Daughters of the Moon Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Right? The contrast between the upbeat music and the tragic lyrics was really fascinating."

Carla noticed Gwen and Felicity's eyes had partially glazed over while they were talking, but when Caroline mentioned Celador, Felicity snapped to attention.

"Is he actually from Celador?" asked Felicity, "I'm surprised he'd dare show his face here."

"He is but he's from Velsaire. It's a big arty commune in the middle of a sea of religious fanaticism. They have a great music scene. They tend to be a lot more tolerant," said Carla.

"Why would the Good King let such a place flourish?"

"The Church of the Father is always trying to rein them in but they have deep roots in the country," said Caroline. "All the great Celadorean bards came from there and the Good Kings like to keep the bards and musicians on their side. They give the king plenty of support with pro-royalist music."

Felicity shook her head, "I don't know why we tolerate his presence here either. For all we know he's a spy."

Caroline laughed, "You really don't understand music, Felicity. Some things are beyond politics. But enough nonsense. Carla, come here."

Carla hesitantly came close and Caroline enveloped her in a hug, "Welcome to the house," she whispered in Carla's ear.

Caroline broke the hug but stayed close to Carla, holding her hands. "It's so good to have you here with us. I know joining us wasn't your choice, but I for one am so happy to have you as a sister and I hope I can play some small part in making you feel you welcome."

Carla stared at Caroline, trying to read if she was lying. After the tension with Evelyn she didn't trust her enthusiasm. But then she saw a brief flare of pink and yellow around Caroline and though she didn't understand exactly what it meant she knew instinctively Caroline was being honest. She was truly happy to have Carla as family.

"Thank you. That... really means a lot. Music was always the one thing I could enjoy when my life got hard. It gave me hope when Gwen told me about you. That there might be a place for me here."

"Of course you have a place here. You've only been here a month and you've already brought a talented musician into the house. I can't wait to see what else you bring to us in time. Elaine has her first recital at my salon next week. Will you attend?"

"Of course. That's half the reason I'm here right now."

"It's good to know your place in our house holds such value to you," said Felicity.

"I value my place in this house exactly as much as it values me."

There was an uncomfortable silence. Felicity opened her mouth for an angry reply when suddenly her eyes widened. "Oh my."

Carla turned to follow her gaze and saw a tall, aristocratic vampire with long, blond hair. He was in a long, black coat with a white shirt underneath opened ridiculously low, showing off an expanse of smoothly muscled chest. He had a sword in an elaborate scabbard on his belt and a large ruby on a chain that hung down to his exposed chest.

"Who is that?"

"Adrian Dracul, the eldest childe of Vlad Dracul's youngest bride," said Caroline, her voice was a whisper.

"He's kind of a legend," said Gwen. "He was at the forefront of the last two wars of the Dragon. He's traveled all over the world, lived among all the houses, kidnapped and turned princesses, profaned the Father's churches, and defeated scores of heroes. They say that the ruby he has is the heart of a dead god he stole from Marand, the City of Eternal Night."

Carla stared at him, "Huh."

"What?" asked Gwen.

"I've just discovered I can still be attracted to men."

"I wouldn't take your reaction to him a sign of anything," said Caroline, "There are Mircalla who haven't touched a man in decades who have fallen to him."

"I heard he arrived in Tamlin a week ago but this is the first time he's made a public appearance," said Felicity.

"What's he doing here?" asked Carla.

Felicity looked angry, "Obviously he's here to take control of the army from the lady Sophia. The Draculs weren't happy we neutered their leadership of this army and conquered so much land for ourselves. The Dragon must have sent him to try and steal our gains out from under us."

"Oh, you don't know that," said Caroline, "He could just as likely just be here to coordinate the next stage of the campaign with the Dragon's army."

"He's a Dracul. He never saw something he didn't want to take for himself."

"Speaking of which, is he talking to Elaine?" asked Gwen.

"Oh dear, I believe he is," said Caroline, "You'd better get over there, Carla; Adrian is a notorious sybarite. Rumor has it he once seduced and turned an entire convent of nuns in a single night."

"Unless of course you want him to give him a night with your thrall. It would be a good way to ingratiate yourself," said Felicity.

The very idea of a man touching Elaine made her blood start to pound. Rage and jealousy started simmering in her chest. She felt pressure on her upper jaw as her fangs extended.

"I... think I'm going to go over there. Coming, Gwen?"

