Cora, Goddess of Spring

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I knew I had to get some sleep. I hadn't been up that late in a long time, but I had an overwhelming urge to get back to Cora's song. Unfortunately, my guitar was still at Plato's. Oh well, I was too tired to write anything decent anyway, so I lay down. That was the last thing I remembered until morning.

When I woke up, Cora was, of course, my first thought of the day. I was going to call her but had to shake the cobwebs out of my brain, first. I rinsed off my face before picking up my phone just as it rang. My grin went from ear to ear when I saw who it was.

"Hi, gorgeous."

She chuckled, "Hi, yourself. Are you up yet? I was afraid I'd wake you."

"No, I'm up. I was just about to call and ask you out for breakfast."

I heard her laugh, damn, what a beautiful sound. "Food seems to be on everyone's mind this morning. I was calling to see if you wanted to go on a picnic a little later. Jen and Bob called and invited us to join them. Cindy said she and Jason were going, and I was calling to see if you can make it."

"Yeah, that sounds like fun. Where are we going?"

"The nature center. If you want to come over here we can all go together. Bob's picking us up in his Explorer. It seats seven."

"What time do you want me there?"

"Bob's coming about eleven, but you're welcome anytime... what?" She was obviously pulled away from our conversation by someone else in the room, "Okay... Cindy wants me to ask you to bring your guitar, but that's entirely up to you, Gray; I'm not asking you to come just so you can entertain us."

"I don't mind at all, but I left it at Plato's last night," I replied.

"Oh, that's right."

"I don't want to leave it there all day anyway, but they don't open till ten. I have to take a shower yet, so I'll walk down there and get it as soon as they unlock the doors. By the time I get to your place though, it'll probably be about quarter to eleven."

"That's okay; if you're late we'll wait for you."

"What do you want me to bring food-wise?"

"Just bring yourself, Gray, we have the rest covered."

"I'll see you in a little while," I said before hanging up. You couldn't have pried the smile off my face with a crowbar. Even though she said I didn't have to bring anything, I knew of a little deli down the street that made the best potato salad known to man. I grabbed a shower, picked up my guitar at Plato's, stopped at the deli, and walked six inches above the sidewalk all the way to Cora's apartment.

On the way, I thought about how my life had already changed after seeing Cora that first time. I was in my fourth year of college. A few people on campus knew me from Plato's and would sometimes say hi, but I really hadn't made many friends. Between my studies and music, I just didn't get out that much. I knew I still had to keep up my grades and I definitely had to keep writing music, but I was finding there was more to life.

The picnic turned out to be the most fun I'd ever had away from my family. I let them persuade me to play a few songs and wound up drawing a crowd. I saw a few had their cell phones out and were recording. Cora jumped up and started promoting me, telling everyone I performed on Fridays at Plato's. It was the first time anyone had actively publicized me like that. I was in seventh heaven.

We all went back to the girls' apartment afterward, but everyone had studying to do so the party broke up early. I was surprised to see Scott hovering over a book when I returned to my room. I looked around; everything was immaculate. He'd cleaned the whole place and I could smell air freshener.

"I, ah... I guess I made an ass of myself last night, didn't I."

"That's putting it mildly," I responded curtly.

"Really pissed, huh?"

"Pissed enough that tomorrow I'm going to see if I can move."

"Oh, come on, don't do that. Look, I'm sorry... really. I promise never to do anything like that again. I don't know what got into me last night. I... I think maybe I was a little jealous—all that talk about settling down and stuff.

"When I saw you walk in with Cora and knew how you felt about her... I don't know, man; all of a sudden I felt I had to prove you wrong and me right. I really am sorry. I've been thinking about it and maybe you have a point, I mean about finding someone special. By the way, Cora is every bit as beautiful as you claimed. You're a lucky man. Please, tell her how sorry I am."

I know I'm too easygoing. I can't help it; I have a soft heart. It was against my better judgment, but he really did seem very remorseful so I decided to wait a little while and see what happened before asking to move.

On the following Wednesday, Cora and I went to the show. On the way back, we stopped at Plato's for coffee. As we sat down to talk, Cora asked if I'd seen any of the YouTube videos from Saturday.

"No, I didn't even think about it."

