Dawn's Never Ending Glow

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She leaned against Chance, nuzzling into the crook of his arm as she held the new mug in her hand. Janine had given her the mug for a birthday gift as a reminder to embrace the new and let go of the past. She took her best friend's advice and went out on a limb. Alex hadn't regretted taking that leap of faith. It led her into Chance's arms.

"Addiction is a terrible thing," Chance teased, lightly planting a kiss on the top of Alex's chin length crimson waves. Smiling, he stared into her chocolate brown eye. "Are you finally giving it up?" he asked fingering the mug.

"Yeah, Anna needs it more than I do." Alex set the mug down on the gleaming, stainless steel, countertop and wrapped her arms around Chance's waist, pulling him close for a hug. "Please, don't let Roark hurt her."

Chance returned her embrace reassuringly. "We won't." He was an apprentice warrior. Anna was his friend and keeping her safe was his duty. One he didn't take lightly. He had been working very hard with John Mark, his mentor and friend, everyday in the gym, preparing and honing his skills.

"Hi mom," Chance said, glancing over his shoulder when he heard footsteps and bags rattling behind him. "What's with all the food?" He sniffed the air, pushing back a wave of nausea at the stench of rotting vegetables and decaying meat wafting from the plastic bags. As much as he craved it, he couldn't stomach the scent of human food. His dinner was fresher, running on four legs through the woods.

Candace and Will set down their bags down on the counter, pushing them to the side to make room for Dane and Chris's burden. "It's for Anna." Chris explained as she came into the kitchen, lugging an armful of groceries. Candace began unloading the bags and finding room on the shelves and in the fridge for the food.

Will eyed his son as he picked up the yellow bag of M&M's. The bag had to be the largest one the store carried. "Chance, you want some?"

Chance scoffed. He wouldn't have eaten those before he was transformed. There were enough carbohydrates and calories in that bag to supply a small country for a week. The damned bag was so large that it had a handle. "Anna is going to eat all those?" She'd weigh five hundred pounds if she did. "I guess jeans always come in bigger sizes."

Chris snatched the bag from Will's hand. "Stop it you two. It's comfort food." She might have bought a little too much. But, she knew her best friend. And if a bag of peanut M&Ms would ease her even the slightest, Anna could eat herself into oblivion. No doubt, John Mark had a workout routine designed to help her lose whatever pounds she might pack on during her stay. She stuffed the bag into the cabinet and slammed it shut. "You two remember comfort food don't you?"

Will snorted and raised a brow at Chance. "Beer?" He grinned when both Chance and Dane grunted in agreement.

"Why don't you guys get lost? Go out on patrol or something," Candace said, pushing Will and Chance out of the kitchen. Anna didn't need a crowd around her and she certainly didn't need Chance's judgmental stare when she dove into the bag of candy. Candace smiled, her men weren't being judgmental, they were jealous of Anna. Eating was one of the many things vampires missed the most about their humanity. As far as she was concerned, Anna could eat the whole bag. She was only sorry that she couldn't join her. She'd kill for an M&M, to bite through a hard candy shell and suck on the chocolate as it melted in her mouth. Variety was something her diet sorely lacked. She sighed as she crumpled up the empty plastic bags and tossed them into the recycling bin. "Leave the kitchen to the womenfolk."

Chris raised her eyebrows at Alex and snickered. Womenfolk? Who was Candace kidding? Not a one of them had touched a pot or a pain in months. Anna did the cooking when she visited. The kitchen and the dining room were not used for eating. They converged around it and talked. Womenfolk ha!

Alex shrugged and dug a spoon out of the drawer for Anna's coffee. She didn't cook much when she could eat. Candace was the domesticated one. Maybe. Off hand, she wondered if Anna would be hungry when she arrived. Probably not. Alex had first hand knowledge of how it felt to have a Rogue Master roaming around in her head. And nothing killed an appetite quite like having your life in danger. Settling for a bowl, she opened the bag of M&Ms and poured them out of the bag.

Chris picked up a red M&M and pushed the oval shape around in her palm. What she wouldn't give for one bite. There was an easy solution to Anna's problem. Not that anyone had stopped to consider it or if they had, dared to mention it. Turn her.

Chapter 12

Marcus, Sam, and Bryce walked through the dilapidated neighborhoods. Some of the buildings Marcus remembered from his childhood were missing, already torn down and vacant plots of grass left behind in their place. The others were empty and boarded up, covered with graffiti and littered with debris. The missing buildings reminded Bryce of gaps in a mouth full of jagged, decaying teeth. Roark, if he really purchased the land, owned almost all of the old downtown area.

