Daughters of the Moon Pt. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"He ate a god?"

"Yup, that's how a human becomes a founder. You have to kill a god by drinking their blood."

"I thought you had to make a deal with the Adversary," said Abby.

Will shook his head, "Nah, that's just some bullshit the Father's church came up with."

"Okay, but is that really true?" Asked Carla, "I read about this and that's what Anika told me but I mean how does a person kill a god?"

"You're probably better off asking a Mircalla that. Your house has most of the scholars."

"To become a founder, a human doesn't actually have to kill the god themselves," said Caroline, "They only have to drink their blood. Only Gevudan claims to have defeated his god in combat."

"From what I've heard he was probably crazy enough to have done it," said Gwen.

Caroline nodded and Will laughed. Gwen suddenly realized she was talking to Will and Abby like they were just friends. No suppressed anger or jealousy or anything. Just having a slightly ridiculous conversation. A feeling of relief washed over her. Maybe she could get past their drama.

"Savon just found the Night Hag stuck in his mill wheel. No one knows how she got there and Savon didn't ask any questions," said Will.

"What about Mircalla?" asked Carla.

"Oh, she didn't kill her goddess, they agreed to merge," said Gwen.

Gwen caught Will giving Abby a smirk and Abby rolled her eyes.

"What?" asked Gwen.

"Nothing," said Will.

"No, I saw that look, what?"

"You really believe that? Mircalla seduced a goddess and she agreed to sacrifice herself?" asked Will.

"Of course," said Caroline, "how else would you explain it?"

"Well, the Dreaming Goddess was supposedly trapped by the Old Ones, right? In the City of Eternal Slumber?"

"Right, in a sorcerous machine they used to harvest her dreams," said Caroline.

"And Mircalla freed her and..."

"They lay together for days and seven nights," said Caroline. Her voice sounded dreamy.

Gwen recognized the quote from the Collected Tales of Mircalla. She had a brief flash of memory, of reading the Collected Tales in a big stuffy chair in Sophia's library. Gwen rubbed her face as she remembered the warmth of the fireplace and smiled fondly at the memory of those nights in her grandma's library, safe for the first time in her life.

"I mean, odds are Mircalla just found the goddess trapped in the machine and ate her," said Will.

"You shut your mouth," said Caroline, "Mircalla would never do that."

"If it was voluntary, if the goddess agreed to merge with Mircalla, would you really still be vampires? I wouldn't think the other gods would curse Mircalla if the Dreaming Goddess gave up her life willingly."

"The gods don't want humans to take their power at all. It doesn't matter if the Dreaming Goddess agreed, Mircalla would have still been punished for her arrogance," said Caroline.

"I suppose," said Will, still sounding skeptical, "I guess there's no way to really know."

"What about the Dragon?" Asked Lily. Gwen could tell she was trying to move everyone away from fighting about Mircalla. Gwen took a moment to appreciate Lily's tact. It was very useful when blooded from different houses were hanging out together.

"There's no doubt about how the Dragon came to be," said Caroline, "it was only five hundred years ago. Back then he was just Vlad Tepesh, one of the more powerful nobles in Ardeal. The Father's church declared a crusade to stamp out the Old Gods of the north, and the Good King of the time answered the church's call. The Good King slaughtered the priests and worshippers of the Old Gods so that the Father could strike down the gods themselves. Vlad Tepesh found the Stormbringer, the northern god of war and lightning, dying in a cave. The Stormbringer offered Vlad his blood if he dedicated the rest of his life to destroying the Father's church and the Good King. Tepesh agreed and the rest is history."

"He hasn't done a very good job keeping his promise," said Carla.

"Nope, but he does keep at it," said Gwen.

Lily, who had started to look bored, suddenly stood, "I need a drink," and smirked at Gwen, "did you actually need a refill?"

Gwen looked down at the empty glass that she had said she was going to refill and never had, "Oh, umm, yeah. Thanks"

Lily nodded, grabbed her glass, and started to leave.

Carla looked at her, a question in her eyes. Gwen nodded and made a subtle shooing motion.

"I'll go with you," said Carla.

As they walked off together Gwen smiled. It was nice to see Carla taking the initiative, looking for a meal. She really was coming into her own.

The next band started to play, another of those Arcano bands that Carla loved but that Gwen found very confusing. When Caroline heard the heavy opening base cord her eyes widened.

"Oh! I didn't realize they were playing. I need to see them. I've heard they use some sort of illusion engine to make these elaborate visual accompaniments to their music."

