Cryin' in the Rain: Conclusion

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But things didn't go that way. In the first place, the detectives who interviewed me didn't like a lot of my answers. They brought out all of the domestic violence calls my neighbors had made and noticed that I had never pressed charges against him; even when I was hospitalized as a result of an attack.

The lawyer my parents got me, tried to convince them that my answers couldn't be considered valid since I was severely depressed.

But one of our neighbors had somehow recorded our screaming at each other and the recording made it seem as if I had goaded Jimmy into hitting me. The last and most damning thing was the number of times I had shot him.

The crime scene experts and the forensic scientists correctly figured out that my first two shots were to the center of his chest. Since he was moving towards me and was close enough to touch me. Either one of the shots would have killed him. Shooting him twice was over kill.

They claimed that Jimmy was already falling and had stopped moving towards me but I had shot him in the head twice once he was already down. Then I shot him in the chest once more. The recording, which was probably made with a cell phone, once amplified, was so clear that you could hear the sound of the gun clicking as I tried to continue shooting after the gun was empty.

The case was a lightning rod for a lot of different political groups. Battered women were on my side. Gun owners were on my side. Gun control people wanted to use me as an example. The DA wanted to charge me with murder. My lawyer was pressing for self defense or justifiable homicide.

Murder would have gotten me life in prison. Self defense would have let me walk. Justifiable homicide would have gotten me three years max with probation a possible alternative.

In the end we made a deal for three to five years in a medium security prison. I thought it was fair, especially since I no longer cared what happened to me.

I finally got my wish. Dylan came to see me and we had a long talk. We talked about everything from how sorry I was about everything, to how much I had suffered after he left. I told him about everything that had happened with Jimmy and why I'd put up with it for so long.

I told him how I'd been totally convinced that Pattigail was Jimmy's daughter. He told me about how well she had adjusted to being his spoiled little princess. He promised to bring her to visit me every month. I made him promise to never bring her. My daughter was barely over a year old. I wanted her to forget about me and have a wonderful normal life. Even if she did remember me; I didn't want her to remember me in prison.

Most kids don't remember very much of their lives before they're school age. I hoped that it would be the same for her. I made him promise to love her the way he once loved me and to put her first the way he had me. And then I kissed him really quickly, before he could object and I ran away. I ran out of the room before I started blubbering.

My three years passed quickly. Dylan came to see me regularly, but every time he did it was more awkward. He tried really hard to be nice to me and he was. The problem was that the love was simply gone. I was just another person to him. It nearly killed me.

On the other hand, Sarah and I became friends. She honored my requests and never brought Pattigail to see me. But she brought pictures, lots of them, and videos. Sarah also turned out to be a regular baby machine. Over the three years that I was inside, she gave Patti as they called her, both a sister and a brother.

The day that I was released from prison, she and Dylan, along with my sister and my parents were all there. I think they knew that I needed to find myself and start again.

My parents gave me a phone with all of their numbers already entered and a set of luggage. My sister gave me clothes and a book of photos of myself growing up and throughout my life. "You have to know where you've been to really appreciate where you're going," she told me.

Dylan and Sarah gave me a car and a credit card. The car was a new jeep Cherokee with all of the bells and whistles. It was big enough that I could sleep in the back if I couldn't find a motel.

I looked at them all and felt nothing but love coming from all of them.

"I... I don't know what to say," I told them all. "I wish I could stay, but..."

"We understand," said my dad. "You need to find yourself."

"And when you find yourself?... well if you don't find yourself out there... You can always come back," said Sarah. "You have friends and family and... a daughter... here!"

It was amazing. I wanted to find someone to take care of Pattigail and there was no way I could have found a better person than Sarah. She was as caring as Dylan was. I could see the tears in the corners of her eyes as she said it. The thought of losing Pattigail was killing her.

"Sarah she barely remembers me," I said. "My little girl is far happier than I could make her. She loves you. She doesn't need another mother." I hugged the woman who had taken the two most important people in my life away from me.