Marcus stood in front of a billboard announcing the construction of a new shopping mall. The lot was filled with building materials and machinery. They stood out like bright yellow sentinels in the darkness. He jammed his hands deep into his pockets and stared. No matter how much the lot changed. It would always remain the same in his memory. The old abandoned hotel. Hell on earth for him and so many others. He'd never forget.

"Hey, you ok?" Sam asked. She jotted the name of the construction firm down in her pocket notebook. "I'll give them a call tomorrow." She looped her arm through Marcus's, hoping to distract him. "Tomorrow, I'll take a trip down here and see what the workers know about their employer." She slid the neckline of her blouse down lower and batted her eyes. "You'll be surprised what a little feminine persuasion can accomplish."

Marcus scoffed and slid her blouse back into place. "You just want to be around a bunch of sweaty roughnecks."

She stood on her tiptoes and brushed his lips lightly with hers. "No, just one roughneck."

Bryce came up beside them, breaking up the tender moment. If he wasn't getting any, neither were they. "Come on you two. I'm hungry." He spotted an alley cat darting across the abandoned street. "Hey, dinner is served!" he shouted, giving chase to the cat.

"EEW!" Sam shuddered. Bryce could eat all the cats he wanted. She wasn't joining in. "I think I just lost my appetite."

"Now come on, alley cat is a fine meal," Marcus teased. "Let's stop by the zoo. I want to check out the lion exhibit. That's more my style." He was hungry, but agreed with Sam. Alley cats were at the bottom of his list.

Sam nudged Marcus playfully glad that he'd suddenly snapped out of his mood. "You'd better stick to the petting zoo." She could go for a snack. But, all cats were the same to her. It was just a matter of size. She was going to check out the antelope pen. Herbivores were her favorite.

********

Anna brushed Toby away as he opened the door of the SUV and offered his hand to help her out. The sugar and caffeine was kicking in full force. She was wired and full of nervous energy. A part of her was glad to be away from the city and back in the familiar setting of the compound surrounded by her friends. She didn't wait for Toby to fall in step beside her. She knew the way and walking would do her some good after the long ride.

After going to the bathroom and tidying up Anna wound her way through to the kitchen following the alluring aroma of coffee. "Hi guys." She pretended like nothing was bothering her, keeping things light and nonchalant.

"Hi." Chris said, giving Anna a hug. She wrinkled her nose, Anna didn't smell right. "Are you ok?" she asked cautiously eying her best friend.

"Never better." Anna wiggled out of Chris's arms and walked over to the pot. She smiled, seeing Alex's new mug sitting on the counter. "That's your birthday mug."

"No," Alex corrected. "I'm off the mug. Now it's yours."

"Good for you," Anna commended. "Thanks for the mug." She steadied the pot in her grip and poured her coffee, wincing when some of the hot liquid splashed onto her skin. "Too much sugar," she jested, palming the mug. Without giving the coffee time to cool, she downed the whole mug and poured another. "Perfect." She ignored the stares of her friends as she walked to the table and had a seat.

Chris sat down beside her. She didn't mean to press Anna. But, she was worried about her best friend. Anna shook like a leaf on a tree. Trembling from the sugar and caffeine surging through her system. The skin around her eyes was dark and hollow. The expression on her face, tense and haunted looking. "Anna do you want to talk about it?"

Anna shook her head and forced herself to sip from the mug instead of guzzling it down in one gulp. She couldn't dredge up the awful memories again. "No, not really. I'm fine." She took another drink, allowing the warmth to soothe her frazzled nerves.

"Anna," Toby said entering the kitchen. "The Shaman wants to see you now." Toby glanced away from the hopeful look in her eyes. Odds weren't in her favor. According to the Shaman, time, absence, or death were the only sure ways to break the bond.

With a sigh, Anna said goodbye to her friends and grabbed her mug, following Toby through the maze of hallways. Her mind was racing as fast as her heart. Could Doc really help her? She hoped so. She didn't care what it took. She wanted to be free. Fueled with hope, she wound her fingers through Toby's, giving his a tight squeeze.

