Cool For The Summer Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm sure it was coincidentally in an Agatha Christie book somewhere." Teresa said cattily. I chuckled at her pawky vein of humor.

Cindy asked "Sheriff, this Hunter Stenson laptop thing must be pretty big, for the Governor to call for an Independent State Counsel."

"It is." growled Griswold. "Obviously Bettina won't say anything, much less tell the truth about it, but that laptop is a smoking gun. The SBI Inspector's Office, that being Britt Maxwell and Norm Chow, have already found confirming evidence from the phone and text records of the people at the other end of Hunter's texts. They were surprisingly 'not careful' (air quotes) about their transmissions."

Griswold: "They also got Hoyt Stenson's official Legislative daily calendar, and Hunter's texts and emails line up perfectly with meetings with his dad a few days later. And a lot of data on drug buys by Hunter that have been verified in several ways. The bottom line is that we've got him. Hunter is toast... if anyone will prosecute the case."

"Bring it here." said Paulina Patterson. "If the evidence is that good, I'll roast Hunter's ass on a spit."

Cindy said "So why create an Independent State Counsel? Why can't Britt just handle it?"

"I believe Crowbar could answer that." said the Sheriff.

"Yes sir, I can." I said. "And there's two reasons, both rooted in getting things done faster. First, the ISC can impanel a Grand Jury. And if they put together a solid case, they can get an indictment a lot faster and more efficiently. If Britt Maxwell does it the normal way, she can eventually go to a Grand Jury, but it will take more time."

I continued: "And relating to the first reason, if for any reason this thing were to drag out past the November Election, and the Democrats win, especially Stenson, then Britt Maxwell could be impeached and removed from her post as SBI Inspector, and the investigation buried. But by law, that can't be done with the Independent State Counsel."

"So the Republicans have an 'October surprise' all ready to spring on us." Cindy said sourly.

"Nooooo," I said, "remember that early voting commences on October 12th this year, and absentee ballots can be requested and will be sent out a couple of weeks earlier than that."

"So it'll have to be a 'September surprise'." Cindy said, making us chuckle.

"You sure look happy this morning, Cindy." Paulina observed. "Good weekend?"

"Very good." Cindy said. "I didn't realize it showed so much."

"It does." Teresa said "I'd say Tim Jenkins came up to visit."

"He did." said Cindy. "We had a really good lunch Saturday. But that's not why I'm happy. I got some... good news yesterday. And that's all I'll say, so don't ask."

Indeed she had. The day before, after getting home from the meting with Judge Landis, Laura and I invited Cindy, Callie, and Betsy to The Cabin for dinner. It was just the six of us (with Carole included). And while Laura and Callie talked, and Carole and Betsy had a lovefest with two outstanding dogs, I took Cindy into my office and showed her the Immunity Agreement.

"That's great!" she had said, knowing what this meant for Betsy's safety as well as my own. "How'd you make that happen?"

"I don't know why Judge Landis did it." I said. "He said he'd been told about that BAU Agent threatening me, so he lifted the Sword of Damocles from over my head. And I'm not asking why; I'm just grateful for it."

And for some reason, I felt a special delight in framing that document and also Governor Jared's pardon of me, and hanging them on the wall of my office next to the huge map of the Town & County, and just under the framed 'tiny slip' of paper that said "DEER ME, MR. HOLMES, DEER ME"...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello and welcome to Fox University Sunrise!" said athletic blonde Catrina Pierce at 8:00am, Monday, August 16th. "We're glad you could join us on this busy news day. Meredith Peller is on assignment, so we have political reporter Priya Ajmani with us. Hello Priya!"

"Hi Catrina, it's great to be with you today." said the beautiful Indian reporterette. She turned to the camera and said "Term-limited Governor Val Jared appointed an Independent State Counsel to investigate allegations that Hunter Stenson, son of Democrat candidate for Governor Hoyt Stenson, peddled access to his father in exchange for money and drugs."

Catrina: "There are also allegations that texts and emails on Hunter Stenson's laptop show Hunter Stenson using the 'n-word' when talking about Democrat Lieutenant Governor candidate Corey Coons. State Senator Coons did not respond to KFXU's requests for comment."

