Dawn Forever

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'm not following you. Janine could ask to be transformed at anytime. It's her right as a donor. And there wouldn't be anything you could do to stop her." He had no preconceived notions about Janine's humanity. It wasn't her heartbeat or her scent or any of the other things about her that made her human that he cared about. It was her. Who she was that drew him in like a moth to the flame.

"I know that. But, I can't risk her life like that. I can't ask her to make that kind of a decision. And I can't use my feelings for her as a reason for her to do it. She could die. Or ultimately end up hating me forever. And as you damn well know, forever is a very long time." Patrick rose to his feet and began diligently working on the stone with his chisel.

Bryce joined in, kneeling beside Patrick to help prepare the last remaining spaces. "You feel damned if you do and damned if you don't."

"Yeah." Patrick stopped working long enough to gauge Bryce's reaction. To see if his comments sank in. "Now, do you get it?"

"I get it," Bryce admitted. "But, I don't agree with you. Patrick, you and I will always have our differences. Hell, we always have. But, on this one, I know I'm right. You need to step back and give her some credit. Stop using her humanity as an excuse. You're terrified of her. Not because she's human, but because you don't want to be. You want a reason not to love her. You want something air tight that she can't possibly argue her way out of. You're putting her in an impossible situation to save your own skin.

"Brother, that's not right. And it's selfish. Janine knows what she wants. And when the time is right, she'll do it, whether you're in the picture or not. You talk about how long forever is. Maybe, you should think about that as well, "

Patrick gritted his teeth and pulled on the ends of his hair. He paced back and forth across the room. Every word Bryce said was the absolute truth. He knew he was punishing Janine in the worst way possible for something that wasn't her fault. "I know I'm a selfish prick. I'm trying to protect her. But, all I seem to manage to do is hurt her. I can't. I just can't do it anymore."

Bryce crossed his arms over his chest and stood, blocking Patrick's path. "Then I still have a chance."

Patrick stared at the floor, his shoulders sagging defeat. "Yeah, I guess you do." He couldn't understand why Bryce was so certain Janine would take the risk and gamble with her precious life. Patrick hadn't been given a choice. He was still a teenager when it happened. And his future was stolen away from him. To this day he was virtually unchanged, still deceptively young beneath the wear and tear of time in his hazel eyes, barely able to pass for eighteen, maybe twenty, on a rare occasion. He was stuck exactly as he was on the day he died nearly a century ago. He aged. Perhaps, a day or two for every decade that passed. Frozen between manhood and boyhood in a teenager's awkward body.

Janine was the only woman who could really look past the façade of his youth and see the man trapped behind his eyes. When they first met, the flirtation was fun, nothing but a game. After he'd been captured and tortured by the rogues, forced by starvation to kill. A part of him was changed forever. How fair was it that he could offer Janine the one thing he hadn't thought to give her?

After his escape, he returned to The Sons and faced trial for taking a life. Although he was pardoned, he carried the guilt. He tried his best to chase Janine away. He was damaged-goods and there was every risk that he could go rogue and kill again. Janine didn't give up, pursuing him and professing her faith in him. She held fast, patiently waiting for him to recover. In time, Patrick began to believe in himself again, and in the love that she had for him.

Patrick knew that Janine hadn't given up on him. Even though the words left her lips she still held a small glimmer of hope in her heart. His refusal to say the words was crushing her soul. And eventually, her hope would die. It seemed no matter what he did, she was destined to suffer. If he admitted how he felt, he could hold on to her for a while longer. If he offered her his blood, they would be bound together as soul mates. But, he would have to turn her. He wouldn't be able to let her go. And if he did nothing, let things ride out on their course, she would eventually move on and find another.

Could he really live with the loss? Stand by and watch her find love in the arms of another? Give up and hand her over to Bryce? No, as painful as it was to admit, he couldn't. He had to step beyond his fear and claim the heart that beat for him. He squared his shoulders and leveled his gaze at Bryce. "You might have a chance with her. But, don't count me out of the running yet. I'm going to do everything in my power to win her back."

