Dark Interests Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay... I'm going to go ahead and just say you're confused, that's to be expected."

"HOLY SHIT! SERIOUSLY?!" Daemon's voice rose in excitement cutting into the women's conversion.

"Yeah! Yeah!" Aaron said, his head bobbing up and down enthusiastically. His eyes sparkled with excitement. "Real teleportation! Just like this!" He clicked his fingers and disappeared before reappearing on the other side of the room instantly.

"FUCK!" Daemon yelled, rushing over to the space mage. "That's AWESOME!"

Amanda shook her head at their antics before turning to see how Elina was handling the casual display of magic. Daemon's girlfriend was handling it quite well, it turned out. The only evidence of her shock was the constant blinking and that fact that she seemed to have stopped breathing. Amanda was about to pound her on the back when the taller woman finally sucked in a rattling breath and shook her head like a dog trying to dry off. Her face slowly morphed into a bemused smile as she continued to watch the pair across the room.

"You okay?" Amy asked.

"Yeah. I think so...part of me is busy going WHAT THE FUCK! WHAT THE FUCK!...I mean it's a lot to take in but...at least I'm handling it better than he is," Elina pointed at Daemon. His large muscular frame was hunched over as he talked excitedly to the space mage. His hands were waving about wildly as he talked. Aaron for his part looked just as excited to have someone show him attention. "It's kind of adorable."

"He's stuck in an interesting place. Part of their world, a being of magic and myth, but at the same time we've hidden from it for so long that he hasn't seen real magic before. I kept him away from most of my little projects because I didn't want any magic rubbing off on him. In some ways it's as new and exciting to him as it is to you." Amanda watched Elina nod with her eyes still focused on Daemon. Amy smiled warmly before asking, "You truly love him don't you?"

"Yes," Elina said before turning to Bower who had remained silent, content to watch everyone. "Can you do that?" She indicated the little round man that was blinking in and out of existence around her laughing and clapping boyfriend.

"No."

"Bower turns into a very big, very fluffy bear," Amanda supplied.

"Seriously?" Elina asked, her eyes going wide.

"Not fluffy."

"Very fluffy," Amanda mouthed to the wide eyed Elina when Bower wasn't looking.

Aaron, having warmed up to Daemon considerably, suggested everyone at least get dressed properly before leaving. Amanda suggested she and Daemon also pack a bit more clothing in case they had to stay a while. Elina only then noticed her dishevelled appearance and with a dark blush and much stammering left the room. Amanda took a quick sniff of her pits and said she was going to have a quick shower. Daemon followed after the two woman leaving Bower and Aaron alone to finish their drinks.

***

The time on the microwave was blinking 1:37 am when everyone was finally ready. Amanda had locked up the house, leaving a few lights on just in case. No one knew how long they would be gone but Aaron had promised Elina he would return her before ten if the Countess allowed it. She knew it was the best he could offer and she accepted his help gladly.

At the space mage's request the group huddled around him. Aaron hoped the rest of them didn't notice the blush on his face when Amy stood close to him. The tight white shirt she wore clung to her impressive breasts and he could see the outline of her bra cup through the fabric. Elina wore a lovely little yellow sundress with pink flowers that ended at her knees. It was the only thing she had packed as she had been expecting to spend the day with Daemon around the house, not go gallivanting off to god knows where. She knew Daemon enjoyed looking at her legs and she had unconsciously changed the way she dressed the longer they had dated. Now, her wardrobe was dominated by mini shorts and short skirts and dresses. Daemon was dressed in his usual ratty pair of jeans over worn work boots and a plain grey shirt, the picture of casual indifference.

"Won't the Countess be asleep?" Daemon asked hopefully, he himself feeling tired.

"I called ahead and let her know. She's expecting us," Aaron said. "Okay, everyone ready?"

He didn't wait for a reply. It was harder tearing space for so many people and it required more mana and a ton more concentration, but space was his affinity and the framework for the spell unfolded in his mind. He made sure to add branches for each of them containing the ideas of group and togetherness before wrapping the branches around the central core of his spell; this would insure they all left and arrived together. Space tore around the group and before any of them could react they appeared in the same opulent foyer with the guards Aaron had visited earlier.