Before Gwen could say anything Caroline got up and left without another word.

Suddenly Gwen was alone at the table with Will and Abby. Gwen had really thought she was okay. That she was over everything and she could just be happy to be with her friends. But now that they were alone the uneasiness came roaring back. She stared at them awkwardly.

"So," said Will.

"Yeah..." said Gwen, She hesitated. She knew she should just let it lie but she had to know.

"...Look, Will... I have to ask. When you told Carla what happened, did you...?"

"...Skip the part where you mind fucked me and bled me unconscious? Yeah he did," said Abby.

"Abby," said Will, "We talked about this."

"I said I forgive her. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it."

"Why?" Asked Gwen.

"What?" asked Will

"Why do you forgive me? Why would you cover for me like that?"

Will sighed and took a big drink. He chased it with some blood.

"Well, If Carla knew what you did, she'd be really pissed at you. You've both been through a lot with Elaine and all. You have a lot to deal with and I didn't want to add to that. And... it was pretty fucked up, but to be honest its the kind of fucked up thing we expect from Mircallas, really. And I know you don't remember the duel, that was part of what I did to you. But trust me, I made you pay."

Gwen chilled at Will's words. She scoured her memory and found nothing. She felt a surge of unease but then let it go. She was used to having holes in her memory and she had learned, long ago, it was better not to look at them too closely.

Will took another drink before continuing, "And... you know, my family has its own... quirks, which Carla was very much on the receiving end of...look, the blood gives us power but it also pushes us to dumb shit all the time. We both just got a little caught up in it but it all worked out. The important thing is we acknowledge it happened and try to do better next time."

"And Will told me how you saved all of my neighbors," said Abby.

"What?" asked Gwen.

"When that asshole Christoph wanted to bleed my neighbors dry and turn them into zombies you stared him down and saved their lives. One of the farmers you saved taught me to read and let me borrow books from his library, which may be what let me survive my teenage years. I really appreciate that you saved his life. That makes us even."

Gwen rubbed her face, "Okay... okay thank you."

Abby smiled. Her fangs glinted in the low light of the Dorian. Her eyes turned black, like the eyes of a shark.

"Just don't do it again."

Gwen swallowed, fighting down a wave of fear. She knew that she was a hundred years older than Abby, was one of the greatest warriors her house had ever produced, and she could kill Abby faster than she could blink. But staring into those eyes none of that seemed to matter. She knew if Abby wanted to get her, she'd find a way. There was nothing she could do.

"Okay," said Gwen.

Abby leaned forward, those dead black eyes seemed to grow, filling Gwen's vision. She had a momentary feeling of falling. Abby's eyes were an abyss, a pool of tar where there was no escape.

"Ever," said Abby.

Gwen nodded, feeling numb. Then Abby blinked and her eyes were back to normal.

"I think Elaine's going to be on in a minute. Did you want to go to the balcony?" asked Abby.

Will nodded, "Sounds good to me."

They got up and went to the balcony. Gwen sat for a minute longer by herself, wondering, for the hundredth time, how she could be over a hundred years old, a scion of house Mircalla and one of its greatest warriors and still have so little idea what she was doing.

Then she looked over and saw Carla and Lily had joined Caroline at the balcony. Carla touched Lily's back and told a joke and Lily laughed. Carla looked so happy and confident and Lily looked starstruck. Carla was finally growing into the life Gwen had given her, and Gwen decided she had to be doing something right. She got up and went to join her friends.

Gwen arrived at the railing and stood next to Carla. Lily handed her a fresh drink and she smiled and took a sip. Gwen was relieved Will and Abby went to stand on the other side of Caroline and Lily. She had enough of that drama for now and just wanted to focus on what really mattered. Carla gave her a smile and a quick peck on the cheek. And Gwen pressed into her in a quick half hug, the press of her body a comforting familiarity.

Then the lights dimmed and Elaine took to the stage. She was in plain clothes, A white blouse and brown pants. They were the clothes of a traveling musician used to the road, but they were cleaner and more finely made than anything Elaine had worn when she was human. She was carrying her guitar. It was the same guitar she had when she was human but Gwen knew she had spent a small fortune to have it cleaned, retuned and magically enhanced. Gwen had almost gagged at the cost until Elaine sweetly pointed out they had their own income from a decently sized town, and this was pocket change for them now.

Elaine gave the crowd a smile and there was a scattering of applause. Gwen could sense some unease as well. As far as she knew this was the first time one of the blooded had taken to the stage at the Dorian, and to the patrons it was another reminder of their country's new masters.

