Dawn's Promise

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'll catch up with you later Chance," John Mark said. "I gotta get back to candy pants over there." He hitched his thumb to the mat. He shook his head, if only they were all as easily trained as Chance had been. Neil was going to take a lot of work. Hard work.

Candace leaned into Will and gripped Chance's hand tightly in hers as Dane laid it all out for them. She cringed, trying to block the worst of her fears from her mind. The agony and suffering of her own conversion was the only point of reference she had to go by. Although, she was sure she didn't remember everything, what she could recall was bad enough. Cold... endless cold... so bad it seared as it spread through her body like fire. She could only hope it wouldn't be the same for her son. The thought of Chance suffering like that brought tears to her eyes.

"It's ok, Mom. I'm ready," Chance said softly, prying his fingers out of her too tight grip. She held on to him so tightly that his fingers were numb. Finally he worked his hand free, wincing as pins and needles ran through his fingers.

Candace exhaled a sad breath. Her son had less than forty-eight hours left as a human. She assumed she should be happy for him. Thrilled that he had chosen to follow such a noble path. But, she couldn't help but think of all the things he'd never enjoy again. All the simple things humans took for granted. Things she'd never thought of until they were gone. "Chance is there anything you want before this happens? How about a special meal, your favorites? Anything?"

Will sensed Chance's nervousness. He sensed Candace's unease and worry. But there was nothing he could say to quell their fears. He had a few of his own. He knew there was a risk, a slight one, that Chance would not survive the ceremony. Drained to his last breath and transfused with vampire blood, if the magic didn't take hold, there'd be no pulling Chance back. He'd die.

Will clung to his faith in Kokumthena and the Great Father. Chance hadn't gone through everything to die. Will didn't believe it for a minute. He hadn't gone through the years without his son to watch him die.

Dane explained the ceremony in very great detail. He was almost clinical, factual in his description. He couldn't let emotion or his own concerns become a factor in altering Chance's decision. He was a leader and this was his duty. But, still, he couldn't squash the worry niggling in the back of his mind. It had taken the combined efforts and blood of all his brothers to turn Alex. Chance was to become a warrior. The Great Father and the Prophet would be giving Chance their blood. Chance would drink from all the brothers, share in their, their strength, and their magic. The goddess had a plan for Chance and it didn't include death, at least, not yet. Dane refused to believe otherwise.

Chance was too nervous and wound up to think about food. The thought of a last meal made it sound too much like he was going to an execution. This was a new chapter of his life, a beginning, not an end. In his mind he'd already gone over the long list of things he'd be giving up. But, the hopes he pinned on what he'd be gaining far outweighed what he'd be sacrificing. There was one thing he'd like to do, one last loose end to tie up. "I'd like to go to the house and get the rest of my stuff."

"Ok." Candace wasn't about to argue with Chance and protest that it wasn't a "house" but his home. This was his day and as far as she was concerned, she'd do anything he could to make him happy. "Let me get ready."

"No Mom, alone." Chance wanted to pack his things sift through them and pick out the few treasures he owned with out her hovering over him. He didn't resent her or even mind her constant worry. But, this was something he needed to do on his own. A final tribute to his old life.

Dane nodded in agreement. "I think we can arrange to let you use a SUV for a few hours. There hasn't been any Rogue activity in the city for a while now. It'll be perfectly safe," he said, acknowledging Will's frown. "But just to be on the safe side, I'll alert the trackers." He shrugged off Chance's scowl at the thought of having a baby sitter assigned to him. "You won't even know they're there."

Chance would spend a virtual eternity sharing his thoughts and feelings with others. A fact Dane understood all too well. The boy wanted a few fleeting moments of privacy. A simple luxury Dane could accommodate. He riffled through his pockets and tossed a set of keys and a cell phone to Chance. "Call if you have any problems. We'll talk more when you get back."

Chance took the keys and shoved the cell phone deep into his pocket. Briefly, he hugged his mom and nodded to Will. "I won't be gone long." He was itching to get out of the compound and onto the black stretch of open road.

