Custer's Last Stand

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Boston was certain that GA was hoping for more of a reaction to his mass mailing exposing what was going on, and why he did what he did. Of course their family and friends were horrified, but there was barely a mention of it in the press. He guessed that these things happened so often nowadays, people were inured to them. If it didn't sell beer or feminine hygiene products it didn't get on the air.

One of the local TV stations did do a follow-up but simply said the tragedy was caused by an on-going family argument. That was it.

Whatever GA was, he was still his brother, so he carried out the directions GA gave him in his final letter. Boston and his wife were already actively engaged in getting legal custody of GA's four children. He was pretty sure that they didn't know the truth of what happened to their parents, but that reckoning was surely coming. Lizzie was an only child, and even her parents agreed with Boston that GA and Lizzie's children's best chance at a normal life was with his family. It would still take time to complete the process because there wasn't a formal will or trust in place directing custody.

GA had instructed Boston to scatter most of his ashes around Last Stand Hill. Then spread the remainder at the foot of Marcus Reno's headstone in the national cemetery. He did just as GA wanted. It struck Boston at that point that GA's legacy wouldn't be unlike Major Reno's.

To some, GA would be an evil incompetent lunatic responsible for many deaths. Or maybe he would simply be known as a failed husband and father who couldn't protect his family. And to others, perhaps he'd be a hero? When he finished he walked sadly back to his car. He never visited the monument again.

A couple of years later a new park ranger, was walking the grounds early one morning and saw a figure shrouded in the mist that frequently enveloped the grounds of the national cemetery. The figure was sitting quietly, leaning up against Marcus Reno's headstone. "How did that idiot get in here?" He immediately strode purposefully towards the figure, fully intending to remove him by force if necessary.

He pulled his radio from his belt and just as he began to speak the figure seemed to evaporate into the mist. He had been told the many ghost stories that inhabited this place, but there was something different about this one. The apparition was in neither a 19th century cavalry uniform, nor the dress of a Native American warrior, as was usually reported. This apparition was clearly wearing 21st century attire.

He thought he'd seen the ghost place something on Reno's headstone. The ranger approached and picked it up. It was an old key. He placed it back on the headstone. He, like all rangers, had been instructed that in no uncertain terms were they to remove anything that wasn't dangerous or offensive placed at the gravesites. It was hallowed ground. He shook his head and vowed not to tell a soul what he'd seen. He put his radio back on his belt, and continued on about his business.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

I'm a Bastard Wife cheats, he leaves, kids blame him for family breakup.in Loving Wives
Abandoned Rage Abandoned and humiliated in the worst way.in Loving Wives
Something Fishy — Shock and Awe Some men do not take ultimatums very well.in Loving Wives
Rebirth Her betrayal destroyed him, but she kept one last secret.in Loving Wives
A Promise Made, A Vow Broken No such thing as a hall pass when it comes to wedding vows.in Loving Wives
More Stories