The Shaman looked up from his meditations as Toby and Anna entered his quarters. He was older and more powerful than most of his brothers. One of the Great Father's followers before the time of the vampires began. "Anna, please have a seat." He motioned to a place on the braded rug beside him." He took the white plume in his hand and wafted tendrils of pungent smoke over her head as he began to chant a purification ritual.

She glanced uneasily around his room. The room was a mix of old and new. A large plasma screen TV sat on a stand in the corner. Although he had lamps, a mixture of multicolored candles and a small fire burned in the hearth, providing the room with dim light. Shelves filled with bottles and jars lined every bit of open wall space. Scrolls and parchments littered the floor while the screen of a laptop flickered in the corner of an ancient, battered wooden desk.

Anna took a deep breath, forcing her body to relax. The pungent, earthy smelling smoke rolled over her head and down her shoulders. Closing her eyes, she listened to the deep voice of the Shaman. His skin was deep tan and wrinkled with time and wisdom. His hair was pulled back into a tight long braid of black threaded through with silver. His eyes, deep brown, almost black, glimmered with the knowledge of things unseen.

After the purification ritual Doc placed his fingers to Anna's temple and drew close, inhaling her scent. "Anna, I need a sample of your blood." Her scent was off, but he could only confirm his suspicions one way. He needed to taste her.

"Ok." Anna held out her arm and pulled up her sleeve. She jerked back in surprise when he barred his fangs and began to lower his mouth to her wrist. "Wait a minute." She thought when he was asking for a sample, he meant that he was going to use a needle and collect it in a glass tube, like the doctor's office did.

"Anna, I have to taste a few drops. I want to see if the rogue has marked you or not. I won't take much, just a sample." He looked deep into her eyes seeing the fear welling in the pale orbs of blue. "It won't hurt."

"Can you at least tell me your name first?" Anna sputtered, reluctant to submit to the invasion. She wasn't sure if she really wanted to know if her blood was tainted. Defensively, she clutched her wrist in her fingers.

"Peshewa, it means Wild Cat. I was given the name as a youth. I was wild and impetuous, fearless." His eyes gleamed as he remembered the hunt. "A great cat was endangering our village and I joined the men on the hunt. The cat attacked our leader, the razor sharp claws ripping through his flesh. I jumped on the cat, ramming my spear through his heart, saving our chief. The cat's will to live was so great that moments before it drew its last breath, it was said that part of his spirit leapt out of his body and into my soul. He gave me his great strength and wisdom. After the hunt, I became a shaman using his wisdom to help my people. Years later, I became a Son, using his strength to help all peoples."

Anna shuddered, the fear welling in her mind. "That's a nice story. I guess," she said meekly. She held her arm close to her body, still unsure.

Toby rested a hand on Anna's shoulder and reclined her body against his chest. "I'm here with you. It will be ok," He soothed, running his hands through her hair.

His hands had a strong calming effect on Anna's mind, stilling her thoughts and quelling her fears. Slowly she extended her arm and turned her face into Toby's chest. She felt the Shaman's warm breath tickle her skin. She tensed waiting for the bite. "It's ok," Toby whispered. "He's done." She hadn't felt a thing. She opened her eyes to see the Shaman spit into a paper towel and toss the wad into a small fire, burning brightly in the makeshift fireplace. She noticed the wary glance he shot at Toby. She didn't have to hear his words to know that somehow, Roark had gotten her to drink his blood.

Anna blinked back a tear. "Can you help me?" She was still unwilling to admit the truth to Toby and even though the Shaman was something like a doctor, she couldn't tell a stranger about the mental assault.

The Shaman frowned. To the best of his knowledge, there was nothing he could do to help the frightened woman. He stood and walked over to his collection of jars. Sifting through them and making his selection, he mixed bits of herbs from the different containers and put them into a plastic bag. "Use this and make a tea. It will help you to rest."

"Doc, thank you for your help." Toby pocketed the bag and helped Anna to her feet. "I'll get her settled in for the night," he said. Nodding at the Shaman, he added, "I'll make sure she drinks the tea."

Chapter 13

Anna was exhausted and the night passed quickly, yielding to the wee hours of dawn. She sat on the edge of a marble tub, wrapped tightly in a towel, waiting for Toby to put the finishing touches on the bathwater. When he was satisfied, he stepped back and helped her climb in.

The water was soothing. The air was filled with the soft, fresh aroma of jasmine scented bubble bath. Heat invaded every pore, easing her tight, stressed muscles. She sighed to the comfort as Toby guided her head, resting it on the soft, plastic covered pillow. She sighed contentedly when he turned on the jets. Currents of bubbles massaged every inch of her body.