Chance grinned as he turned the key in the ignition and felt the powerful V8 engine roar to life. "Oh yeah," he muttered with a grin, stomping down on the gas pedal. The SUV was like a slick black predator ready to spring into action at his command. Sliding into drive he navigated out of the garage and onto the narrow lane leading to the highway. "This is going to be fun." He howled in joy at the spray of gravel left in the SUV's wake and the sudden freedom of the open road.

Candace glanced at her watch roughly calculating how much time it would take Chance to arrive in the city, pack up his room, and get back. She had at least eight hours left to worry about him before he would return. She scowled at Will. "What if something happens to him?"

Will grabbed her wrist and freed her of the watch, stuffing it into his hip pocket. "Try not to worry. He'll be fine. Remember what we were doing at that age?"

"Why do you think I'm worried?" she replied, matching his grin. Will and she were deeply in love, so occupied with each other they could barely spend a moment apart. "He's got a full tank of gas and a bank card, now what kind of trouble could he possibly get into?" she asked, teasing. "I remember what it was like to be twenty." She nuzzled into Will's chest sighing in the comfort of his arms around her, "Please tell me everything is going to be ok."

Will wished he could. But, he wouldn't make a promise that was out of his control to keep. He tightened his embrace around her narrow shoulders, settling for the one promise he could keep. "I love you."

Chapter 52

Chance had the unfortunate luck to arrive at the outer edge of the city right at rush hour. "Great," he cursed under his breath. Slowing to accommodate the oncoming stream of traffic yielding onto the interstate, he honked at a rusty Toyota barely keeping pace. "I could squash you like a bug" he grumbled, smashing his foot to the gas pedal to pass. He turned up the radio, sending the glass rattling beneath an assault of thumping bass, ignoring the tangled knot of cars zipping in and out of traffic around him.

Candace wrapped her fingers against the edge of her laptop. Transferring the last of her exhausted savings account into checking, she was officially broke. Although, she was a vampire, practically immortal, what the world would call "the undead" she was still a law abiding, tax paying U.S. citizen and as such, she had bills to pay. If she was judicious, she could perhaps make it another month, maybe two.

"Damn," she muttered, wondering why was she even bothering to pay the next installment on her health and life insurance policies. It wasn't like she was ever going to post a claim. Snorting under her breath, she wondered if she could cash in on her life insurance. Better not to try. With a few swift clicks on the keyboard, she cancelled the policies. Without the extra expense, she could make her house payment next month.

"You know the offer is still open. You could sell the house and move in with me," Will said gently, peering over her shoulder at the screen, frowning at the numbers in her account. He admired her tenacity, even if it bordered on stubbornness. "I could give you a loan."

Candace fervently shook her head. She'd never been one to take handouts. She and Chance had made through tighter times than this. "No, everything is fine. Just paying some bills."

Will clamped his mouth shut. There was no need to force her to face the obvious, not yet. She wouldn't be able to keep the house or hold a job, not for very long. People would get suspicious as time passed and she aged a matter of days when compared to their years. She couldn't remain known to the world as Candace Anderson, not forever. "Ok, but if you need anything, just ask." He walked away giving her some privacy. Once she figured it out for herself, then they'd talk.

******

The house was dark and silent as Chance let himself in. Everything still looked the same. The same carpet, curtains, furniture. Just like he'd left it almost a month ago. But somehow, the house seemed foreign to him. Empty. He flipped on a trail of lights as he made his way to his room. Even his once most sacred and private space seemed cold and lifeless. As if it belonged to someone else and he was an intruder.

He shrugged, the last time his mother was here, she must have picked up the endless litter of burger wrappers and empty pop cans. The space was neat and tidy, not the mess he remembered. And even less like a home than before. Chance broke down all of the contents of his room into two piles, a keep and a throw away pile.

Sadly, he ran his fingers over the glossy pages of his once coveted and carefully hidden collection of Playboys. "Girls, it's been a fun ride, but I have to say goodbye." He chuckled tossing the dog-eared magazine back onto the toss pile. His keep pile was certainly smaller than his trash pile by comparison. There were some things, no matter how trivial they might seem to someone else, he couldn't bear to part with. Mainly, his competition trophies, a few well-read books with tattered and worn covers, and a few items of clothing that his mother had forgotten to pack.

