All Comments on 'Crazy for Loving You'

by trigudis

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfirealmost 2 years ago

Really sweet tale and shows that honesty is critical if a relationship is going to last. Nathan’s temptation was a critical point in making him decide that he really wanted. Glad to see he decided well. Great job.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

As a cyclist, I really appreciate and approve of this stoey(:

oldsage_1oldsage_1almost 2 years ago

Great sweet romantic tale. Thanks for the Patsey Cline references. She will be in my head the rest of the day. You missed my favorite "Tennessee Waltz".

Cheers

SAGE

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Really fine writing. I think Amanda took a giant leap of faith trusting Nathan to resist any present and future temptations. The way you wrote it, it seemed to me that Nathan had some hope that Amanda would give him a "hall pass" to experiment with Phyllis. For that reason, for me, the romance index dropped for this otherwise fine story. I would rather he would have resisted temptation immediately, and just tell Amanda that Phyllis tried and failed to seduce him.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

2 stars, and that is generous. This guy did not know what love is, otherwise he would not even have thought of sleeping with another woman, especially the one that offended Amanda. But then, without this „incident“ the story deflates immediately and completely.

trigudistrigudisalmost 2 years agoAuthor

Thanks to all who read and commented. To Anon who said that Nathan "did not know what love is, otherwise he would not even have thought of sleeping with another woman..." -

People are complicated. Love is complicated . Nathan, like many men - and women - almost let his carnal desires get the best of him. He could have easily let what discipline he had, slip, and then slept with Phyllis. He was conflicted over what direction to go in, and that conflict produced the drama and tension I wanted to create in the story. Nathan could have rejected Phyllis' advances right away, thereby avoiding the drama and tension that followed. But how compelling would that be? Not very. Love, not lust, triumphed in the end.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing this. I think you are one of the most consistently excellent writers on Lit.

I did find the semi-les scene a bit incongruous, but not to the point of detracting from the story.

EzrollinEzrollinalmost 2 years ago

A well written, insightful romantic love story. I don't know if it was just part of the theme or if it is part of your mind set... I'm referring to the "college" thing. While I'm all for education, college is not the "be all, end all." Some of the people I grew up with, went to college, I went through an electrical apprenticeship and started my own business. Some of them graduated, some got caught up in the "college life" and didn't. My net worth today exceeds that of the ones I've kept track of by a fair margin. I will admit to a lot of self education, just never was interested in the college thing.

'

OvercriticalOvercriticalover 1 year ago

I think the key issue of this tale is Amanda's lack of education. Anyone who equates rapid absorption of Microsoft Office with the sophistication of a general liberal art education does not understand what college is all about. When I was in my third year of engineering undergraduate school I was complaining to one of my professors about how difficult it was to learn all the detailed information required to solve problems: equations, data, relationships and on and on. He said something which resonated then and now and is relevant to this story. He said that I didn't need to learn all the information - all that can be looked up when you need it. You have to learn how to solve problems, how to develop a workable approach to a situation. That 's what you go to college for. Amanda had the right raw material, but without the intellectual environment she wouldn't be able to develop the problem solving skills to advance. When I was a young man in the middle of the last century it was not uncommon for college trained men to be attracted to and marry non-college trained women and marry them. It almost never happens today. Doctors don't marry nurses and lawyers don't marry secretaries and paralegals. I has caused a significant gulf to be created between social strata, for better or for worse. It has also created the uniform neighborhood where you never find the plumber living in the house next to the doctor. Read Charles Murray's "Coming Apart" for more detail on this phenomenon. 4* for a thought provoking read here.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usertrigudis@trigudis
Free-lance writer who enjoys reading mostly non-fiction but also Nicholas Sparks romance novels and "serious" lit (John Updike, Irwin Shaw, Philip Roth, Herman Wouk). I enjoy writing these stories because it entertains me as well as the readership. Lit is unique in that wri...