"Umm... I might stay here if that's alright?"

Carla looked over at Gwen, shocked. Gwen was staring at Adrian with a haunted look.

"Is everything alright?

"Yeah...yeah, I'm fine. I just need another drink."

"I might need backup?"

Gwen jumped and looked from Adrian to Carla, then shook her head. "You'll be fine. Adrian has a code. If you tell him Elaine is our thrall and we're not sharing he'll respect that."

And with that Gwen left quickly, obviously trying to avoid any more conversation.

Carla watched her go, discomfited. She had never seen Gwen fail to back her up. She wondered what Adrian had done to scare Gwen so badly.

She looked back and Adrian had leaned close to Elaine and was speaking quietly, almost whispering in her ear. Elaine had a small smile, and her eyes looked dreamy.

Without thinking, Carla strode across the room without saying goodbye to Felicity or Caroline. She walked towards Elaine and Adrian in floor eating strides. She saw Adrian's hand reach around Elaine and come to rest on her lower back. The world abruptly became a blur and she was right next to Elaine.

"What do you think you're doing?" she said, glaring at Adrian

Adrian blinked, "I... was having a conversation? With a nice young lady?"

"Oh, is that what was happening?" She got right up in his face, reached into his coat and around to put a hand on his lower back. With only the thin material of his shirt between her fingers and his skin, she dug her nails into him, right above the waist of his pants.

"Are we having a conversation now? This isn't usually how I start one but I'm always willing to try new things."

Carla became aware the noise in the room had died off a bit. She once again had the unmistakable feeling that a lot of people were looking at her.

Adrian stared down at her, their faces inches apart. This close she couldn't ignore how pretty he was. She ruthlessly suppressed the tightness in her chest.

Adrian's small smile got wider. He chuckled quietly and took a step back from her and Elaine.

"I apologize, my lady. I didn't realize this thrall was yours exclusively. Had I known I would never have poached."

Carla felt her anger and jealousy drain away and she realized she had just picked a fight with a vampire that could probably snuff her out like a candle just by looking at her. In any number of ways.

"I apologize as well. That was... very rude of me."

"Only a little rude. And there is no need for you to apologize. You are new to the blood and it can take a while to master the impulses it gives us."

Next to her, she heard Elaine draw a sharp breath, "Carla? What..."

"It's alright," said Carla. She reached out and gave Elaine's hand a quick squeeze, "It's good to see you."

"Good to see you too," said Elaine, "I was just talking to... I'm sorry, what was your name?"

"Of course, now that we have both managed to offend and apologize to each other, I think we can move onto introductions. I am Adrian Lisette Dracul and it is a pleasure to meet you." he made a small bow.

"Carla... um Gwendolyn Mircalla."

"It does feel strange at first, doesn't it?"

"Pretty much everything feels strange right now."

Adrian nodded, "The first few years require a lot of adjustment. You're lucky to have Gwen as a sire though. I know she will do everything in her power to help you. I was overjoyed when I heard Gwen finally had a childe of her own. I knew her sire and it's great to see her line continue."

"You knew Gwen's sire?"

"I did. We fought side by side the last time my grandfather made a bid for world domination. It was an absolute disaster but Mara and I had a good time," Adrian sighed theatrically, "until her tragic demise."

"She's dead?"

"Yes, she died in the last war. A terrible loss."

"Gwen never told me anything about her."

"I'm not surprised. Gwen and Mara had a very complicated relationship. That is no doubt why she declined to come speak to me."

"What sort of relationship?"

"You'll have to ask Gwen. Mara and I were very intimate and I wouldn't want to betray her trust."

Adrian gave her boastful smile, and Carla rolled her eyes inwardly. Adrian seemed like the kind of guy that loved his reputation more than any woman.

"Did you really seduce an entire convent of nuns in a single night?"

Adrian's smile got wider, obviously pleased she had heard the story. But then he shook his head.

"Telling tales, are they? It took three nights. What else were they saying?"

"That you're here to take control of the army from Sophia."

"Ooo, politicking already are you?"

"It seems like everyone else is."

"Of course they are. One can only feed and fornicate for so long before you need variety. Would you like to know a secret?"

Carla instinctively leaned forward. Adrian smiled and leaned forward as well. So did Elaine.

