Daughters of the Moon Pt. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sophia nodded, "I understand. I understand your desire to be virtuous, to be merciful. Virtue and mercy are rare coin among the blooded."

Sophia's eyes went distant, "There's a popular saying among the Dracul. That mercy is for the weak. Something Vlad pronounced before he committed some atrocity or another. He didn't invent the saying, of course. I've heard it many times throughout my life, long before Vlad came to be. It's such a foolish saying. The truth is the exact opposite. Mercy isn't for the weak. It's for the strong. Only the strong can afford to risk the vulnerability of being merciful."

Carla shifted uncomfortably. She had never seen Sophia like this before.

Sophia's eyes focused on her again. "Our sorceresses are one of our most powerful weapons but are also very fragile. The Tallisians, or rather their league advisers, were very clever. They found that weak point of our army and focused on it. We've gotten some replacements from the remnants of the Dragon's army, but we are still understaffed. Without a full complement of sorceresses to run the engines the Tallisians will outgun us in the next battle."

"With Anika incapacitated, leadership of the engine brigade will fall to Diana. She is one of Anika's childer and is very powerful, very accomplished, and very ruthless. She is also politically neutral, following neither the Moonlit Path or the Secret Temple."

"Alright I but I don't see what any of this has to do with me."

"Diana will have considerable influence over how the engines are run. Our foraging parties have captured a number of young women with magical talent. Hedge witches, village wise women, a student of the academy visiting home. Diana will have the authority to turn those prisoners into revenants against their wills, make them into thralls to help run the engines."

"You can't let her do that!

"I could stop her. It would be within my right as house leader. But Diana is the most accomplished sorceress we have left and humiliating her would be dangerous. She knows I need her and if I insult her she may very well desert. Furthermore, the right to make revenants and thralls at will, regardless of their feelings, is one of the rights the Secret Temple insists on. Normally I'd be able to silence them, but as weak as we are right now they will say we can't afford to be merciful. Denying Diana and the Secret Temple the right to take thralls could spark a mutiny. It could lead to unrest in the army that our enemies could exploit. If you join the brigade, you could lobby with Diana for these women to be spared. The entire ugly situation could be avoided.

"So, if I refuse to run an engine you'll let a dozen girls be forced. The way I was. The way Siobhan..."

Sophia slammed the table. It was so shocking it was as if a gun had gone off. The woman sleeping on the couch whimpered.

Sophia looked down at the table, she had hit it so hard she had spilled her tea. She ran a finger through it, leaving a wet trail on the table's surface. Then looked back up

"What happened to Siobhan... What I did to Siobhan was a great injustice. I'm asking you to help me prevent a similar injustice."

Carla wrestled her anger under control. "I'm sorry I said that to you. It was spiteful."

Sophia nodded quickly. "Thank you."

They both looked away for a moment. Then Sophia cleared her throat.

"There is another consideration. The leader of the brigade will determine what spells are used during the next battle. There are certain spells that Anika considers unethical even though they are very... efficient. Spells of plague. Spells that rend minds and shatter souls. These are spells that don't kill their victims but leave them crippled for life, shells of their former selves. Diana would have no compunction against using such spells. I know that Isabelle will lobby to continue to apply Anika's standards to spell selection, but there's no way Diana would listen to her on her own."

"I'm just a fledgling. Why would she listen to me? About anything?"

"Because of what you did during the battle."

Carla shifted uncomfortably.

"Everyone knows your heroism..."

"It wasn't heroism, I just... Did what I had to do to save who I could."

Sophia gave her a dry smile.

"I believe that is the definition of a hero."

Carla didn't have a reply for that

"Everyone knows you saved a score of blooded and hundreds of loyal retainers with your heroism. If you were to join your voice with Isabelle, you may be able to push Diana away from her bloodier instincts."

"I can't think of any spells we could use that I'd consider ethical."

"I'm sure you and Isabelle could come up with something. I have faith in you."

Carla looked down at the table. Into the murky brown of her tea. She thought about those poor girls in the prison camp, awaiting their fate. She thought about the men she had tended during the siege of Tamlin; she worried if she was responsible for something like that, she would lose her mind, but if she refused to help Sophia it would happen anyway. She realized this was Anika's justification for the Mircalla joining the war in the first place. They were all committing an injustice that would happen no matter what, to lessen the damage as much as possible, while still benefiting from it. Idly she wondered if the world always found a way to make you compromise yourself, if it was always a choice between a bad option and a worse one

"Alright, I'll do it." said Carla

Sophia nodded looking at her with respect. "Thank you. I didn't mention this before because I knew it would not sway you, but you are doing me a great service. After the war is over anything it is in my power to grant you will be yours."

