Daughters of the Moon Pt. 08

Story Info
Carla has a a few difficult meetings.
11.9k words
4.96
2.4k
4

Part 8 of the 14 part series

Updated 03/17/2024
Created 10/21/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
testudo
testudo
139 Followers

Thanks to Liter Knight for their excellent editing and encouragement. I couldnt have done it without them!

Chapter 8

Carla stood in front of the latest distiller that she and Stephanie had repaired. Anika had infused the runes yesterday and this was the first time they had been asked to test one. The servant Stephanie had brought was sitting in the lounge enjoying a meat pie to recover after Stephanie had expertly inserted the needle to drain the blood out of him for the distiller.

"So it doesn't hurt them?"

Stephanie shook her head, "You can extract about one tenth of the blood in the human body every five days without any ill effects, though we usually recommend once a week just to be safe. Coincidentally, that is about how much a vampire needs to get through the night."

Carla nodded, "and this preserves the blood?"

"Right, normally blood loses most of its potency for us after a couple of minutes outside of a human body, but the distiller solidifies it and preserves it so it can be reliquified later for consumption. The bottles and cups we use have preservation spells as well, but those are less effective and are only for short term use."

"That's incredible. And this is new?"

"Yes. Master Anika developed it several years ago."

Carla stared at the alchemical, necromantic machine in front of her. She remembered the market square, hundreds of people giving just a little blood. She quickly tried to calculate how much blood you would get if you did that once a week, to everyone in a city, in a country, in the world.

"That's how they did it."

"What?"

"Sebas... someone told me Sophia used magic to take the city that would have required the blood of hundreds of people."

Stephanie nodded, "I've heard they... we used to drain hundreds of people dry when we went to war. For the big war spells and to maintain our armies. But we don't need to do that anymore."

Carla stared at the machine again, the machine she had repaired, the machine that was letting the vampires sweep away the kingdoms of men in a tide of blood. She felt a surge of guilt.

"Stephanie, do you ever regret working here? What we're doing... to the world?"

Stephanie looked at her for a long moment. It was by far the most personal question she had ever asked.

"Sometimes... but when I was still human I worked in a spellwright shop, the same as you. But my boss... he used to... touch me..." Stephanie's voice was absolutely flat but her eyes were haunted. "... when I told my priest, he told me I was lucky to have a job. When I told the watch they laughed and said they'd take a turn too. Now..." she shrugged. "Master Anika treats me well. And if anyone did try something I'm not as strong as you but I could at least fight."

"So we're making the world a better place?"

Stephanie shrugged "It's better for me. And with the distiller, vampires can feed without hurting anyone. We can coexist more easily."

"It seems like we still do though. Hurt people."

"So do humans."

Before Carla could respond there was a faint hiss from the machine, Stephanie opened up a door in the side and pulled out a dull black bar about as big as a hand and two inches thick.

Stephanie picked it up and sniffed, "Perfect! It's working."

Stephanie smiled at her. Despite the conversation they had just had Carla felt a warm glow of accomplishment.

Stephanie rubbed her face, "Alright, I'll tell Anika. I think there's another batch of skeletons to prep. We can...

"Lady Carla."

They both turned and a courtier was standing a respectful distance away from them.

"Lady Sophia requests your company for luncheon."

Cara sighed. She had known something like this was coming. Ever since Gwen left she knew she was on borrowed time. She looked over at Steph, who was staring at her with wide eyes, then back at the page.

"Was there a note?"

"No, her highness trusted me with the message verbally."

"I see. Can you please convey my appreciation for her humble request but unfortunately I am busy with important work."

She heard Stephanie gasp. The page blinked at her as if she had been speaking a foreign language.

"My lady?"

"Was my message unclear?"

The courtier didn't show any other sign of surprise. He maintained a cool blank composure.

"No, my lady. I will tell her," he said. He left without another word.

"What are you doing?" asked Stephanie.

"What? It was a request. Last I checked those were optional. Now what's next on the docket?"

"Umm... I..." Stephanie trailed off. Completely at a loss.

"Oh it'll be fine. I've been down here for almost three months and Sophia's never bothered me. I'm sure she can wait a few more."