"I was indeed sent here by my grandfather to take control of the army. He was quite upset Sophia was able to dominate our local house head, Lord Tarlyton, so easily. He's an effective general but was always a bit weak willed. My grandfather sent me to 'set things right' as he put it."

"And will you set things right?"

"I think... that Sophia has done an excellent job with a difficult task. I'm more interested in supporting her so that she continues to succeed. A rising tide lifts all boats, after all."

"That doesn't sound very.... Draculish of you. Aren't you supposed to be all ambitious?"

Adrian laughed louder this time, "Draculish. I love that. So obvious, yet I haven't heard that one in a hundred years. But to answer your question, of course I am ambitious, but I have ambitions other than the ones my grandfather sets for me. Ambitions Sophia can help with as an ally if I do her a good turn."

"I have no idea what that means."

"I'm sure you'll figure it out eventually." said Adrian.

Then he smiled at Carla. It was a lazy smile. And Carla tried very hard not to let the flare of heat in her legs show on her face.

Then Adrian's smile vanished, "Oh dear."

Carla turned and saw Gwen walking quickly for the exit. She had her head down and was wiping her eyes. Carla looked back to where she had come from and saw Felicity staring at her back with a pleased grin.

"What just happened?"

"It seems that young harpy said something to upset poor Gwen. Gwen is quite the warrior but she always had a soft heart."

Carla glared at Felicity. Anger bubbling in her chest. This was a cool anger though. Like a swift, strong river under a crust of ice.

"Let's go, Elaine."

Without another word Carla turned and started walking toward Felicity.

"Carla."

Carla turned back.

"If you need a second I'm happy to offer my sword," said Adrian, "I hold Gwen in some affection for the sake of her mother. If you do speak to her of me, let her know I would love to meet her face to face."

Carla nodded and walked quickly towards Felicity. She heard Adrian whisper to Elaine before Elaine rushed to join her.

"Don't do anything stupid," said Elaine.

"When have I ever done anything stupid?"

"Give me a minute to make a list."

Carla stood in front of Felicity. Caroline was still next to her, looking visibly upset.

"What did you say to her?"

Felicity's smile was predatory, "I merely said you were the very model of a Mircalla, and that you finally prove Gwen is actually of our blood."

Carla stared at Felicity, feeling her anger build. The cool, icy river inside her overflowed its banks. She turned to Caroline, giving her voice a tinge of false calm and cheer.

"Caroline, Gwen has been giving me sword lessons but hasn't actually told me how you go about challenging someone to a duel. Could you tell me how to go about it?"

"What? Oh, I see," said Caroline. She broke into an impish grin, "What Felicity said qualifies as an Insult. So you must claim Insult and then state the nature of the grievance. You could also give her a light slap first if you wanted to make your grievance more public and escalate. Oh, you'll need a second. Which I'm willing to act as."

"I don't see why you would be insulted. Everyone here has been saying the same thing for dec..."

Carla slapped Felicity. She might have done it a little too hard. It sounded like a musket discharge and Felicity stumbled backwards, almost falling. For the second time in the last twenty minutes she brought all conversation to a stop and felt all the eyes in the room on her.

Carla used a normal speaking voice, not playing to the room but she was sure everyone could hear her in the silence, "I claim Insult. You have mocked my sire and questioned my parentage."

Felicity straightened, her face drenched with rage. "I acknowledge the Insult. I offer no apology. I offer bloodshed. Will anyone second?"

"I'll second."

Carla turned and saw it was Evelyn that had spoken, the aspiring blademaster. She gave Carla a vicious grin. Carla had a brief vision of Evelyn's aura flashing violet and magenta and she understood this had been a trap, they had insulted Gwen to goad her to challenge Felicity with Evelyn as her second, then Felicity would bow out so Evelyn could humiliate her in a duel. Carla didn't understand why they felt the need to humiliate her and Gwen, it all seemed absurdly petty to her, but the reason didn't matter. What mattered was they were trying to hurt Gwen and Carla wouldn't allow that. Carla felt her own sense of victory as she played her trump card.

"Will anyone second?" asked Carla. Caroline opened her mouth but Carla touched her arm and made a minute shake of her head. Caroline closed her mouth.

Dead silence filled the room.

Carla sighed and raised her voice, "Adrian?"

Adrian looked up. He had been speaking to Nikola in a low intense voice. "What? Oh, sorry, I second."

Then he went back to his conversation.