"Anna will you be ok for a few minutes? I need to go check on a few things before we settle in for the day." He was deeply concerned for her and wanted to talk to Doc alone.

"Sure," Anna replied with bravado. "I'm going to be right here soaking in all of this luxury." She dipped her washcloth into the steamy water and positioned it over her eyes, hiding them from his view. She wanted to protect him from the fear she felt, worried that he would see it in her eyes.

Anna let her body drift, relaxing each muscle one by one. Toby was gone and she was alone, enjoying a private moment, as private as she could get, knowing she wasn't alone in her head. She forced the horror of the day far from her mind and focused on the soft whirring sound of the air jets, sealing her thoughts off in a corner where they couldn't hurt her. Emotionally exhausted and drained, her caffeine and sugar buzz quickly fizzled out and she slowly succumbed to the dark world of dreams.

"Anna, you came to me," Roark said softly. The second she'd fallen asleep, her shields dropped and he was able to invade. Another round of his game was beginning.

The deep tenor of his voice sent chills of panic down her spine. She struggled to open her eyes, to wake up. "No!" she shouted in her dream. Suddenly, she was falling down into a warm bed of sand. She could feel its coarse grain against her back. Opening her eyes, she stared into the darkness of his.

"Yes, Anna. This is where you really want to be."

"No, I don't." She struggled to say more in protest but his mouth covered hers, sucking the breath out of her lungs. His tongue invaded the dark space, finding hers, stroking and teasing it until she had no other choice but to respond. She felt his firm, smooth, muscular chest pressing against her breasts teasing the nipples to aching fullness. She didn't want this. She didn't want to feel the desire that he was stirring to life deep within her. She fought to hold on to reality. This was a dream, nothing more. He really wasn't here with her. It wasn't his hands touching her. It was all in her head.

"Your body is exquisite. The way mine fits, molding against your curves, perfect." Anna fought him like a tigress. Which only made him want her more. His hold on her mind was an iron grip. He could command her to do anything. Unfortunately, nestled so deeply in the brothers' stronghold, he could not will her out of the compound. Over a hundred miles separated them and he did not dare to tread too deeply into their territory at the moment.

"No!" Anna gasped as Roark ran his hands along the bend of her hip inching them around to grasp her buttocks. In the distance, she heard the roaring of the tide, the waves breaking and lapping against the shore. The warm water softened the sand beneath her body, rising and then receding, caressing her skin with each pulse. He pressed on, sliding his hands around her hips easing his thumbs around teasing the tender flesh on her inner thighs.

"You want more."

"No." Reluctantly she opened her eyes, expecting to see him looming over her. But, there was nothing but darkness. This wasn't real. She struggled to wake up. But, his hold on her mind was too strong. His hands continued their assault guiding her thighs apart. She resisted, but was powerless against him. Water surged between her legs. It was deeper now, lapping at her earlobes. Fear gripped her as fingers tickled and teased the most sensitive areas of her body. She moaned as he slid them into her wet flesh. She couldn't help herself, she was responding to his touch. Part of her wanted more. Part of her was repulsed and ashamed of her desire. "Please stop."

"You don't really mean it. I can feel your desire. I know how much you want me. Come to me Anna. Come to me. I could make you feel things you've never felt before. Give yourself to me. You know you can't fight me. Just let go and give in."

Roark was right. She did want him. As disgusted as she was with the thought, she wanted him. She moaned and bucked her hips as he slid between her legs. Driving his desire home, he filled her and claimed her body. He was ruthless, plunging in and withdrawing with swift strokes. Unwittingly, she was carried away with him. Crying out his name, breaking to a shuddering crescendo with panting gasps.

"Yes, my Anna.! You will come to me and I'll take you in the flesh. We are one." Roark opened his eyes, closing the link. Grinning, pleased with himself, he felt the moisture of his release spread across the front of his trousers. He was breaking her. Filling her mind with doubts and fear. She would wear down, soon.

Still trapped in the dream, Anna slept. The tide rushed in, filling her ears and flowing over her mouth and nose. She coughed and sputtered, choking on the warm salty waves. Strong hands lifted her body, pulling her out of the surge. Coughs racked through her body. Her chest felt like it was on fire. She heard a voice, strong and familiar it called to her. Slowly, awakening, she opened her eyes.

1...678910...32