Bryce met Patrick's determined stare. He understood his opponent better now. Found his weakness. Did he have the guts to exploit it? To do so would be to play dirty. He wanted Janine to choose him, fair and square. If he were a nobler man, he'd take himself out of the picture completely. Give her time and wait for her to come to him. But, he wasn't noble and he wasn't feeling overly generous towards Patrick at the moment. If Patrick was willing to fight it out, so be it. "May the best man win."

Patrick nodded. "There has to be one term we must agree to." He took a breath at the curious lift of Bryce's brow. "Janine is a gentle and fragile soul. We cannot allow this to tear her in two. She doesn't deserve that. Whichever one of us wins her heart wins it forever. The loser steps out of the way like a real man."

"Agreed." Bryce accepted Patrick's outstretched hand and sealed the pact with a firm shake. Bryce had no intentions of losing and if she did give him her heart, he would keep it forever. He could give her what Patrick couldn't. He could love her. And if she chose him, he'd make sure she knew it. He'd tell her everyday. If he won and earned the right to call her his, he would transform her. Without reservation, without doubt, without fear, when she was ready, he'd give her everything.

Alex hung back, staying around the corner and out of sight. The two men were discussing her best friend. Negotiating and coming to terms, as if it was nothing more than a contest and Janine, the prize. How could Patrick consent to this? And how could Bryce accept? Janine's happiness wasn't up for negotiation. This was her life and not some silly competition between two egotistical, headstrong, and stubborn males.

Given the nature of their conversation, Alex had her doubts if either one of them was good enough for her best friend. At one time, she thought Patrick was. He protected Janine fiercely. Alex still shivered when she thought about how lethal Patrick was with a blade. She was new to this world and Janine offered her the one thing she couldn't resist, blood. When Patrick saw them, he'd assumed the worst, that she had attacked Janine. Pinned to a wall, Alex looked into his eyes blazing with fury, a dagger against her throat poised and ready to kill her in Janine's defense.

Alex lived up to the reputation of her red hair. Anger boiling over, she stomped into the rec room, prepared to give them an earful and kick both of their asses. "Patrick! How could you do it?" I thought you loved her?" Her brown eyes burned with outrage. She turned to Bryce and stood toe-to-toe with him, jamming her index finger into his chest. "And you, just who do you think you are to insert yourself between them? Exactly what are you trying to prove?"

Bryce held up his hands in surrender and inched back, knowing better than to say a word. Alex was furious. Obviously, she'd only overheard half of their conversation. And he had no way of convincing her of his true intentions.

Patrick circled around Alex, bringing himself into her field of vision. "Alex it isn't what you think." He gripped onto her shoulders and steered her wrath away from Bryce. "I do love her. And I'm going to fight for her." He smiled in relief. The words weren't really so painful to say. Admitting it didn't hurt a bit. In fact, he felt lighter, more resolved in his goals to win her back.

Alex interrupted Patrick before he could say anything else. She was starting to calm down, the worst of her temper fading. "Then why don't you tell her? Stop all this bullshit and go get her. Bring her back."

Alex didn't say a word to stop Janine. She thought Janine would only be gone a night or two at max. Her hope was that Janine would get it out of her system and come home, but she didn't. Alex knew what was out there. She'd seen the damage rogues could inflict, knew the terror first hand. Janine wasn't safe on her own.

"Alex," Patrick said, keeping his voice calm and low. He understood how Alex felt. The fierce desire to protect her best friend. "She left. I didn't. If she wants a new life, that's her choice. There's nothing I can do about it."

Patrick knew how much Alex had suffered. Janine had been at her side, suffering along with her through it all. First, rediscovering the love she thought was lost and gone forever, and then losing him in the heat of the battle. When Alex had been transformed, their friendship had been strained. But, their caring had won out in the end. Janine encouraged Alex, teaching her to live again, pushing her, and challenging her, supporting her when she dared to love again.

"It's not going to be easy. But, you have to try. I can't lose her." Alex grabbed Patrick's hands, holding them tightly in hers. She was terrified that Janine would feel torn between the two men. And if it came down to it she'd leave, remove herself from the situation, rather than hurt either one of them.

"I'll give it my best shot." He hugged Alex loosely, shooting a meaningful glare over her shoulder at Bryce.

Bryce leaned against the mantle. He felt like a shit heel. Alex was all but begging Patrick to fight for Janine. Where did that leave him? If Janine chose him over Patrick, would Alex ever accept it? Did she have enough sway over Janine to influence her decision?