Elina staggered into Daemon as the swift change of environment left her feeling disoriented and confused. Aaron apologised profusely to the couple but Daemon just waved it away, his own head spinning even as he tried steadying his girlfriend. Amanda was leaning against the wall and looked as green as Bower felt.

The guards at the door looked exactly the same as before. Same mask, same altered coats. They both reached out this time, their movements in sync, and swung open the double doors.

At Aaron's behest they dumped their bags in a corner, straightened their clothes and entered the room.

***

Mircalla had been flicking through a report on her desk when the call from Aaron Bokipse had come in. His excitement had bled through the line and given her a much needed excuse to tear herself away from the absolutely riveting piece of paper before her.

The Fae delegation expected to arrive within the month was causing a bit of a stir. Representatives from the Night Court and the Moon Children were constantly seeking an audience with her on behalf of all the Non-humans. The Noble Houses, led by House Acro, were yammering away more than usual in court. No doubt they all expected invitations.

What concerned her though was the unsettling silence of the Fair Folk. The Elves, both dark and light, did not always get along with their Fae cousins but Mircalla expected them to at least show a little interest. She would need to look into it. She didn't trust the Elves, they were almost as manipulative as she was and just as long lived.

And now there was another complication. The new candidate that was strong enough for her to feel. She wasn't as sensitive as that mage, Aaron Bokipse, but her age and experience made up the gap. He would be here soon and she still hadn't decided what to do.

And he was bringing a mundane...

She controlled the growl that bubbled up. She couldn't afford to offend him straight out of the gate. She needed him in her corner. A Black was too powerful to allow her rivals to claim...but a mundane? She would have to play it by ear and make plans as she went.

She messaged her guards telepathically, making sure they knew to allow the group in once they arrived. Then she settled back and got down to business. First she contacted Sassa and informed her of a possible Black level threat. That got her head of security riled up, but she overruled all the woman's protests and told her to instead send Karl to her once the sun rose and he finished patrol. Next she contacted Mini, waking her aide from a deep sleep, and told her to ready rooms for at least three guests for a long duration.

With everything as ready as could be she allowed her mind to drift until two spikes of alarm rose from the telepathic link she kept active with her guards. She sent them one more reminder to allow Aaron Bokipse and his group in. The door swung open without issue and the little squat mage came in first.

Mircalla allowed her eyes to slide over him as she took in the submissive slump of his shoulder and head as expected. Nothing changed there. Next came a woman with vibrant red hair that Mircalla was somewhat familiar with, the woman's features sparking old memories. Mircalla remembered news from fourteen years ago and suddenly parts of the puzzle started to fall into place. Following behind Amanda O'Connor was another woman that was tall and willowy with short stylish black hair. The Countess presumed she was the mundane.

The Countess had to force herself to remain emotionless when an unknown man walked in closely behind the woman. It was the first time in a century she had nearly lost control of herself. He was handsome, his broad frame clad in a simple grey T-shirt and a ratty pair of jeans. She had seen many handsome men in her millenniums walking this Earth and his looks had about as much impact on her as water does to a duck. No, what had her shaken was his smell. It seeped from his skin like a drug, a promising mixture of power and sex and darkness. It wasn't magical; no, his smell was something she hadn't smelt in a long long time. She fought the excited twitch of her fingers. If she was right then he was far more powerful than they thought.

For the first time in a long time the Countess wanted to smile. He was young and so unsure of himself, she could see it in the way he walked. Each step was hesitant. Yet there was some iron to him. His square jaw was set in a firm line with his dark eyes staying steady. The way he walked behind the two women, close but not too close, and the way he watched them and the surroundings showed his protective instincts. Mircalla could work with that, she could turn him to her side before he grew to know his worth. He would be a valuable tool. The urge to smile grew when she saw the moment the young man took in her beauty. Yes, young and so easy to manipulate.

Countess Karnstein leant back in her chair and opened her mouth to begin the games.

