All Comments on 'Dance in the Rain'

by JuanaSalsa

Sort by:
  • 29 Comments
HecatesChildHecatesChildover 2 years ago

I'm not crying! You're crying!

I can totally identify with being such a people pleaser and how it feels when someone wants you to be your authentic self. Thank you.

Also, the scene at the lake in the storm was kinda beautiful

PurplefizzPurplefizzover 2 years ago

This is a lovely story, illustrating how vile, abusive men (I’m male btw) can affect women, but with love, care, time and sensitivity they can be healed again. I’d love for a follow up, to complete the story arc. Thanks for writing btw.

blackdragon54blackdragon54over 2 years ago
Def a sequel

Great story. If nothing else to show her recovery from the trauma

hornier_bastardhornier_bastardover 2 years ago

I'm with Purplefizz... loved the story, agree about vile men!!!! (and I'm also male).

I think there's room for a followup if you would like. I'd love to hear about her art, her new job, them growing together as a couple, his career, and all the pros and cons that go with that.

However, I also think this story stands well on its own.

James_DuncanJames_Duncanover 2 years ago

Good stuff, men that beat women are the scum of the universe and deserve to be treated as such. Not sure how I would handle being around such a person, I suspect the urge to beat the living crap out of them would be strong :(

TonyspencerTonyspencerover 2 years ago

Lovely story, great characters.

51Woodie51Woodieover 2 years ago

Five stars!! What a great story!!! Wonderful characters, good build up.... would love another chapter.

Bebop3Bebop3over 2 years ago

I was waiting for Scott Coker to show up. Fun, unusual story. Well done.

Adam RightmannAdam Rightmannover 2 years ago

Five stars, such a unique story with MMA and art.

SouthernCrossfireSouthernCrossfireover 2 years ago

Hi, here from the Summer Lovin’ event. Well done! You created a couple of well developed characters and a very good story line. I was a bit worried that Irena was overdoing it and Bobby was going to be tired for the big event, but all’s well and the miserable ex...well, he’ll be more miserable now! Great job, 5*.

DubinskyDubinskyover 2 years ago

So good.

I enjoy juxtaposition, and you do it well. Very enjoyable read!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

A very well written story with well developed characters throughout. I’m going to have to find more stories by this author. I did think the ending was a bit rushed and I couldn’t figure out how Irena’s ex knew how to find her at the fight venue. Minor issues though, really, it’s still a great story. 5⭐️s.

NewOldGuy77NewOldGuy77about 2 years ago

Enjoyed the emotional depth of Irena. Wondering where Bobby learned to be such a sweetheart. Sequel time! =]

tms2009tms2009about 2 years ago

Hot damn this story is awesome. So well written and developed. I loved it. Would love to read a sequel to this story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

True Romance

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

Good story but it has, I believe, one major flaw.

This girl has been brutally traumatized both physically and mentally. It is totally within reason she is suffering from PTSD. Given that it it patently absurd for her completely abandon all caution a sleep with guy on the same day they meet! Also, she shacks up with him and doesn't call her parents to say where she is? These are two issues so huge I'm surprised you missed them.

I gave you a 5 but it should ne 4.5. I gave lots of makeup points because it such a good story.

JuanaSalsaJuanaSalsaover 1 year agoAuthor

Hi everyone! I don’t normally comment on my own stories, lol, but this is my absolute favorite story I’ve ever posted on Lit and it centers on a very important topic to me. I want to take this moment to say a bit more about it, especially as a small sequel will be coming out next month for the Letters of Love event.

To give some background for this story, Irena is based on me (ha, as many of my characters are in some way) and her ex’s behavior is based on my very first real adult boyfriend I had when I was 18. This story, for me, was very cathartic and healing to write, and I hope that any readers who may have been in the same place found it to be so as well. You deserve to be valued and respected, not for your appearance or services provided, but for who you are, as a human being. We all do.

This story is about how Irena chose to be open to new joy, even as she is struggling to deal with the trauma of her past. There is no wrong time to be open to new joy, there is no wrong time to take pleasure in finding connection with other people. If you have been holding back from the world, out of fear or guilt, this story is for you. Come into the light and allow yourself the chance to be loved.