"Well, you might not have found them anyway. We have to get you some business cards. I started looking on Sunday but couldn't find anything. No one knew who you were or the name of your songs. I was telling everyone in the crowd that you played here so Jen suggested I search for Plato's and voila, I found several. Here, look," she said, pulling out her phone.

She flicked through three or four while I watched. "I'm sure there's more, but who knows how they're worded."

"Did you try 'nature center?'" I asked.

Her eyes widened along with her smile. "No, I didn't." She typed it into the search engine. I could tell by her smile that more popped up.

"Well?"

She turned the phone around so I could see. The whole page was of me. There were comments under several of them. A couple were nasty, but most were very flattering.

"You're going to be a star, Gray; I just know it."

"I don't know about that," I replied modestly, "I just hope to be able to make a living doing what I love... like you."

"Me? What makes you think I love teaching?"

I chuckled a little. "Well, I doubt that you're in it for the money. Between having to put up with parents, school boards, politicians and problem kids, I can't think of another reason anyone would want to be a teacher except that they love it. They love the idea of helping young people grow into respectable, moral and prosperous adults who benefit society by becoming part of it, am I wrong?"

"No, Gray, you're not wrong and it's really nice to know someone who respects the profession like that. Thank you."

When I told her how much I admired the profession it kicked off a discussion on what we wanted to do with our lives and how we saw ourselves in another ten years. Before we knew it, the lights were flashing indicating closing time.

That Friday, I walked into Plato's at my usual time and was stunned; there were only three tables left in the whole place. I saw Andy behind the counter helping the staff. "Jesus, Andy, what are you giving away?"

He gave me a big smile. "They're here to see you, Caruso."

"Me?"

"Yeah, they're all asking what time you start. Listen," he said seeming a little concerned, "would you be able to do more than your usual three songs tonight? We only have four other acts signed up so I'd like to put you on last and you could play as long as you want. You could play until closing if you wanted. I could hold everyone else to two songs if you wanted more stage time."

I was dumbfounded. "Jesus, Andy, I don't want to cut into everyone else's time. Go ahead and introduce me last and I'll play until I see everyone getting tired of me, how's that?"

"You got it," he said with enthusiasm.

I watched as more people came in. "Andy, I'd better grab a table or there won't be any left. I've got some friends coming tonight."

"Don't worry about that. When I saw how packed the place was getting, I reserved those three tables in front for the acts. If you need more chairs just let me know; I have more in the back room."

I thanked him and grabbed one of the tables. I wasn't sure how many were coming. I laid my guitar case on top of the table and kept an eye on it while I stood in line for coffee. I was just sitting back down when I saw Cora walk in with the whole crew. I waved them on over.

"Holy cow," Cindy exclaimed, "I'll bet all these people are here to see you."

"Well, probably not all of them but I guess most of them are, according to Andy, anyway."

"It doesn't surprise me at all," said Cora as everyone took their seats. "Have you checked YouTube lately? Some of those posts have a couple hundred comments. Some people are asking if you'll be playing in their area anytime soon."

It was all so unreal. I had been playing guitar and singing since I was nine years old and it was the first time anyone but a few friends had ever shown a real interest. I told everyone at the table about Andy's offer.

Bob asked, "So how long do you think you'll play?"

"I don't know; it kind of depends on the crowd. If they stay and look like they're enjoying it, I'll play until closing I guess, but if they start walking out, I'll quit."

Just then I heard, "Shit," from Jen.

"What's wrong?"

Jason answered. "Your roommate just walked in."

I looked toward the door and sure enough, there he was with yet another girl. He saw us and walked over with some apprehension. He lowered his head. "I want to apologize to everyone," he said, "I was drunk and way out of line the other night." He looked over at Cora. "I especially want to say I'm sorry to you, Cora. I hope you'll forgive me."

She looked at me. "What do you think?" She asked. "Should I forgive him?"

"That's up to you," I replied. "He asked me not to change rooms and so far, I haven't."

She looked back up at Scott. "Okay, if Gray thinks you're worth a second chance, then I forgive you... but don't ever let it happen again."