"But she's the head of our house. You can't make her mad."

"Why what's she going to do, have me beaten?"

"Yes!"

"Wait, really?"

"Probably, maybe not tonight but there have been public whippings."

"Oh... I guess it's too late now but I will keep that in mind for the future. Should we go see if we have any skeletons to carve?"

Stephanie looked at her like she was crazy, "I guess."

Carla and Stephanie walked over to the administration table to get their next assignment and there were indeed plenty of skeletons that required new runework. Grabbing a bag full of bones and another of brass rings, they went over to one of the assembly tables. They had only gotten through one set of arm connectors when Carla saw the courtier approaching again. She put down her carving tool.

"Lady Carla, Princess Sophia demands you attend her."

"Oh she demands it now?"

"She does, mistress."

"Now, forgive my ignorance. Is a demand the same as a command or are those separate terms in blooded court etiquette?"

"Carla."

Carla turned to her right and saw Anika looking at her.

"May I speak to you for a moment?"

Carla gave a quick nod.

"Sir, if you would give us a moment," said Anika.

The courtier nodded and went back to the entrance to the lab. All the assistants, who had stopped to take in the drama, began working again.

Carla followed Anika to her office. She told herself over and over that technically she was here as a volunteer and she was not about to be chewed out by her boss.

When they reached the office Anika gestured at her chair, "Have a seat."

Anika sat across from her. "Now, we have not spoken much about the circumstances of you joining the house. I felt it was best to focus on work."

Carla nodded. "I've felt the same."

"And I have spoken to my sister of you, albeit only briefly, and only to praise your hard work and what a credit you are to the house."

"I appreciate that."

"But this hostility between you and Sophia, and by extension the house, is a dangerous path for you to take."

Carla opened her mouth to speak but Anika held up a hand.

"I acknowledge your anger is completely justified. What Sophia did to you and Gwen was common in the past but it is frowned upon today, at least in our house, and I had harsh words for her when we spoke of it. Although I do not agree with her reasons and would never have done the same in her place, she did have reasons, she was not being needlessly cruel."

"What possible reason could justify what she did?"

"I believe the purpose of her summons is for her to explain them to you, in her own way. And it would be best you heard them from her. Sophia is a hard woman. She has been difficult to love as a sister should sometimes, but she has taken the burden of leadership of our house, and that requires her to make decisions that you or I could not stomach. It does not justify everything she does, but I believe you owe her the courtesy of at least an audience, to attempt to patch this rift. Your position is still not without its dangers and you must trust me when I say Sophia has done a great deal to protect you. It is a lot to ask that she continue to do so in the face of your disrespect."

"You could have just asked me to see her as a favor for you."

Anika laughed, "Oh you sweet girl. You keep this up and you may be in the running for favorite niece."

"Does it come with a trophy?

"Do you want a trophy?"

"I do now."

"I'll see what I can do."

Carla went to the page and told him she would be delighted to attend upon the Lady Sophia right after she freshened up. She quickly went to her room to change, putting on her nicest dress in blue and white, with no house symbols or colors, and had a quick bottle of blood to settle her nerves. She considered taking a few minutes to read or take a nap, just to make Sophia wait, but decided against it. She hoped Anika appreciated her restraint.

A servant led her to the terrace behind Sophia's apartments, Sophia was sitting at a dark, iron wrought table, taking tea and looking over the garden, she looked up as Carla was announced.

"Ah, Carla, so kind of you to join me."

"My pleasure, your highness."

"Please when we are alone you may call me Sophia, or grandmother."

"Sophia," said Carla. Grandmother felt far too personal. Sophia didn't deserve that from her.

Carla sat across from her and a servant poured her tea. It was a dark, rich blend similar to breakfast tea but with hints of vanilla and berries she didn't recognize. Carla took a quick sip, not worried about the heat, and it warmed her almost as much as blood.

"Delicious."

"Thank you. It's a personal blend. I took up tea blending as a hobby about... why it was about a hundred and fifty years ago now. It requires a subtlety I appreciated."

