All Comments on 'Cyrano de BOTgerac'

by UpperNorthLeft

Sort by:
  • 16 Comments
HighpikeHighpike3 months ago

Beautifully crafted and very well written. It had me gripped from the start. Thank you very much.

DrtywrdsmithDrtywrdsmith3 months ago

Nice romance, well written and intriguing story.

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

A top read. Very good.

SlithyToveSlithyTove3 months ago

Charming and well-written. Thanks!

Davester37Davester373 months ago

I almost passed on this one based on the title, fearing it would be sci-fi based. Fortunately I looked up the reference. I’m so glad I read it!

You’ve created interesting, likable characters, led them on fascinating adventures in detailed, vivid, well-described, actual settings, and brought them to a sweet, happy ending. Your near-flawless writing and editing shows your respect for the craft and the reader. What more could the reader ask for?

Thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your work.

ArdieffArdieff3 months ago

Sweey story, engaging characters. Enjoyed it ;-)

KRD19254KRD192543 months ago

Not very well stated within the story but Chris, Roxy, and Ally are all MD, Doctors? Ally is a practicing medical Doctor and Chris & Roxy are research Doctors. With TL having multiple-degrees and a Masters in Engineering.

\

I can tell you in rural Iowa being Doc's is a big thing and their earned titles would be used and respected.

\

Fun story.... Hope CART is next....

\

4.9***** Hooyah, Salutes...

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft3 months agoAuthor

@ KRD19254 — Glad you enjoyed the story, and I appreciate the feedback. I am indeed mulling over some possible adventures for the CART cartel (thanks for asking).

\

You said, “Not very well stated within the story but Chris, Roxy, and Ally are all MD, Doctors? Ally is a practicing medical Doctor and Chris & Roxy are research Doctors. With TL having multiple-degrees and a Masters in Engineering.”

\

Although I did not explicitly say so, Roxanne, Chris and Allison are all physicians (aka ‘medical doctors’), and have MD degrees.

\

I probably should have included their degrees — it would have been easy for me to do so, and less confusing to readers.

\

On the other hand, I didn’t want the story to get too bogged down in the minutia of medical training, so I left a lot of that stuff out. However, since you asked so nicely, I’ve included some of those details below.

\

Physicians practicing in the US have a confusing variety of degrees, depending upon where in the world they went to medical school. US and Canadian-trained physicians virtually all have MD or DO degrees. Folks trained in the UK have a variety of US-MD-equivalent degrees after their names, such as MBBS, MBChB, BMBS and others. For a long list of equivalent degrees from around the world, check out the Wikipedia page for ‘Doctor of Medicine’.

\

'Research doctor’ is a slippery term. In the US, a PhD can do research, but cannot practice clinical medicine. However, a PhD is not required to do research. Many MDs do research as well as clinical medicine — it’s a matter of personal inclination. Quite a few folks have both MD and PhD degrees. Many physicians also have a variety of other degrees, such as DSc, MBA, MS, JD, etc.

\

For what it’s worth, Roxanne, Chris and Allison all did a year of internship after medical school, followed by several years of specialty training. Allison did a 3 year emergency medicine residency followed by a 1 year fellowship in Rural Health. Roxanne and Chris are both radiologists, which required a 4 year radiology residency. Both R and C also did fellowships in AI research following their radiology training.

\

As you point out above, TL has BS and MS degrees in mechanical engineering.

AardieAardie3 months ago

I expected more use of the martial arts before the end with the push for the brown belt.

A_BierceA_Bierce3 months ago

Here's what ChatGPT-4 thought about it:

  

There once was a poet named Chris,

Whose tale about Roxanne brought bliss,

From Boston she hailed,

His words never failed,

Though Seattle's approval was amiss. 

A_BierceA_Bierce3 months ago

Actually, that was ChatGPT-3.5 (oops). Here's what ChatGPT-4 thought:

   

Upon this verse I lay my gaze, a tale

Of Roxanne's life, in Boston's bounds she dwells,

Penned by the hand of Chris, from where rains veil

Seattle's face; his craft in words excels.

   

Though loath am I to praise, for envy's bite

Does gnaw at me, yet truth must be confessed:

His quill has captured Roxanne's plight and light

With such finesse, my spirit is impressed.

   

Her trials and her triumphs, woven fine,

Within the fabric of each line doth lie.

Through Chris's verse, her essence doth entwine

With reader's soul, 'neath the vast, open sky.

   

So, here I stand, my pride aside I cast,

To laud his work, for it shall surely last.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft3 months agoAuthor

@ A_Bierce: Hilarious! One doesn’t see that many Lit comments in the form of a limerick or a Shakespearean sonnet. Thanks for going the extra miles!

\

Modesty forbids one from asking what your original prompt phrase was for ChatGPT-4, but it must have been a doozy. :)

A_BierceA_Bierce3 months ago

In days of yore, where shadows softly dance,

A tale unfolds of Chris from Seattle fair,

Whose verses sung, did all the land ensnare,

With words that cast a spell, a mystic trance.

Yet intertwined within this poet's glance,

Lies Roxanne, from the eastern coast's own lair,

A maiden wise, with beauty rich and rare,

Whose grace did Chris's heart most keenly lance.

Though loath am I to laud this distant lore,

For what is love but folly, fraught with pain?

Yet in their tale, a truth does softly soar,

That love may bloom where souls dare to remain.

So let it be, this verse of theirs, to pour,

In honor sung, though my heart doth refrain.

UpperNorthLeftUpperNorthLeft3 months agoAuthor

A_Bierce found a friend in AI,

Together, their wit soared so high.

In a world made of text,

Who could say what came next,

The fun made it all worth the try..

Jalibar62Jalibar623 months ago

Smooth, enjoyable, and satisfying. Thanks :)

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userUpperNorthLeft@UpperNorthLeft
4/24/24: It has been a hoot collaborating with Jalibar62 on a joint story during the past few weeks under the username: Bay2Sound. Under that username we weave words crafted on the shores of our favorite bodies of water: Chesapeake Bay and the Salish Sea (aka Puget Sound). ...