Darkness Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Everyone was busy laughing, and celebrating with various kinds of alcohol. Against all odds, we had all survived. Well, more or less. It wasn't something I expected, and definitely won't expect in the future. We had spared the humans, and only time will tell if that was really the right decision or the decision that doomed us all. For now, I didn't worry or fear, I just worried about making my new found and unlikely friends as comfortable as possible. Even the one I couldn't see.

Annabelle had been invaluable in helping us. I don't think we would have survived had it not been for her. Looking back at the person I was, I felt ashamed for trying to kill what I didn't understand. I understood love and compassion now, as well as empathy and mercy. Instead of putting myself before others, I had finally started putting others before myself. I wanted to savor this moment, I didn't want it to end. Seeing all of the smiling faces, the kisses and affectionate touches between loved ones and the playful banter between friends made me finally realize what being human is all about.

Sarah was coming to terms with what she is, a perfect hybrid between the species. She had all the speed and strength of the vampire, with the raw destructive transformative power of the werewolf and had neither the weakness to the sun nor weakness to silver. In fact, the only weakness I could see was the thirst of the vampire and the hunger of the werewolf. She was something I had never thought was possible, yet here she was despite all odds. Only time will tell if she is capable of controlling both powers.

Heather now treated me as one of her girlfriends, and would chat with me for hours about things I didn't care about, but I still enjoyed the attention and the friendship. She had made her relationship work with Colton and Annabelle, as she did not want to give up what she had with Colton. She was reluctant to move back into her old house, but I told them they could stay as long as they wanted.

"You're being awfully quiet. Are you okay?" Taylor asked me.

I snapped out of my trance and smiled. "Yes, I am more than okay. I am more okay than I have been in a long, long time." I responded in a cheerful voice.

Taylor smiled, and sat down next to me. "Why is that?" She asked.

I sighed and looked around the room. Colton and Michael were busy arm wrestling each other. "Because I am finally happy. For the first time in a long time I feel free of worry and stress, and I feel like I finally belong somewhere. I almost feel like-" I told her, but cut myself off. I was still getting used to expressing emotion.

Taylor took a drink. "Do you mean like part of a family?" She asked.

I sighed and giggled. "Yes, like part of a family. Don't tell the others I said that." I told her.

Sarah and Blake looked in my direction and grinned.

Taylor nodded. "I think they know, and I think they feel the same way." She told me.

Blake and Sarah nodded.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, I'm going to go get some fresh air before sunrise." I told her. I stood up, and walked out the front door. I closed it behind me and sat on my porch steps, staring up at the stars.

"It's kind of boring out here by oneself. Do you mind if I join you?" Blake asked.

I jumped, not knowing he could be that silent and sneak up on me. I nodded.

Blake sat down beside me, and offered me a beer which I accepted. "Thank you for everything you've done. Thank you for your kindness, for giving us shelter when we had none and thank you for helping us in our time of need." He said.

I nodded, and took a drink of the beer. "You're welcome." I told him, and continued looking at the stars. There was something I had been wanting to tell him that had been bugging me.

"Can I ask you something?" Blake asked.

I looked at him. "What is it?" I asked.

Blake looked down at his beer. "If anybody who is bitten but not decapitated can turn, why didn't Ellie?" He asked in a troubled tone.

I sighed. "Just because you can doesn't mean you will. Her body was probably broken beyond what lycanthropy could fix. If the injury was big enough she wouldn't have been able to. I doubt even vampire blood could have mended her broken body." I replied.

Blake sniffled, and I could tell he was almost at the point of crying. He clutched the bottle so tight it broke in his hands. "Why couldn't I save her?" He asked and wiped tears from his eyes.

I felt bad for Blake. He had saved countless lives, but was still fixated on the one he could not save. He was brave, and a much better person than I could ever be. I would have killed those humans without a second thought, he was the only one who showed me what a monster I would have been if I would have killed them.

I wrapped my arm around him and gave him a hug. "Blake, you did save her. If you hadn't showed up when you did, her last moments would have been of being alone, cold and afraid in the darkness. She died knowing kindness, and that a complete stranger cared enough to stay with her until the very end, despite knowing that danger was still present. You are a better person than I could ever be, which is why I need to tell you a couple of things." I told him, removing my hand.

Blake wiped his eyes. "What do you need to tell me?" He asked, sighing heavily.

I looked him in the eyes. "Blake, I don't know if you know this but our species are mortal enemies. Whatever happens between us in the future, I want you to never forget that we are friends. I care about you, despite the eternal war that rages between our factions." I told him.

Blake shook his head. "I could never fight you, not after what we went through." He responded.

I knew he was wrong. "The vampire and werewolf races have never achieved peace for very long. Both sides have committed atrocities, and both sides have been the first to attack at some point. When that day comes, you will have to take a side." I told him.

Blake shook his head. "I know nothing of this war, and I don't care to know. All I care about is protecting Sarah, and my family even though I will long outlive them." He replied.

I looked at him with sadness. "Blake, the war always finds us. It is quite literally in our blood to fight and kill each other. If we ever find ourselves on opposite sides, remember that we once cared about each other." I told him in a grim tone.

Blake shook his head again. "I will not fight you. As far as I am concerned, this is my pack, as unconventional as it may be. If it ever came down to it, I would fight alongside you, not against you." He responded.

For a while I didn't say anything. I hoped Blake was right. I considered him a friend, and didn't want to fight against him.

"What was the other thing?" Blake asked after a few minutes of silence.

I once again looked him in the eyes. "Blake, humans have been at war with our species for a very long time, since the dawn of creation. If you remember anything I ever say, remember this- they will always come for your loved ones. That is the main reason I cut myself off from everybody in the first place, was so that they couldn't hurt anyone I care about. Make sure your loved ones are protected. Sarah is an anomaly, the first of her kind. Both sides will want to claim her, which could start a war. The humans, if they discover what she is, will also want to claim her, to study her." I warned him in a serious tone.

Blake nodded. "If they come, I will stop at nothing to keep her safe." He told me.

I smiled, stood up, and walked back inside. I closed my eyes, and listened to the sound of joy and laughter. For once in my life,everything seemed perfect and I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my chest. For now, there was peace. I did not know how long this peace would last, but one thing was for certain. There will be a time when darkness will come again. Just as the sun rises, darkness must too fall.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's note, cont'd

Thank you all so much for reading this story, it has been a wild ride from the humble beginnings of 'My Soul Mate' to this ultimate culmination of all story arcs. The stories moving forward will be affected by the events that transpired in Darkness Falls. This is not the last crossover between the characters, only the beginning.

I want to thank the music artists that helped me get through these stories, for their music helped for both inspiration as well as helping me focus. There are too many to name, but each one of them helped me at just the right time. This story, like a lot of my stories, would not have been possible without them.

Rest In Peace, Stan Lee. You were my biggest inspiration, and my world will never be the same without you. Your stories inspired many generations and will live on in countless more. You made me believe that anyone can be a hero, no matter their flaws or imperfections. Excelsior, my hero!