Alex broke the contact and walked over to Bryce. "Bryce I'm sorry. I think you're a wonderful guy and any woman would be lucky to have you." She shook her head and pointed her thumb over her shoulder at Patrick. "But, Janine and Patrick, they belong together."

Bryce jutted out his chin, letting the sting of her words roll off his bruised ego. "Maybe, they don't. What if she chooses me? What will you do then?"

"I'm in this for her. Not for you or for Patrick. If she chooses you, I'll respect it. If she chooses Patrick, I'll respect it. And if she doesn't choose either of you, I'll respect that too. The only thing I really want is for her to be happy and safe."

"I can give her both of those things," Bryce said.

"I know you can." Alex stepped back, drawing both of the men into her line of sight. "I want you both to know that I won't influence her in any way." Alex scoffed, "Not that I could if I tried. Janine is her own person. Her decisions are hers alone. Just don't let this little agreement of yours get out of hand. I will not see her hurt by either one of you." She turned on her heel and stormed out of the room.

Chapter 7

Keene made his purchases and ducked into the changing room. He slathered the coconut-scented oil over his body covering every inch of his skin in the slick substance. Vampires found the smell of human food repulsive. The scent might be potent enough to cover his trail and confuse the vampires. He changed quickly, donning the jeans and long sleeved button down shirt, rolling the cuffs to his elbow. The day was hot, in the upper nineties, and he had to blend in with the crowds. But, he needed to cover the mark that trailed down his right bicep to his elbow. The mark that let other vampires know whom his master was.

He had no ID and little cash. Leaving any mode of public transportation out of the question. He crept through the loading docks on the far side of the wide arcing beach, looking to hitch a ride. The air was heavy with the stench of diesel. Engines belched out clouds of pungent, thick, black smoke.

He overheard a driver, bullshitting with one of his buddies while he waited for the dock-workers to finish loading the back of his semi trailer, tell the man that he was working his way on a long haul stretch from the west coast to the mid west. In a week, he planned to be home screwing his redheaded, spitfire wife, and eating fried chicken with his two daughters. Keene's eyes snapped to attention when the man mentioned exactly where home was.

A week was too long. Roark would be on hot on his trail long before then. But, out of lack of other options, he took what he could get. As the last fork truck pulled out, he silently crept into the back and hid amongst the narrow spaces between the crates. The smell of diesel fuel would help cover his trail. Keene was running for his life. And he was far from feeling secure or being safe.

Roark lifted his dark lenses, squinting against the blinding array of color from the sun's rays. Keene had been gone far too long to still be searching for a drink stand. He sent out a wave of psychic energy summoning the man. But, his call went unanswered returned with nothing but blank emptiness.

O'Sullivan glanced up from his dinner and licked his lips. Gently, he stroked the soft blonde curls with his fingers. She truly was delicious. Roark chose his meals well. He studied the hardened press of his guest's mouth with great curiosity. He had no particular animosity against the man. In fact, he had no emotions about the man one way or another. The Rogue Master was a small time player and posed no real threat. Yet. Obviously, he couldn't control his own people let alone attempt some kind of a power play. He tipped his head, suckling the blonde's neck to close the wound. To a human it would appear that the girl and he were in the midst of a passionate tryst. "Trouble?"

Roark was going to kill Keene when he got his hands on him. If for no other reason than he'd made him look weak in front of O'Sullivan. He lowered his glasses over his eyes and turned to face the Rogue Master with a smile. "Nothing I can't handle."

Surely, Keene wasn't stupid enough to try to escape. The man had tried it many times over the years. But, each attempt resulted in a more severe punishment. Eventually, Keene had given up trying, or so he thought. The Rogue Master mussed that if Keene had been biding his time, plotting another attempt to gain his freedom, he would kill his second slowly and show his minions what the true price for disobedience was.

******

Janine walked her bike up the sidewalk, clutching the vase of flowers in one hand and the handlebars in the other. Marveling at the beauty of the afternoon. The concrete beneath her feet was dappled with spots of light and shade as the sun filtered through the trees. The air was fresh and clean, still sweet with the essence of the last of the spring blooms. The smoky aroma backyard barbecues and summertime sweat drifted across the neatly groomed lawns. Out of all the different seasons and times of day, springtime and late afternoon, the hazy hours between noon and sundown, were her favorite. Her heart was light and happy, for the first time in weeks she felt light and carefree.