Carla blinked. Vampires' conception of time always got to her. It felt like they treated their immortality very casually. Part of it was even with all of time, they seemed just as impatient to get on with things as humans were. She supposed being a vampire didn't break the habits you learned as a human

"I haven't seen you at court since your presentation to the house."

"I've been busy with work."

"Ah yes, your work in my sister's lab. Lab assistant is hardly a worthy role for a full blooded member of house Mircalla."

"It's only temporary. Until my magic returns."

"But still no sign of your magic returning?"

"No," said Carla, through gritted teeth. Of course Sophia would immediately start by making things as uncomfortable as possible.

"Have you considered moving on to other pursuits?"

"Anika says this is the best way to make sure it comes back."

"Has she told you if it hasn't by now it is unlikely to do so?"

The only thing that prevented Carla from panicking is that she would rather have walked into a fire than show any weakness in front of this woman.

"No, she didn't."

"I'm not surprised. Anika does like to coddle. People are talking though."

"What people? I find that usually when people say 'people are talking' it's them doing the talking."

Sophia smiled and took a sip of her tea.

"Many other paths are open to you. Even if your magic doesn't return it will fuel the growth of your other gifts. You already have great power for one newly turned. Anika told me you have developed the Oracle spontaneously as well as great speed and strength. You could fight by Gwen's side as a warrior of the house, learn the Painted Eyes and perfect the Oracle to become a player in court politics, even pursue the rarer gifts of the Shroud and the Flesh and become a hunter. There are many other ways you could serve the house."

"Who says I give two shits about serving the house?"

Sophia froze, there was a slight cracking noise as a small fracture appeared in Sophia's teacup as she squeezed.

"That is an interesting attitude to take with all the house has given you."

"Given me? What about what it took?"

"Your old life? A paltry thing by all accounts. An assistant lorded over by lesser men. No family, little prospect for the future."

"It wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. But regardless, I built it myself. No one gave it to me."

"I understand. There is a joy in building something with your own hands, but you earned your place among us as well with the strength of your will and the potential of your magic. You've been given a good life here. Power, friends, a craft you enjoy. A woman that loves you."

"You think Gwen loves me?"

Sophia laughed richly, "Of course she does."

Carla was quiet for a second. "I'm going to tell you something now that I haven't told anyone and I trust you to keep it a secret. Not because I trust you, but because I can guess how much you enjoy secrets."

Sophia leaned forward with a smile.

"You're right of course, Gwen does love me. I see it all the time. Her aura turns this particular shade of blue."

Sophia nodded, "I know the one."

"And I do love her. I love her very much. I've thought about saying it to her every night since the night I was turned. And I've caught her on the edge of saying it. Her aura turns blue and she opens her mouth and then says something else."

Sophia nodded, "It hardly seems like I have done you an injustice then."

"But we've never actually said it to each other. In all the time we've been together. And even though it hasn't been that long I think it will be decades until we do. Because of what you did to us. What you forced Gwen to do casts a shadow over every part of our relationship. Both of us constantly doubt whether I would have agreed to be turned if I had been given the choice. And I think I would have. I love Gwen enough that I would have agreed to be with her. I think I would. But I'll never know for sure, and neither will Gwen."

Carla leaned forward looking Sophia in the eyes, "and that is what you took from us. What you took from your granddaughter who you claim to love so much. You took her confidence in our relationship. You took away any chance of her believing she deserves to be with me."

Sophia sat back and put down her teacup and looked away, staring off into the gardens behind Carla.

"I'm sorry."

Carla jumped.

"Those are not words many have heard me say."

Carla nodded.

"But I had no choice. It was the only way to keep you both safe."

Carla laughed, "You think this has kept me safe?"

"Gwen told you by becoming her thrall, she would protect you from the Savons' anger."

"Yes?"

"You've been with us for four months. I'm sure you have some inkling as to how that would work. If the Savons managed to exact their revenge on you, Gwen would have claimed Injury, challenged your murderer to a duel, and wreaked terrible vengeance on them. Knowing her, it would involve a thorough dismemberment."

Carla smiled, "Sounds about right."