"You were right. I don't care."

A very faint smile twitched across Sophie's lips

"Is it always like this? asked Carla."

Sophia gave her a long look.

"It is, in my experience, which is longer than most. If anything, the world has gotten better as I've watched, and I take pride that at least part of it is my doing. I hope someday you can share in that pride."

"I hope so too."

...

Carla walked into the house she and her family were quartered in. The house belonged to the owner of a chain of local dry goods stores. It wasn't nearly as ostentation as Sophia's captured residence but Carla loved it. It was big, big enough to hold all of them, rambling and full of passed down furniture, it was always a little dusty, the owners had a cleaning service come in once a week rather than a dedicated cleaning staff, but she thought the dust just added to the charm. It was the kind of house she had dreamed of having with Sebastian after they launched their own successful business. Carla hesitated a moment, imagining the pictures on the wall were of her and Sebastian and their children, just for a moment, then she shook her head and walked into the kitchen.

The kitchen was the social center of the house. The pots that covered the walls were old but still shined. The sink was deep and had its own independent water line. The table was massive and made of thick wood that was sanded and given a nice light varnish, with eight chairs and room for more, for the big dinners the big family liked to have.

The lady of the house, Roisin, was at the table, drinking tea from a big mug. The family had fine porcelain teacups as nice as the one Sophia had offered her displayed in the kitchen's glass cabinet but Carla had noticed Roisin preferred a nice big earthenware mug. She liked that about her. She was a heavyset woman in her late forties. She still had a smooth face for her age but the tension of the last two nights was getting to her. Her hair was messy and unwashed and she looked worn down. But she gave Carla a bright smile as she walked in.

"Carla! You're back," she said. The smile and the cheer in her voice were incredibly false, but Carla didn't blame her. She knew there was no way to convince her it wasn't necessary

"Hi Roisin, you're up late. I think?"

Roisin nodded. I couldn't sleep. I was hoping some chamomile would relax me. Gwen... asked to use our bedroom and the guest room bed is a little small. Emmet does tend to sprawl. I think I need to get a bigger bed in there."

Carla nodded. Keeping her face carefully blank. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

"No! No, don't be. It's barely any trouble at all," said Roisin. "How was your tea with Lady Sophia?"

"It was fine."

Her voice must have been tense because Roisin stiffened, "Is everything okay?"

"To be honest, it wasn't the best news but it's personal. Nothing about the town or that concerns you."

"Okay.. alright. Did she mention when you would be leaving? Not that I mind..."

"It's alright, I know it's hard to have us in your home. But no, that's not what we talked about."

Roisin did a jerky nod and took a sip of her tea. She hesitated before speaking again.

"Elaine's upstairs," she said.

"Oh she's here? I'm a little surprised. I thought she'd be out."

"She's with Ina in her room," said Roisin, the tension cracking through her voice.

Ina was Roisin's oldest daughter. Nineteen or twenty. She was very fresh faced, very innocent and wide eyed, and very impressed with her new housemates.

"Oh, I see," said Carla; she felt a new surge of sympathy for this poor woman.

Roisin squeezed her mug, her knuckles were white. Carla actively suppressed the Oracle. She really didn't want to see Roisin's aura right now.

"She said she wanted to give her a music lesson."

Carla almost laughed at the poor metaphor. But Roisin was so scared she suppressed it. She didn't want to upset her even more.

"I'll.... Go check on them for you. Make sure everything's okay."

Rosin gave her a sharp look. Carla met her gaze, trying to convey that she didn't have anything to worry about, that she'd make sure her daughter was safe

Maybe it worked, because Roisin relaxed a little, "Thank you."

Carla nodded and left, at the door she turned back

"It's going to be fine. Thank you for having us in your home. I'm sure we'll be out of your hair soon."

Roisin nodded and sipped her tea.

Carla made her way up the stairs, past a painting of a hunting scene and a Holy Scale of the Father

When Carla got to Ina's room and knocked on the door. After a minute it opened and Elaine stood in the doorway

"What's up?"

Behind her Ina was sitting in the bed, holding Elaine's guitar.

"Wait, you're actually giving her music lessons?"

"Of, course I am. Why, what did you think we were doing?"

Carla gave Elaine a long look, Elaine slowly broke into a shit eating grin

"I mean there's time for everything. The night is young and I didn't have any other plans."