A gentle breeze stirred the hairs on the back of her neck. She caught a flash of movement out of the corner of her eye and jumped, startled as Patrick came up behind her and fell into a leisurely gait to match her pace. No matter how many years she spent around vampires, she'd never get used to how fast they could move. "You scared the shit out of me." Janine blushed, scrambling to keep her hold on the bike and her flowers.

"Here, let me," Patrick said, scowling at the white buds and lavender blossoms. He slid the handlebars out of her grip and pushed the bike. The gears made a steady, soft tick, tick, tick in time with his steps. "Nice flowers."

"Thanks," Janine muttered softly, slightly embarrassed. She hadn't meant for Patrick to see the flowers. Luckily, she had Bryce's card tucked away in her hip pocket and he had no idea who they were from. She sure as hell wasn't about to tell him. "They were a gift."

"Janine, I thought we could talk for a few minutes?" Patrick clenched the handlebars in his fists to keep from smashing the vase and stomping the flowers to bits on the sidewalk in a fit of rage. Bryce was good, better than he gave the man credit for. And much to Patrick's regret, he hadn't thought of sending her flowers...ever.

"I'm kind of busy right now." Janine nibbled nervously at her bottom lip. She couldn't tell him that she had plans to see Bryce tonight. It might hurt his feelings and she wasn't sure how he'd react. "I'm meeting a friend later on tonight."

"A friend? Could it be the same friend that sent you the flowers?" Patrick was pushing it and he knew it. But, he wanted to see what she would say and how much she'd tell him.

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes," Janine huffed. Patrick was a master at getting under her skin. He knew exactly how to push her buttons.

"Those aren't friend flowers," Patrick said softly. He guided the bike up the stairs and parked it on the front porch. He held the screen door open while Janine balanced the vase and unlocked the front door with her key.

"That's what you think." She stood to the side and let him pass. Of course, Patrick was right and the flowers Bryce had sent her were more than 'friend flowers'. Irritated that she'd let Patrick get a rise out of her, she didn't bother telling him why she had plans with Bryce. It truly was not any of his business. Tonight, she had every intention of letting Bryce down gently.

Janine sat the flowers down on the middle of the dining room table and rearranged the fragile blooms with gentle fingertips before she found the courage to turn and face him. Her heart ached. She longed to leap into his arms and tell him that she still loved him and always would. Her body yearned to feel his touch. She couldn't do it. At the last minute her courage failed and she spun on her heel, gripping the back of a dining room chair for support.

Patrick sensed the turmoil in Janine's mind. He came up behind her and slid an arm around her waist pulling her close against his chest. "Tell me I haven't lost you for good." He pressed his mouth to the gentle curve of her neck and nuzzled the soft skin with his lips.

Janine swooned, resting the back of her head against his chest. This was right. She belonged in his arms. "I... I don't know," she breathed. Closing her eyes she leaned into him, her knees weak and wobbly. "I'm not over you." A soft moan escaped her throat as he ran his fingers along her chin, gently turning her head and guiding her mouth closer to his.

Patrick took his time, savoring the feel of her body locked tightly against his in an embrace. She was in his arms. Her heart pounded and her skin flushed a radiant pink, responding to the contact of their bodies. "I don't want you to get over me," he said softly. He claimed her mouth, pressing his lips against hers, gently, slowly, teasing and tempting her until her lips parted for him and he slid his tongue in. Turning her by the shoulders, never breaking the kiss, he guided her into him.

The heat of his kiss seared through flesh and bone, straight to her heart. She held on for dear life, grasping at his shoulders and pulling him closer. His mouth moved urgently against hers. His tongue probed with demanding and hands skated across her the small of her back and grabbed onto her derriere pulling her so close that not even a molecule of oxygen could squeeze between them.

Patrick ended the kiss, still holding Janine in his arms and resting his forehead against hers. Her lashes fluttered over his cheeks as she opened her eyes to stare up at him "I'll never be over you. Never." He pressed a gentle kiss to the end of her nose and released her from his embrace. "I'd better let you get ready."

1...34567...20