Priya: "Governor Jared made a statement yesterday on why he is appointing an Independent State Counsel. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Governor Jared saying, in response to a reporter's question: "No, I'm not doing this as a political attack; in fact, an Independent State Counsel will act to clear this matter up more quickly than a standard SBI investigation would. So if there's nothing to it, then Hoyt Stenson will be cleared that much more quickly, and that is more fair to him than allowing a standard investigation to linger."

In response to another question, Governor Jared said: "No, this is not politically motivated. You haven't seen the contents of the laptop, which the SBI has verified is Hunter Stenson's. There is a lot of evidence of potential wrongdoing, and an Independent State Counsel is the best route of accurately determining the facts of the case."

Back to Catrina live: "Lieutenant Governor Sharon Marshall, who is the Republican candidate for Governor, said this at a campaign appearance yesterday. Roll tape."

Tape rolled, showing Sharon Marshall saying at a well-attended outdoor rally: "I support Governor Jared's naming an Independent State Counsel to investigate the serious allegations of corrupt influence peddling by my opponent and his son. I call upon my opponent Hoyt Stenson to stop hiding in his basement and hold a public Press conference, and answer questions regarding these allegations. And I renew my call for Hoyt Stenson to debate me in a public forum in front of a live audience! What is he running away from? What is he trying to hide?" The crowd roared.

Back to Priya live: "Fox Eight News has learned that retired City Police Captain Rockford 'Rocky' Garnett has been named as the Independent State Counsel. Garnett is a tough, grizzled veteran of the City Police Force, known for his integrity, and he was involved in the arrest of City Police Captain Susan Wexler several years ago..." (Author's note: 'Reichenbach', Ch. 01-03 for Rockford Garnett.)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Rocky Garnett." I said as we watched and drank coffee in the Chief's Conference room. "Now there is a name I have not heard in a while. I remember him as Sapper Warren and Robin Ventura's Lieutenant when we busted Susan Wexler, but haven't heard anything since."

"He was offered a promotion to Captain upon his retirement a couple of years ago." said Chief Moynahan. "About the time you took down Bundy McGinty." (Author's note: 'One Night In Bangkok'.)

"So how did he come to be appointed Independent State Counsel?" I asked.

"Captain Wes 'Coldiron' Masters suggested his name to meeeee," said the Chief, "and I passed that along to the Sheriff."

"And I might have mentioned his name to the Governor." said the Sheriff.

Cindy Ross said "But he's not a lawyer... or is he?"

"No, he's not." said the Sheriff. "But I've always said Police Officers almost have to be lawyers to do our jobs. And Garnett was a good leader of his people when he was with the City P.D. So he'll hire good lawyers. And he'll be working with Britt Maxwell and Norm Chow, but they are now in the background to keep political pressure off them."

Chief Moynahan said "Coldiron said that Garnett was offered the promotion in exchange for retirement because he was considered a little too honest and apolitical for his superiors's liking. Carrot and stick approach, very much common in the City P.D..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"And we are live!" said hostess Connie Chen after the women of the hit talk show Point Taken filed into the studio and took their seats, to the raucous applause of the all-women audience.

"We have a great show for you today, and we have a lot to talk about." said Connie Chen. "Before the news of Governor Jared appointing an Independent State Counsel broke---" She was interrupted by loud boos and hisses from the audience. What was not shown was the cue lights that told the audience to boo and hiss.

After letting that die down, Connie continued: "Before that happened, there were allegations that the texts on Hunter Stenson's laptop showed him using the 'n-word' to describe State Senator Corey Coons, who is the Democrat nominee for Lieutenant Governor. Let's bring out Senator Coons now!"

The audience applauded, some louder than others, as Corey Coons came out in a well-fitting suite and tie. His (deliberately shaved) bald head did not gleam too much in the studio lights, thanks to the miracle of television-industry makeup.

"Thank you for coming, Senator." said Connie. "Rosie?"

"Governor... er, Senator," said Rosie Berkmar, drawing chuckles at the deliberate Freudian slip, "Hoyt Stenson is running for Governor, and you for Lieutenant Governor. These allegations that Hoyt's son Hunter used racial slurs about you are beginning to cause some upset stomachs in Democrat circles. What do you say about all this?"