"Just... go easy. Roisin's trying to set her up with a lawyer's son. Don't ruin men for her entirely."

"I feel like that's more men's fault than mine," said Elaine.

"I know it is. I just feel bad for Roisin. I don't want to completely ruin her life."

"I feel bad for her too. Her husband's a fat drunk."

"He's only drunk because we're here."

Elaine sighed, "Alright, alright. You and your soft heart for put upon moms. I'll be nice."

"Do you have a restorer? I have an extra if you need it."

"No, I'm good. Besides, you should save it for yourself."

Carla was about to ask what Elaine meant when hit her. It was feeding night, and, even worse, they had been so cramped on the boat no one had been fooling around. That's why Gwen had commandeered the bedroom. But after talking to Sophia, feeding was the absolute last thing she wanted to do right now. She felt a surge of anxiety when she realized she was going to let her family down, that Lily had been looking forward to being fed on all day and Gwen had been fantasizing about Carla's fangs piercing her body, and she just wanted to curl up in her bedroll with a bottle of warm blood and read stupid book.

"Fuck," said Carla

"That is not the reaction I expected."

"No it's..." Carla sighed. "My tea with Sophia was stressful..."

"Why am I not surprised."

"...and I'm not really in the mood."

"I'm sure they can get you in the mood. Just have Lily give you a massage."

Carla felt pins and needles dance across her back and forehead.

"That does sound nice."

"Of course it does."

"Wait, where's Siobhan?" They were all very careful with Siobhan. They tried not to feed when she was around.

"I suggested she go spend some time with the other daughters. They're probably sparring and feeling sorry for themselves."

"Elaine!"

"What?"

"Have a little sympathy. She's going through a lot."

"God, trust me, I know. She was even worse while you were sleeping. She just needs to get laid."

Carla rubbed her eyes, "Oh my god, Elaine."

"Why are you mad? I'm right."

Elaine was still grinning and Carla had to grin back. She was just so incorrigible it was hard to stay mad at her. And her signature brand of wit was making Carla feel better.

"Alright you, have fun, but not too much fun, with the innocent young girl."

"I will be the soul of moderation. Have fun, lots of fun, with your formerly innocent young girl."

Carla licked her lips. She felt her fangs come out the tiniest bit. Elaine must have seen it because she winked. Carla gave her a quick kiss before she closed the door.

Carla went into the master bedroom to find Gwen sprawled on the bed, reading an adventure novel. Sarah was in a small chair, embroidering a skirt that Carla guessed was Siobhan's. And Lily was sitting at the small desk in the corner, reading glasses on, working on their supply list. Tomorrow was the day you could submit requests to logistics for food and blood and Lily was getting the household's order ready. Since she knew what to look for, the signs of everyone's anticipation was obvious. Lily ran a hand over her shirt, across her chest, and Gwen kept licking her lips. She looked at Sarah, who gave her glance and a nervous smile, and squeezed her thighs together. She called on the Oracle and everyone's aura was a mix of purple and red, excitement and desire. her family had been waiting for her to get back so that the fun could start and the thought of disappointing them made her stomach lurch

It must have shown on her face because when Gwen looked up from her book she looked concerned

"Are you okay?"

Carla rubbed her temples. She didn't actually get headaches anymore but it was an ingrained habit whenever she was stressed. "No."

"What happened?" asked Lily

Carla went to the bed and sat down. Gwen pulled her into a hug. After a few moments later Lily sat behind her and started rubbing her shoulders. Carla took a minute to bask in the love of the women surrounding her, then she sighed and pulled away from Gwen

"Sophia wants me to run one of the Necros engines."

"What? That's crazy! You're just a fledgling," said Gwen

"I know! It's political."

Carla quickly explained what Sophia had told her. About Diana.The captured girls and the Secret Temple, the lethal spells, and what she could do to make it better

"That's awful, I'm so sorry," said Lily

"Would they really turn girls into revenants against their will?" asked Lily. "I really don't understand whether that's allowed or not. It seems really inconsistent."

"It's sort of like... humans hitting their kids. When I turned it was just how things were done, fifty years ago no one would have batted an eye about it, but it's gradually fallen out of favor in the last century. Especially in the last ten years. It's another thing the distillers have changed. The traditionalists still cling to it, take it as a point of pride even. And then there are... special circumstances

"Like me," said Carla.

"Right."

"Do you think.." said Lily, she hesitated, "...do you think Sophia made you turn Carla as a way to... pander to the Temple? Like a symbolic gesture?"

They all paused; it sounded horribly plausible to Carla.

