you're the boss, you have to get up early to see who comes in late."

Mary had a confused look on her face, "You're the only employee."

Bobby laughed, "Yep."

.........

I was now a business owner and was working harder than I ever had before in my life. Money was rolling in, and I had taken on five more employees.

John had graduated from high school and had signed a D-1 football scholarship to play football at Alabama. The family was sitting at the dinner table when John dropped a bombshell on them.

"Mom, Dad, I have decided I'm not going to college. I'm tired of studying. I am planning on taking off from school for a year. I'll see where I stand after that. Dad don't tell me I need a college degree. You're doing good without one."

Mary was in shock and gave me the death stare when I replied, "I think your right John, some people are not cut out for college." I turned his head so John couldn't see me wink at Mary.

I went on to explain, "Since you're not going to college, you'll need a job, and I need help."

"I don't want to go to work right away, Dad. I just want to relax for a while and enjoy life." John replied.

"Oh, and how are you going to pay rent that is due two weeks? I asked. "And yes, pay rent. You can start tomorrow, or you're out the door. Be ready to go to work at 6:30."

The following Friday, John walked into his office complaining about his paycheck. "Dad, what is this shit? I worked over 40 hours last week and should have been paid a little over $600. You paid me about $375. What's this FICA shit?"

Bobby laughed look at the pay stub John held in his hand, "I had to take out state and federal taxes, Unemployment insurance. Welcome to being a grown-up. Oh, by the way. I have to match your social security." And you owe your mother one hundred dollars rent for the week.

John groaned, rubbing his back, "Dad, do you have something for a hurting back and knees?"

"I do," I replied, "It's called a good education."

That night at the table. John spoke, "Mom, Dad. I talked to the coach at Alabama today, and they really want me. So I promised him I would report in July. I hope I don't put you in too much of a bind, Dad, but I am willing to work up to the time I go."

Bobby looked at Mary as she got up and left the room in a hurry with a smirk on her face as she tried not to laugh. "Well, John," I replied, "I'll get by. But remember this, education and knowledge are two separate things. You were educated this week, and you didn't waste 20 years of your life doing it."

Mary caught up with Bobby later that night, "Wow, Bobby, that brilliant."

"Thanks," as he hurried away.

......

"Hey, Bobby, it's that time of year again. I want you to go to the Christmas Party with me." She could see Bobby's gears turning in his head trying, to get out of it.

Mary smiled, "Bobby, you have nothing to be ashamed of. I know you are doing quite well with your company. I'm very proud of you. I'm begging this time." I nodded my head, yes.

I sat at a table watching my wife dancing with everyone when he heard my name spoke. Bobby, may I sit down? "It was Lori Harrison, Mary's boss's wife."

"Huh," I replied, taking a second to understand what she asked. "Yea, sure, as I stood and pulled a chair back for her to sit down.

She smiled, "God, Bobby, you look great. You look like you're in your early 30's again. Mary says you are doing quite well with your company, and she brags about you all the time."

Bobby just smiled. "Bobby, what are you drinking? I thought you were a beer man. You always said hated hard liquor."

I picked up my glass, tilted toward my lips, and replied, "Diet Coke. I don't drink anymore. It kills the smart brain cells. And God only knows I only have so many left, and I didn't have that many to start with. Not to mention it gets me into too much trouble."

"I want to dance," demanded Lori. "Mary is out dancing with everyone, and you're just sitting here like a knot on a log." She stood up, not taking no for an answer.

I took her hand in his and glided her around the floor. I could feel Lori adjusting her hands in mine. "I'm sorry, Lori, my hands are a little rough. They get wet and chapped. I bang them up, carrying and installing pipe and fittings. And getting the glue off them is a nightmare."

Lori smiled, "Bobby, it's good to actually feel a working man's hands again. Every man in this place has softer hands than mine. Bobby, you're a wonderful dancer. You used to have two left feet. Have you been taking lessons?"

I chuckled, "YouTube Video."

I went back and sat down and took a sip of his drink when Thomas walked over. I stood up, waiting for a confrontation. Thomas gave a halfhearted smile. "High Bobby."

I snapped back, "You'll get your money. As matter of fact, I have been paying ten times what the court ordered me to pay each month."

Thomas, trying to stay calm. "Bobby, I was told you two had an open relationship, and she came after me. If I'd known that wasn't exactly the case, I wouldn't have gone with her. And she apologized to me because she thought you knew. I was hoping we could shake hands and in the future try to remain civil towards each other."

I spoke mildly in an attempt to remain in control of my temper. "I want you to know this right now. I will never be your friend, understand? But with that said. "It was totally my fought, and I moved on from it. And I'm sorry about your knee. I should have just faced you up, man to man. I'll tell you what. We can step outside now, and I'll let you have the first swing unchallenged.

Every one of Mary's actions was caused by me. I'll have to live that. But I don't have to live with you. And am sorry about posting those pictures of you online."

Thomas laughed, "How do you think my wife found me." I snarled. "Just kidding," trying to calm me down. I didn't laugh.

"I came over to talk to about doing my yard. Everyone in the neighborhood is pissed off at you. You did my neighbor's yard, and he is gloating about how bad everyone else's yards look.

And after engaging with you, I don't think you would be interested in giving me a quote. And besides, you're too dam expensive."

"Too expensive, uh!" I responded. "Do you remember the lawyer I hired to sue your law firm's ass? Should I say more about price?" Thomas guffawed at my reply.