"But... she could use another... Aunt," she sobbed. I just nodded and took the keys from Dylan.

"You're going to have to come back," he said. "Your insurance is only paid up until about Christmas." I nodded again.

"If not before," I said. I knew that even if I didn't come home, Dylan would renew my insurance. And shit, he could afford it. I felt like I was being torn in two. On one hand I was excited about my future and finding my place in the world. On the other hand I loved every one of those sappy, sentimental suckers I was walking away from.

They would all be fine, whether I came back or not. Knowing that freed me and let my heart soar for the first time.

Just before I reached my new Jeep, it started to rain. That was good. The rain would help me to hide some of the things I was feeling.

"No one understands the heartache."

"No one understands the pain."

"No one ever sees the tears..."

"When you're Cryin' in the rain."

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
227 Comments
LegacybadLegacybad2 months ago

A very good story. People are complex and relationship are even more so. This has a very interesting approach that I haven't read before. I think the jail part was a bit unreal, but worse things have happened and I liked that we saw her get out and try a new start. Fro a sec there I thought she would kill herself, and I was glad she didnt. I would've liked if we had a bit more Dylan/Sarah in the Epilogue, he disdappeared from the story after she was hospitalized. Even so is one of the best imo. 5 stars thanks for sharing!

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

5 Stars on this one from GW .. My Sister got battered and my Dad and older brother met him outside a bar . The police i think all knew what happened to him but did not care one way or another . I think he was not happy as he died as a drunk and No I did Not go to the funeral

Psychman24Psychman242 months ago

The story was entertaining though farfetched and not believable in certain aspects. I agree that its highly unlikely that Gretchen would even be charged much less convicted given the abuse she endured and the obvious self defense. Most of the characters in the story are guilty of incredibly poor judgment and Dylan and Gretchen in particular. For some reason it takes Dylan his whole life to finally notice what a disgusting narcissistic asshole Jimmy is, and somehow Gretchen manages to throw away a man whom she has great sex with and adores her, and is also a huge success just to fuck a total loser who has the bad boy charisma. And nobody in the family has the guts to come out and talk about the important things that are happening because they are afraid of hurting someone's feelings.

skruff101skruff1013 months ago

Stang does write exceedingly delusional female characters.

bogie88bogie884 months ago

I would like to see a follow-up story on Gretchen.

TrainerOfBimbosTrainerOfBimbos4 months ago

What I don't understand is, if Dylan's mom and dad thought that Patti was Dylan's kid as soon as they saw her, WHY DIDN'T THE TELL DYLAN OR GET A DNA TEST?!??! Look, I know that the plot sort of demands this, but it was a massive hole big enough to drive a truck through.

FluidswallowerFluidswallower4 months ago

Thanks for another well-written, powerful tale!!!!

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Having been a domestic homicide investigator myself, the likelihood of Gretchen even being charged are slim. Convicted? Very unlikely given her previous injuries.

26thNC26thNC7 months ago

I wasn’t expecting that kind of ending. I thought Dylan would get back with Gretchen and definitely didn’t expect Sarah to reappear. I guess Dylan just had a thing for bad girls. Jimmy richly deserved killing and Gretchen was the one who got her Justice. Great, surprising, sad story.

KahunabobKahunabob7 months ago

Anonymous with the wall 'o' text below me (currently 26 days prior te me) sums up the issues I have with this conclusion too. BTB and Karma getting her pound of flesh is one thing, but mention of domestic abuse is just a little too far out of my comfort zone. Too many bad memories of my own childhood watching my parents going full out at each other. Gretchen/Greta was done too dirty in this conclusion. Jimmy got what he deserved, though I'd have preferred him getting it a lot earlier in the story.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Gretchen's patents and sister were not good people. They left Gretchen to suffer from a maniacal abuse who was NOT her husband. They lied by omission. Constantly. Jimmy's parents had no sense of accountability for their son who regularly abuses Gretchen. Dylan's parents tell him nothing about what is really going on. Jimmy is a psycho.