"Amanda O'Connor. Some thought you dead," she said. The group stopped before her table, spreading out in a line like students at the principal's office. The Countess hid her growing excitement behind her usual flat tone.

"Countess Karnstein," Amanda said as she bowed. The others followed her lead. The Tinker chose to ignore the rest of the statement. Mircalla let her.

Aaron spoke up, hoping to defuse what was rapidly turning into a chilly situation. "Countess, I give to you, Daemon O'Connor, the source of the ripple and his consort Elina Cancio, a mundane."

Mircalla's grey eyes, as hard as steel and just as cold, rested on Daemon, her beautiful features set in an expressionless mask. "Daemon O'Connor...are you aware that you could be considered a criminal? It is against Clave law to remain unregistered and it is certainly against the law to tell a mundane of our world whilst being unregistered."

"That's my fault!" Amanda said, moving to stand between Mircalla and Daemon. "I was the one that told him to hide and keep his powers a secret. I was the one that suppressed his powers. It was all my idea!"

With slow deliberate movements Countess Karnstein got up from behind her desk. The dress she wore was modelled after the Clave jackets but with a higher collar. Purple stitching ran along the top swell of her full breasts before spilling down to follow the contours of her hips. They drew Daemon's eye as she walked around her desk. She stopped in front of her desk and noted the surprise on his face when he realised that she matched his height.

"Indeed." Countess Karnstein focused once more on Amanda but kept Daemon in her peripheral vision to better judge his reactions. "And in doing so you have made yourself a criminal also. Why risk your life for a child so obviously not your own, Amanda O'Connor?"

"To keep a promise. To keep him safe."

The final piece of the puzzle fell into place and Mircalla's cold facade nearly crumbled. Amanda had just confirmed the Countess's suspicions without even realising it and now that she knew what they wanted, she knew what needed to be done to keep the Black, this Daemon, around and under her influence. Plans moved through the beautiful woman's cunning mind in seconds, changing and evolving as she thought through possible problems and solutions to what she knew was coming. She chose the best option and put it in motion.

"Master Bokipse, Bower, it is late and you have both had a long day. I am most pleased with your work, expect a considerable bonus. You are dismissed."

Aaron looked startled at the sudden dismissal but bowed his head and turned to leave. He stopped next to Daemon long enough to slip him a card. "Let me know when Elina needs to go home," he whispered quietly.

Bower bowed to the Countess and turned. Meeting Amanda's eyes, he gave a barely perceptible dip of his boulder-like head. From the stoic Werebear that was the same as a warm hug of support and Amanda gave him a weak smile of thanks in return.

Once the door closed with a click Mircalla motioned towards the curtained wall to the right between two stuffed bookcases. "Come."

The room hidden behind the curtain was less formal and the place Mircalla used to conduct real business. Thick curtains covered the windows between bookshelves with books that were more worn than those outside, their covers cracked and wrinkled with age. A large full length painting of the Countess in a blood red ballroom dress with a black wolf asleep at her feet hung on one wall. Across from it a marble fireplace surrounded by large soft chairs blazed merrily. Mircalla saw Amanda's eyes widen in recognition when she took in the sight of a plain looking sword resting on the mantle over the fire. Its naked blade glowed a gentle orange in the flickering light of the flames.

"You recognize it?" Mircalla asked her whilst motioning to Daemon and the subdued Elina to sit at the same time.

"...In the midst of the lake Arthur was ware of an arm clothed in white samite, that held a fair sword in that hand..." Amanda mumbled quietly.

Pleased at the Tinker's reaction Mircalla sat herself down. She raised an eyebrow as Elina chose to sit snuggled up against Daemon but she figured the mundane woman felt safer with him so she ignored it.

"I know of you, Amanda O'Connor, I know of your family's service and of their dedication. It is the only reason I will listen to your reasons for hiding a Black and not have you killed outright for breaking our laws."

"Try it!" growled Daemon with such menace that even the Countess was taken aback for a second.

Mircalla cocked a sharp eyebrow at the young man. Secretly, her heart thumped happily at the brief show of spine. It wouldn't do to have someone so powerful so easy to push over. His urge to protect his loved ones would be her fulcrum, she decided.

