All Comments on 'Conversations 10'

by SleeperyJim

Sort by:
  • 48 Comments
A_BierceA_Bierceover 4 years ago
Not HOF, but close, really close

Which only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades, of course. 😇

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Insightful

Why he writes them is why many on this site read them.

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdover 4 years ago
Not Much Here

Fluff.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Dammit, accidental 1*

Scrolling down the page on my tablet and my thumb just hits the star before I realize I've gotten to the end.

I'm all log in from a couple other places and give this the 5's it deserves.

Thanks for giving us readers this little glimpse into the mind of (some of) the authors.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thanks for sharing...

Very insightful & I definitely think this is one of your best, It’s always a luxury to distance yourself & reflect ;) thanks again, looking forward to your next posting

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
5 star story

I gave it two stars as it shoulda been in non erotic

26thNC26thNCover 4 years ago
Every time

Every time you write you raise your bar higher. This was one that I think will resonate with than more than a few LW readers and writers. These Conversations are something that I always look forward to reading.

green117green117over 4 years ago
Well... I like

Meta. I can do meta. This one is more meta than most, perhaps all that I have read ... in this context, that I have noticed...

So, I'm Sean (Shawn?) am I?

Well, it's good to have friends...

Green-something

johntcookseyjohntcookseyover 4 years ago
Cordon bleu

An affecting piece of introspection. Well done. I enjoyed it a lot.

Oh, and I like the Rambo shit too. Some days a burger, and some days cordon bleu.

Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Wrong category

Maybe "Non-erotic"? Maybe the "Boring as hell" category? I did like the grenade analogy. Other than that this just wasn't interesting or entertaining. You hint at their marriages, but never offer much detail. And the Devil is in the details.

2 stars

andyinozandyinozover 4 years ago
Really good.

Really liking this series of Conversations. Really.

:)

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyover 4 years ago
Great

You should adopt a JPB attitude, you write these stories for your own pleasure, catharsis or edification and then offer to share with others.

SomeOneTwoThreeSomeOneTwoThreeover 4 years ago
Interesting.

Very healthy speculation.

Put cleaverly in conversations form.

Top ratings from me.

TheKrrakTheKrrakover 4 years ago
Great introspection

Thanks for sharing this, it really puts the "face" on the reasons why some of the authors write these tales - to purge themselves or heal themselves of past pain.

5/5

MattblackUKMattblackUKover 4 years ago
You just described my life as a professional writer!

Well, except for the script writing. Never went there.

And the grenade and splinters analogy? Probably as good as any I have seen.

maninconnmaninconnover 4 years ago
This is my favorite conversation.

‘Nuff said.

laptopwriterlaptopwriterover 4 years ago
So far...

I've enjoyed every one from this series. Great writing and original.

BriteaseBriteaseover 4 years ago
Rather deep this one

Got me thinking and comparing. I guess you’ve got something there.

etchiboyetchiboyover 4 years ago
Hmmm...autobiographical?

As someone said, the splinters analogy is good... and original.

5-stars & Favorite

bruce22bruce22over 4 years ago
Nice Chat

This story is a trip through the Jungle of cheating. Especially the way it is discovered and its' long range effect on the victim.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
It’s True

Writing helps him see things a little more clearly and reading these stories helps some of us see our past events from a slightly different and clearer perspective. Interesting conversations.

robroy93robroy93over 4 years ago
So good

This is my second Conversation so far. If all the others are close to this good, then I can't wait to read them all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago

It was Stanley Tucci and ice in Lovely Bones.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Just Wondering How Much

Of this was autobiographical. You have a great way of analyizng a situation, dissecting it and providing clever analogies to explain a complex situation clearly. Two cliches you let out were how many of the husbands are engineers and/or own their own business's with an unlimited amout of resources Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
WOULD HAVE LIKED.........

To read about her return home to no one picking her up from the airport, calls going straight to voicemail, mutual friends she called coldly telling her they couldn't find the time to get her and once she got a cab or uber, finding changed locks.

etchiboyetchiboyover 3 years ago
@anony 05/04/20 : Would have liked...

.... you just filled in the outline. Now add a little more of your own imagination to flesh it out. Now you have a “redux” to the story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

I have encouraged patients to write. At the same time I worry about them getting stuck in a cycle and also allow their personal tragedy to morph to general hatred to all men, all women. If we are honest, it's obvious that happens.

amygdalaamygdalaabout 3 years ago

Wow this author is good..seriously good.