It's hard, so very hard. I am struggling with this today, again, lol. But I am opening myself to the possibilities, again. Irena reminds me that I owe it to myself to be open. Bobby reminds me what respect looks like. I take these lessons into my heart and chose to Dance in the Rain.

Below, I’d like to address some specific comments, in order from first to last.

To HecatesChild: I cannot express how much your comment means to me. I heart you =] I hope you are doing well and are loved for your authentic self. You deserve it.

To tms20095, anon, 51Woodie, hornier_bastard, blackdragon54, and Purplefizz: a sequel is coming – although I’m not sure it’s the type you desire. There’s only a little few hints of Bobby and Irena’s future, most of the focus is on Irena’s ex and why he acts as he does. It does answer the question of how he tracked Irena down, though.

To NewOldGuy776: I am so grateful to have found you as an editor and a friend. Thank you for your input on the imminent sequel, and for all of your support and help.

To anon who doesn't understand Irena's actions in the context of her emotional state and believes I missed "huge issues"... I wrote my reality, that is all. But, if you want to talk psychology, one particular trauma response is compartmentalization. I am, for better or worse, very good at this. It is not unusual for me to become completely absorbed in the moment and forget about basic safety precautions, regardless of lessons learned in the past, even if I've very recently been dwelling on them. Further, as the type of person who isn't good at prioritizing my needs (and abusers notice and target this), I often struggle to remember that there are people who care about my well being and want to know where I am and that it's not a burden to them to ask for their support. Believe me, if you find it a strange behavior in Irena as a largely uninvolved reader, imagine how frustrating it is for my mother.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A wonderful story. Irena's back story illustrates how an abuser sneaks into one's life. Bobby's, well he sure is a protagonist. Story aside JS I'm sorry that you had this experience but am glad you found an outlet for healing. I hope your "Bobby" is every bit as insightful and caring as this character. 5* all the way!

DP

Runner4069Runner4069over 1 year ago

Really good and insightful look at how abuse can start and escalate. I really liked how Bobby help d her without making it obvious at first. I wicked mad at Darren for not being outside the bathroom for Irena and having her have to deal with her ex there.

Thanks for sharing!

EntourageEntourageover 1 year ago

Really really well written. It has lots of romance, a little bit of sex, many beautifully described artistic references and a whole lot of love!!

I hope you write many more such stories!

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

loved it!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Typical white trash jumps into bed immediately....more infatuation, not romance

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Shut up colourist Anonymous.

The story's beautiful! I wish I could put a heart emoji.

KenfromIndyKenfromIndyabout 1 year ago

Fantastic story well written with good characters and dialogue. Well done plot. I believe this is the first story I have read from this author. I found this story from a link to another story I enjoyed - well done Lit site! Definitely entertained so easy 5 stars!

Now I wonder if a follow up story or will this be a stand alone. It can work either way! I decided to favorite story since very likely to read again. I can’t give any higher compliment then to a writer to say will read there story again!!!

lc69hunterlc69hunter12 months ago

You are a poet, even with your prose

inka2222inka222211 months ago

This is a really good story and 5 stars. But you seem to agree with Bobby and instead I say you're borth wrong and the woman IS right. I **is totally** her fault for picking an abusive asshole **when everyone around her told her about it**. It's not like it was some deep secret unexpected surprise from a nice person. Doesn't mean she deserved abuse - but also doesn't absolve her guilt.

FandeborisFandeboris3 months ago

This one story I can relate. My mother-in-law was in the same shape as Irena. She became her own woman, eventually. I am happy for Irene and wish her well. Some women never get over the abuse. They carry it around like that is the way it is supposed to be not for the terror it is. After reading your comment, I am so glad you found someone to turn your life around. You deserved the chance to make your life better.

5 Stars. “Beautiful “

Take Care

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userJuanaSalsa@JuanaSalsa
I deeply appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read my stories, especially those who comment. I love to hear if my words have connected with you in any way. While there have been many requests for sequels to specific stories, and these inevitably spark ideas, I tend ...