"You have my solemn oath," he responded. He introduced his companion as Heather, then started looking around for a place to sit. He spotted the other two tables but saw the reserved signs. He looked at his date, "Do you mind standing?" She shook her head and told him what she wanted to drink. Bob looked at me and I read his thoughts. I looked around the table and knew everyone was thinking the same thing.

"Scott," I said, catching his attention before he headed for the counter, "see the guy in the blue shirt back there? His name's Andy; he's the manager. When you get your coffees tell him you need two more chairs for our table." Both he and his date thanked me. I stood up and offered my seat to Heather and waited for Scott to return.

With Scott on his best behavior, we all talked and had a good time for the next hour until Andy introduced me. I wound up playing until they closed. It was the closest I'd ever come to having a real show.

I guess the word got out because the following Friday night was an absolute madhouse at Plato's. Cora and I walked in together. I saw the same three tables had reserved signs on them so I told Cora to grab one while I got the coffee, but before she had a chance, one of the baristas called to me and said Andy wanted to see me in his office.

"You go ahead, honey, I'll get the coffee and wait for you." It was only the third time she'd called me honey, and I felt my heart flutter every time.

"Absolutely not," I said. "Come on." I leaned in and kissed her as I took her hand. Andy was sitting at his desk when we walked in. He immediately stood and walked around to greet us when he saw Cora.

"Hi," he said as he reached his hand out toward her, "I've seen you sitting at Gray's table but haven't had the pleasure. I'm Andy, I run the joint."

She gave him that million-dollar smile. "Hi, Andy, I'm Cora," she said as she shook his hand.

"Here," he said, indicating two high-backed, leather chairs, "have a seat." He walked around to the other side of his desk and sat down. "Gray, have you ever met Barry Simpson? He owns the coffee shop and the adjacent bar."

"I don't think so, Andy, why?"

"Well, he was wondering if you'd be interested in doing a complete show in the bar some Saturday night. They usually have a rock band, but when he heard how you packed this place he thought about booking you as a singles act for a change of pace."

"Oh, I don't know, Andy, how long would I have to play?"

"You'd play from nine to twelve with two, fifteen-minute breaks between sets."

"Would I get paid?"

"Oh, yeah, of course. You'd get the door."

I must have looked stupid. I had no idea what he was talking about. What the hell was I going to do with a door? Andy saw the look on my face and elaborated.

"An hour before you go on, they start charging a cover charge to get in, ten bucks a head. At the end of the show, you get the money they collect."

"All of it?"

"Yeah, all of it."

"So, if fifty people come to hear me, I get five hundred bucks?"

He chuckled, "Yeah, but Gray, you had over seventy people in here last Friday and I think there's more than that tonight; although, don't tell that to the fire inspector," he joked, "we have a maximum capacity of sixty-five people. The bar averages about three hundred people on a Saturday night. Of course, that's when they have a rock band, but let's say you only bring in half that many, that's still fifteen hundred dollars."

Cora and I looked at each other. "What do you think?" I asked her.

"Honey, it's entirely up to you, but I know you, Gray. You're the only one out of our whole group who doesn't know how good you are. If you turn it down, do it because you want to, not because you're scared."

I thought fifteen hundred bucks would make a good start on an engagement ring. I turned to face Andy. "When would he want me to go on? I'd have to practice some of the songs I haven't done in a while."

"That's no problem, Barry likes to start advertising a month in advance. Would that give you enough time?"

"Yeah, that'd be plenty." I looked at Cora again and saw her smiling. "I'll do it," I said.

"Great, do you have any cards on you? I'll give one to Barry so you guys can talk and get everything all set."

Cora looked over at me. "See, I said you needed cards," she chuckled.

"You don't have cards," Andy questioned. "I agree with Cora, you should get some made. Here," he said, sliding a piece of paper and a pen across his desk toward me, "write down your number."

I wrote my number down and we all said our goodbyes. Cora took my guitar for me and sat down at one of the reserved tables while I got coffee. She gave me a big grin as I sat down. "Are you scared?"

"Petrified," I responded.

"I'm so proud of you." She leaned over and gave me a soft kiss on the lips.

"Get a room, you two."

Of course, Cora and I both recognized the voice and looked over to see a grinning Cindy walking in with the entire group in tow. After all the greetings were done and everyone was sitting, Cora couldn't wait to tell them the news.

