All Comments on 'Crossing Rivers'

by ronde

Sort by:
  • 39 Comments
Boyd PercyBoyd Percy7 months ago

Excellent story! I really like your historical stories and your characters.

5

des911des9117 months ago

Another lovely story. Thank you.

JBOATJBOAT7 months ago

I enjoyed reading this story again, Ronde. It is well told. We live about 30 miles upstream from Sylamore in Baxter County. I always figured its name was just a corruption of "Sycamore." Thanks for all your wonderful writing.

Cracker270Cracker2707 months ago

You really are one hell of a good writer. I especially like your grasp of history. I had no idea parts of Tennessee and northern Alabama sided with the enemy. And as we have discussed I really appreciate your attention to detail regarding firearms.

Thank you for all your work on our behalf

OvercriticalOvercritical7 months ago

A terrific combination of history, romance, firearms detail, personal feelings and human ingenuity. A really good read. 5*

musicman1261musicman12617 months ago

Each of your stories are better than the last! Thanks for another great one!

tennesseeredtennesseered7 months ago

I like your use of (I assume) accurate historical details that add depth to the story. The Civil War was a horror show. The war injuries were an order of magnitude worse than anything ever seen. Anesthesia was primitive and generally unavailable. Strong work.

DINGDONG33DINGDONG337 months ago

Great story I can’t think of a better way to say it. Life had to be hard then but they both found love. Keep writing and thanks for telling a great story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

A masterpiece of romance and historical fiction. A "must read"!

The Hoary Cleric

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Great story. A little close to home as I am near Bentonville.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Nice story, well written. Historically correct, with nothing that I can say is wrong. War is not sentimentalized, the way most history books do (because the larger scale removes them from the individuality of human costs). Also war is done by human beings and no one is inherently the good guy - people 'fit in' and do what their comrades think of as normal or justified.

Racism was never a majority opinion in the South, but folks accepted that "that's just the way it is" because loud-mouthed bigots made it seem to be the social standard.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Very good understanding of the Civil War and immediate aftermath. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Nice story. Very well written with good characters. Thank you for sharing your creative work with us.

Vadar990155Vadar9901557 months ago

Hot dam! Another gift from a fine writer. I have often thought that must be a professional author and some where out there there is all stack of best sellers that I must read. Five well deserved stars.

muskyboymuskyboy7 months ago

Very well told, but a little too sad for me.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

The confederate army consisted of slavers, slave owners, slavery supporters, and traitors. Hard to see them as heroes, no matter how hard white supremacists work at it.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Another excellent story and one I will read again and again.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

That's written with love.

solfansolfan7 months ago

A great story, thanks. You now have me looking at google earth to try and find the gate! Well written.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I always look forward to your stories. I'm amazed at your breadth of knowledge and talent

linnearlinnear7 months ago

Wonderful story, you are a very talented storyteller.

lAnatomistelAnatomiste7 months ago

Excellent - well worth 5 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Great story

Swapping cylinders in Remington New Model Army revolves has questionable historical accuracy. Every firearm historian that I have read or listened to says it is practice first heard of in the movie Pale Rider. Dropping a precapped cylinder is a scary thought. The manufacturing consistency is also an issue. Changing cylinders between guns is problematic due to manufacturing tolerances. Fun guns to shoot. I like shooting my ASM New Model Navy better than the New Model Armies I have.

afosi2604afosi26047 months ago

A whole new perspective for the Civil War. Thanks...

Davester37Davester377 months ago

This year I’ve visited some of your common locations, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, and some of the surrounding countryside. I enjoyed the Chickamauga and Chattanooga battlefields, too. It adds to my enjoyment when I read your stories and your vivid descriptions of your settings.

Your Civil War research appears complete and accurate to me. I don’t have detailed information about the firearms of the day, but I suspect that your protagonist might not know all the technical aspects of his, as well. I’m glad that he didn’t need to use the pistols! Your story helps the reader to understand the terrible costs of war in general, and specifically the American Civil War.

As always, I appreciate your interesting, likable, well-described characters, and your sweet story. We knew how it would end, but we enjoyed the trip!

Thank you once again for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Another lovely story. 5* That quote at the end really got to me. My wife of 54 1/2 years is in hospice care now and we are unlikely to reach our 55th anniversary. Those words, though neither of us are religious, I find comforting. Thank you.

Ravey19Ravey197 months ago

What can I say? Another excellent story based on the Civil War. 5⛤

BlastusBlastus7 months ago

Bravo! Thanks for a moving tale.

ArkSoutherngentArkSoutherngent7 months ago

Wow, another fabulous story,!!!!!

I am always looking for your next story..

Crusader235Crusader2357 months ago

Wonderful well written story. Gave you another Five Stars, which really is not enough. Thank you for it.

not enough

jlg07jlg077 months ago

Another outstanding story

WilCox49WilCox497 months ago

Another really great story, full oof well-done background. Thank you!

.

Just a side note: I'd never heard of "leather breeches beans" before, so I looked them up. Seems like it's normally "leather britches beans". Not sure about in Arkansas in the middle nineteenth century. (And "britches" started off just as a colloquial pronunciation of "breeches", after all, and was probably the way it was actually said then and there, however they might have spelled it.)

RasmatRasmat7 months ago

I have really enjoyed and appreciated each story by this writer that I have read. Especially those with a historical base.

HansTrimbleHansTrimble4 months ago

This is the best of all the Civil War stories on this site, because it deals with the battles, the certainty of the outcome, and the difficult postwar period, plus the ability of families to get back together, and replace hate with love.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

All of your stories are very good. This one ranks as one of the best. 5 ⭐

PhredDaggPhredDagg3 months ago

GREAT story. Another 5🌟

Richard1940Richard19403 months ago

Another great story. Thank you. 5*

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userronde@ronde
Women tend to be the central characters in my stories, because I find their complex personalities to be fascinating. My stories come from my life experiences or the thoughts inspired by people I have met. I am an avid fan of history and especially the history of the America...

SIMILAR Stories

Outback 
4.87
825
371
The Unicorn 
4.84
1.9k
621
Hero's Reward 
4.85
3.6k
929
Full Count... 
4.91
678
194
Sales Team 
4.83
3.9k
863
More Stories