Elaine addressed the crowd, using the Painted Eyes so her voice could be heard by all, "Thank you all. It's good to be back. I've played on many stages but this one always has a special place in my heart. This song is for a very special lady in my life. Someone who gave me everything and finally helped me become who I always wished I could be."

Gwen looked at Carla and saw a small smile on her lips.

Then Elaine began to play.

It was a song about an immortal goddess and a simple woman who loved her from afar. She journeyed endlessly to be by her side, but now matter how far she traveled her love remained forever out of reach. It was a beautiful song, an original composition, and you could tell that it came from Elaine's heart, that she was baring her soul to the audience. But Gwen had heard Elaine play before, and she had always been very talented, but now that talent was on another level. She had added complex chords and melodies to the song that were impossible for a human to play, and played with a speed and precision Gwen had only heard from the most talented blooded musicians while still investing with a passion and honesty that was rare among the blooded. As Gwen listened, she realized Elaine was using the Painted Eyes. She wove the power of her blood, the seductive call of the Daughters of the Moon, into her music, making it irresistible to all that heard it. She played with the emotions of her audience as skillfully as her instrument. Gwen leaned forward, sinking into the song, and all around her everyone listening, man and woman, human and vampire, was similarly entranced.

As the last notes faded into echoes, lingering a little longer than they should, there was a moment of rapturous silence before the audience burst into an instant ovation.

Gwen looked back to Carla, who was staring down at Elaine with a huge smile on her face. There was love in her eyes and Gwen guessed a little pride at the blooded she had created. Gwen looked back down and saw that Elaine was staring back into the eyes of her sire, in a room of her worshippers, Elaine only had eyes for the one who had made her.

Carla turned to Gwen, still smiling, "Maybe everything did turn out for the best."

"Maybe," said Gwen, "I just wish it wasn't such a bumpy road."

"Tell me about it," said Carla, "should we go and congratulate the child?"

Gwen laughed, "Yes, we better give her her cookie."

"Could I come with you?" asked Lily. She was rosy cheeked and it looked very good on her.

"Sure," said Carla

"Umm, Lily, I think that's up to Will," said Gwen, "You are technically still his thrall."

"Retainer. And Will doesn't mind," said Lily, turning to her master, "do you, Will?"

Will and Abby shared a look. Will rubbed his eyes.

"Well Lily, can I get one more favor from you before I let you go for the night?" Asked Will, and held up an empty beer glass.

"Come on, I want to see Elaine too."

"You can catch up," said Will. There was an unusual amount of firmness in his voice.

Lily gave him a glare, grabbed his mug, and stalked toward the bar.

Will and Abby waited until Lily was out of earshot, then turned back to Carla and Gwen.

"Now, Carla," said Will, "I just wanted to say, you know, I'd like to think we've become friends, but Lily is my friend too and Abby's best friend from childhood..."

"...So if you do anything to hurt her, I'll tear you limb from limb," said Abby.

Fury flared in Gwen's chest, she could feel her blood burning through her body.

"You can't talk to Carla like that," she said, stepping between them and baring her fangs.

She felt Carla's hand on her shoulder, "It's okay, Gwen," she said.

At the sound of her voice, the hand on her shoulder, Gwen's rage guttered out.

"They're just looking after their friend. I expect no less," said Carla.

"And that was a little rude, honey," said Will, "Carla's your friend too."

Abby looked embarrassed, "Sorry. Ever since I was blooded I get... carried away sometimes."

Carla smiled reassuringly, "I completely understand that. And you have nothing to worry about. I promise I'll treat Lily right."

"Alright, I'll hold you to that. Thanks for understanding," said Abby.

"Of course."

"Let's go," said Gwen. She wanted to get away from Will and Abby and the not too distant past they constantly reminded her of, she wanted to leave them behind and see her new grandchilde and take pride in her debut.

"Right, have fun you two. Tell Elaine congratulations from me," said Will.

"We will," said Carla.

Gwen started walking away a little too fast and even with her longer legs Carla had to work to catch up.

"You okay?" asked Carla.

"I'm fine. I really am. I just... I've had enough Savon drama for the night."

"Sounds about right to me."

"You did handle that very well," said Gwen.

"I've been told I'm very good at diplomacy."

They made their way to the side of the stage on the first floor. Elaine was still surrounded by an adoring crowd. Congratulations were showered on her as were offers of drinks, patronage, a night together, and even marriage were laid at her feet. Elaine took it all with good grace, nodding and smiling and occasionally touching an arm or a face to show interest.