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

Very, very well done! 5 BIG FAT STARS. Excellent read!

Cringo31Cringo31over 2 years ago

What a tremendous analogy to the pain of a cheating spouse. This was definitely a 5

Regguy69Regguy69about 2 years ago

Don’t know how I missed this little gem. Quite entertaining. I loved the hand grenade and splinters bit. That rang true to this once divorced guy. I’m going to have to revisit your work and make sure I didn’t miss any others. Thanks for your efforts, SJ.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago
It's easy to know a true friend

He makes fun of your pain, just when you need a kick up the arse to to get you moving on with your life.

AnotherChapterAnotherChapteralmost 2 years ago

Mmm, yes the analogy was very insightful and the image of the grenade going off was grimly appropriate! The banter between friends was what made the back story work. Very well done. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Nous. Thanks for the new word. Pun intended.

Karl_HundassonKarl_Hundassonover 1 year ago

Ah yes, the little niggles that crop up unasked years after you think the pain has all gone.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

I still prefer the ones with special forces in them. But that's just me

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

This is the first of the conversation series that was absolutely, jut plain, beyond redemption. The MC has zero emotional distress. He discusses his betrayal in the same dispassionate many as he would taking a wrong turn on a trip. This totally in your head, devoid of any human emotion is, for want of a better word, insultingly stupid.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Pretty vanilla. And btw 58% of men and 54% of women commit at least one infidelity in their life while in an exclusive relationship of any kind. For actual extramarital affais the numbers drop. Men reach 29% for at least one adulterous affair by there 40 and 50s. Women reach 19% and plateau in the same age range. But that number is up by 50% for women since the 90. More workplace opportunities? Infidelities cover a wider range than an affair: groping, making out, passionate kissing, dirty dancing, setting, an emotional affair, handkobs, fingering, even one time slip. Affairs have repeat performances.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

Pretty monotone.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

I like the hand grenade analogy.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

You should win some sort of award for "enthusiastic idiocy"

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Good for a chuckle or two.

oksideshow859419oksideshow8594195 months ago

How true if only reality didn't the ups and sideways and downs loopholes.....

🫣😵‍💫🤢😱🤡🤬

AnonymousAnonymous4 months ago

The permanent damage caused by the grenade of adultery is why, for every culture, and religion, every ethnicity, any geographic area, for all history until very recently, the mandatory response was a painful, humiliating, and public death for the guilty parties!

ZK

usaretusaret3 months ago

I came close to disliking this one. Strangely unsatisfying.

AnonymousAnonymous4 days ago

Several commentators have cited figures for cheating perpetrated by (heterosexual) men and women.

If we acknowledge that humanity consists of roughly as much men as women, except for the sub-group of elderly folks, and assume that the vast majority in both groups have heterosexual affairs, I don't really believe that there ever was a severe gap in the percentage of cheaters.

Until a few decades ago there weren't that much long term single people, so if there'd been a huge discrepancy, each cheating female would have stepped out twice as often or with twice as many partners than the average male cheater, just for example. I made this number up, but anyhow, the average cheating wife had to have been much more active for a statistic with a big difference to work out.

We have to consider that these statistics have not been drawn from spying on men and women but from asking them. In my experience more wome will not admit to things they shouldn't have done, even under the protective cloak of anonymity, than men. I suppose that forty, fifty or sixty years ago even more women lied about their amoral activities. Some would say that women tend to look at themselves through rose coloured glasses, to avoid feeling guilty and to dodge responsibility. Looking back at the women I've known, including my sisters, aunts and my mother, I'd say there main motivation is to keep the high moral ground as a position of power. Again, I'm not saying all women are that way and all men are different from them or even the opposite. This is about a higher percentage of women not admitting their wrongdoings compared to men.

Other statistics have been skewed in favour of women to, for whatever reasons. For instance, the percentage of women with severe psychological problems has been believed to be much lower than anong men. Some newer studies establish that the numbers are not far apart. Not because these numbers suddenly even out, but because of faulty methods and criteria.

In another story of his dialogue series our esteemed author outed himself as being prejudiced. His male MC says something to the extent that men do cheat more often (present tense!), but that the numbers have converged nowadays. Since this is not completely untrue the sentence should say: "More men have cheated in the past, but the numbers are almost equal in recent times.", to be fair. At least according to statistics. I've laid down my reasons to question same statistics above.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous