All Comments on 'Culture Clash'

by qhml1

Sort by:
  • 148 Comments
steeltiger01steeltiger01over 4 years ago

That was a fantastic piece of historical fiction. It reminded me of my love for early settler history, and I think I'll be visiting my local library for a few books. Thanks for reminding me!

jwbailey00jwbailey00over 4 years ago
Good but...

Needs some more editing, Jacob's name changed a couple of times. I saw it spelled Jacon and Jason. Other than that it was a very entertaining and enjoyable read.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
My 2 cents

What an interesting story. I enjoyed the characters and the way you fleshed them out. I won't go into the minor grammar mistakes as I read to enjoy the story. I will be reading more of your work. Thanks for your time and imagination.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Outstand

Great story Q.

I really enjoyed the back drop of early America.

Freddog6601Freddog6601over 4 years ago
Well done

A fairly accurate account of the Puritanical times.

Unfortunately, throughout history, tremendous inhumane acts have been committed in the name of religion.

Thank you for such an enjoyable read.

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 4 years ago
I guess I'm dense

I was enjoying the story so much I didn't notice any name changes. At least none that slowed me down or made me wonder.

This is a fine addition to the library of your works. I could picture the characters and the land as if I was watching a movie.

Excellent work my friend. Thank you for posting.

Woodmanone

Tootight1Tootight1over 4 years ago
Totally Loved it.

I don't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. After a few pages I could almost see the writing on the wall. Those that forget history are destined to relive it. There is so much truth in this story, I could recommend this to my daughter, and son. Unfortunately, the reality is that many lives, families, historical facts have been lost. The good guys didn't always win, as in this case.

Thanks for the story. I would like to recommend a movie I once saw, called "The Last Mohicans" . Somewhat similar to the story, a good movie.

qwertyuser9999qwertyuser9999over 4 years ago
You Rock

As always, magnificent

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Really good!!

I truly enjoy your stories and am especially pleased that you are going to finish Rocky Raccoon. Can't wait.

BruceWoBruceWoover 4 years ago
Thank you

I always look forward to your wonderful stories

Horseman68Horseman68over 4 years ago
Great Historical Story.

A very enjoyable and absorbing story to read. Most are unaware of what the Cherokee nation actually was in our history. Bravos and thank you. Please ignore the grammar nitpickers, as they can’t enjoy anything that they can’t someway criticize.

Robyn1859Robyn1859over 4 years ago
Shades of Lamour

I have read most of Louis Lamoir stories over the Yeats and this can stand with any of them

xtchrxtchrover 4 years ago
Just A Fantastic Story!

I totally agree with Robyn, This story stands right along with Lamour.

The only problem with this story is that it was to short. I was sad that it ended.

Thank you for another great story.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionover 4 years ago
Excellent frontier story

JFC would be proud of this. Great stuff.

peter944peter944over 4 years ago
Awesome job

Entertaining and interesting. Good choice for your outstanding skills. Thank you for writing!

SleeperyJimSleeperyJimover 4 years ago
Great

This is the perfect milieu for your terse, choppy style of writing. The atmosphere you created was almost visible in every line, and the emotional build up was perfectly paced.

Well done, sir!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Reads like a classic western

This is good enough to be right up there with Louis Lamour

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Very Enjoyable Read

Great story that was well told and kept me thoroghly entertained. Thank you.

BuzzCzarBuzzCzarover 4 years ago
Excellent

Great historical story. I enjoyed it immensely. Thank you.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Excellent!

I did notice some of the glitches others mentioned, but they were little more than speed bumps to the flow of the story.

One of the easiest 7-page reads I've done in a long time.

sbrooks103xsbrooks103xover 4 years ago
Thoughts

"If one brave should kill a deer, he shares the meat with the village. If another is a better fisherman, he shares the catch. If one woman is a better farmer than another, she shares." - Socialism!

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great story.

Great story you are one of my favorite authors on this site.

Mr Sbrooks. You are confusing generosity & altruism with socialism. One is done of their own free will for the betterment of their society... one is done at the barrel of s gun.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thanks again

Just great!

calgarycamperscalgarycampersover 4 years ago
Very good!

Thanks for sharing.

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 4 years ago
Absolutely superb!

What a great story!

Thank you for writing this and sharing. Completely unexpected.

DFWBeastDFWBeastover 4 years ago
Thank you!

Outstanding Q!

Was concerned for a moment that we were going to see a Last of the Mohicans mash up with The First Thanksgiving but thoroughly enjoyed this one! Excellent as always!

Killian

SithLord6969SithLord6969over 4 years ago
Wonderful !

Dude, this maybe your best story yet! The witty dialog had me laughing throughout.

Crusader235Crusader235over 4 years ago
Another

Another great story by this wonderful author. It's a shame he cannot find the time to finish his Rocky Raccoon saga.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great Story

Bundling is still practiced among the Amish.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 4 years ago
Reading this story as well as all of your postings always gives me pleasure.

Loved the theme, the story, and the subject....Thanks.

The_Artfull_CodgerThe_Artfull_Codgerover 4 years ago
4 generations later

a man out of step with those around him, still on the land and honoring the traditions handed down to him, just saying....

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Damned good

Excellent tale, well-told.

And very educational, I suspect..

Thank You

HP

sdc97230sdc97230over 4 years ago
De-evolution of the Pilgrims?

The Pilgrims were never some great, noble people They were a bunch of extremists who were rejected by all the other Protestant sects and were ultimately driven out of England because they threw their lot in with the losing side in the English Civil Wars.

The "religious freedom" they came to the New World in search of was the freedom to tell everyone else what to do.

DoctimeDoctimeover 4 years ago

Somehow the “Rev” sort of reminds me of our president (lower case intended).

Txdude1836Txdude1836over 4 years ago
Outstanding Yarn !

Thank you for this story ! More please !

BarryJames1952BarryJames1952over 4 years ago

Once started, I couldn't stop!

Very well done. I normally wouldn't go for a story of the era or subject, but you had me quickly hooked and didn't disappoint. Thank you so much for posting this wonderful tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Yes, a great one

Your story is well told and appears as accurate as any written by western writers. I have read some of the history of the Mohawk tribes, and the story appears to be in line with that record. Good job on your research.

Hey, Doctime, which president do you consider was any less guile than our current. In my humble opinion, we have NEVER had a guileless president.

Great job qhml1!

detroitdave

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Kinda like the Last of the Mohicans

Another well written story. Thanks for the ongoing efforts to entertain us.

5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Thank you again

This is one of your best, and that is already as high a praise as I can give. I appreciate the amount of research that has gone into this story. And I applaud the case you make for tolerance religious and otherwise.

Please keep writing on this site, I can't wait for your next.

C.N.

patilliepatillieover 4 years ago
Very well done Q!

Not on the level of 500 Annies, S7 series or Rocky Raccoon, but I cant hold that against you, that is a 5 * all the same. Thx for your efforts and sharing your gift.

ribnitinribnitinover 4 years ago
Well researched, well written

This was a great story. My only issue is that there was more than a touch of the "noble savage" depiction of Indians.

justbobkcjustbobkcover 4 years ago
Good story

BTW - I was raised in the modern Puritan church, now known as the Church of Christ - direct descendants of the Congregationalists who descended from "Puritans".

They aren't totalitarians as far as a community in general. They just don't believe in drinking, dancing, musical instruments in church. I stopped going to that church when I was 14 and my Mom accepted that decision without rancor. She kept going her whole life.

Mostly Puritans have gotten a real bad reputation, undeserved. But then, so have most Catholics in general from centuries of Protestant propaganda against Catholics and Catholicism.

Yale, Dartmouth, and Harvard were all founded by Puritans. And many Puritans fought well in our Revolution, of course. The actual attempted "theocracy" period of colonial Puritanism only lasted about 20 years. THAT idea just didn't work.

JbRobertssonJbRobertssonover 4 years ago
Excellent story...

Another excellent tale from Q. Thanks for posting. 5 stars, of course.

DogFuzzDogFuzzover 4 years ago
Wow!

What an exciting well written story from our frontier times. Dinner was late to be eaten. Who can stop when a story is hot? Thanks for sharing. Top marks.

jtwheelsjtwheelsover 4 years ago
Good story enjoyed

Mohawk very alpha from what I read

Story covered most Indians very well

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Doing the right thing

I find the idea of the women being pregnant before marriage funny. When my oldest daughter became pregnant at 17, I dreaded telling my grandmother of 91 years... her reply was something I never expected... she grew up on the eastern plains of Montana... in her day almost every girl was pregnant before marriage!

Boy was I shocked!

It was to make sure there would be enough people to work the farms...!

A good story

arrowglassarrowglassover 4 years ago
Good entertaining read!

Thank you!

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15about 4 years ago
Excellent!

The pregnancy before marriage was often simply because a preacher wasn't available often.

Superb story! Well written! Very accurate.

monster99monster99about 4 years ago
Well Done

Unwed pregnancies were not just a function of the wilderness; even in the relatively well-settled areas of New England, unwed pregnancies were still dramatically higher than today. Perhaps the lack of other entertainments on those long winter nights had something to contribute to this statistic.

Love the writing style. As the husband of a Native American, I have come to appreciate the highly evolved skills and culture of the American Indians...we have treated them so poorly. Genocide on a grand scale.

LwcbyLwcbyabout 4 years ago
Wish it had been longer.

I really enjoyed it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
OH WOW!!!!!!

THIS was one of the best stories I've ever read on literotica. Thank you so much for your time and effort. I know I will come back to this one in the future.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Great story

There is a huge gap between faith and blind belief. 999% of blind belief is based on one charismatic, strong personality. They brain wash their sheep for their own gains using portions of the Bible to further their evil intentions. That is why when they fail the asshole tries to take his followers with him in death or instead of him in death.so he can start over somewhere else. I appreciate your thoughts at the end about the violence of the times. But, if he had killed the self serving bastard when he had him. All of those other people and homes would not have paid the price. Don’t leave the proper justice to others hoping it is handled. You will pay a price when it revisits you.

People like the preacher need to be dealt with as they are found. No compassion, no

Sympathy, no remorse and especially no reget. They wouldn’t have any for someone else so there is no need to have any for them. People who base their dealings with others of different cultures on their own do so at their own peril. Know the culture of the person you are dealing with and act accordingly. Sometimes it is best to offer your hand in friendship while showing a club in the other hand to ensure that they understand the repercussions of dealing in bad faith.

WhoGivesAShitWhoGivesAShitalmost 4 years ago

The really sad fact, is that Puritanical intolerance and hatred are still regularly practiced, and encouraged by clergy who strongly resemble crooked politicians. Oh yeah, also encouraged by the idiot at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

BbiguyBbiguyalmost 4 years ago
Another great period story

Clicked onto this out of curiosity and was quite enthralled by it, didn't want to stop reading. Another 5*+

johsunjohsunalmost 4 years ago

Good rousing story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
GREAT READ

EXCELLENT CHRONICLE OF INDIAN LORE AND SOME EARLY AMERICAN

HISTORY. THE BOTANICAL SURVIVAL INFORMATION WAS INTERESTING AND

SHOULD BE INCORPORATED INTO SURVIVAL AND CAMPING GUIDES.

NICE CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND PLOT COHESION. I HOPE AUTHOR WILL CONTINUE WRITING.

—anonomous1972

Bo47Bo47almost 4 years ago
The diversity of story lines is amazing!

Culture Clash is a first rate story about life on the colonial frontier. Plot, characters, details of the times, in fact every aspect of this story is superb. What is most amazing is the wide range of the author's other stories. Which are also super. You can't go wrong with one by this author. Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Can I rest my feet now?

This is an extremely bad story for us confirmed couch potatoes.

It might be interesting, historically accurate, have a good story line, mature but after finishing it, I'm bloody knackered!! After wandering all over half the US my toenails ache!

I'm going to find a dark room and damp towel after voting 5 Pointy things for this exhaustingly good 'un.

MarkT63MarkT63almost 4 years ago
Great again.

I'm not usually a historical drama reader, but you did really well!!!! Thank you sir!!!

jimmac44jimmac44over 3 years ago
WELL DONE!

I really enjoyed this story!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Awesome Read Indeed

You write as if you were retelling a life story of sort. Thank you for sharing your gift of masterful story-telling...

gfrhgfrhover 3 years ago
Thank you

I enjoyed this story very much.

LovesNipplesLovesNipplesover 3 years ago
Absolutely Wonderful

I was sad to see this story end. You NAILED the time period, weaponry, clothing, and beliefs of the frontier settlers and the Native Peoples who lived here when Europeans arrived. I've been told that my ancestors came over on the Mayflower, and there were some who were not Puritan/Separatists, and that would HAVE to have been where my family came from. Most people do not realize that the frontier was the great equalizer between men and women, because if they did not work together, they did not survive. Henry's description of life in a Cherokee village was wonderful, as was the description of the towns with their filth and waste. I so wish I could write something like this.

THANK YOU!!!

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago

Did a report on the Puritans in history class about their contribution to our society. While their puritanical views were a bit stifling to the people. Their fear of the devil getting into the minds of ignorant actual led to our public schools being formed. They felt the better people were educated and could read the bible the devil couldn't control them. Great story and good writing

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Reads like a Louie Lamore western. Liked it alot.

peterrude69peterrude69over 3 years ago
A good read.

Thank You it is a very good read. 5/5

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
loved it...

didn´t even notice typos or bad grammar...maybe there wasn´t any this time ?

five this time. thanks

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyabout 3 years ago

Another great story! Such a thoroughly enjoyable read! Thank-you

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

good story...

alexetlaurealexetlaureabout 3 years ago

We loved it ...5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

Excellent read, and like other commenters, I can understand the references to Louis Lamour. Very similar to the opening of The Warriors Path, but fleshed out in a way that Louis himself would have enjoyed.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Very entertaining, very touching, & true to life of the time. Great read !!!

NitpicNitpicalmost 3 years ago
Another

Another very good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

One of my favorite types of stories that I did know I liked until I found your works. Makes me want to re-read Bloodcost, (For the uninitiated, look it up in Amazon kindle).

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Very well done! Storyline was reminiscent of “the Warriors’ Path” by Louis Lamour. Henry would fit right in with the Sackett boys. I won’t go into the similarities, but the story was very good. Henry Morgan namesake would have been proud.

I’ve been reading your work here and on stoiesonline, and I am very impressed. Glad you’re writing novels now. Zeke & Brad are two of my favs, and now I can add Henry to the list. Keep up the good work and look forward to seeing more

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great!!!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 3 years ago

Great story beautifully told, bravo...!

ZoomdoggieZoomdoggiealmost 3 years ago

Good period piece. Well written. Wish there were more.

AnAncientAnAncientalmost 3 years ago

I recall reading that a courting couple sitting on a the sofa together was considered sinful, they were told to "Go to Bed!"

campomancampomanalmost 3 years ago

Good story, Q. Mucho research, for sure.

justbobkcjustbobkcover 2 years ago

5 stars from me, of course.

BTW - "Puritans" are definitely still around. I was raised in the Church of Christ, which is the direct follow on: "Puritans" to "Congregationalists" to "Church of Christ."

No drinking alcohol, ever. (Grape juice served in communion.) No dancing ever. No musical instruments in Church, just singing. No sex before marriage, of course. My own Congregation growing up was a small church in a small town suburb of St. Louis, IL side.

The folks in the Church were all pretty nice and normal. Not even much Hellfire and Brimstone preaching. And even my own Mom understood when I just stopped attending at 14 years of age. I liked dancing already WAY too much, and just girls in general. Including sex with them soon enough. :-)

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago
Great Story but.....

NEVER leave an ass-wipe like "the reverend" live, as it proves over and over (not just in this story) but in other true stories I have read. They WILL come back to cause you pain!

Cal59Cal59over 2 years ago

5 stars, thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Your character development was superb. Story line excellent. Historical references made the story more plausible. I'm ready for chapter 2....... Charity's generation!

UnclenoodleUnclenoodleover 2 years ago

Liked it very much. Very well written

FreakpowerFreakpowerover 2 years ago

I had to Google translate a lot of words but finally I loved the Story.

AlberothAlberothover 2 years ago

Great story. This is the second time I’ve read it… it’s still just as good.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Absolutely brilliant. Well researched and true to the times. A masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Thanks for something that made reading it three times in succession worth every second

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesover 2 years ago

Great story. Told of life 200 years ago. Sounds about right. You did a good job. Thank you!

MainboyMainboyover 2 years ago

Literotica is a fun place to be. Pick a story and you may be subjected to absolute drivel and the next is something like this.

Damn! I wish I can write a story like this. I have read it so many times I can almost do a narrative of it.

I am not a fan of historic novels but this one grabbed my full attention and had SWAMBO quite peeved. I read while she wanted things done.

Congrats Q. A story you may expand on and turn it into a masterpiece.

Thanks for the effort you put into this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A long time L.Lamour fan, this story was a treat! This was my second trip through, a very good read. Similar to the Warriors Path. Thank you Q, 5 stars of course.

somewhere east of Omaha

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

"It has been estimated that 30 to 40% of all women at the time were pregnant when they married."

Not just "at the time". The webmaster of one of the blogs I follow is a former military chaplain and retired Catholic priest. He indicates that looking back over all the marriages he's performed over the years at least 20% of the brides were already pregnant. He also commented that at least 90% of the couples were already doing the deed and about half of them were already living together.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69over 2 years ago

Good as a john wayne movie.

Smiffy69Smiffy69over 2 years ago

It annoys me sometimes that people, particularly Americans, think that the puritans were hounded out of England because of religious intolerance. This was not the case. They chose to leave England because the English were not as intolerant and ‘puritan’ as they, who were the intolerant ones. The English were far more liberal at the time.

Good story.

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 2 years ago

Excellent tale, I really felt I was in the woods with them. 5* without doubt

Omart57Omart57over 2 years ago

First time with this one, Q! it will not be the last! I absolutely loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

5* squared! You do tell an excellent tale.

Just_John1Just_John1about 2 years ago

A great yarn, love the characters. Your writing style is awesome and is something I envy. Love your work, reading through your repertoire again. Thank you so much for sharing your work.

Jj1

UncertainTUncertainTabout 2 years ago

Really great story telling. I could see it all.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userqhml1@qhml1
Can you believe that soon I will have been writing here for ten years? I never imagined I'd last that long. I figured I would run out of story ideas long before now. Instead I've filed over a hundred story ideas yet to be written. I'm retiring in a few weeks. I'm going to us...

SIMILAR Stories