There was an indrawn breath around the room and when she looked back, Felicity and Evelyn both looked frightened. They gave each other a look and Evelyn abruptly walked away.

"I offer an Apology," said Felicity.

Carla looked at Caroline.

"You can either accept the Apology or demand Remuneration," said Caroline, "A favor for later or some small item of value. Not too valuable since it was an Insult rather than an Injury, but you can demand more because the Apology came only after you named your second. That's in poor taste."

"What about her sword?"

"The sword would be acceptable."

"This sword was a gift from my sire!" said Felicity, outraged.

"It's not a very good sword. And maybe it'll make you think twice before you try bullshit like this again."

"You need to say the words," said Caroline.

"Oh, right. I demand Remuneration. Give me your sword."

Slowly, Felicity unbuckled her sword and handed it to Carla. There was another round of muttering throughout the room. Then without another word Felicity stalked out of the room.

Elaine leaned over, "Okay, that was fucking awesome."

"Thanks. We need to go find Gwen," said Carla. She turned to go.

"Is it okay if I stay? I'm meeting a lot of people," said Elaine.

Carla bit her lip. She had already had to rescue Elaine once this evening and she was worried about leaving her alone.

"I can look after her," said Caroline, "but please tell Gwen it would mean a lot to me if she were to attend Elaine's recital as well. She never comes to house events and now feels like a good time to start anew. Please let her know."

Carla nodded, "I will. Thank you, Caroline."

Carla walked towards the exit to the throne room and slowed when she neared Sophia. The Mircalla princess had come down to mingle with the crowd and was speaking to another Mircalla and an overdressed Dracul lord.

Sophia raised an eyebrow as she passed.

Carla came to a stop, "May I be excused, your highness?"

Sophia took a sip of her drink before answering, "Seeing as you disappeared under a shroud for ten minutes to engage in secret negotiations, insulted and then formed an alliance with my new chief rival, then challenged one of the leaders of the traditionalist faction to a duel and used my chief rival to humiliate her, I feel you've made a suitable impact at tonight's gathering. So you are excused."

"Thank you your highness,"

Carla quickly left the throne room. She walked a few paces down the hall and stopped, uncertain. She could think of a few places Gwen could be but she wasn't sure where to go first. Then her eyes itched and she felt a weight behind her brow. She saw a cloudy trail, little wisps she knew were Gwen's aura, snaking down the hall. She followed them.

She found Gwen sitting on a bench in front of the lake in the palace gardens. The lake had been built a few decades ago and was fed by the nearby river. Gwen and Carla had been talking about boating on the lake for the past few weeks but hadn't gotten around to it yet. It was a beautiful clear night, and the crescent moon, the symbol of house Mircalla, reflected on the perfect mirror of the lake.

"Hi, Gwen."

Gwen started and turned.

"You found me."

"I did."

She went and sat next to Gwen on the bench, gazing out at the lake by her side.

"I'm sorry I left," said Gwen, "It's been a long time since I went to one of those things. I forgot how much I hate them. I just needed some air."

"I understand."

Gwen glanced at her, "Where did you get that sword?"

"From Felicity."

Gwen stiffened, sitting very straight. "Felicity?"

"Uh huh. She told me what she said to you so I slapped her and claimed Insult. She offered the sword as remuneration."

Gwen broke out in a proud smile, "That's fantastic,"

But then her smile faded, "She told you what she said?"

"Uh huh."

"Then you know."

"I know she was a... what did Adrian say? A harpy, and she got what she deserved. What am I supposed to know?"

"That I was never meant to be a Mircalla."

"What are you talking about?"

Gwen slumped and looked down at herself, "I mean just look at me. I look ridiculous."

Carla turned to ask what the hell Gwen meant but then she saw it. Gwen was beautiful. And Carla had been struck by her beauty the first night they had met, but she didn't look like the rest of the Mircallas. She was four or five inches shorter than any other Mircalla and she was stocky, with broader shoulders and thicker legs than every other member of the house Carla had seen.

"So you're saying you're the wrong kind of beautiful? You can't tell me that matters."

"Maybe not by itself but when they look at me they remember...They remember what I was like when..."

Gwen trailed off and looked away from her. Whatever this pain was. It was old and deep. Carla knew she should be intensely curious but she found she didn't feel a need to know the story. Gwen's past didn't matter as much as being with her now and the future they could make together. Gwen would tell her when she was ready.