"I am centuries past needing to try things young Daemon. I simple wish them done and it is so. Now, Amanda O'Connor, your story, for surely you have one."

Amanda took a deep breath before looking over at Daemon to see how he would react but all she saw was love and acceptance as he looked back at her. She remembered the magical resonance and wondered if he felt the same way about her then blushed when she realised that the magical phenomenon could only happen because he felt the same way.

"It's okay Amy, you might as well tell her everything. Elina should know as well," Daemon said before kissing Elina gently on the brow as she snuggled closer to him.

Amanda opened her mouth before realising she didn't know where to begin. Memories of her best friend and the last time she saw her made her blink away tears and suddenly she knew where to start.

"Cassandra Larsson was the best person I knew and the greatest life mage to be born into House Larsson. She was everything you expected of a life mage: kind, gentle, generous, happy, beautiful. She just...she glowed with life, that's the only way I can describe it, you know? We went to school together and not once did she look down on me for being a mere Tinker so I guess it was only natural that I gravitated towards her. She made people feel special and loved and that...pulled them in and wrapped them around her. She believed in helping the Clave and I wanted to help her so when she joined a Roving team I did all I could to join up as well." Amanda waved her hand towards the curtain as she explained to Daemon and Elina, "That's where we met Bow-Wo..er..Bower."

"Anyway, it was during the six month break we got in between shifts that she met Derek Blackstrome. I met him a few times early on, when they started dating, and it was easy to understand why she fell for him. He was handsome and charming and power just oozed off him." She stopped to look at Daemon. He was so like his father in some ways. She chuckled a little at the next part. "Cassandra was a life mage through and through and stubborn as all hell so of course she decided that she wanted a child. More specifically she wanted Derek's child so she set about making that happen until she came to me one night, crying. Derek said he couldn't conceive and she didn't know what to do...she didn't like that, not knowing what to do. She always had to have an answer." Amanda smiled as she remembered her best friend's stubborn nature. "So of course she came up with one. What better use for life magic than to help create life?"

Mircalla could see where this was going and she had to admit she was impressed with the late Cassandra Larsson. It would have taken a tremendous amount of power and skill to maintain the framework for a spell that strong and complex for nine months. The Countess couldn't actually remember ever hearing of something like that being done before.

Daemon was stroking Elina's hair with his gaze on the flickering fire and his thoughts a thousand miles away. Amanda had told him this story when he was thirteen. He felt a hand on his chin and looked down into twin pools of warm chocolate as Elina stretched a little and placed a soft kiss on his lips. Her attempt at comforting him while not breaking Amanda's train of thought was appreciated and he tweaked her nose playfully.

"I was with her when she told Derek that she was carrying his child. I've never seen a man so happy...then he got scared. Really scared. He said people would come for him, for Cassandra, for the baby. He...he disappeared shortly after. I thought he may have ran to protect them, Cassy thought he may have already been caught and wanted to go looking for him but then she had the baby. A big chubby thing with the most gorgeous smile." She smiled lovingly at Daemon. "I was his godmother, so it was only natural that I move in with Cassy and help out where I could. Her family only got in the way. Life mages all of them, and each so determined they knew the best way to raise the child that they steamrolled over her. I spent the first few months fending them off with a broom. Literally! A broom! It was fun...Daemon grew and Cassy was so proud. So so proud. Then when De was four he had a little accident. A magical accident. He tripped and skinned his knee and he healed it...Cassy was ecstatic, she thought he was like her. A life mage."

Amanda stopped talking, her eyes growing moist as she remembered what happened next. Daemon whispered something in Elina's ear before untangling himself from her. He walked over to the buxom redhead and scooped her up to hold her against his chest. Still carrying her, he settled back down on the couch. Amanda gave a wet little giggle at the ease with which he manhandled her. She snuggled into the crook of one arm while Elina snuggled into the other.

Mircalla watched the interaction with interest, taking note of his protective instinct towards both women. She would need to be careful of how she treated his household. To someone like him, the way she treated those he cared about would be just as important as how she treated him.