"It wasn't the only reason but... it might have been one of them," said Gwen.

"Fuck," said Carla, "I dont want to think about that. But if I can save those girls. Give them the choice I never had..."

Gwen gave her hand a squeeze

"I dont know, I guess its good I'll be sparing, fuck... sparing Siobhan's clan, her fucking cousins from getting their souls ripped out, but i dont know how much better it is if I..." she blew out a breath. "...burn them alive or melt their bones."

Gwen was quiet for a minute. "Do you have to kill them?"

Carla gave Gwen a skeptical look, "That is sort of the point of a war, Gwen."

"No it isn't."

"What?"

"That's a mistake a lot of people make. You don't win a war by killing your enemies, you win a war by getting them to stop fighting. It doesn't matter how. When I attacked Lily's village. I only killed one person. I fought my way through the whole army without unsheathing my sword, because I knew only their leader needed to die. Once he was gone everyone else gave up."

All of a sudden Carla knew what to do. She could fight in the battle, do what Sophia needed her to, and not hurt a single person herself. It was so simple, so obvious she wondered why Anika had never thought of it. Maybe Anika fell for the same trap she had, assuming fighting in a war meant you had to kill. There were still a lot of details she'd need to work out, but she was certain she and Isaballe could figure it out. Her anxiety vanished under a wave of relief. She knew many people were going to die, but if her idea worked she could actually save the people she had to fight, maybe even thousands of them, thousands who would die if she had refused Sophia's request.

"Gwen, you're a fucking genius."

"Oh, I wouldn't say that," said Gwen, but she looked very pleased

"No I mean it, you've given me a way through."

Gwen's aura blazed up. She saw her sires anxiety and concern for her fading and a beautiful mix of blue, red and violet was kindling. Seeing the deep red of Gwen's desire for her sent desire shooting through her as well, her stomach roiled with need. She looked at Lily and she couldn't see her aura, but she could see Lily's nipples through her thin dress. Carla smelled her perfume. It was Carla's favorite. They couldn't get more of it on campaign so she only put it on for feeding night.

The subtle floral scent of the perfume sent Carla's arousal to a new level. Her stomach roiled with heat and tension. She leaned forward and kissed Gwen, who opened her lips to receive her. Her lips were soft and cool, familiar territory that Carla never got tired of visiting. Carla kissed her sire's cheek, licked her earlobe, then whispered in her ear,

"You are a genius and it's turning me on."

Gwen jumped then laughed. "You're ridiculous," she said.

Carla had moved to kissing her neck, "Mmm hmmm, that's what you do to me."

Carla pulled Gwen's shirt off her shoulder and began kissing her way over the pale, glistening skin. Gwen was in simple loose pajamas. The kind that were easy to take off quickly, as she kissed her shoulder her hand snaked under the pajama top and rubbed Gwen's stomach gently for a second, then she moved upward to cup Gwen's breast. Gwen arched and drew in a sharp breath that Carla kneaded her. Carla loved Gwen's breasts. They were large and heavy and overflowed her hand. With nice big nipples that Carla loved to harden with her touch. She did that now, stroking Gwen gently and feeling her nipple stiffen.

Gwen pushed her away gently, "Hold on, let me just..."

Gwen got naked with blinding speed, her pajama top flung away and her bottoms kicked off so hard they hit the wall. Carla admired her love's body, her broad powerful torso, heavy breasts, her strong legs, Carla leaned down to kiss this beautiful creature as she felt Lily begin working on the buttons on the back of her dress. Carla ran her hands down Gwen's body, across her breasts, circling her belly, she teased her with a finger trailed through her hair and over her slit, which was already slick with arousal, and felt Gwen jump. As Carla teased her, Lily finished unbuttoning her dress and her bindings. Carla's dress fell away and onto Gwen like a shed skin, but Gwen quickly pulled it out from between them. Carla grabbed her hair and pressed her lips into Gwen's. Their lips moved over each other as their bodies moved together. Her eyes were closed but she heard Lily's excited breathing behind her and the rustle of cloth as she began to work on her own clothes. There was movement behind them and Sarah slid between them. Her body felt so warm against Carla. The soft curves of the girl's body filled with blood and life that sent her stomach into a lurch. She and Gwen moved apart so Sarah could slide between them. Sarah gently pulled Carla to her and Carla's mouth found the servant's breast. It was as big as Gwen's, large and pillowy, but full of gentle, pulsing heat. Carla started to suck on Sarah's nipple and she heard a small satisfied sound in response.