Glad Dylan got happiness with Sarah. That was lovely. But Gretchen lived in hell for 2+ years with no help.or support for.anyone for a one / two-time mistake (it was a mistake because of the screwed up throuple crap and Dylan's twisted friendship with Jimmy the psycho). Gretchen didn't love Dylan like he loved her, but that doesn't merit what happened to her. And the two mothers knew who the father was and made some vague comment while she had just given birth and never brought it up again, trapping hee in hell.

All those family members who adored Dylan and abandoned Gretchen are different degrees of wretched people or cowards who did nothing.

And yes her getting 5 years for extra bullets with all the abuse Jimmy perpetrated on her over the years (again with no help) is laughable. What justice system is the based on? Which country? Isn't the USA on our planet Earth. Gah!

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

This is a great story really well written but spoilt by the family. The mothers were sure the baby was Dylans and they left her in an abusive relationship? At risk from an asshole woman beater. No in fact Hell No! As for leaving Gretchen at risk again no no no. BardnotBard

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

Gretchen: [And I really blamed the mothers. They should have forced me to do something the day my daughter was born instead of dropping vague hints.]

====> I can't argue this. Yes Gretchen had a bad boy complex and low self esteem and she was quickly seduced by Jimmy for one 20 minute sexual interlude and then again when they were both drunk and Jimmy fed her bs about they had to be together to get Dylan back before the night of the confrontation.

And a divorce was inevitable the way the characters were written and their complex history. Dylan had a lot of emotions invested in Gretchen, and she did not love him the way did her. And Dylan also had a violent catharsis of pent up rage against Jimmy.

But regardless of Dylan's abandonment (call it what it is), and Gretchen's poor decision making and her misunderstanding of the complex, crazy relationship of Dylan and Jimmy, her family completely failed her, leaving her in hell. Her family was far more worried about Dylan in Florida.

Any angst over what she did and living with Jimmy (except no more sex, though the family members did not know it) and thinking Jimmy impregnated her, Gretchen did not deserve the perverse punishment train that came her way. That wasn't karma. That was ridiculous.

Gretchen made poor decisions, listening to Jimmy's gift of gab. She was not evil. Yes I get that SS06 always has another woman waiting for the aggrieved MC (in this case his old flame Sarah) and his reunion with Sarah was touching.

But Gretchen's family including her sister and her in laws really dropped the ball as human beings. Getting between a husband and wife involved in an abusive relationship is a bit tricky with the law, but nowadays if there is a domestic violence incident called n even by a neighbor, there are ramifications for the husband even if the wife presses no charges. But Jimmy was not her husband. Hee parents coukd have forced her to get a restraining order. Or put one against Jimmy on them and moved in with Gretchen for a while. Seriously. They didn't force anything. Bernie kept talking later about her going to the cops. Great job Bernie! A eeal.man of action. And after all of this mess (and knowing her daughter's biological father is Dylan), her mother wants her to go to counseling with Jimmy. Wtf? These are crappy parental units. With a bitchy, angst ridden, jealous sister on the side who takes some pleasure (at least at first) in watching Gretchen burn. And how about after the abuse became commonplace Abby? Still getting sick thrills? Parceling bits of information to Dyalna to protect Dylan. But not your sister. I mean she cheated, so she should be abused regularly by Jimmy, right? Yes I am bring sarcastic, but her family is that freaking inactive and unsupported for Gretchen.

Indeed her family keeping key information from Dylan about the pregnancy, the abuse and the birth is balderdash. Leaving him thinking she and Jimmy were happy is retarded. He has plenty of emotional support, and for a year probably worried about a warrant, but he can get over it. What is a fragile to the point of breaking? Oh but he was hurt so bad. Yeah well while Gretchen is being beaten even while pregnant with is kid (yes I know they only learned about it after birth), maybe she needs some support?