"Guess what, Gray is going to do a whole show at the lounge next door."

"No kidding?"

"Hey, all right, man."

"Congratulations, Gray."

The accolades were coming fast and furious. "Nothing's in stone yet," I said. "They could still change their mind."

"There you go again," Cora groaned, "always the humble one. When are you going to learn to toot your own horn once in a while? I don't mean you have to be arrogant or boastful, but a little self-promotion wouldn't hurt."

Of course, Bob had to throw his two cents in. "She's right, Gray. You've been in school what, almost four years, and most of my fraternity brothers had never heard of you until last week. After hearing you sing, they were asking why we never offered you a membership."

It was all very flattering, but I always figured one day my music would speak for itself. Still... I guess there was nothing wrong with being a little assertive. "Okay, okay, I'll order some business cards online tomorrow."

Cora looked around the table. "Hey, it's a start," she laughed, along with everyone else.

That night I did my normal three-song set and was getting ready to leave the stage when someone from the audience called out a request. I looked over at Andy to see what he thought. He had his hands together like he was praying for me to do it, so I did. Before I could leave, someone else yelled out another and then another. I wound up playing for a good hour over my allotted time.

I really thought my friends would be asleep by the time I returned to the table; after all, they'd already heard most of the songs before. I was pleasantly surprised to find everyone energized and talking about one song then another. Jason asked where I found my inspiration. I told him anywhere and everywhere.

We were just getting ready to leave when Andy walked up with a tall, good-looking gentleman who appeared to be in his early fifties. He introduced the distinguished-looking man as Barry Simpson, the owner of Plato's lounge and coffee house. We also learned that he owned The Westminster House, one of the swankiest piano bars and cocktail lounges in the city.

I introduced everyone before he reached over and shook my hand. "You know, when Andy approached me with his idea, I wasn't too keen on it. Saturday nights at Plato's lounge has always been synonymous with rock and roll. We've had the best bands in the city, Byte, Speechless, The Day Dream Believers, they've all played there many times, so when Andy said you were one guy and played a kind of folk rock, well, let's just say I wasn't impressed; tonight, you changed my mind.

"I watched the audience while you were playing. I saw some people laugh when you wanted them to, I saw those same people cry when you wanted them to. You had them in the palm of your hand, Gray. I'm really looking forward to having you at the lounge. I assume you have classes during the day, so I'll give you a call after dinner in the next couple of days and we can hash out the details." He looked around the table, "It was nice meeting you all. If it's okay with Gray, I'll have free passes for all of you on the night he plays." Of course, that was going to be okay with me.

The table was kind of quiet after he left. I think everyone was a little in awe after meeting Mr. Simpson. He was an impressive man. What stunned me was what he said about Andy. I looked at Cora, "Andy neglected to tell us it was him who suggested I play at the lounge."

"Yeah, he sure did. That was really nice of him. This could turn out to be a really big break for you, Gray." Everyone agreed with her, but I didn't want to count my chickens...

The following Wednesday, I took Cora out for dinner and a show. About halfway through the movie, Cora leaned over and put her head on my shoulder as she reached for the popcorn. "We have the apartment all to ourselves for the whole night," she whispered.

I'd never gotten a hard-on so quickly in my life. It was like a jack-in-the-box. I couldn't wait for the stupid movie to end. We didn't wait for the credits. As soon as the last word was spoken, I grabbed Cora's hand, and said, "Let's go." She giggled as we walked up the aisle toward the exit.

"Tonight, it's my turn," she told me in the car.

"We'll share," I replied with a big grin, and share we did. We took turns back and forth as we sensuously undressed each other. This time, I didn't stop her from going down on her knees. She used her lips, her tongue and her fingers, making me so hard I was in pain.

She knew exactly when the time was right. "I'm already wet, baby, just put it in," and I did. This time, as difficult as it was, I managed to hold off and was able to send her over the top before coming together again.

We made the most of the evening and woke up in each other's arms the next morning. It was the most incredible night of my life.

Over the next couple of weeks, we were able to get the apartment to ourselves three more times, but never all night. It would be two hours here, two hours there; still, I was winning her heart, I could feel her falling in love with me, and by that time, she knew exactly how I felt about her.