"Listen, Thomas. What is between you and me is personal. I have employees that I am responsible for, and they need work. And they expect me to keep them busy. So if you still want me to quote you, have your wife call my receptionist Monday. She'll make an appointment for me to come out.

Unless you get a sprinkler system installed, your yard is going to look like shit. Your neighbor does the full treatment. Fertilizing, weed control, and pest control. You sign a service contract and forget it. Also, we give a five-year performance bond on the sprinkler system.

Even if we go out of business, you're still covered. We bill by the quarter for maintenance. I hope to put on a quality control guy in a few months. He'll come out and inspect your yard monthly. You also get free in-between maintenance service if needed.

With the executive service, you get free aeration in the fall. You get what you pay for. I hope next year to put in a yard mowing service to become a one stop shop for lawn service."

I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Mary standing there looking at us. "Thomas, if you don't mind, I'd like to get my husband to dance with me since this is the last dance and he has danced with everyone here but me. I think I deserve at least one."

Mary giggle and teased me, "I think some of the young interns have had a little too much to drink. They were trying to get a little closer to you than they should have."

I took Mary in my arms. I kept a safe space between us. Mary smiled with pride and said, "All the girls and wives were telling me you have become quite the dancer. How come you didn't ask me to dance?"

"Mary, I didn't ask them to dance to me. They asked me. I just didn't want to do anything to embarrass you. Like I have done so many times in the past. Just trying to be a gentleman."

Mary giggled and teased me. I think some of the young interns have had a little too much to drink. They were trying to get a little closer to you than they should be." I ignored her. She was the one that had had too much to drink. She was repeating herself.

Mary giggled, "You really impressed them with your dancing skills. Have you been taking lessons and not telling me?"

"No, lessons. Amanda and I have been practicing together. As I said, I didn't want to be an embarrassment to you anymore. I know how I was in the past, and I'm so sorry. If I could go back and slap the shit out of the younger me, I would.

I am struggling every day to prove myself to you, so please, give me time to find my way back. I promise I'm not seeing anyone right now, even though we are now in an open relationship. That's ok for you, but not me. I know you keep offering me. For the time being, I have to turn you down. So please forgive me.

You're as beautiful now as the day I first saw you. No, that's wrong. You're even more beautiful today. But I am asking you not to ask." Mary knew he had changed but was beginning to think something happened to him in prison he had to deal with.

"Mary, I am heading to Vegas the first week of March. There will be displayed new lawn spray machinery I want to look at and purchase. All the different manufactures will be there showing their products at one time. I can compare all the products and accessories made at the same time. I also need continuing education credits. So I will be attending professional courses."

Mary kiddingly asked, "You're not planning on getting any other education while you are there, are you, Bobby?" Unfortunately for Bobby, he could never tell a lie without Mary knowing. She knew Bobby wasn't telling the truth. When he said no, Mary caught the fact he looked away from her with his eyes for a split second. She decided not to push the issue that evening.

....

"Mr. Baurs," came over the intercom. "There's a lady out here that says she is your wife. She wants to come back to your office."

"Send her back, Sandra," I nervously replied. Standing up, wiping my sweaty palms down the front of my pants, I waited on her to come back to his office.

She walked in and smiled, "So this is where you go when you're not home." She slowly circled the room, touching and looking at the trinkets that vendors dropped off when making sales call on me. She didn't say anything as she circled the room.

I asked, "What brings you here, Mary?"

"Just looking," she replied. She kept her back to me as she sauntered through my office, acting as if she didn't have a care in the world. Without looking at me, she asked, "When did you hire the receptionist? She is very lovely. What is she, 26, 27? She turned to look Bobby in his eyes."

I bowed his back and barked back, catching Mary's surprise, "I do not know or care. I didn't hire her based on her age. Sandra is on parole, just like me. And needed a job.

Her husband had beat her constantly.

Finally, she had enough. One night, after he passed out from drinking. She sewed him up in his sheets and beat him half to death with a frying pan. She has gotten out on parole and has two kids. She needed a job to support them.

I provide health care and reasonable hours. If her kids are sick, she can answer the phone and work from home. And I needed a receptionist."

Mary gave no reaction to his reply. She continued to wander around looking through the mail on his desk. "Why haven't you invited me down to your office, Bobby?"

"Mary, I wasn't hiding anything. You are working full time and going to law school. You get home and exhausted on weekends. I am trying to make it as easy on you as I can. I hired a housekeeper to keep the house clean and do the laundry.

I make sure that Amanda is where she is supposed to be and is taken care of. And besides, you never asked. I'd give you a tour, but all the trucks are out, and the only thing you'd see is an empty warehouse.

"Listen I'm really busy, and I have three large quotes to get out today. But do you want to go for a quick lunch?"

Mary smiled and replied, "Not necessary. I already have lunch plans. I'm taking your receptionist, what's her name, Sandra, to lunch." with a knowing smile.

I was pissed at Mary for going there, "Go ahead, Mary. I haven't done anything with her that I wouldn't have done in front of you. Unlike some people in their own office." Mary stood in shock. And left without saying a word.

An hour and a half later, I heard laughter coming from the front of the offices. I walked out to the reception area after Mary left.

Sandra smiled, "Mr. Baurs, I mean Bobby. Your wife is a wonderful woman. I just love her. You're a lucky man to be married to a woman like her. She said she would see you after classes tonight." I knew now I had a spy in my office.