Look she was seduced by Jimmy. She didn't murder someone close to Dylan. She got conned onto this weird throuple idea of Jimmy and Dylan without Dylan's consent or kniwledge. And then Dylan after unloading on Jimmy was gone like a ghost. Jimmy was evil or twisted or crazy, take your pick. Fine their marriage is dead and Dylan flees, not wven bothering to file papers and have her served. Whatever. The pain is too great. Poor Dylan. Meanwhile she is in a hospital like ince every 2-3 months for like almost 1.5 years. Hood job family and in-laws. You did a good job doing literally nothing.

It is simple moral decency. Her family not getting Gretchen out of there is just plain hideous of them. What they have no cousins or other relatives or friends to toss Jimmy around and run him out of town? Wtf? After rhe abuse became obvious any decent parents would seek help anywhere they could. Maybe they would fear that Dylan would act with wrath and go to jail. I get that Dylan wanted nothing to do with Gretchen, because it was really that he could not trust himself around Jimmy.

Yes, Dylan had been her white knight and she betrayed him. Understood. Personally he came off to me as a coward never talking to Gretchen once for nearly two years and assuming the worst (that Gretchen and Jimmy are in love and happy together /rofl). All the while she was actually in hell with no family support and little information bleeding to him about her hellish existence.

And the mothers who knew who the father of Pattigail really was only making a one time hint, is ridiculous. They would tell Dylan right away and he would order a DNA test. Yes Gretchen was stupid regarding Jimmy. And her relationship with Dylan is nit nearly what he is with Sarah. Great. But the three sets of parents are just terrible to her. Especially her own parents who have a responsibility to NOT see her being abused and also.their granddaughter being in danger. Their support of Dylan at first seemed genuine and great, but then their total lack of support for Gretchen makes their being protective of Dylan come off as creepy and weird.

Be honest if your daughter cheated on her husband, yes you would be upset, but woukd you idly sit by as her boyfriend beat her, especially while pregnant and in the same house as your granddaughter? Wtf? Of course not. You fight tooth and nail to get her out of that hellish sitaution. Harder if she remarried and years later but this is soon after and she is not married to Jimmy. What Jimmy's parents don't care their son is beating a woman? Her parents just whine and fidget with their hands? Abby wants to bang Dylan and get back at Gretchen but won't push her parents to help? Ok Dylan's parents won't get involved but wouldn't they be upset that their friends are doing squat?

Lastly, how the heck does she do five years. The one bullet statement by the detective is a joke, yes? Long history of violence. She is clearly been hit again. And Jimmy weighs 250 lbs and used to play football. Don't even think a DA would press charges, let alone a jury convict. Ok the two in the head and back at the end are a problem. But a good lawyer would exploit battered woman syndrome. Heck in Southern states would be a stand your ground scenario because she is (again) not married to Jimmy and he terrified her. The DA would see the hospital admissions, talk to investigators who interviewed all the parents and family. She would not do five years. Her sentence would at worst be commuted for time served and put on probation. Think the author tossed this in as a way to force the idea that she would leave her daughter behind and take off to find herself.

I enjoyed the story, especially the four main characters (though Jimmy was evil) but the behavior of the secondary characters while all hell.was breaking loose and then the icing on top that she goes to jail, is really nonsensical or just plain wrong. First time I read this 5 stars, but on second reading and seeing all the balderdash with her family and the inept justice system, 4 stars.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Shooting Jimmy was more like pest control, some people just need to be dead!

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

Of the wall kind of story, I do indeed feel sorry for Gretchen (I've always had a thing for the name "Gretchen") her "bad boy" thing seriously screwed her life up.

Show More
Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
Requital He caught her cheating; she thinks he's overreacting.in Loving Wives
Irish Eyes His love was betrayed, what next.in Romance
Aiding and Abetting The good guys don't always finish last.in Romance
In Her Eyes A husband doesn't like what he sees.in Loving Wives
More Stories