Corey Coons said "First, ladies, I appreciate your networks being the adults in the room and not spewing out rumors like the Jared-loving Fox networks have been doing. Second, after this broke, my Campaign talked to Hoyt's Campaign, and I talked with him. He's assured me that the allegations are 'fake news', completely untrue. He said that he doesn't believe the computer is even his son's, and that this is just a dirty trick by the White Nationalist supporters of Val Jared." The audience applauded, because the cue sign told them to.

The beautiful Zara Zeigler was called upon. She asked "Senator, one issue these allegations have brought out is that your Campaign and Representative Stenson's campaign don't seem to be working together. Do you plan to change that?"

Coons: "The State offices aren't really like the Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates running as one ticket on a national level. The Lieutenant Governor is the 'Speaker' (air quotes) of the State Senate, and I'll have a lot of control of the agenda there when I'm elected. Hoyt is running for Governor, which is the Chief Executive of the State. I'm sure we'll have some joint appearances, but we're also running separately for our separate positions."

"If I may," said Zara, to keep control of the questioning, "I may need to clarify my question. Many people, including many Democrats, are saying you're not running with a unified message. You're talking a lot about defunding the Police and other Minority issues, which is understandable and respectable,. But Mr. Stenson is not. The only policy platform he has really talked about is gun control."

Coons: "Again, we're two different candidates, which is good in that we can talk about different issues among the many problems we have with Val Jared and the Republican Party. But I get what you're saying, and I think you'll hear us having a more unified message in the many weeks leading up to the Election."

Dana McMahon, the very moderately conservative (some would say 'Establishment'), said "Senator, what if the allegations against Hoyt's Stenson's son are true? The SBI has said that the computer does belong to Hunter Stenson, and---"

"Let me say it again." interrupted Coons. "Hoyt Stenson has told me that the computer does not belong to his son, and that everything the Republican-controlled Fox stations are reporting is pure lies."

"But Senator," persisted Dana, "just because Hoyt Stenson is denying his son did wrongdoing, it doesn't mean the allegations aren't true. The SBI has confirmed the computer is Hunter's----"

"He just TOLD you that's not true!" yelled Donna Roselle, the militantly black member of the panel.

Dana went on as if Donna didn't exist: "The SBI confirmed the laptop IS Hunter's, and have confirmed that the emails calling you the n-word, Senator, are real. And for the Governor to be able to create an Independent State Counsel means that there is fire under that smoke---"

"Let's go to break." said Connie Chen, interrupting Dana and rescuing Corey Coons from any embarrassment. They show immediately went to commercial advertising...

Part 20 - Exercise of Government Power

11:00am, Wednesday, August 18th. Lt. Commander Teresa Croyle texted me on my Police iPhone to say she had two visitors that needed to talk to me. I told her to bring them to my office, and for her to come in with them and sit in on the meeting.

A moment later my assistant Helena admitted Teresa, along with Todd Burke and Rudy 'Bulldog' Louis. I had them sit down in the hot chairs. In open disrespect for what the great Rush Limbaugh called 'feminazis', Teresa poured coffee for all of us before sitting down in a chair between her husband and the BOW Enterprises attorney.

"Problems, I perceive?" I said.

"Yes sir." said Todd. "On Monday morning, BOW Enterprises was informed that Archie Brody's security clearance was revoked... not suspended, but fully revoked. I was told at that time that it was expected that Brody's employment would be terminated as a result."

"So much for 'innocent until proved guilty'." I said. "But do you have to fire him? Couldn't you find him a role that doesn't require a security clearance?"

"That was my first thought, too, Uncle Don." my nephew said. "However, yesterday morning I was called by a civilian in the Department of Defense, who is my liaison to the Government vis-a-vis our contracts. He asked why Brody had not been formally terminated yet. I told him Brody was under house arrest, that we'd shut down any computer access he had to us, and that we were awaiting the results of his fair trial by a jury of his peers before taking 'harsher' steps."

Todd Burke: "He said that wasn't good enough, and that if we didn't immediately terminate Brody's employment, then literally every BOW employee would have their clearances revoked. And on top of that, our contracts with the DOD would be ended."

"Geez!" I muttered, shocked. "Can you fight that?"

"I could, Uncle Don." said Todd. "But we'd lose. And what's more... after we got the contracts for those baby choppers, we ramped up production... hiring people, buying the parts and machinery to make more of them... and we're just beginning to recover those outlays as we produce and deliver the choppers."

I nodded in understanding, then said "And if they shut you off now, it'll be hell trying to get any money from them to cover those costs."