"And then what? You would still be dead, probably in some horribly creative way given the Savons' proclivities, and Gwen would still be heartbroken. Despite her strength, she has a fragile heart. She could very well have lost herself to grief. I could have extracted some additional concessions, perhaps, but in the end you would just be a dead thrall, of little account. Gold and soil would not bring you back to Gwen. To the Savons, this would be fair trade. Spite and revenge is in their blood, and they would risk far more than Gwen's wrath to see one who has wronged them punished. The penalties for killing one of the blooded are far more severe. Nikola is committed to this alliance and a breach that serious would invite the full measure of his wrath, which no Savon would risk lightly."

"So you forced Gwen to turn me to protect me."

"To protect Gwen. You have some raw talent with the Oracle but I have practiced the gift for centuries. As soon as I saw you together I knew Gwen would fall for you completely. Our blood makes such foolish acts of passion all too common. I could tell that the seeds of love had already been planted in you as well," Sophia smiled, "your aura had some lovely flickers of blue in it that first night in the throne room, and it would only be a matter of time until they blossomed. In you I saw a chance for Gwen to finally overcome the long shadow of her sorrow. But if you remained a thrall I also knew the Savons could use you to finally destroy her completely."

Carla was quiet for a long moment turning over what Sophia had told her in her mind.

"Her sorrow?"

Sophia gave her a narrow look, "She has not told you the circumstances of her joining our house?"

"No... only that she never felt she belonged here."

"Interesting. Her sire, Mara, my first childe..." Sophia looked away, her face spasmed with grief but when she turned back it was completely smooth again "...She was a fierce woman, a great warrior, but very, very proud. Mara never had a childe of her own. She always said she never found anyone worthy enough to share her power. I don't know the exact details but I know Gwen was to be a revenant. A disposable foot soldier in Mara's army, but Mara inadvertently turned her fully instead."

"Is that possible?"

"Quite possible. The blood desires to be spread and rewards us for breeding, just as with humans. It takes self control not to turn someone fully and make a revenant instead. But though the blood pushes us to procreate, siring too young or too often weakens the sire. That is why the houses regulate blooding. Left to our natural devices we would dilute our blood and be easy prey for our enemies.

Mara saw Gwen as an embarrassment, a constant reminder of her own weakness. The only reason she tolerated Gwen at all was she manifested far greater power than could be expected in one newly turned. I loved Mara very much but she had her flaws. She did not treat Gwen as a sire should."

"What happened to her, to Mara?"

"She was killed in the last War of the Dragon. The Good King of the time killed her himself," Sophia smiled fondly. "It would have taken him to do it. No other could have defeated her. After that, Gwen... Mara never told me about her. She never was one to admit a mistake. Gwen fled the remnants of Mara's army and wandered alone for years, barely surviving. It was only when reports of a feral outcaste at the edge of my lands reached my court that I discovered some piece of Mara remained. I took Gwen in and put her back together. It took a long time, she had suffered greatly and had been alone for too long. Even after she joined us she never felt comfortable being among her sisters. The circumstances of her blooding followed her like a cloud, and her long time away from civilized society has made it hard for her to interact with other members of the house. Back home she was often away, hunting miscreants and defending the borders of my lands. It's only since she found you that she has begun to come out of her shell."

Sopia gave Carla a very steady, very serious look.

"I tell you this so that you can appreciate what Gwen means to me, what I have gone through on her behalf. Gwen is the last remnant of my first great love. And though Mara never saw it, she shares her sire's spirit, fierceness, and her joy for life. I would do anything to see her prosper. And if that meant I was... callous towards you, know that it was in the service of one who I love very much."

Carla took a sip of her tea to suppress her reaction. Then she took another sip. The tea helped open her throat after it had closed up from grief. She realized the tea wasn't going to be enough so she closed her eyes and took a breath.

When she opened her eyes Sophia was looking at her over her tea cup.

"I appreciate your apology,"

Sophia nodded.

"Perhaps we can find a way to move forward, for Gwen."

Sophia nodded again, "For Gwen."

"I will think about what you said about... about finding a new path but I would like to continue in the lab for now. I need to... I need to take every chance to try and preserve at least part of what I was."

Sophia nodded, "I can respect that."

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with me."

"Of course. You are a member of this house and, despite your misgivings, we are family."

testudo
testudo
139 Followers