Country (Af)fair

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Wait, wait, wait. That was it. I had to go to the post office and see if I could access the contents of the box. I slipped on my shoes, got in the car, and drove to the post office. With fear gripping my heart, I approached the counter and told the assistant I was Kevin's wife and needed to access his post office box.

'It's a company account, so if you've lost your key you'll need a letter from the director on company letterhead, and you'll need to pay a replacement key fee,' the Australia Post staffer explained.

'If I get Kevin to write me a letter this afternoon, how long would it be until we get a new key?' I asked.

'Maybe a couple of days? I can open the box for you each day until the new key arrives.'

I went back home and found an old ream of Kevin's company letterhead. I wrote a letter requesting a new key, forged my husband's signature, then returned to the post office box.

Less than an hour later I had absolutely handfuls of mail.

I don't know what I was expecting to find, but I'll tell you what I received:

Letters from betting companies

Overdue notices from credit card providers

A letter of demand from the taxation office for overdue taxes and non-lodgement of business activity statements

My husband had a gambling problem.

How much of a problem, you ask? Let's just say that at my last count, and after much investigation undertaken by a private investigator I hired, Kevin gambled away over a million dollars, all while I shopped at Aldi and refinanced our home and put off having a child. Over and over and over he lied to me, and when the truth came out and I confronted him, what did he do?

He cried.

He cried.

And I forgave him. I forgave him because he promised to get help, but he didn't. He didn't get help. He got a regular job and spent each pay check the way he'd spent the money he'd earned from his business.

I told him I was leaving. He begged me to stay, and so I stayed, still not yet ready to give up on my marriage.

For months we lived together in a state of permanent, mutual misery. He gambled away every cent he earned, while I financially supported us. Then he stole fifty dollars out of my wallet. I knew he did it. He knew he did it. But he lied and he lied until he knew there was nowhere to go. To spend his own money was one thing. To spend mine, to steal it and to lie about it, made me realise there was no level he wasn't prepared to stoop to.

That night, as I lay in bed beside him, I realised I couldn't take this anymore. I told him his snoring was bothering me, took off my wedding and engagement rings, and went to sleep in the spare room.

Fifteen days later I slept with Floyd. Two days after I slept with Floyd, a real estate agent listed the marital house for sale, and forty-six days after that, the house was sold. On the day of settlement, Kevin asked me where he was supposed to go.

'I don't care,' I replied honestly.

'Because you're moving in with a twenty-two year old,' he said bitterly. 'You'll cheat on him, just as you cheated on me. Either that, or he'll want to find someone his own age, and he'll kick you out.'

I thought about the money Kevin had gambled away.

'I'll take my chances,' I said.

Eighteen months have passed since the day I walked out on my husband. I've been married for two months and I'm six weeks pregnant. I'm happy, Floyd's happy. At night my new husband strokes my bloated stomach and talks about the future. He doesn't earn half of what Kevin earns, but he brings every cent home.

Kevin is still gambling.