But when Elaine saw Carla she shut the crowd off entirely. She started striding toward her sire and the crowd parted before her as Elaine used a small wave of the Painted Eyes to let her admirers know to make way. Elaine was before Carla in a moment and with no hesitation embraced her for a passionate kiss. Elaine put her arms around her sire and held her tight, as if she was afraid she'd drift away.

Then Elaine broke the kiss, "So I guess you liked the song?" She said.

Carla nodded.

"You're amazing," said Carla, and they both smiled at a private joke.

Then Elaine turned to Gwen, she looked uncertain for a minute, "Did you like it?"

Gwen was confused by Elaine's uncertainty. Elaine almost never showed any doubt about anything.

"Of course, you were fantastic," said Gwen.

Elaine's doubt vanished in a smile like a full moonrise, "Thanks, grandma."

"But don't call me grandma," said Gwen

Elaine gave a rich laugh, when she stopped her bright eyes were full of mischief, "Now, how about we pick some lucky ladies to take home with us?"

Carla and Gwen shared an uneasy look. They both loved Elaine but sometimes her casual attitude towards feeding worried them. Neither of them were looking forward to dealing with the aftermath when Elaine ended up hurting someone.

"I'm all set," said Carla

"Oh come on. This is my night and I want..."

"Hi! There you are," said Lily, rushing up to them, "I was afraid I'd lost you."

Carla smiled and leaned down, "I wouldn't have left without you," and gave Lily a light kiss on the cheek. Lily's cheeks turned almost as red as her hair.

"Oh, you meant you were all set all set," said Elaine, "what about you, gra..."

"Elaine," said Gwen.

Elaine smirked.

"And..." Gwen suddenly had an idea, "...you know, I think I'm okay too. There's someone at the palace that I've been meaning to catch up with."

"Oh, that sounds fun. You sure she's around?"

"I think she'll make the effort for me."

"I'm sure she will. Alright then, since you don't need my help, just give me a minute,"

Elaine turned back to her adoring fans, surveyed the crowd carefully, weighing, and then pointed.

"You."

The crowd all turned to a tall, dark haired woman with a strong jaw and chocolate eyes.

"What was your name again?"

The woman straightened, "Jennifer."

"Did you have any plans tonight?"

There were a hundred eyes on her but she showed no fear or hesitation.

"Nothing I can't move around."

...

Gwen slipped her tongue into Sara's mouth and stroked her breast gently, thumb circling a nipple. Sara moaned as Gwen called on the Painted Eyes to make the slightest touch of her finger send thrills of exhilaration shooting across her lover's skin. Sara's hands explored Gwen's body in turn, Gwen loved the gentle touch of Sara's hand as it trailed across her torso, over her hips. Sara squeezed Gwen's rear desperately in response to the stroke of Gwen's hand across her stomach, and Gwen grunted in response. Then Gwen broke the kiss.

"I've missed you so much, mistress," said Sara. Her voice was just as breathy as Gwen remembered.

"Please, I've told you, it's just Gwen."

"Gwen," said Sara. Gwen could hear the awe in her voice.

Gwen smiled down at her, "Oh you sweet thing."

Gwen heard a moan and looked to her left. They were all back in their room at the palace and Gwen was glad she had requested a bigger bed when Elaine became part of their lives, because there was plenty of room on the bed for Carla and Lily to lie next to them. Gwen watched Carla strip Lily's panties off, they ended up tangled around her big toe, and then Carla started slowly kissing her way up Lily's leg. As Gwen and Sara watched, Carla licked the back of Lily's calf, and then the back of her knee, which made the girl moan again. Carla kissed around the side of her thigh and as she got higher her mouth trailed to Lily's front. Lily was breathing hard as Carla slowly, teasingly, moved towards the juncture of her legs and the small bud that lay in wait. As Gwen watched her childe pleasure her newest lover, she put her hand on Sara's thigh, as close to the position of Carla's mouth on Lily as she could get, and started trailing it up her leg. Sara drew in a sharp breath as she realized what Gwen was doing. As they watched, Carla kissed the crease of Lily's thigh and Lily gave a little squeak, desperate and needy. Gwen mirrored her, running a finger up the crease in Sara's thigh. She stole a glance at Sara and saw she was watching Carla and Lily as intensely as Gwen was. Sara's eyes were locked on Lily's face, watching every reaction Carla teased from her body. Sara gave her a quick look and a grin, and Gwen took that to mean they could both enjoy the show.