"It won't happen. I'll be left holding the bag." Todd said. "Uncle Don, I'll just say it straight out: they've got me by the balls. They can dictate these terms to me and I have to accept them, or BOW Enterprises will be facing disaster. And if my employees's clearances are revoked, it'll be hard on them to find new jobs that require clearances."

After a pause, Todd continued: "So I did what I had to do... I terminated Archie Brody's employment yesterday. And that's where Rudy comes in."

"Yes sir." said Louis. "Todd tried to report it as a layoff, and reported to the Unemployment Office that he would not contest Brody getting unemployment benefits. So I went this morning to apply for benefits on Archie's behalf... and I was told that the Federal Government, specifically the FBI, had contested the layoff, saying that it was a termination for cause, or should be, and that Brody should not be given any unemployment benefits."

"Can they do that?" I asked.

"Yes sir... well they did do it." said Rudy. "Is it legal? That'll be an expensive, time-consuming Court fight against the full power and unlimited financial resources of the Federal Government."

"What's more, Uncle Don," added Todd, "I got another call from my contract liaison. He 'apologized' for not being more clear before, then told me that a layoff was not sufficient; that I had to terminate Brody for cause. He said I should amend my form to the Unemployment Office to reflect that, so that I could not be accused of making a false statement on the form. So I did what I had to do."

Rudy Louis said "They've also frozen Brody's bank account. He has no money, and no means to get any money. He can't even buy food."

I was told later that I had a very dark look on my face as I contemplated that information. Finally, I looked at all three of them looking at me.

"Shigata ga nai, neh?" I said.

"Sir?" Teresa asked, shocked.

"There's nothing we can do." I said. "Jack Muscone is going to destroy Archie Brody, come hell or high water, just to make a point. And he has the full power of the Federal Government to do it."

"With respect, sir," said Teresa,"are you sure it's him behind this?"

"Of course." I said. "How else does Todd's civilian liaison in or near Washington know what's happening in our local Unemployment Office? This is not the Swamp Frogs, this is Muscone, purely on a personal vendetta, and refusing to admit he was wrong..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the redheaded MILF reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, August 20th, from the parking lot between the Federal Building and the Old Post Office building. "Edward Blassingame is to be freed from prison!"

Bettina began: "In a stunning move yesterday, Federal Judge Ruth B. Taney ruled that Edward Blassingame's plea deal and confession of Federal crimes was broken because the Federal Government did not meet their end of the plea bargain. She has ordered that all charges against Mr. Blassingame be dropped with prejudice, and that Mr. Blassingame be released from prison."

Bettina: "U.S. Attorney Richard Baldwin, who made the plea deal with Edward Blassingame, said that freeing Mr. Blassingame is, quote, 'the right move', because, and again quoting Mr. Baldwin, 'Commander Donald Troy of the TCPD prevented us from honoring our side of the deal', close quote. Commander Troy did not respond to repeated requests by KXTC and the SNN Networks for comment."

Bettina: "However, U.S. Attorney John Jones did file an appeal of Judge Taney's ruling, and Mr. Blassingame is under house arrest while the appeal process continues..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"The party never stops, does it?" I said as the Sheriff, Lt. Cmdr. Croyle, Commander Ross and I drank coffee in my office.

"Now why did Judge Taney go and do that?" asked Teresa.

"This is where Commander Ross gets to say that it's all about me." I replied.

"It's always all about you, Commander Troy." intoned Cindy. "But in this case, why?"

I said "Well, it's really more of a proxy fight between Judge Taney and Judge K.M. Landis. When I met with her recently, she rebuffed giving me an Immunity Agreement; she even refused to allow the Union call me as a witness so that it wouldn't come into question." (Author's note: 'The Whole Nine Yards', Ch. 02.)

I continued: "Judge K.M. Landis did give me that Immunity Agreement, which truly hurt the Swamp Frogs that wanted to use the issues involved against me again, and likely would've done so when Amber Harris gets out of jail in a few weeks with no parole to worry about. Judge Taney retaliated by freeing Edward Blassingame."

"Where's Captain Muscone?" growled Sheriff Griswold.

"In her office, Sheriff." said Teresa. "She'll be here at 8:00am on the dot for the Angels Meeting, but she just doesn't socialize with us since that riff between Jack and Don."