Once he finished loading the SUV with his treasures, he scouted around for some trash bags to stuff the leftovers into. He jumped and blinked in surprise, seeing the vampire lounged across his bed, casually flipping through one of his abandoned Playboys. "Nice, very nice," the vampire said, glancing up at Chance.

Chance cocked his head more than a little confused by the guy's appearance. He was one of his mother's friends and they'd met before. "Marcus?"

"Hi," Marcus said tossing the magazine into the pile on the floor. Word traveled fast in the vampire community and he'd heard word of the kid's upcoming conversion. When the trackers received the call and orders from Dane, he'd volunteered for the task of watching over the kid. Ok, so he had an ulterior motive. He wanted to know how Candace was doing. "Big day tomorrow."

"Yeah." Chance motioned for Marcus to hold the trash bag open for him. He scooped up a handful of Playboys, their covers slick and cool against his fingers, and dropped them into the bag. "I thought you left?"

"Well, I was going to. But, it seems I've got a knack for this tracking business." Marcus shrugged, holding the black bag open wide as Chance filled it. "Lance and Bryce, they're good guys."

Chance sat back on his haunches and looked up at Marcus. The guy was so not hanging around for a chat. "What are you really doing here?" Marcus might have been an expert at selling bullshit to some people, but not to him. Chance could see through the thin superficial well natured small talk. Marcus wanted something.

"How's your mother been?" Marcus asked, cutting to the chase. He yanked another trash bag from the roll and with a flick of his wrist, snapped it open.

"Fine." Chance wasn't about to feed Marcus any information. If he wanted to know how his mother was, he could stop by or call her and ask her himself. Quit being such a chicken-shit and own up to how he'd left things. His mother had cried for days over how things ended between them. She took all the blame and guilt upon herself. While Marcus had been playing Boy Scout with the trackers.

"That's good," Marcus said, weakly nodding his head. He doubted if Chance was going to give him anything useful. The kid was too intuitive, just like his mother. "Well. I guess I'd better slink off into the shadows and let you finish up." He tied up the bulging overflowing trash bag and lifted it over his shoulder. These Playboys would be put to good use. Since holing up at Lance and Bryce's place, affectionately known as the pit, he hadn't gotten out to do much socializing with the opposite sex. And he needed something to take his mind off of Her. "I'll toss this into the dumpster for you."

"Thanks." Chance turned back to the pile at his feet. It was good to know his Playboy collection wasn't going to waste. Marcus was a little old for the whole spank and yank thing. But, then again, maybe, vampire or human, some things you never out grew.

"Ah, could you do me a favor?"

Chance rocked back on his heels and hesitantly looked up at Marcus. If the guy was going to ask for a little blood donation to tide him over, he was barking up the wrong tree. "Sure."

"Let your mom know I'm still around. You know if she ever wants or needs to talk. I'm here for her." Marcus hefted the trash bag up over his shoulder. "And, good luck tomorrow." He didn't envy the kid what waited for him. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't imagine anyone voluntarily choosing this life.

Chance smiled, nodding his head. He had no intentions of passing along any messages. But, Marcus didn't need to know that. "Thanks," he said turning his back and pretending to straighten the bed as Marcus left with the trash bag in tow. Chance took a long last glance at his former room. It was neat as a pin devoid of personal effects, looking as if he'd never occupied the small cramped space at all. He felt the slightest twinge of regret as he flipped off the lights one last time.

His stomach rumbled in complaint. Maybe, a farewell dinner to humanity wasn't such a bad idea. He scrambled up into the high driver's seat and glanced at the dashboard clock. Even though it was dark outside, it was still relatively early. Chance ran through his mental inventory of friends. But, couldn't think of anyone he wanted to enjoy a last meal with. All of his previous friends seemed dull and shallow. He wanted to eat with someone who could understand the turmoil running through his mind. Pulling out the cell phone, he flipped through the list of encrypted contact numbers, Anna's wasn't listed, but Toby was. Odds were, where Toby was, Anna wasn't far away.

"Talk to me," Toby barked into the phone. He was still at Anna's house. Having spent the day perusing the city looking for supplies while she worked. Now, they were wrapped up in a thick, soft, down blanket cuddling contentedly on the couch.

"Actually, can I talk to Anna? I thought she might like to have dinner with someone who actually eats." Chance gritted his teeth at the tone of Toby's voice and hoped the guy didn't take offence.

"She'd love to. I was sitting here pondering what to feed her for supper. Dude, thanks for bailing me out," Toby's voice softened, became downright friendly, once he realized the encrypted number on the cell phone was Chance calling and not Dane ordering him back to the compound.

Chance chuckled. "I'll pick her up in a few." He keyed Anna's address into the GPS on the dash and flipped on the turn signal. He'd let her choose the place. When he through of it in the terms of his last meal, he couldn't decide on exactly what it was he wanted to eat. How did a condemned man choose?

Toby filled Anna in as she hurriedly dressed. "He wants to go out to dinner with me?" she asked, befuddled. If it were her last night, what would she want to do? Who would she choose to spend it with? What favorite delicacy would she want to eat?

"I think he wants a little human companionship. We're not very good company at the dinner table," Toby reminded her gently.

"That's true." Anna giggled, "When a vampire asks you to dinner, you'd better make sure you're not the main course."

"You're always on the menu." Toby grabbed her from behind and playfully nipped at her neck. The soft chiming of the doorbell interrupted them. " Ah, saved by the bell." He withdrew his hands from under her sweater and left her to finish dressing while he trotted to answer the door.

"Ok," Anna said, buckling in. She turned in the seat, studying Chance. "So, what are you in the mood to eat?" She'd been puzzling over someplace to suggest. Steak? Seafood? What would he want?

Chance shrugged and put the vehicle in drive. "I don't know. You decide."

Anna thought for a minute. "I know just the place. Hang a right at the corner." She knew a great neighborhood pub that served about anything a person could want to eat. Chance hardly seemed like a fancy restaurant or complicated meal kind of guy. She hoped her instincts were right and he found something on the menu worthy of a last meal. She forced a jovial and light mood, hoping he'd like her company as well. He'd asked something very important of her and she didn't want to disappoint him on any fronts.

Chapter 53

Candace paced nervously around the room. The sun had set and Chance hadn't come back from the city yet. "Where is he?" she grumbled in agitation.

"Please, stop worrying," Will said, tugging her arm to force her to sit next to him on the bed. He rolled his eyes as she shifted from pacing nervously to fidgeting. "Did you worry about him this much before?"

Candace shrugged her shoulders. "No. I didn't realize how fragile he was until..."

"Until you changed. He hasn't changed a bit. You have."

Candace's mind bucked at the impact of Will's words. He wasn't trying to be cruel or hurtful, but truthful. She had changed. Her whole life had. It wasn't any better or any worse, just different. "I'm sorry. I can't help but worry where Chance is concerned." She thought about what would happen tomorrow night. "I feel useless. There must be something I can do." She let Will ease her into the comfort of his arms.

"Be strong for him. He'll need to know that you support him. That you're there for him." He wished there was something more he could do for Candace. Tomorrow night, he'd have to bear witness to not only Chance's pain, but his mother's as well. He unclipped his cell phone and pressed speed dial. Candace needed support. Someone who could be the confidant he could not. "There's someone I want you to meet." He waited for Leigh to pick up. Leigh was Alex's mother. Perhaps, she could offer Candace some perspective, having witnessed her own child undergo the change recently.

Candace rode shotgun next to Will as they shimmied along the bumpy lane leading to the simple yet comfortable ranch home with it's bright welcoming windows and high pitched roof. She wondered why Will was bringing her to meet this person. She could tell from the scents wafting in the air, the person was human. A donor? She wasn't hungry. Following him up the steps and onto the weathered front porch, she waited as Will knocked on the weather beaten front door.

A pretty, middle-aged woman, short but with a nice figure and neatly styled blonde hair answered the door. Her brown eyes sparkled with warmth as she greeted them and stepped aside in invitation. "You must be Candace. Please, come in. My husband has told me so much about your son, Chance, isn't it?"

"Yes it is." Candace accepted the woman's invitation, finding herself in a comfortable living room a warm welcoming fire blazing in the natural stone fireplace. The woman's speech and walk was familiar. Her habits reminded Candace of someone she'd recently met. Alex. "You're Alex's mom?" she asked.

1...3233343536...39